kickstarted
infinite content
like NMS but better
active devs and updates
reasonable price
good performance
What's the problem?

>infinite content

It's boring as shit. It's like Terraria's younger brother that tries his hardest to be a cool guy.

it does! well, close to infinite, anyways...

when was the last time you played? I thought that too until it was released last summer...

they set out to make terraria in space without having the faintest fucking idea what makes terraria good, and then went out of their way to remove any fun that accidentally made it into the game

the next big update's supposed to overhaul the space travel system, because overhauling major gameplay systems this far into development is exactly how competent game design works. i'm sure it'll be exactly as good as the half-dozen times they overhauled combat

It's just a downgraded Terraria.

Aw, come on! The point about the combat overhauls is warranted, but the space travel system NEEDS a fucking overhaul. it's boring as hell. After that, they oughta just keep adding content IMO. Everything else stays the same.

The performance is trash tho

they removed more content than they made

it's fucked up when your beta is better than the finished product

I guess that's reasonable. Still hoping for a Minecraft-styled version switcher at some point....just wish I had all my beta saves still (seriously, fuck them for wiping the saves when they said they wouldn't)

the story killed it for me. i also miss being able to kill npc's my floran can no longer hunt and kill the tasty fish people... good times.

it's one of the worst games i've ever played

story.

You reach a point, which really doesn't take long to get to, where there is no fucking point doing anything.

Downgraded terraria with worse soundtrack and artstyle

At least it's better than NMS, but that isn't saying much

I have to disagree with you on both of those points. Terraria's soundtrack is memorable to me, sure, and it's fun, but it isn't beautiful. Starbound's music is incredibly atmospheric and peaceful at times...i'd say both scores excel in different places.
With artstyle, I don't even know what you're talking about. Starbound's is superior in every way. Terraria has no style, it's just crude pixel art!

actually, you still can kill NPCs. In the NPC villages all you have to do is start breaking their shit (even if you just break enough pots) and the NPCs will begin to attack you. Then you can slaughter them all!

Not him but that's open to debate. Starbound's square pixel eyes look awful, and the enemies all look like pokemon reject designs. Terraria has a certain amount of cliche enemies like bats, skeletons and zombies, but overall they look better designed than trash like pic related.

So you're saying it has close to no content, well I agree.

All jokes and memes aside Starbound is doing pretty good desu

Obviously it never had a chance against Terraria, but 3000 players on any given weekday afternoon is pretty good for any indie release. And while Terraria is the better game by far, let's not kid ourselves about the numbers it pulls, either - autism and low requirements are a huge part of that. Everyone on Sup Forums loves the game, but normal people just play it when a patch comes out, not for hours every single day. Starbound's ridiculous system requirements mean only the richer autistic furries can play it constantly.

Goonbound more like.

It isn't though, Starbound has far more broken promises than NMS.

>active devs and updates
Dev blog update once in a month at best. Game updates are SOON(tm).
>good performance
No.

But yeah, it's like NMS but its "infinite content" is much more compressed and locked behind fewer "gates".

>floran scum
I'm gonna go full vegan on your green ass.
That said, shame they removed racial backstories in favor of galactic hug-box. Also miss banana bread.

Maybe it's just a matter of personal preference. I like the character design in Starbound, it's possibly my favorite part. Terraria always seemed like they couldn't put in any effort so they just made everything as small as possible so people wouldn't notice (pic related). I will give you the monster argument, though it could possibly be excuseable b/c of Starbound's being procedurally generated. The unique monsters look dope as fuck, though (my favorites are the Poptop and Erichus Ghost).

The next update actually looks kind of neat, exploring derelict ships and space stations might be kind of fun

Everything in that model has more detail than anything in starbound, what the fuck are you talking about?

I realise it's exaggeration, but "once a month" is way too far. March 14th, Feb. 23rd, Feb. 10th, Feb. 3rd, Jan. 23rd,, Jan 18th had a big update, etc etc.
Plus the Nightly build updates....daily.

