The great debate

The great debate

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LPj70hX4-gk
videos.sapo.pt/mF7SLkSm8REWcSEqdkv2
youtube.com/watch?v=8iqMMGNixvk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Galaxy 1 actually had an incredible story considering it was a fucking Mario platformer game, which threw everyone off guard and raised expectations for 2. Galaxy 2 was great and had more shit to do, but it sacrificed the story and hub world exploration from 1 in the process.

Console games are all shit get some taste nintenbros

THe one with an actual hub world and original orchestrated music. Also felt bigger and like an adventure

Galaxy 1, never understood why people like Galaxy 2 better. Those 2d sections were shit.
ebin false flag.

Galaxy 1 for one of the most balanced games in difficulty and flow. Galaxy 2 was fun, but just felt like a bunch of levels tacked together.

It's not a debate if you've actually played both games. Galaxy 1 is better. Galaxy's levels are extremely beautiful (seriously, play it on an emulator with a higher resolution) whereas Galaxy 2's are mostly obstacle courses. Galaxy 2 is more of an expansion pack for Galaxy 1 than a stand alone game.

This, U R MR GAY is better

Both great, but Galaxy 1 is even better.

Mario Galaxy 1 is the game that has been closest to being perfect in all aspects that I can think of.
The music, the controls, the level design, the artstyle, the story... everything was right. Exactly how it should be. Still not a perfect game, but dame it's one of my top 3 of all time.

youtube.com/watch?v=LPj70hX4-gk

>play it on an emulator with a higher resolution
Oh boy, I never tough of this. Does it emulate well on dolphin with Xbox controller at 1080p 60fps? Does it has any Graphic issues or something?

>U R Mr Gay
Kek I remember this
Galaxy 1 all the way. Only great levels from 2 were slimy spring, chompworks, cloud levels and the flash black level

It emulates fine but you need a pretty good computer to run it at full speed if you plan to bump up the textures and res. If the framerate drops too much you might get some sound issues, but I haven't played it on 5.0 yet so maybe it isn't a problem.
The wagglan maps to controller buttons just fine so you won't miss it.

Ah shit dude, I haven't played it since it came out and I feared that maybe I was having too much nostalgia. My Wii broke years ago so I guess it's time to give it another shot. Thanks bro.

"balanced games in difficulty"

found the baby. Galaxy is way too fucking easy mate.

>1 had better not gameplay but 2 had better gameplay
really makes me think

It was harder than 64 and 2 but easier than sunshine

Most would agree with this, but the thing is it's like this. Say Galaxy has 9.5 gameplay and galaxy 2 has 10, is that gap really worth talking about if Galaxy 1 is better in every other way?

neither

>Galaxy 2 was fun, but just felt like a bunch of levels tacked together
kind of like...a video game?

both are great, 1 is better for its overall feel and atmosphere

Not him but 2 didn't have better gameplay. There's only one way to go through each level, comet medals are a nice idea but they're always really obvious and easy to get. Rock Mario was trash. Drill Mario was breddy good but they got rid of ice flower which is unforgivable

Well, 64 had the harder bosses. The only threatening one in Galaxy was the rock ghost guy, and he's not very tough.

Sunshine's "difficulty" is just poor design, for the most part.

There is no debate. The first game was superior in every way.

Galaxy 2 is better, but doesn't have the "holy shit look at this new game i can't believe it" vibe

I'm too retarded to explain it better. Galaxy 2 was an improvement in many ways, but because of how similar it is, it wasn't as amazing to play for the first time

The one true vidyakino.
>that dark atmosphere
How can baby galaxy compete?

And then there's this faggot.

they should have combined them and released SMG Striker Pack for WiiU

Found the cubebabby. Sunshine is the worst mainline Mario game.

What about collecting star bits? I need to point everywhere with my mouse and have the gamepad in another hand? Mapping the cursor to the controller sounds like it'd be awkward as fuck

There were no hard bosses in 64. The fire Dino in 1 is harder than anything in 64

Sunshine's everything is just poor design

>2
>better gameplay

Nah dog, Bowser was a bitch if you mistimed your throws. Particularly when he starts doing the homing fire so you really gotta hurry up. The final Bowser fight in 64 is far and away the most challenging final boss in any 3D Mario game.

Which isn't to say it's super tough or anything, lots of us beat it when we were 10, but it's still noticeably more challenging.

