Why does it seem like AMD is the only company trying to revolutionize gaming hardware?

Why does it seem like AMD is the only company trying to revolutionize gaming hardware?

Keep in mind, Ryzen offers the performance of a Core i7-6950X ($1,723) for just $399.

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113430
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Because they need to do something to make a name for themselves again. Intel and Nvidia are safe just staying the course. It's kinda like how Nintendo keeps trying to reinvent themselves with each console these days.

Wrong, it offers the performance of the i7-6900K which has same number of threads and costs around $1000. 6950X has 20 threads and costs around $1700

>Keep in mind, Ryzen offers the performance of a Core i7-6950X ($1,723) for just $399.
But a Core i7-6950X works with Windows 7, while Ryzen doesn't.
You get what you pay for.

>revolutionize gaming hardware
since when?

They're not, they're just trying to keep up with Intel and Nvidia.

It doesn't have active support for Windows 7, it's not that it doesn't work with windows 7.

Also
>Windows 7
for what pvrpose

Since 2013.

>It doesn't have active support for Windows 7, it's not that it doesn't work with windows 7.
Not instant crash on boot doesn't mean "work". Windows 95 "works" on Kaby Lake too.

>revolutionize
sure did

>Windows 7
>for what pvrpose
For properly running video games released before 2007?

Should I buy AMD stock? Not much, maybe gamble about 1000€.

Can't wait to make full use of those 16 threads while I play Overwatch, I'll be able to stream it to all my friends too!

> 5 gazillion threads
So it's just AMD, being AMD? Not like many games will be able to properly use it.

>innovated HBM/2 VRAM (much superior to GDDR5X and upcoming GDDR56)
>First to make 2/3gb graphics cards
>First to make dualcore cpus
>First to make quadcore cpus

And a bunch of other stuff I'm forgetting, one involving cpu clock speeds. They've been a huge force in innovation

But why would want to play all those old games. Buy the new ones for $60 each instead.

I heard someone mention this only works with DDR4 RAM? Is that true? Because I've got 24GB DDR5, and no reason to replace my whole motherboard for this if I have to replace my RAM too.

It's AMD appealing to content producers because those are the ones with actual income instead of manbabies who buy hats in minecraft with their limited neetbux

never take investment advice from Sup Forums

Intel has had a strangle hold on the CPU market for ages. It's a two part thing from them: why release something revolutionary when you can very slowly release upgrades over time, and try not to release anything too amazing because if your competition dies, you literally have to become your own competition or risk being a monopoly. Nvidia has been forced to take the second approach a bit, but they're no where near as bad at releasing slight upgrades over the years as Intel. Look at the 780Ti vs the 980 and the 980Ti vs the 1080, then compare the 4790k and the 7700k. The 4790k is actually stronger than the 7700k in clock for clock tests. Only reason Skylake and Kaby Lake bench better in real world tests is because of DDR4's much faster bandwidth

>ddr5
user you have misunderstood something somewhere, ddr5 is used in Graphics Cards, not your general ram sticks that you stick in your motherboard.

True, it does seem a good choice for production, but as just a guy who plays games, I'm no seeing much reason to switch to this over my i5, especially since I do a lot of ps2 and GC emulation. Which is a shame, since I generally like AMD, they've just been lagging in results lately.

Because intel is in a comfortable spot where they have virtually no competition. They can make minor improvements while keeping their prices high while amd has dropped the ball so hard they're desperate to be competitive again
>one involving clockspeeds
They made the first 1ghz cpu if I recall

Oh fuck, I feel dumb. I read that late at night, and must have gotten shit mixed up in my head. But in that case my 1070 is ddr5, will it not work with that?

If you were upgrading from some really old shit CPU then RYZEN might be worth considering but if you just play games then there is no reason to upgrade from a decent i5/i7 right now.

You mean GDDR5

You will be fine user all modern GPU use DDR5

>what is compatibility mode
of course the win7fag had to be a tech illiterate

>AMD designs the cpu/gpu that the ps4 and xbone use
>this forces developers to make use of all of the cores
>in turn this means that with Ryzen, AMD will start to gain a really good advantage in console ports
smart

>compatibility mode

You shouldn't sperg about the HBM memmories, their cost completely tanked the Fury profits and it was a huge mistake to spend so much in such a bad sport for AMD. Nvidia went with GDDR5X, spent close to nothing and made gigantic profit.

>garbage theoretical scenario
console ports will always be shit just buy a ps4 pro already pcuck

Maybe so but now we are left with HBM2, nvidia's volta will probably even end up using it

>compatibility mode
I dont think you know how it works.

They invented GDDR5 hue

It's moreso that Intel don't give a fuck about the consumer market. Their interest is in big data because that's where the money is. Why waste research money on a market that's been plateauing for the past 10 years?

Will this shit work with my FM2+ socket? If not, I see no reason to spend $400 on this, plus $100 for a new motherboard and a total of $500. Since I'm already buying a new Motherboard, they're no competing against $100 for a new motherboard Plus a quadcore I7 for another $300, a total of $400. And while the I7 might not offer as much RAW performance as the Ryzen, I'd be willing to bet money it will get much better actual performance when it comes to actually playing games, since most of them aren't set up to use more than 1 or 2 cores.