Starbound has issues in that there's nothing to find, the UI is garbage and inventory management is atrocious.

How does exploring space stations fix any of that?

the game is garbage and nothing what tyi has promised me, and i got tricked by buying a 4 pack for me and my friends

fuck this game

Regardless of broken promises it's still a playable and finished product which offers quite a lot of content, albeit unbalanced, and a lot of features, albeit meaningless. But there's much, much more content that is worth it than in NMS. Exploration alone can get you interested for longer than typical NMS planet.

It has been a while since I have played it, so this may not still apply, but one thing that Terraria did that Starbound didn't was vary on how you progress in the game. To get higher tier items, a lot of the time you had to mine for them, but sometimes you had to find and kill a boss for a drop or some shit. In Starbound, it was: mine shit, kill a boss to get access to another planet that has higher tier ore, then repeat.

Unlike Terraria, it's boring as shit and doesn't have any replayability.

Also
>infinite content

Yeah, okay. Keep telling yourself that.

>Terraria adds fishing
>It gives rewards and boosts that can speed up your travel to lategame
>Starbound adds fishing
>Look! Pretty fish!

Starbound's fishing is more active, but it's less rewarding by a mile. At least I can put the fish in an aquarium, even if the fish look dumb as hell.

Are you fucking kidding me? Starbound is doing phenomenally well after NMS. NMS literally jumpstarted Starbound by making people look back in the genre and stumbling upon Starbound. It's also the same time when they finished their game.

Just look at the reviews on both Steam and GoG, it's a plethora of people with "NUMALE SKY BUT BETTER!" "IF NUMALE SKY WAS GOOD!" reviews.

If I was Chucklefuck, I would be sending them a cornucopia gift basket or a bouquet of flowers.

It's different now. A lot is still the same, but the overhauls in terms of bosses and progression are pretty different. Now it's more like
Mine --> Materials --> Armor (which you need to survive on that tier's planets anyways. Not a necessity but still) --> Quests --> Boss --> Upgrade crafting stations --> Upgrade "enviromental protection pack" --> next tier planets --> repeat

The procedurally generated enemies isn't a good excuse, because you end up with countless enemies that look like shit, and have very few AI behaviors, so you get tons of shitty reskins instead of good designs.

That was pretty funny, and accurate. You're right about the reviews BTW.
Luckily NMS was shit, I was a little worried that SB would be overshadowed.

I normally hate to use this as an excuse, but...mods fix all of this. Yes, I know, Terraria doesn't need mods, but since Starbound is so openly inviting and accessible to modders and mod-users I figured it's not too bad to use as an argument...

Starbound has 100% top quality monster designs.

it's fine, but it's not terraria levels of fine.
only enjoyment you'll get out of it after you've beaten everything is from mods, unless you're one of those hyperautists who spends years building a story out of 40 different player-created characters on a planet-sized city by themselves.

>starbound drones need to compare their game to No Man's Sky to get a positive angle on it
that's pretty sad, I hope you realize you're flaunting and commemorating the fact you can crawl better than a tetraplegic

No terramorphing. Fucking ree. I can't be arsed to search through bazillion planets to find the one i like (still haven't found the perfect planet btw), instead of just terramorphing a barren one.
Restoring abandonded jap castle and filling it woth fish people was fun though

There's a mod that adds it.

Aw, come on. It's cute!
And the unique monsters are dope as hell (as I already said).
The shit generation is part of the charm. I legitimately found what looked like a Pikachu ripoff on a planet one time. Wish I still had the screenshots...

There is terraforming. You just need to play that fucking stupid "endgame" vault maze shit and get enough essence while bringing enough random-ass materials to the device at the end. The planet shows up as heavily terraformed on the ship, and the planet's default biome is forcibly changed to whatever you used.

Is it on steam workshop? Because fuck steam. I only use gog.

