Weapon durability in BotW is a good mechanic and is absolutely necessary to the game's design

Weapon durability in BotW is a good mechanic and is absolutely necessary to the game's design.

>Every enemy in the game drops its weapon as a usable item when disarmed or defeated, meaning that weapons are abundant and easy to acquire. Degradation prevents your inventory from filling up and encourages the player to use the throw attack with damaged weapons
>It encourages variety in your playstyle by forcing you to acquire new and different weapons that have different movesets
>It prevents linear character progression. If a player lucks his way into getting an endgame weapon off some enemy, it will only allow him to ez-mode though several encounters, instead of ez-moding the entire rest of the game

Prove me wrong. You can't.

>a player lucks his way into getting an endgame weapon off some enemy

That makes no sense. Why would bokoblin drop the master sword.

Do you understand how game design works on any level.

>Go into area gated by powerful enemies
>Disarm one, grab the weapon and run
>It never breaks, so the player uses it exclusively for all the areas he should have visited first
I wasn't talking about bokoblins. Do you understand how game design works?

But does the master's sword break?

You probably will have to repair it before use, considering it's rusted in the title screen and in the images we've seen so far. Prepare yourself for a huge ass quest to do so.

no obviously not. they're only teasing it because people like a mystery. like how when they showed the first trailer that hinted that link may not be link and then later that he may not be a boy.

they just want people to talk about stupid shit that we already know the answer to because it side tracks people from asking the real questions like why there's so many retarded people who think this is the WW timeline

Agreed OP. In also baffled how some people are like

>lmao my sword will break in 3 hits

Maybe shitty, early game weapons like tree branches do but there are weapons that are made to last longer. Also if you use a sword for cutting down a tree, obviously it'll break.

I never understood people bitching about weapon/item durability. Maybe that's because am a huge realistic autostic faggot, but to me it's ridiculous when weapons, used in harsh conditions and by their very design relying on processes or mechanisms that may cause damage to them over a period of time or just not be 100% reliable, are indestructible in video games. It doesn't matter in games where your whole journey takes a few days, weeks tops, in in-game time, but in Skyrim, where you watch hundreds of sunsets and walk through different types of areas with different environmental conditions, weapon durability should be there. Why don't devs add this shit and just make it optional, instead of just showing a middle finger to the more hardcore parts of their audiences?

Well that's just an argument for realism. I was thinking about how it works as a game mechanic.

>All weapons break during boss fight
>lel now wut?

>great weapons are random drops and not dungeon chest items

this is a fucking awful idea

>random drops
There are no random drops in this game. Enemy spawns are not random, and they drop only what they are carrying.
>and not dungeon chest items
You can get weapons from chests too.

Nigga you serious. The big goron sword was better in OoT than the master sword. There are more and probably better end game weapons than the master sword. The master sword probably only rust though instead of breaking.

If you're that shit at the game, the boss will kill you before you burn through 20 weapons

Maybe you should have given some forethought to the boss battle? This is Nintendo and they're known for babying their audience but Jesus Chris user

it's still retarded

why turn zelda into diablo

>oh hey, you got epic sword of the awesome +10!

>Bad game mechanics are now the player's fault
Yeah k.

You're right though, this is Nintendo. The boss fights will be casual as fuck and will probably have QTEs to avoid the weapon issue.

>Don't bring enough supplies with you to tackle a dungeon
>Surprised when you run out
It is the player's fault. This is like complaining that you can't beat a boss because you didn't bring any fairies, then calling bottles a bad mechanic.

weapon durability is a shit mechanic

instead of playing the game you have to farm repair items or spare weapons

so fun

Durability is always retarded in every game it is in.

If you removed the mechanic of having every enemy drop weapon when disarmed or defeated you wouldn't have to cycle your inventory.

You can find weapons you like without having to repair them all the time or disarm and kill the enemy carrying it for the 100th time.

You can force the player to use different weapons by having enemies that require them to do so.

You can prevent people getting ez mode weapons by having them acquired at specifically designed points.

Durability is always antifun shit.

But what if I don't want to use them? Why doesn't the game cater to my playstyle?

Where are my handicap settings?

They throw in a random armed enemy from the dungeon into the arena.
And if you run out of arrows they'll throw in destructible shit that conveniently drops arrows.

>You can force the player to use different weapons by having enemies that require them to do so.
I was with you until here. This is the worst game mechanic possible for an action game and you should feel bad for suggesting it.

You sound like a retarded AAA dev making a linear piece of shit game.
Please kill yourself immediately.

By having certain enemies require certain kinds of attacks/weapons? Nigga have you ever played a Zelda

Every game I've seen it in it's just a needless way of superfluously limiting the player with a mechanic that doesn't help at all with making people "think" about how they're playing or even encourage trying new things. It's just an annoyance that you have to constantly deal with when you'd rather be doing something else. If you want to make it more challenging, then do so in a way that rewards players for being prepared. Durability only hinders, it does not give the player any kind of reward.

>You can prevent people getting ez mode weapons by having them acquired at specifically designed points.
To do this, the game must follow a linear path. Otherwise the issue remains, you can go ahead to some tough area, get a weapon from a chest, then come back to the easy areas.