>Will this shit work with my FM2+ socket?
No.

Then what's the damn point? I see no reason to get this over a quadcore i7, since I have to buy a new motherboard anyway.

So I've never built a PC so gimme the quick rundown. Can I know make a high end PC for under 700 bucks?

Who gives a fuck about CPUs anymore? They are rarely an issue these days. Spend all your Jew bucks on a good GPU. Something like an i7 2600k is going to last you years. There's no reason to spend $400+ on anything else.

Too late bro, you had to buy it BEFORE the reveal. This is already old news in the market so the stock price has already adjusted to expectations and optimism like yours. If you buy it now you are pretty much betting and not investing.

CPU has never been the bottleneck to a high end build. Like mentioned you can get an i7, which will probably have better practical performance than the Ryzen, for less. And even then i7 is considered overkill unless you're doing VR.

High end? No. Upper mid, sure. But when people discuss building a PC they rarely mean from scratch. Do you own a keyboard, mouse, headphones/speakers, monitor, PC tower?

Nope, not going to make it. You're better off buying all the consoles instead.

You know the 4 core 8 thread i7 killers are $175/$200 right

No, 32 GiB of fast RAM cost $300 alone already.

i bought an I-7700k. What does that mean for me?

32gb of ram is still way overkill for gaming. 16gb is the new 8gb now

>visit /biz/ randomly one day in Jan 2016
>read about this thing called ETH
>"ETH will be BTC 2.0!"
>recall how BTC shot up in value and decide to gamble with ETH doing the same
>3 months later I'm $20000 richer

>never take investment advice from Sup Forums

False. Never take advice from Sup Forums posters.

Not gonna lie guys, those 8 cores and 16 threads speaks to my muli monitor setup
>W10
>Only OC'able with AMD brands
Why do they alwasy have to fuck it up somehow
fucking why

No amount of consoles will ever let me play Civilization or Total Warhammer.

But thanks guys, maybe later. Not that I don't have the money I just can't justify it. Not for a handful of strategy games which is for what I want a PC.

A 4C/8T Ryzen processor is literally $150 less than the 7700k.

>New processor is better and cheaper
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE.

That's because Bitcoin is prone to manipulation unlike stocks. When the internet says a cryptocurrency is going up is because a pump is going on. If you don't pay close attention, you'll be wiped as soon as the dump begins.

The same thing can't be said about stocks which are way harder to manipulate.

Very true, I was just pointing out that one should never say "never." :D

at worst you wasted a few bucks not waiting for ryzen to come out to knock $10-20 off the 7700k. you're also stuck with a 4c/8t cpu for the next few years, we'll see later this year if 6 and 8 core cpus becoming mainstream has an effect on gaming.

>368262403
R5 1600X ~ $260
RX 470 ~ $180
AM4 B350 mobo ~ $100
8 gigs DDR4 ~ $70
ok psu ~ $50
ok air cooler ~ $40
ok case w/ cheap fans ~ $40
1 TB hard drive ~ $50

total ~ $790

Not exactly highend, but better than enough for the vast majority of shit. If you already have a computer, you could reuse the gpu, psu, case, fans, and drives and put the money towards a better cpu/gpu. Most people who are upgrading with Ryzen, are probably only buying a new cpu, mobo, and ram and reusing most of the stuff in their current build.

>10-20
Try $100

People expected it to be cheaper, people didn't expect AMD to undercut Intel by up to 50%. AMD's pricing is so aggressive it's going to force Intel to react (they've already made hyperthreaded Pentiums to try and keep the low end market) which is good for consumers.

Does compatibility mode not work for certain games on Windows 10? Or is the joke that there's no compatibility mode for processors?

Ok thanks, I recently built/bought a new computer to replace my 8 year old computer, I am not a major computer guy. But i needed more power to handle 3D animation , rendering and video editing.

They're retarded, I have Windows 10 and I really haven't had any trouble running older Windows games. Windows 10 can usually run anything Windows 7 can. XP/Vista compatibility mode has fixed any issues I've had.

>tfw going from an 8750 to a 1075T to a 1600X
Three to six to twelve threads, just fuck my shit up senpai

Yeah, I figured. 7 and 10 seem to be roughly the same OS minus UI changes and muh spyware. I think people just like to meme about it being terrible without having actually used it.

I used it on my laptop for around a year with no issues and on my desktop for a few months before I swapped them both to Linux.

>what is compatibility mode
Compatibility mode can't fix stuff which got completely removed like DirectDraw or DirectSound3D support for example.

part of me wants build a brand new PC just because I got the money to throw away. The other part knows that I don't need a new PC yet...

Dammit AMD.... That's a really good processor especially for the price.

