Riven: The Sequel to Myst

Just installed this. I only have faint memories of it, what am I in for? Anything I need to know besides what happened in Myst?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/7cULHgP8tmo
youtube.com/watch?v=lOOVWFXjGQY
gog.com/forum/myst_series/gog_riven_on_windows_10_x64
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Riven is fantastic but you're wasting your time trying to talk about it here. Your average Sup Forums poster has probably never even heard of Myst, let alone Riven. I'm sure most of the kiddos would call these games walking simulators now and pretend they aren't even games.

this

Well, here I go anyway. Wish me luck, I'm doing this without a guide. See you in a few months I guess.

It was too buggy for me to play back in the day

The Myst games get brought up every now and then. I'm sure most anons have at least heard of Myst since it's been ported to every platform ever.

Best of luck, user. One of my favourite games growing up, and my grandparents refused to buy Exile until I beat it. Fuck one of the last puzzles in the game, which I won't spoil. I hope you have a great time with it

Good luck. I could never make it through these games without a guide.

>I could never make it through these games without a guide.

I kind of have my own guide now, I still have all the bits of paper with notes I took whilst playing the games in the box along with the disks.

this game was so eerie. i remember on one screen i could see someone very far away waving to me. used to creep me out as a kid. i don't think you could ever communicate with them. also that it came on a fuckload of cds.

if you like myst and riven, check out journeyman project 3.

>you will never solve the moiety cave for the first time ever again
>you will never play a game that shipped with a notebook and fill it full of sketches and notes

Have an hour long postmortem of Myst by Robyn Miller, the audio sucks but it's still a great watch.

youtu.be/7cULHgP8tmo

Expect a very difficult puzzle game

Get a notepad and write everything of interest down

I remember Riven being way better than Myst and also way harder.

On a semi related note, I played and beat Return to Zork today after like 20 years and boy that game sucks, scared the shit out of me as a kid though.

Be prepared to write everything down in a notebook.

DON'T USE A GUIDE. let yourself be immersed in it and scribble down anything you think might be a clue. riven has 10/10 atmopshere and ambience. i would actually legit throw a dumptruck of money at a kikestarter for the miller bros. to remake this game (staying in 2d) with just higher res renders and remastered sound but apparently they lost all the assets or some shit, fucking tragedy.

>tfw riven masterpiece edition fucking never
>tfw starry expanse is vaporware bullshit

Opinions on Zork Nemesis?

What's the best version of Myst?

>making it through these games

nice try user. ur not fooling me

myst masterpiece on gog, already patched for modern os

Or the original Journeyman Project. Never played the sequels but the first game was...pretty good. Not great. Sorta like sci-fi Myst with time travel and you can die in it. Storyline is actually kind of interesting on a conceptual level although you hardly notice it in the game itself.

I remember this came on a separate disk. Really cool "making of".

youtube.com/watch?v=lOOVWFXjGQY

Me, my brother, and stepdad all played it independently, and we all couldnt get very far (this was before guides, though). Its cryptic as fuck, and considerably more difficult than any of the myst games. Puzzles seem to focus on astronomy, especially in regards to things like planetary alignment and stuff. Graphics also havent aged as well as Mysts, probably because its setting is sort of like the renaissance instead of...whatever you call Mysts.

Im not a fan in case you cant tell.

Get an A4 and a pencil. Also there are a few crucial paths that are very easy to miss

By far the most difficult Myst game. Really well structured though.

>too hard for me 4/10

this

Is there any way to prevent the crashing? I've tried Windows XP compatibility mode and one CPU affinity in Task Manager, but it still seems to crash maybe every half-hour. I'm on Windows 10 by the way.

I'm having great fun aside from that issue.

Anything in particular seem like it's causing it to crash? or does it happen at random?

Last time I played it I was running windows 7 and it ran flawlessly.

An animation finishing or turning around seems to be the main cause of crashes.

I don't know if there's any link, but I had to install an ancient version of QuickTime and enable "Safe Mode (GDI Only)" just for the animations (turning a crank, pushing a button) to show up correctly.

Be warned you're most likely going to finish exploring the islands and not even have a clue the puzzle you were supposed to be trying to solve unless you read every page of in-game text. Everywhere you go has crucial info for the final puzzles (which are pretty much the only puzzles in the game) and you're liable to get fucking owned by the big bad UNLESS you paid attention and made the necessary preparations.

looks like there's a thread up on GOG with people suggesting a couple of fixes.

gog.com/forum/myst_series/gog_riven_on_windows_10_x64

>tfw you own the kickass disk set

Still bumping around somewhere

>The Art only links to existing worlds
>Even though that doesn't make sense and contradicts tons of shit in the first game
>And is way less interesting.

That's awesome, I've got the collection box set.

I wish this would get a remaster.

They explained that in the first 5 seconds. Old man whatever his name was has to devote his constant attention to keeping Riven from collapsing on itself and taking everything with it. The guy isn't writing new worlds because the crisis requires his full attention.

Damn dude, fumbling around with this back in the day was such fun. I'll never forget the look of disappointment my father shot me when he saw me looking up some random forums in 2001 or so for hints on the marble puzzle. I'm still ashamed.

After picking this up again, I got up to the marble puzzle.
>mfw I had a detailed notebook for Riven 15+ years ago and then lost it

Shit man, this game was my fucking childhood, next to the Journeyman Project series.

Write EVERYTHING down, and read all the journals you come across, as it's the key to figuring out certain puzzles here and there. Also, turn off the lights, close the shades, and wear a good pair of headphones, because the ambience and music in this game is phenomenal. I still remember that one bit where the whark attempted to smash the glass. Shit scared the hell out of me as a kid.

I KNOW I still have this lying somewhere around my room. I'd love to be able to reboot the game using these discs, but I'm pretty sure it's outdated. I'd prefer downloading the game in general and playing it all conveniently off one execution instead anyway.

ScummVM seems to work very well, thanks. Too bad I can't use my save file from the normal executable. Oh well, it's only 2 hours of progress.

When I was a kid my uncle lend me the game and his notes to it.
I really felt like an adventurer on an alien planet.

I gave them back obviously never finishing the game because it was way to hard for a dumb kid like me but I remember progressing further than I ever did when I was older without any guides.

>Activision told us to stick to children's games.
FUCK ACTIVISION
Killing vidya since 1990.

Me too, my dad lent me this game and some of his notes back when I was a child.
Watching the mine cart ride on a big old CRT screen while sitting in a dark room was absolutely mindblowing. So was learning the Rivenese number system by playing with that cruel wooden toy in the classroom.
One day when my autism peaks, I'll grab my own notebook and go on another journey to Riven.

>John Walker

He will never not be salty about people liking Myst.

>1990 Activision told us to stick to children's games.
>1991 Sunsoft of Japan: please make a game for an older audience
Japan saving video games since forever.

He will never not be salty in general

have you played sir you are being hunted?

O..................................................
.......................O..................................
................................................O..............

>Japan: But please design this for consoles!

>Gamers love puzzles
>But we weren't creating Myst for gamers.

>$265,000 budget