I don't think the game you're describing could ever be BotW.

OK well require was probably too strong of a word. Enemies that encourage weapon variety. You can mash square with a sword if you want but there's easier ways of taking them down.

or you steal weapons while enemies sleep

Metroid manages to keep the big guns locked until they're required. Or is the argument going to be that Metroid is a linear game?

I am AAA but I'm not working on a linear game. Not sure if you've noticed but most of them are all working on open world meme games. Please kill yourself for buying them.

Yeah, Metroid is linear. You're given a large area to explore from the start, but the rest of the world is gated behind character upgrades. The big guns are locked away because you have to get the smaller guns first to access the area where the big guns are. I'm sure Nintendo could make a metroidvania-style Zelda, but they haven't.

I think maybe it will be able to "break" but can always be repaired, and that it can't be dropped either.

>people actually defending weapon durability

I you idiots enjoy limited inventory space and weight limits as well.

Weight limits are annoying, but limited inventory space can often be essential to facilitate resource management.

>Yeah, Metroid is linear.
Stopped reading there.

Clearly.

This. Weight is bullshit, but cleverly done inventory space can work well.

Shit like inventory weight and durability have to be tied pretty closely into a game's core design. That appears to be the case here, so I don't have a problem with it. A large part of the game seems to be 'preparing for an area' by getting heat reducing.increasing foods, armors etc. Weapons seem to be a part of that too, if you don't have stuff on you to take down a big enemy don't engage it.

Inventory space in something like Resident Evil is fine, but in an RPG or adventure game it is shit.

KH 385/2 Days gets a lot of stick but it has such a great inventory system. Your level and stats are all part of the same system so you have to think hard if you'd rather bring a decent weapon into a mission or prioritise something like defence or magic.

It's okay when nintendo does it

But grid inventories are comfy.

>things take different spaces
Shit tier

Everything takes a single block, like Rust or other survival games.

>My "Huge As Fuck Battleaxe (TM)" takes as much space as my tiny ring

Weapon durability and weight limitations are the first things I mod out of Bethesda games. They are annoyances, not immersion.

It's all about execution. The weight limits in Skyrim, for instance, are very annoying, because everything is just assigned an arbitrary numerical value, and you have to painstakingly go through your items one by one trying to get them to the right number. And if you exceed the limit, they wreck your movement speed. The entire experience is frustrating.

But now, look at Deus Ex. This is exactly the same concept, executed more visually. And it works.

Video games m8, shit should be simple and fun. With grid based you hoard shit but also never really get to experiment because of ammo, weapons and healing requiring space. Deus Ex HR/MD really suffered from this.

At the same time, games become broken as fuck if you can carry 10 rocket launchers around with you with no penalties.

You're absolutely right user.

I don't understand why this is even an argument in the first place, in pretty much every game I've played that has it it's worked fairly well or was never an issue (Fire emblem, Far Cry 2)

I think it is a pretty integral part of the game, you save your best weapons and best upgrades to take on bosses or powerful enemies and you use your weak weapons in strong areas by throwing them into the enemy's head for a critical to disarm them and gain a more powerful weapon.

I think it does a very good job of keeping you on your toes and encouraging you to use your tools properly to be able to survive enemy encounters.

You're acting like the durability will drop rapidly on all weapons. You could likely stick with a good one for many hours.

The Master Sword starts off as a weak piece of shit due to all the rust but if you do a certain chain of quests you restore it to full power.

Use the infinite bombs you get, dummy.

Because usually it works in one of two ways.

Either it's so prevalent, like the Nioh alpha, that the game becomes about inventory management and you have to switch weapons every 5 minutes or it amounts to nothing, like DS, where I never had to use any repair powder.

Same thing for hunger and similar mechanics.

Besides metroid 1, super metroid, and zero mission, how is metroid not linear?

I think of it like Smash Bros. Makes it more fun.

that sounds really fun, getting into the area where an enemy has a powerful weapon while underpowered for the sole reason of stealing said weapon should be tremendously rewarded

But they've made it so that switching between weapons in your inventory is really easy and fast and also there's new weapons around practically every corner.

Have you seen some of the gameplay? They just leave them sitting everywhere, not to mention ALL ENEMIES no matter what they are drop their weapons if they're using one. It seems like this durability system isn't going to be a big issue.

You are rewarded well though, you get to use a powerful (and probably highly durable) weapon against the more powerful foes you run across. You can likely use this same weapon to get more of the same weapon or perhaps an even more powerful one. How is that not rewarding? Because you don't get to keep that same one weapon forever?

Classic rpg strategy. It's like grabbing the Dragon Tail Sword from DS and using it to speedrun toward Anor Londor.

Thats what I am thinking, and not even foreign territory to Zelda games as there was the sword forging in Majoras Mask, I think you had to reforge the Master Sword in Minish Cap too, the Biggoron Sword in OoT.

Grid inventories are fine as long as there's a storage system of some sort. Replaying RE4 has made me hate that I have to sell off weapons I invested in to the max simply because there's no storage.

