At what point do melee and summoning become non shit in this game?

at what point do melee and summoning become non shit in this game?

Other urls found in this thread:

terraria.gamepedia.com/Summon_weapons#Tavernkeep.27s_sentries
youtube.com/watch?v=8F3CBQxi0yI
youtube.com/watch?v=93fxc8SCF3g
youtube.com/watch?v=ydX8dISSwqc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Vanilla
When you get a Yoyo (of appropriate level) or Summoning Staff of appropriate level and armor, respectively.
So Summoner not before Hard Mode, Melee, whenever you get a Yoyo that does decent damage.
>Modded
Immediately if you make sure to check all the recipes.

What are the recommended mods?

Depends on how much you wanna torture yourself. I personally run Thorium, Tremor, and Calamity, although many swear you should skip Tremor entirely and I generally agree with them. It's a bit of a fucking mess.
Spirit Mod is also good.

get spider and babb shotgun to kill every single fucking thing in the game

Tremor should be skipped because it's shit and garbage, Calamity should be skipped if running amongst Thorium as it's content makes Thorium worthless

modded server where

How finished/playable is Calamity?

>melee
after the brain/worm
>summoning
never

Summoning is consistently lower dps than other classes with the garbage survivability of a dps. Its hard mode++

it's okay, bossfights are nice but it's a tad bit overloaded and anime and the creator is kind of fuckwad.

That's good, I guess. 400 hours is more than enough play time

For Melee is when you get the Blue moon and underworld weapons
For Summoner is when you get the imp staff. Hardmode you evolve to an enchanted sword for melee and the spider set with armor for summoner.

don't spiders make you unable to attack enemies thanks to mini invurn or some shit?

Summoning is only hard if your the kind of stubborn shit like Chippy that doesn't branch out with other weapons. I don't have the patience waiting on minions so of course I'd use a weapon too.

>builds
it isn't a rpg.

Well the only reason you'd ever go after black recluse is for the spider set and the imp staff attacks through walls, so not much of an issue there.

an*

Summoner never becomes good because it cant avoid the inherent problems of the class. Mods mitigate the issues but the AI remains horridly dysfunctional. Summons won't split up to cover multiple angles which other weapons can, they deal mediocre dps especially to bosses, they lack the movement speed or reach to keep up with the end-game dodge movement in bossfights.

Melee is broken as fuck if you get a jojo kit, swords are fucking garbage though.

>Summoner
>Warrior
>Ranger
>mage
>multiple armor sets with specific bonuses
>trinkets that only improve one form of attack
>buffs that increase only one form of weapon attack like magic or archery
It's as rpg as it gets.

No, even using a regular weapon you're either massively gimping your damage or crit rate because you don't have item slots for both, since summons can't crit, the stat is worthless for summoner, which is another huge handicap since crits deal double damage before armor reduction.

Unfortunately true. The best use for summoner is afk farms.

It's also not even mentioning that summons are all about many quick hits that do a very poor job of dealing with boss armor, with maybe the exception of the imp staff actually doing at least some significant damage to higher armor enemies, but that's only pre-hardmode.

Try the bee shit on skeletron expert mode and they just do fuck all damage, might as well not even have them, imps still do fuck all damage overall because their aim is awful and skeletron generally moves too much with his hands which are the only part that takes real damage in the first part of the fight.

Why would anybody play as a low budget knock off mage or a knuckle dragging savage when you can be a powerful, god killing wizard?

>back when tmodloader was more of a piece of shit standalone mods were the hype
>one had a button that would let you move summons or make them target specific mobs
>summon all possible spiders, target boss and play with one hand to dodge attacks
good times

as soon as you get the apache

>still no IP posted
for what reason

>tfw Terraria blew up and is thriving, fully eatablished and loved by many
>Starbound collapsed, failed and is vilified to the point of no return
What the fuck happened? I just wanted Terraria in space. Ijust wanted more plantfu's.

the entirety of chucklefish happened to it.