Should've been a dlc
Also those green stars were annoying since you'd spend more time in menus than finding them

you can do that with the analog stick, I have it mapped so that when I click the right analog stick, the cursor shows up and I can move it around with that stick. You can just map it to the right analog stick normally though
You might be able to do it with the PS4 touchpad too but I haven't tried.

>The one true vidyakino.
>the one true video movie

Are you sure you didn't mean to post in a Sony thread?

Yeah, I really missed the ice power up, but the nostalgia-pandering 2 laced in hit me like a sucker, with road to bowser, whomp's fortress, slides all returning and then world S.
Also it having an ultimate mission was great too.

>ultimate mission
I remember how disappointed I was that I had to get all the green stars + 120 stars just to see it

I'll give it a try later. The game definitely looks amazing in Dolphin though, I've seen screens and WebMs posted on here before. I still have my copy of Galaxy 1 but I've beaten it maybe 3x on the wii already

>Should've been a dlc
Definitely agreed, but this was the Wii.

I know a lot of people are disappointed that BOTW has DLC, but would you rather pay $60 for what's essentially "More of the same, but better!" or $20 DLC

I'm retarded and still try to buy DLC physical if possible, like New Luigi U and NES Remix

Why wouldn't you, it's meant to be the last part in the game, except for the comet that needs 9999 star bits in the bank for fuck knows why

See I thought they went overboard with all the "special" levels just being retreads of previous Mario levels/bosses

its ok when nintendo does it

I have personally completed a 120 star run in Galaxy (because fuck doing all that shit again as Luigi) with a Xbox 360 controller and its just fine.
You miss some of the star bits in the corners of the screen because if you map "pointing the controller" to the right thumb for example you have a circular limit, but its fine.

See

Can't argue with that

Galaxy 2 just reused the same 5 new concepts and old levels. It didn't have a personality of its own

Galaxy 1 had better pacing and a more satisfying conslusion. Despite it's linearity, it still felt like a proper 'next-generation' Mario title.

Galaxy 2, gameplay wise, was objectively superior to it's predecessor, but like the other user said, it felt like a mish-mash of levels with no structure or cohesion. The lack of a hub-world similar to the first made it more obvious. Also, the final boss was shit, even for a Mario game.

I'm bored of typing and I lost my train of thought.

tl;dr Galaxy 1 is better for reasons

I didn't think the ball-rolling one was along with final test, but it's been ages since I played it.
Admittedly that's like 2/6, and most of it probably came from G1

There were way too many things I didn't like about 1's gameplay. The camera for one was pretty fucking shit, the controllers when changing centers of gravity was confusing, spring mario was hell and it had waaaay too many water sections.

>Galaxy
+Excellent game design
+Original

>Galaxy 2
+Slightly better game design with some new things added
--same gimmick (gravity) rehashed

Even if Galaxy 2 is technically the better game in retrospect, Galaxy was better at the time.

>would you rather have another complete game or pay extra to "complete" a game

So you think if Galaxy 2 was DLC instead of a new game, it'd have significantly less content?

galaxy 2 does everything better than 1 except story but who gives a fuck about story in mario

Galaxy 2 basically abandoned the ice flower, didn't it?

So yeah, Galaxy all the way.

1 also had better power ups, nothing comes close to the ice power up, and a far better hub world.
Starship Mario felt like such a let-down compared to all the previous 3-D hub worlds

All those things are problems in 2 as well. Also 2 had a lot of stupid shit too like all those menus popping up after getting a star and that fat grimace looking nigger

1 had much better levels too

they have the same power ups except instead of the useless flying which was never used we got spring and cloud

>hub world

another minor, irrelevant feature

>cntr+f rosalina
>0 found

the one concrete reason why smg is better and you missed it

2 is better. The hub in Galaxy 1 is a pain in the ass and I don't care for the story or atmosphere.

Spring was awful, cloud was decent.

>Part that connects the entire game together
>Minor and irrelevant

>irrelevant
How to spot underage in 2 seconds. Exploring peachs castle in 63 was one of the best things. Finding peachs secret slide and the aquarium was revolutionary

Get yourself a Bluetooth usb thingy to use wiimotes

spring was in both

>connects the game together

this isn't an open world adventure, the observatory and ship aren't hyrule fields.