Actually, terramorphing is in the game now. It's part of the endgame content - get Vault Keys, open Vaults, get "Essence", fight "Vault Guardians", you can upgrade weapons and create planet terraformers and microformers. It's pretty dope.

The controls were clunky as fuck and made me want to kill myself after a while, there's no purpose to exploring the world, building is a nightmare and Terraria is better in every way imaginable.

When was it added? Because i'm sure it wasn't there on release

Because Chucklefucks can't be trusted to make a good game anymore, just look back at how they handled it.

I'm still waiting for that writefag's Molly x Dog story, damn it.

Hey, I'm just looking at the future here. Thanks to NMS, the exposure, and the new people jumping on the wagon, Chucklefuck has enough resources to make that ideal game that most of the people were expecting/looking for. The fact that they are continuously updating the game and not leaving it dead is a good thing.

NMS's death was a necessary and funny unexpected evil.

What exactly is it that makes Terraria fun and not just another boring as shit sandbox "game" for autists?

>infinite content

I'll admit, that actually looks pretty bad ass.

Kinda fun with a group but the combat is pretty bad and there's too much static progression instead of open exploration. I'd also like more randomized world events, like encountering other explorers like you, and maybe the chance to add bios and unique behaviors to crew members you recruit.

I'm with you on that one, man.
It's not about comparing to No Man's Sky, it's about being grateful for what we have instead haha

I just remembered three of my biggest gripes.

>Fatal Circuit replaced by the gay penguin robot
I'm still mad
>Moontants and Mutant Apex can't be captured in Capture Pods anymore
Literally no reason why they removed this feature
>Agaran aren't parasitic invaders anymore
What is the point anymore?

Their first big patch had it.

Real talk, gutting the lore, shitty story mode, cobat overhaul the same fucking "unique" enemies in every single fucking biome in every single fucking planet, the garbage lazy mod tier battery and components system I though to god was due to fracking or some other shit mod , the unoptimization and generally the feel of the game just made it bad to me.

I played it a lot in beta and while I wont say it didnt shape up to be a okay game, its not fun aanymore, its the kind of game you play for 5 minutes and then realize you could be having much more fun with nearly anything else, see.

It needs mods to fix its core issues but it shouldnt to begin with. If you arent a shill and by any chance actually are part of starbounds team and checking the threads , fix optimization first and then work on shit like "unique" monsters being rare and adding new and interesting things to the planets

t.400 hour player that hates whoever pussyfied the story

Okay, Fatal Circuit was pretty badass. Someone probably made a mod to return it, luckily.
The capture pod thing was weird, you're right. Probably a mod to fix it as well.
The Agaran are super badass. I'm also pissed about that.

>OP starts with NMS comparison
>hurr durr ur drone

>What's the problem?
Terraria is better in every possible way

I'm not a shill, I promise. Just on another Starbound kick after my last one when 1.0 was released.
Trying to convince friends to buy it because I hear it's more fun with other people and i've probably done the main story (in its various forms) 20+ times.
But yeah, I agree with a lot of what you've said here. It's more excusable to me because i'm so in love with the lore/background story that the actual game story doesn't matter too much..but the story is still pretty shit.

now i get whats wrong with you and your logic... you are female!

Fixing the pet thing is as simple as changing one line of code; "capturable":"false" to "capturable":"true". It makes no fucking sense at all why they changed it after release; before the fishing update, they were capturable. They weren't good pets, but they were still eligible.

I like Terraria too, but after like 300 hours I just got burnt out. Stuff takes SO LONG to get to from scratch that it isn't worth it to me.
Starbound, on the other hand, has stuff I liked in Terraria but in a new way and is still actively being updated with new content (plus the mod scene is alive and well).

I tried both Starbound and Terraria and just couldn't really get into them. I never really liked side scrolling platformers. But honestly Starbound lasted me more. I enjoyed traveling between planets and the variety of weapons, and the whole game just felt comfier.