Reforging the Master's Sword is a common theme in Zelda. You have to do it in ALttP and ALBW, not to mention Skyward Sword where the whole game is the process of forging the Master's Sword.

I knew I saw a "Durable" tag on a weapon in an E3 video.

Makes me wonder if there might be a smith who can attach tags like these to weapons, or repair existing ones to full strength. So if you find a nice claymore you can get the ores and rupees to have it be Durable and treat is a main weapon.

>so you have to think hard if you'd rather bring a decent weapon into a mission or prioritise something like defence or magic.
Except that's not true at all. Blizzard and Fire are the only magic you will ever use as everything else is terribly weak and the -ga versions of anything do about the same amount of damage and are garbage for how little casts and how enormous their tiles are on top of their gimmicks usually being worse than their base levels. You will never switch Keyblades for different missions outside of going to a newer one because the newer one will generally have more slots for you to deal more damage, and once you get Zero Gear you can just throw Critical onto all the slots and get a 100% crit chance making it completely pointless to use anything else.

Pretty sure they've said that there's no way to repair weapons. You just use them until they break, then you throw them at an enemy.

Could see this:

>Big ass skeleton boss
>Small skeles randomly claw out of the ground
>Bombing these suckers and beating the boss to death with his minions own arms!

why the fuck would I risk it if the weapon will disappear after a while? weapon durability is a stupid mechanic

Durability is a meme from the old days of true artificial difficulty, brought back by shitter AAA devs

it's a shame BotW also fell for it

New to Sup Forums?

Nintendrones can defend literally anything from their games.

You can craft so I would assume you would be able to repair. Or maybe get it down to 1 hit left, craft it to Enhanced Weapon, and it refills the durability hits

b-b-but the game's designed around it

But you can use that weapon to get another one of the same weapon or one that's more powerful?

You seem to just want to call it a shitty mechanic just because you personally don't like it or that you're too stupid to realize that weapons are so plentiful that using one up isn't so bad because there's others nearby.

Trust me, user, if you got one or two super powerful weapons and just used your shitty weapons to take out the grunts while saving the good ones for the big boys (who will in turn give you a powerful weapon for disarming/killing them) you would see you have no reason to be reluctant to use them.

>newfag pretending to be old

>You can craft
Source? As far as I was aware, the crafting mechanic is cooking, and it only produces food.

Daily reminder horses can die.

Why would you have to farm them when you get them just by exploring or passively killing enemies? I fail to understand your logic.

Try telling that to FEfags.

Who are you quoting?

In Fe it's not implemented quite as well because weapons cost money and drops are rare/scripted (which makes no sense like nigga pick up the sword u just killed a guy) but BotW does not suffer from this issue as detailed in this post

Weapon durability offers nothing imo. When I'm playing I'll just keep a back-up of my preferred weapon and drop the one I'm using on the ground out of combat if it's low durability. Now if the durability chips away so fast that I'll have to swap weapons in the middle of combat then it's an intrusive mechanic and offers nothing other than "we put in this throw button so you HAVE to use it."

>he thinks greentext was made for quotes
you really are new

Who are you quoting?

It was though

>he really is new

>drop the one I'm using on the ground out of combat if it's low durability
Why would you do this when the optimal way to get rid of a weapon is to chuck it at an enemy
>I'll have to swap weapons in the middle of combat then it's an intrusive mechanic
Weapon switching is done in real time with the D-pad. Think of it like style switching in DMC.

Neo-Sup Forums

>samefagging this hard

Weapon durability is awful in every game it has ever existed in. It's literally busy work forced upon the player to do basic shit in the game, like when you must (not just to get health back) eat or something in a game that isn't entirely about survival.

>How is that not rewarding? Because you don't get to keep that same one weapon forever?
Because it means you never use the weapon at all and it becomes an Elixir problem that RPGs have where you never know when it's actually worth using and you end up beating the game without ever having touched the weapon due to the fear of losing it.

Why would I use it on normal mobs that are strong? Maybe there's a boss that it would be better off being used on? Can I obtain this item again? Can I repair it so I don't lose it?

Fallout 3 and New Vegas are the only games with decent durability systems because you can just use the same weapon to fix the weapon so there's no insane fear of what you have breaking down, having to swap weapons and pitch them over and over isn't fun, especially when you find one you like.

I really love how durability works in Zelda, its not perfect, but more developer shoulds take from it to make the mechanic seamless.

Just going from enemy weapon to enemy weapon with no menus as fluid as possible wopuld be GOAT for an action game like Nioh 2 or something.

WRONG.

Literally though, have you never even seen a
>be me
before?

Just ration out your uses then. You're the guy who ends the game with 99 of the best healing item because "what if I need them later?".

None of that shit matters because the game is still mash A to win.

calling out newfags isn't a neo-Sup Forums meme you fucking mongoloid.

Yup. Neo-Sup Forums.

Retard

reminder that shooters like Halo just use ammo as proxy weapon durability, and there is nothing wrong with how Halo forces you to manage your (much more limited) inventory

A is the action button.
>mash A to win.
HUP
HUP
HUP
HUP
HUP

thanks for outing yourself, once again