OK? there was nothing of that sort in galaxy 1/2 so it's irrelevant

Because she's in 2 as well, provided you get 120 stars, then 242 she comes on starship Mario

You are everything wrong with gaming

Too bad the Observatory is nowhere near as fun to explore and run through as Peach's castle.

It's still more fun than the claustrophobic spaceship

>Someone who disagrees with me is underaged
This thought process needs to stop, especially with adults.

Not him, but I've been gaming since the late NES era. Hub worlds were cool, but later you realize it's content padding, which Mario 64 did in many ways.

Galaxy 1 didn't even have a good hubworld in the first place, at the rate it was heading, it might as well be gone

I cry everytime
videos.sapo.pt/mF7SLkSm8REWcSEqdkv2

Both have amazing level design, amazing music, visuals, everything. But I fing Galaxy 2 to have somewhat more variety, so G2.

Either way I like Sunshine the best, trying to replay the Galaxy games is a little boring compared to the first time playing because the controlls are too damn slow and easy. I like to go fast.

not him but you're a faggot, exploration is my favorite aspect of games and the observatory didn't have jack shit, it just made getting from level to level longer.

If you don't have exploration, just have a hub like galaxy 2. Otherwise you're wasting my time

yeah that's quite a presence

at least you get this fat nigger from the start

It certainly had a lot more than Starship Mario, even vaulting yourself off it had its charm, and it was nice to see your progress affect the hub, like how shine sprites made Delfino brighter.
All SM had was hitchikers

Yep. Galaxy 1 just felt like more of a total package. Rosalina's Storybook was a wonderful surprise and it's something I wish Nintendo would do more often.

>and it's something I wish Nintendo would do more often.
They never will as long as Miyamoto is still kicking.

SMG2 = SM3DW > SMG > SM64 > Sunshine > SM3DL

Fuck collect-a-thons and fuck Jiggy people.

I prefer 2, because I played it first of the two.

>I like slow, slugish movement with no skill celling

Alright, user.

Shut up bitch

lmao

I prefer Galaxy 1, I dropped G2 when I realized I was only playing G1 to make Rosalina happy.

Here comes the underage kids.

At least you're honest about your bias.

Pretty good bias though since they're both great

This is incredibly minor but I didn't like how SMG2 sort of threw aside the outer-space setting by using more blue skies as backgrounds and how the red star powerup was never returned and expanded upon

>3D world above anything
>SMG2 that high

>thinking that saying that SMS or 64 having better gameplay is somehow "nostalgia"

Stop being retarded, the Galaxy and 3D games are slow and restrictive compared to 64 and SMS

t. collect-a-nigger

SMG2 and SM3DW are the closest to the GOAT Mario games - SMW and SMB3. Therefore they are the best.

Galaxy 1 is the best Mario game in general.
The fluidity of the controls, the beautiful art style and level design, the orchestrated soundtrack, and the melancholy story tie together what is among the best games ever made. If they cut out the waggle gimmicks and put it on a console that could achieve 1080p it'd be literally perfect.

It's very telling that Miyamoto hated Rosalina and threw a shit-fit when he found out about the inclusion of her backstory. He is to Nintendo what Gene Roddenberry is to Star Trek; a visionary, but also a child of his era, with some very anachronistic views on how to approach storytelling (like how Roddenberry demanded there should be no personal conflict between the Bridge Command members; because that's how you build a story amirite?). They need to let Yoshiaki Koizumi direct games again.

Note: I actually stopped playing MG2 partway through. I'm one of those spergs that needs to 100% the game as I'm going and got stuck on Silver Stars in Double Time and that one where you're collecting coins on the wooden slide. Fuck those stars.

I love the first fight against Bowser in the first game. It's a shame the rematches were pretty much the same format.

I liked Rosalina's storybook.

but that music though
youtube.com/watch?v=8iqMMGNixvk

I have always considered Galaxy 2 an expansion of sorts of Galaxy 1. Hell, I will argue that if the game had come out on PC or other consoles, Galaxy 2 would've been DLC.

Galaxy 2 is better, but that's not saying much since both games are the low point of 3D Mario.

>both games are the low point of 3D Mario.

weak_bait.png

SO many wrong opinions in one post.

Nah. If a hub is not fun to explore or traverse through, then cut the bullshit and just give me a level select screen. Rosalina's storybook is all it has going for it.

I miss Rosalina now

Here's your (you), fag