>tfw really want to play NMS but the price on PC won't drop below £25 even discounted

it's like £13 on PS4, i'd buy it at that price. fucking hell hello games get your shit together .

Yarr, matey.
THERE BE WINDS A BREWING OFF THE STARBOARD BOW

It's not just a meme that NMS is garbage. Save yourself the frustration.
If you really want it just pirate it, there is zero reason to give the biggest liars in the industry your money.

Another sin; these fucks.

Originally, the mushroom biome had a unique pet you could capture. It was a small bipedal mushroom with lanky arms and four legs. It may not have had the best art, but it was cute and charming. When they added the cancer that is "unique" monsters, the little colorful mushroom dudes got replaced by this. I'm having trouble finding the original mushroom dudes, but they were much better than this thing that shits spores that you can't even get hit by unless you purposely jump into them.

>implying it's a drone
All those posts with ellipses are from OP or most of them, at the very least.

>Vault Guardians
They really need to rework those, because they are either impossible or just too fucking easy.

The last guardian I fought had no attack on the upper level of the arena, the whole time.

>tfw you'll never experience the Birdemic build ever again
>tfw you'll never get fun overpowered weapons thanks to broken RNG ever again
>tfw you'll never get to bully the overly sensitive community manager ever again
>tfw you'll never be able to run the game at 60fps thanks to the shitty developers ever again
>tfw you'll never be able to play without a half-baked meme story being shoved down your throat ever again

>tfw they removed promised features such as species specific abilities

But it looks ugly as fuck

It's repetitive trash.

>tfw you'll never be able to run the game at 60fps thanks to the shitty developers ever again
What did they do to that game, I keep getting the whole engine yielding for multiple seconds, and I can play other "infinite" sandbox games full quality just fine.

I honestly like Starbound's artstyle better than Terraria. Terraria looks weird as fuck but I can't explain a reason why

I got the game somewhat recently and I've put about 50 hours in it so far and I'm loving it

r8/h8?

Take a tip from someone who wasted a whole playing NMS: it's not worth it. Even for free. You will feel nauseous from unskippable animations within a hour. And whole game is choke full of of said animation.

Cool house, man. I dig it.

That's not really all that well designed or detailed buddy

Terraria don't do smooth and round shape pretty well compared to Starbound, which why I love the design of Starbound a lot better.

Also because there's nothing like Florans in Terraria.

Two fireplaces is odd, the white bathroom gear clashes too hard with wood, same with the apex fridge, the luxurious apex dresser is overkill and stashed in a corner and the chest could just be a wooden one instead. Overall, solid 7/10, needs some fixing though.

Careful, there's a street shark on your porch

There's a lot of detailed stuff in the game.
Fuck me if I can't put it all in one post, right?

>Front walls are in bricks
>Background walls are in wood
Still pretty confy, if you expand, go up, make a massive upward town.

the biggest fucking problem is the forced outpost and forced story
fuck
i just wanted a comfy space sandbox with lots of shit to find by exploring and you find basically nothing outside of the story

the forced story is my biggest gripe too. it's so fucking retarded

The dresser is supposed to be like a gun cabinet and yeah I plan on swapping the chest out I just had that one on me at the time. And I'll probably do something different with the bathroom aswell thanks for the tips

Mods are not enough

Found a picture, far right. That little fucker was my jam. I miss it so much.

There is a mod for shit like weapon display cases/wood boards on walls user, look it up, if you feel like having some more grounded up human weaponry, try downloading the ss13 mod, has some nice looking and realistic balistics in it.

but they can help

Hey, a boss they added for a short time, served no purpose, and then got removed instead of built upon!

Oh shit there is? Thanks for the heads up and I'll check out the ss13 mod aswell

I wish the crew was more useful than just cheap bullet sponges and bonuses only available on the ship and 30 seconds after leaving it.