Starbound is fine.

despite the game being 100% ass, I quite enjoyed the /vg/ community while it lasted

a shame sue's server couldn't handle more than 10 people because of the atrocious coding of the game/server

member vampire knives

>it was either 8 players max on one mirrion planets
>or playing with people ERPing in global chat (the only chat)
at that point in time, I realized what a fucking mess the game was

That's what happens when you get a bunch of artists on a team and not enough designers/coders.
They focused way too much on art and sprites and fucking 7 dialogue lines for every piece of furniture in the game and forgot about the rest of the game. Not as bad as it once was, but that's not saying much.

I know. And it's fucking depressing. Of all teams to come up with it it had to be fucking chucklefuck. Why not Risk of Rain guys? Pretty sad that this type of 2d game lacks a single god damn worm enemy.

i expected too much and honestly should have realized the horribleness to come when they decided to flip flop due to "the community" on how they were gonna update the game

The game had no content, was run by narcissistic assholes, and was just terrible in general.
The music and world building are admittedly far better than Terraria.

Summoner is inherently broken because you heavily rely on an automatic AI that is very mediocre.

Summoner would be much cooler if you could also actually summon stuff in combat, like raise zombies from the ground or summon a giant meteor to fall from the skies, not just the "summon 4 to 12 asshole critters to do the job for you (in a mediocre way).

>risk of rain guys
>guys
creator of the OST doesn't count as a team member

this

>Calamity should be skipped if running amongst Thorium as it's content makes Thorium worthless
Wait, so is Calamity better or Thorium?

I assume when you say "focused on sprites" it was build items yes? Because the would be main focus sprite enemies are all fucking bad. Not even sure how they all qualify as enemies really, just rejected pokemon. Not a single fucking thing that looks even remotely threatening.

Calamity has much more powerful items, armor and accessories than Thorium, though really you'll only ever start ignoring Thorium entirely once you get into the Post-Moon Lord fluff.

Thorium > Calamity > Tremor "doge vanity" Remastered

Blame Red's spaghetti coding. Having actual summoning abilities that go outside projectles is almost impossible to create in Terraria. Hopefully the non-fucked Otherworld and Terraria 2 will have real summoning shit. And even sub-classes like necromancers and warlocks.

>Having actual summoning abilities that go outside projectles is almost impossible to create in Terraria.
well that's just plain wrong

Explain. Every Summoner item is just projectile throwing or touch damage. You don't summon any real minions like suicide skeletons or zombie hordes.

That's literally just because they haven't done anything like that, they made two types of summons and called it a night and focused on those two types of summons.
Considering you can make that one worm summon really long by constantly using up summon slots to make it longer, it's obvious you could do said things, they just haven't done it for some god forsake reason.

Yeah, there's a huge amount of furniture in the game all with pretty good spritework. But for some reason, they really shit the bed on the few static monsters they have, and the generated ones all look like they were copied out of a child's sketchbook.

They really fucked up with the procedural generation in this game. All the planets feel the exact same, all the caves feel the exact same. Even the pre-built parts of the game like the temples and underground rooms you can find are shit because after 10 minutes of exploring one, you know that every other thing you find like it is going to be the exact fucking same. Every piece like that is just crudely slapped onto the terrain and you can really tell.

I mean fuck, they even have pre-built hills in the terrain generator. Why?

the furniture looks like ass
>half of the furniture is some kind of 3D isometric looking shit
>chair points towards the sides of the screen while a table is flat

>melee
yoyos and such are nice against monsters but melee is by far much worse than magic/range against bosses until you get something with decent range like flairon
>summoning
only good for afk grinding, only becomes good for active playing after you get the stardust dragon, at which point you're pretty much done with the game anyway

>melee
yoyos are fucking broken
>summoning
almost impossible to do a pure summoning without taking advantage of exploits

You can, there is a set of items that does exactly that.
terraria.gamepedia.com/Summon_weapons#Tavernkeep.27s_sentries

Did you completely missed that crossover event or something?

I didn't really pay attention to the event and ignored it, good to know that it's at least been buffed a little bit but most of the weapons there don't seem to carry all the way to endgame, so that's lame.