>Yeah, I figured. 7 and 10 seem to be roughly the same OS
WinX doesn't even support GDI display drivers, while Win7 does.

come on dude, you have to wait until the actual product is out. jesus fuck no one remembers the 7xxx series of GPUs rofl or the promises of Bulldozer

It's time to finally upgrade from my phenom 955

The difference was that the early leaked benchmarks showed Bulldozer was shit. The benchmarks for Ryzen looks pretty good.

oh, did AMD finally get their fucking shit together?
I'd been using AMD CPU's for years, and frankly they never seemed to live up to the specs

>it has 6 cores now!
>but can it run games better than a quad core i7?
>no

I used to buy AMD GPU's when I was younger too (starting with the ATI rage 128), but gradually I phased out of that for nvidia after overheating problems bricked GPU's on an annual basis for me around 2007 (portal was what I was playing when it died the last time)

AMD would have to do something spectacular to win back my trust after seeing how much better perfomance I'm getting with intel and nvidia

>Windows 10 shill
>Also shilling for AMD

Like clockwork

Do these Ryzen CPUs come with stock coolers or will I need to get an aftermarket one? I'm using a FX-6300 with a stock cooler and want to upgrade to Ryzen, will I need to buy an aftermarket cooler along with a new AM4 socket mobo, DDR4 RAM and the actual CPU?

pic related, look at the indicated OS on cinebench
not being fully supported doesn't mean much.

>>Only OC'able with AMD brands
What do you mean?

>I'm using a FX-6300 with a stock cooler
For what purpose? You know FX processors are most useful if you overclock them?

Ram doesn't come in DDRX.

>Do these Ryzen CPUs come with stock coolers
If it has XFR it doesn't have cooler
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113430
You can see right here on the 1800x newegg page that it does specify without fan and cooler

>DDR4 RAM & new AM4 mobo
Yep, you'll need that.

My reasoning is more that they'll return to profitability and increase market share.
So the stock prices should keep going up, no? I don't expect it to double again, but they just went from having no product to having a pretty good one.

Because they are the only ones with shit to lose.
AMD is behind in just about every way when compared to its competitors, the only thing it has advantages in are mobile computing technologies that are slowly losing ground to Nvidia.

If this set is at least comparable to the current intel stuff, I'll be pleasantly surprised.
Their CPU market has been slacking badly outside of the budget market, allowing prices to climb pretty high.

Yes, but it's not gonna perform like a 7700k.
Ryzen is still slower than Broadwell and especially Skylake/KabyLake, it's about Haswell level in IPC.
Obviously they are pushing more cores at comparable pricepoints, but if you take a 4/8 part to 4/8 part Intel will win hands down.

What if you already have DDR5 RAM? Will I have to downgrade?

Am I the only one here worried this will spark performance wars like in the 00's?
I don't want to dump 400€ into CPU upgrades every year and a half.

You should've bought in february last year.

You'd be rich by 2019

>Ryzen offers the performance of a Core i7-6950X ($1,723) for just $399.
Nice source you have there
I'll believe this when actual video game benchmarks come out

Yeah, but back then it looked way too risky.

Any non-synthetic benchmarks yet?

You forgot Mantle=Vulkan/Directx12

That's the wrong kind of RAM. That's the RAM for your GPU.

It won't. Ryzen is AMD catching up to Intel. Intel has been massively overcharging for their CPU's, but CPU progress has slowed to a crawl. Intel spends more on R&D than AMD and Nvidia combined and can't achieve more more than 10% IPC improvements. 7nm may be the last major improvement in CPU's for some time and that won't be ready until 2019 or so.

You're confusing DDR3/4 with GDDR5. GDDR5 is your graphics RAM, or VRAM.

It's not as if console performance is comparable, this will just make pc gaming cheaper

not him but WILL you need an AM4 board and DDR4 for this?

You have a point, Ryzen is certainly competitive, but actual performance per core per clock seems to be a couple percent below Broadwell (we'll see with actual benchmarks).
So unless there's a massive explosion in core utilization in games I don't see my 6700k becoming obsolete all that fast.
Original plan was to hold onto it till 2019.

Okay, maybe I'm crazy, and I'm not at my home PC, so I don't have Speccy, but I'd have SWORN when I bought my RAM, I splurged on DDR5. Maybe I'm just misremembering, and thinking of my old video card though.

DDR5 doesn't exist. You must probably be talking about GDDR5 which is exclusive to GPU

If you want to get a Ryzen CPU, you will have to also get an AM4 CPU and at least 1 DDR4 RAM stick. Just search DDR4 on any website that sells PC part, and AM4, and you'll find both very easily.

For what? Ryzen? Sure.

Nice going shills. Except you get worse performance on windows 10 if you play any non DirectX12 game. This has been proven, and I have literally better performance than my friends on some games with the same settings even though my hardware is worse.

You can shill windows 10 and all you want but anybody who has ACTUALLY COMPARED them knows windows 10 is shit.
THE only people who would want to use windows 10 over 7 are the fanatics that want those directx12 games like froza(which was heavily shilled by microsoft as well to get more people on the win 10 train)
Honesltly how long will you keep pushing this shitty fucking OS.
You forced the update on some people, made it free and shilled it day and night. GIVE IT A REST.

>ln2

It's not, you definitely have DDR3. I don't think FX is compatible with DDR4.