Is Persona 3 a good starting point to get into JRPGs?

Is Persona 3 a good starting point to get into JRPGs?

Nocturne

Nope.
Xenogears/ffvii/Chrono trigger are just as bad

Nocturne

Yeah it is decent, it is just fairly text heavy at the start of the game.

No. Persona 3 is a trash jRPG stapled onto a dating sim/VN.

You want a good introduction to jRPGs? You play this masterpiece right here. Quintessential jRPG.

Pokemon

>Terrible dungeons.
>Some of the worst pacing in any medium ever.

Just play Chrono Trigger or something.

I like it, but it's a story focused game with bad dungeons. Nocturne is much better to get into Megaten with.

>Trying to start a anime thread in a subtle way like this

Pretty much what this guy said. The VN bit is a huge portion of the game. If that's your thing then go for it. Otherwise I'd pick something else

>starting a series with the eighth game

Persona 3 is fine. The Story bits are actually good.

P3's Tartarus is really fucking tedious, but Persona 4 has dogshit writing.

P5 seems to be fixing those issues though.

He's needs better bait. For example
What's some subtle vidya references.

Yeah it's fine. The only thing that might turn you off is Tartarus, which is a 265 floor dungeon you have to complete.

Obviously the intermediate Final Fantasies are a good starting point too (IV,V,VI,VII). Chrono Trigger, Suikoden, etc. Persona 4 is probably a better starting point. Not saying it's the better game, but it is easier.

Yeah, choose generic RPG version 8.0. Neato suggestion right there, bud.

>shittalking DQ
I will end you nigger.

I would suggest Chrono Trigger.

>people suggesting Chrono Trigger
I'll never understand why its so damn popular. Its piss fucking easy, even by jRPG standards.

No, being unable to control your party members is stupid.

Due to how easy it is get to you.

Magna Carta is the only PS2 RPG I recall playing that was even less enjoyable than DQ8. It's really not worth playing.

It depends on what you're looking for in an RPG and what annoys you.

P3 suffers from "if party leader gets KOd it's game over", in a game where 2 elements are purely dedicated to insta kills.

I would suggest Digital Devil Saga as something more accessible.

>Its piss fucking easy

I would argue that is the point. It's a short, easy game so you can get the multiple endings without making it a fucking chore.

>I would argue that is the point. It's a short, easy game so you can get the multiple endings without making it a fucking chore.
And I would argue that is trash game design.

>Short
>Simple
>Still somewhat unique compared to the "average" JRPG

Sounds like a good "baby's first x" game to me.

Make sure you power up with 'Oomph' first. You'll need it desperately.

its alright
stick with something like FFX

FF7 is great to get into jrpgs. I'd reckon it was the starting point for tons of people.

No, stupid

Start with FF7

Only if you want to hate RPGs forever. Play Chrono Trigger faggot.

I actually agree with this.

FFX is customizable, but can also really hold your hand at times.

It also has the worst kind of Blue Magic in the entire series, so any other game with Blue Magic will seem fun compared to Kihmari's bullshit.

Thats not DQ5.

DQV is an RPGmaker game.

You can't even tell who your playable character is in FFVII

OP here, I think I'm going to go with Persona 3 because I've played a bit of it before and it seems pretty easy. If I like it enough to finish the whole game I think I'll play Nocturne too, that one looks decent. But for Persona 3, original or FES?

fes
literally no reason not to. Have fun

FES.

>If I like it enough to finish the whole game
P3 is a game that seems good when you start, but the more you play, the more you realize it fucking sucks.

*Wave of Ice*

no, the best way of getting into JRPGs is beggining with stuff like the Mario RPGs
sans Sticker Star, they're all gateway JRPGs that are pretty damn good to boot

then you can branch out into stuff like Pre-FFX Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest

you'll get bored of P3 since you surely haven't developed a taste in turn based combat yet

I thought the opposite tho

It's like an rpg crossed with a visual novel with all of the social links and stuff.

Everything is done really well except for the trash dungeons.

Elizabeth best waifu btw

No. Don't play any Persona, SMT, or spinoff game. They'll ruin other JRPGs for you because nothing can compare.

> They'll ruin other JRPGs for you because nothing can compare.

Dragon Quest is boring as fuck, though. They stay too """"classic"""" for their own good.

>elitism.exe

I'll suck Digital Devil Saga's dick all day, but nigga, really?

P4 has more content and way better dungeons

P3 has characters with actual development, and a dark edgy story with shit constantly going down.

This. Take the high-quality gateway drug before taking the real thing.

Paper Mario or TTYD are your best bets to start out.

>generic RPG
Kind of the point, innit? Dude wants an introduction to Japanese RPGs, the perfect representation of what JRPGs have to offer is recommended and you think that's somehow a bad choice. I think you're daft, m8.

Naw, best way is through games that are interesting to them. Persona 3 isn't wickedly difficult and he is interested in it so it is a perfect point for him.

>P3 has characters with actual development, and a dark edgy story with shit constantly going down.
While that's definitely true the pacing is horrible at first since it takes forever for anything to start happening.