True, also they more or less act exactly like spider queen/hydra so it isn't as nice as "summons that acted more like short term attacks" but if going pure summoner on a run then spamming Ballista is basically the closest you can get to having a real attack as a summoner as each time it is summoned it attack right away.

This game could use more furniture and block/general decorating options. Some easy way to break up monotony in early-game, wood-and-stone, zombie-blocking chump huts.

>Terraria
Hardworking devs who continue to put out major updates long after game is finished
>Starbound
Lazy incompetent fuckbints who lacked actual programmers for the majority of the "development" cycle and took several years to put out a half-finished low content game

>almost impossible to do a pure summoning without taking advantage of exploits

This is a playthrough of a pure summoner character on hardcore that doesn't ever even attack a mob without a summoning staff
youtube.com/watch?v=8F3CBQxi0yI

That intro is insanely autistic.

Yrimir had a better summoner playthrough

I think the main issue about terraria is that it's somewhat like of an MMO, they constantly went up and up as the game evolved and now the gameplay might as well be considered "sperg tier" at the very end.

Wings were a nice addition to the game but they made it impossible to make bosses that weren't just floaty heads.

The Destroyer was good

But the bosses are always just a floaty heads?
Even the first boss is one.

>getting to hardmode as a melee user
>every sword is a ranged weapon with a sword skin ontop
shameful

>Summoner
You don't use summoner for bosses, you use it for mooks. Not for pure damage, but just to keep them off your back. They massively reduce the amount of effort you personally need to put into anything. They're especially useful for when you're constructing anything anywhere, and work very well for grinders.

Also, keep in mind that some summons will autofire upon summoning, and yet others have contact damage, so resummoning a minion or turret repeatedly is a solid and effective tactic, even through walls. I'm not sure if the bee shoots right away, but I know the imp sure does. In particular however this tactic is most effective with the Explosive Mine and the Ballista summons.

Really, if you want to use Summoner for bosses though, it's probably to your advantage to treat the class as a "legitimate hybrid" class by using weapons of other classes and using the Avenger Emblem rather than any particular specialized upgraded emblem.

In early Hardmode, the spiders are fucking terrifyingly good at killing anything, bosses included. Personally though I'd strongly suggest doing Skeletron Prime first, as he moves around the least of all Mech Bosses. After that point, you can access Tier 2 of The Old One's Army invasion, which will allow you to get the Hybrid Sentry Summoner sets.

Monk can be made to work quite well with The Destroyer as a bunch of the lightning auras stacked up will fuck multiple segments real bad, though Huntress isn't terrible either. As for The Twins, I find typically Apprentice or Huntress to work best, the former for a decent and consistent rate of fire plus magic boost, and the latter to coax the Twins into floating around a bunch of stacked mines, plus Ranged boost. Squire you use to boost your survivability to the moon. You simply cannot die in that shit. It's not the fastest, but it works.

Boss targeting is built in now, funnily enough. Right click with any summon weapon to set a priority target.

I would argue the music was worse. The core theme song gets shoehorned into every other track at some point to try and get that sense of wonderment, but otherwise it's mostly ambient stuff that will make you fall asleep, rather than urge you on to action.

Terraria's music isn't a masterpiece by any means, but it suits it well and gets you hyped and energized, coaxing you emotionally to go that little bit extra further.

WUT

Yeah. In 1.3.4, the update that added The Old One's Army plus 4 new sentries with 3 tiers of strength and the ability to summon multiple sentries with the 8 new sets, they also added the ability to right click with summoning weapons to set priority target. If the summon "sees" that target, within their range, they'll always attack it before anything else. They don't follow very well but it happens.

Melee becomes not-shit once you start getting weapons that stop being melee weapons and start being infinite use magic weapons

>tfw playing thorium and throwuing weapons become great

it's too bad the final tiers of throwing items are consumables, though I guess the Terrarium throwing knife is good enough for general spamming

Terraria's music all fits with the areas you're in. Starbounds all sounds like the same one ambient song.

I mean I think it might just be one song.

