Will the Open-World fad ever die?

Will the Open-World fad ever die?

yes because it is increasing development costs by a lot to create an engine that can handle the level streaming and also creating the assets and world map

and then some other fad will replace it

>He wants to go back to a system of completely segregated levels and worlds

Sorry buddy, but that was nothing more than a symptom of hardware limitations.

Open world games are here to stay, forever.

>and then some other fad will replace it
What'll that be?

What do you think the next fad is going to be?
i think it will be class based shooters

never because normalfags and casuals eat that shit up
just drop them into a big open world with fetch quests and filler and it'll keep them entertained for hours on end like hamsters on fucking wheels

I'm hoping that the popularity of early access survival titles leads to the revitalization of player driven MMOs.

>a symptom of hardware limitations.

Levels that were designed with actual thought put into them were a symptom of hardware limitations?

Limitations force creativity.

>fad
considering open world games have existed for longer than you, no. GenZ should stop pretending everything that doesn't go their way is a fad. Your safe space bubble is really distorting your vision of the world, especially what is "normal" and "must be destroyed".

They are new MMOs already. Unless you mean, you want AAA to step in and provide expertise to increase amount of players in the same area.

>player driven mmo
>seriously thinking they will be fun to play with current web community

user web 1.0 long dead, they will be asshole simulators through and through

its already dead

I wonder whats the current fad and also given that the fad died so quickly the crash must be near

MMos and shotter memes lasted for years , open world didn't even last a single one

No, but eventually a better process will be made to have better quests and content on the maps and small details you would typically find in linear games.

Do you know why it exists? You might not know this but mobile gaming, F2P, and (sometimes) indie are seen as huge competitors to the AAA market. Sony loses sleep over those more than it does over Microsoft or Nintendo. The market changed. Why make an arcade style game when some fag can make a mechanically sound game on a shoe string budget and massively undercut you?

So you turn to things you can do. On paper, what can AAA provide that smaller, cheaper devs can't? Cinematic experiences and open world. This is exactly why both of these exist.

So the next big thing must be

>something that justifies having a huge team
>something that F2P.and phones can't imitate with ease

Those are some mighty projections coming from someone talking about distorted vision

I'm actually quite curious on what the new gaming fad will be when the rust shit early access clones finally fucking die off. Will we see nothing but indie pixelshit games now?

>Mmos a decade ago never had assholes and spergs on them.

When people realize open world becomes synonymous with recycled assets everywhere and busywork gameplay to make the world feel 'filled'.

I'd have figured the usual engines by now support it to some degree, or at least can bruteforce it with modern consoles given there's more RAM to play with compared to last gen.

>So you turn to things you can do. On paper, what can AAA provide that smaller, cheaper devs can't? Cinematic experiences and open world. This is exactly why both of these exist.
Lies a

The open world meme caught on cause Skyrim's popularity and died off because they learned the hard way bethesda games live exclusively on memes and their memes ended with FO4

The open world meme died cause no one actually made an open world game just regular games with huge maps filled with nothing or the same set of events repeating over and over

All of this is consequence of the industry emulating the movie industry focusing in franchises they can yearly regurgitate

I'd give it like 2 more years

By the nature of internet accessibility, they had less. Target audience right now doesn't want to build and chill, they want to rape and kill.

Does any of the following have a stable long standing settlement : Ark, Rust, Conan? How is Wyrm doing these days?

Not to the amount we have now.

It won't die. 5 of the 7 biggest games this year will be open world with the rest being first person shooter
>Horizon Zero Dawn
>Zelda BotW
>RDR2
>ME:A
>Asscreed 2017

>Battlefront 2
>Call of Duty 2017

>5 of the 7 biggest games this year will be open world with the rest being first person shooter

Jesus wept.

Most of those games were in the making from when open world was a thing and stuff like ass creed has always been the same.

the main problem with open world is that during the story its same old section to section garbage not using the function that its open world, and a another problem is you have a large map that is nothing but obligatory side shit and collectibles

too bad the only game that could be good in that list is RDR2

its singleplayer will probably be fun but i have no hope for the multiplayer

ad homs aren't arguments. throwing "fad" to describes what you hate, just factually prove you are opposing your life bubble with anything that shakes it, and because you are fanatic enough to believe your bubble is pure 100% good, you want everything you don't like to be fad, that dies while your way of life survive and dominate.
it's getting so bad with that fanatic point of view people are now questioning democracy as a "fad".

You're really just arguing with yourself, user

Dark souls and Devil May Cry clones that try to be MMOs.

Remember that one time Elder Scrolls tried to be an mmo?

My guess is asymmetric multiplayer titles. Evolve flopped, but Dead by Daylight has been good LP fodder and Friday the 13th is on the horizon.

It's still happening, they banking in on Morrowind right now. Why you think Todd said ES6 isn't being made.

Whoops, meant for

>arbitrary crafting system
>arbitrary leveling system
>arbitrary perks system
>microtransactions

I don't know if publishers are really worried about mobile gaming. At least, they shouldn't be. It's a huge market, sure, but I doubt there's as much overlap with casual mobile phone gamers and gamers that play on home consoles and such. And I doubt the players in that overlap are ever going to simply abandon the home gaming market simply for mobile games only.

And if AAA developers and publishers wanted to do something that mobile developers don't, they should move to creating complete titles and expansions, moving away from the current model that's overly focused on milking profits. No loot boxes, no DLC, just complete games and expansions. Because that's where the home console market got a lot of these money grabbing tactics from.

>Dark souls clones
that already happened and didn't take off

I'm playing the hd remaster of FFX right now. Not my fav FF by a long shot, but it's really making me miss when games were just fun, told a story, and had a set path for you to play.

Every game now is so fucking serious and complicated and all about exploration or competition. and expect you to put time and effort into developing actual skills at their fucking video game.

Like seriously fuck off. I just want something fun to play.

man this is a really underrated statement.