Fuck no. Only play DQ8 if you want to lose all desire to play jrpgs. Boring as fuck.

play persona 2

just post lewds of this slut already

WARNING TO ALL THREADS

GOOK MOOT JUST REMOVED ALL IMAGE UPLOADING

WARNING TO ALL THREADS

GOOK MOOT JUST REMOVED ALL IMAGE UPLOADING

THIS IS NOT A DRILL

Play P3FES. If you can't deal with not being able to directly control your party or find tartarus tedius play P4.

What the fuck it's true

How will anyone make threads

no cturne

why cant i post an image

They are legit the kind of games where nothing happens for the first couple of hours (or in P4's case AN ENTIRE CENTURY). It feels awful when you recommend these games to someone knowing damn well they will have to experience those kind of intros.

Currently playing Innocent Sin. I wouldn't say it's very accessible or friendly for somebody who is just starting to get into RPGs, but I do have to say it's a must play. Eikichi is a real nigga.

hell's bells, I hear persona 3 is harder than the back of god's head

[smug satania face i cant post]

>I'll suck Digital Devil Saga's dick all day
Out of all the Megaten titles you could've chosen to suck and you went for one of the dullest, most boring ones.

If you like getting your fucking ass absolutely handed to you because you didn't realize the importances of weaknesses, immunities, buffs, debuffs etc and came to a boss battle with the wrong personas yeah. There's a definite learning curve to SMT and Persona games more than most Turn based JRPGs.

>SMT is hardcore

loving
every
laugh

Who is this semen demon and why do I have an uncontrollable urge to bully her?

i'll have you know she is packing heat, you should not bully her

>Currently playing Innocent Sin
Which versions of each do you play? I know that there's psp ports and psx fan translations.

I know, I should have said Jack Bros.

I want to skewer her with my cock

By jrpg standards it sure is "hardcore".
You can actually die to bosses, if you get unlucky random encounter can wipe your party, this was mindblowing to me back then i played your usual grandia type baby first jrpgs.

I bet she didn't even load the gun correctly! What a dork!

I'm playing IS on the PSP, cuz I think that one didn't come to the US on the PSOne.

On the other hand, Eternal Punishment came out here on the PSOne but not on the PSP.

>fan translations

As long as they are not NEVER EVER tier as SMT If...'s it should be fine, right

the PSP versions of each game are improved (bar some dumb censored graphics) but only innocent sin was localized
eternal punishment has a shoddy PS1 localization, the fan translation of the PSP version is taking an eternity and just uses a modified PS1 script so it's hardly worth waiting for
i haven't played the fan translation of innocent sin PS1 but from screenshots i've seen it doesn't look much better than the atlus USA localization
so just play innocent sin on PSP and eternal punishment on PS1 like everyone else does

just started persona 1 last night actually. the music doesn't exactly bother me, but it feels like too many songs are voiced overall. hell most of them sound fine but it feels wierd going to the city map and having singing then going to a room to have different singing and woah battle time aka time to sing.

is that the recommended order or does it matter?

Just with that I knew you were talking about the PSP version.

Yeah, they're nice songs, but it seems like they were made more to mach the soundtracks of 3 and 4 than to actually match the game itself.

But the other option is playing the original, and you don't want that.

Persona 3 is good but it's not something you should play to get into JRPGs

it matters a lot, eternal punishment is the direct sequel to innocent sin. atlus USA fucked up hard localizing them out of order.

>Dude wants an introduction to Japanese RPG
Not dude was just wanting to shipost and post anime reactions images, by hiroman trashed his plan with no survivors

No, but great for getting into visual novels!

it would be nice if there were a translation patch for the playstation and windows versions free of dubbing, nig mark or being otherwise touched by atlus USA. a man can dream.

>Magna Carta
Thanks for reminding this exist.
>almost at end of game MC gets coutner all skill which literally counters any attack
Well it was nice of them to actually have it in battle and not just in cutscenes, but who thought this was good game design?

t. portablefag

what's wrong with the original? is it lacking content or is it just archaic

Let's just say it had a very interesting localization.

black mark.jpg

It's 4kidz tier localization.
>Japan changed to USA
>One of members becomes black(not actually they just painted him black and put baseball cap on him)
I never beated it so dunno waht else was changed, i think they removed some secret dungeon?

ah I see, well it's not like the music necessarily is bad, just overdone I guess you could say.

The Snow Queen route got axed.

Underrated.

They removed the entire Snow Queen route and they changed the spell names. As if the amount of elements in the game wasn't infuriating, coming from any of the other games and trying to tell what the fuck is going on is bullshit.

>Action rpg

Great game
Dunno if best place to start

Can't go wrong with FINAL FANTASY VII if you want entry-level stuff to get into classical JRPG's. You could also try FF10 as well.

Persona 3 has an Amazing OST though.

Grab the FF X remaster. It didn't age as bad as some other games here (well, it's a remaster) and it's still a great game.

it's no man's land no man ever survived

Play Chrono Trigger instead, it's the perfect gateway JRPG.

Still better than generic waifu simulator 3.0

Also, try FF4,5,or 6 as well to get into 2D JRPG's.

>Still better than generic waifu simulator 3.0
>They literally added Jessi marriage because lonely autists demanded it in 3ds remake
No, John. You are the waifus.