>last update made consumable weapons(like grenades) it's own kind of damage instead of ranged damage so the become useless post-WoF and the only armors that makes them useful become useless too
for what fuking purpose

What do you think of what little of Otherworld's music we've heard so far?
youtube.com/watch?v=93fxc8SCF3g
I wanna hear the whole Corruption track, and Space reminds me of Deus Ex: Human Revolution's music.

why the fuck is everything so wobbly

Space is wobbly.
Jesus, that Corruption is a strong opener.
Hopefully the Boss fight track is a remix of it that draw out more drums.

Because it was an extremely early alpha build?

I don't understand why there aren't more armors for more esoteric stuff at end-game.

Like oh yeah throwing weapons cool too bad the strongest one in the base game is the Shadowflame Knife and the strongest armor related to them are all prehardmode

never, always go ranged or maybe yoyo

Piano pieces are always great with icey stuff so I'm looking forward to the Arctic biome.

I have to admit that a lot of this sounds "homestuckey" though

>Mediocre DPS
>The dragon fucking owns and you don't have to lift a damn finger

I keep seeing people say this but I've never once seen proof.

You're one of those people who think Runescape isn't an RPG right?

Stardust dragon is broken as fuck with max segments

You can also direct summons to attack what you want now

Shadowflame Knife is not a consumable weapon you mong, it's melee

I wonder if the music in this
youtube.com/watch?v=ydX8dISSwqc
Is the Crimson's music, or some kind of boss music?

magic is best build, prove me wrong
>Protip:you can't

I was looking at some fucked up information

Are guns good in this game?
Are there any good gun mods?

Not really, an RPG suggests progression based on a set of skills. Terraria has none

An RPG is not defined solely by the presence of skills, and even then, one could argue that the presence of accessories acts as sort of "equipped skills". The ability to dash, the ability to double jump or eventually fly, the ability to walk on water, survive in lava, or breathe underwater and move at the same pace as you would on land.

I agree, they definitely went too far with the mobility upgrades. Should have stopped with the horseshoe balloons+grappling hook.

Once you get actual full on flight boss design becomes impossible.

homestuck had some decent musicians behind it, so that doesn't really sound like a bad thing.

well i wasn't really trying to make it an insult but it does sound 'derivative' in that sense

>fish up frog legs
>get balloon
>get frost in bottle
>get shield
>use these 4 accessories up to endgame
mobility was a mistake

so besides Thorium (and besides Thorium's final boss), are there any other REALLY good mods with balanced bosses?

I hate these bosses that have bloated health just because and deal shitloads of damage, also just because. Like I'm looking at this Calamity Mod and the Devourer of Gods is just a worm boss except it only takes like 1/2 damage, has a million health, and travels super fast while constantly firing projectiles. Also it flies.

If you're looking for good bosses that aren't just Damage Sponges that shit out Liquid Death 24/7 outside of Thorium, you're shit out of luck because no one knows how to design bosses for hardmode.

>Summoner is bad for bosses
You can't be any more wrong.
Only if your timed, iirrc that basically excludes them from invasions. The passive damage means you can focus on mechanics and avoiding damage. Its fucking great for a new player going in blind/semi-blind.

Yeah its not "top DPS" but a dead dps isn't killing a boss. And a new player isn't going to stay alive in melee because of "muh dommeg". Every class has its own merits and Summoner has its own strengths. Unless your FARMING the fucking boss at which point you should be overgeared and doing metric fucks of damage to it anyway.

Nobody wants to design bosses for hardmode because the whole beginning can be bypassed and ends up becoming an overblown boss rush where you spend more time farming, crafting, and dicking around than you do actually having fun.

TLDR: Modded hardmode bosses are useless because you'll just end up skipping them anyway.

Did you just focus on the beginning of my post instead of reading the rest? Because the context provided would have easily made clear that I was specifically talking about how quickly you can clear bosses / how much damage you're outputting.

>no one knows how to design bosses for hardmode.
it is impossible to design bosses when the player has unlimited mobility and unlimited ability to design their own arenas.

Terraria should have stuck to one or the other.

>playing terraria with mods first time
Don't bother, enough content.