Any games that respectfully approach war and/or violence from a complex and emotional stand point?

Any games that respectfully approach war and/or violence from a complex and emotional stand point?

youtu.be/gh41Wxez9PE

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6xVr7fo4ckQ
youtube.com/watch?v=khWSuMqnj5c
youtube.com/watch?v=FB3-zTsw6GM
youtube.com/watch?v=ldNSMnEeKio
youtube.com/watch?v=TPdveVyT7NU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>some manlytear song

gay

Play Brothers in Arms

Only one that immediately springs to mind is probably The Last of Us, where it uses extreme acts of violence to get its theme and message across, rather than to make the player feel powerful.

That being said, I'd like some examples too - I've always loved the portrayal of violence in films like Saving Private Ryan, but then when you very literally copy & paste that into games with titles such as CoD2 or MoH: Allied Assault, all of that complexity and visual language is lost in favor of being 'cool' or making you feel in control.

youtube.com/watch?v=6xVr7fo4ckQ

Valiant Hearts.

I fucking died at the ending I went to my class late to finish it and i was just "Ok no fucking crying in class stop it it's a video game WHY AM I CRYING"

World in Conflict

This War Of Mine

>inb4 200 replies of spec ops the line

This War of Mine.

I deeply enjoyed stabbing the snipers that were killing civilians for fun.

Worms

Rainbow Six 1-3

youtube.com/watch?v=khWSuMqnj5c

youtube.com/watch?v=FB3-zTsw6GM

This war of mine fits that perfectly I think.

Red Orchestra and its sequels.

It's just a team shooter user, just don't listen too closely. It's just a game.

youtube.com/watch?v=ldNSMnEeKio

MGS, even though it's got a guy who shoots bees out of his fingers.

Not sure if this is totally on spot but Red Orchestra. Nothing hits worse then shoothing a guy, then hear him bleed out and desperatly call for his mother while he is slowly dying.

Call of the Duty :S

LOTS of ludonarrative dissonance to Last of Us though.
Joel's body count by the end of the game is insane.

This War of Mine is probably the only game I've played where every life you take has weight to it and emotionally affects the killer AND the way people see them.

You should respect your enemies, not feel sad for them.

Oh Christ. I was done at 2 minutes, there's 13 more of this.

This War of Mine fits what you're asking for to a tee. Though that type of gameplay is not for everyone.

Red Orchestra is a multiplayer game does an impressive job at building immersion. I remember playing it for the first time and not caring that I got shot to shit every life, because the experience was just overwhelming. The diehard playerbase is also real into it, moreso than any other MP shooter I've tried.

>playing Fallen Fighter's Square as Allies
>we're out of reinforcement tickets
>a desperate defense on the last point
>an Axis player in a nearby trench starts playing this over open microphone

youtube.com/watch?v=TPdveVyT7NU

>mfw

Shame that the series took a bit of a dive due to the devs being incompetent.

>extended
I'm retarded.

>Shame that the series took a bit of a dive due to the devs being incompetent.
Not heard this opinion before, explain?

This.
It is very respectful of the gravity of the events despite being essentially an educational game meant for children.

RO2 has stability issues and the upcoming Rising Storm 2 doesn't look to be improving much on that front, which is a real shame.

Source: almost 400 hours in RO2 and currently in the RS2 closed beta

The game does portray Joel as being not a morally righteous person and having done very fucked up shit, it's just that everyone else is almost equally as shitty.

Mass Effect Andromeda

My nationality compels me to shill all Polish games

I pirated it and beat it but thought it was a good enough game that it deserved my money. It's pretty good.

Valiant Hearts

there are 11 spec ops games out there - let them have a well-deserved moment of glory of their younger brother

Been playing the Rising Storm beta and it definitely fucks your shit up. Also, Artillery makes you fear for your life.

The problem isn't that Joel is a remorseless killer.
It's that Joel kills a cartoonish number of people. Supposedly hardened survivors. The kind of people who would realistically give up and get out of the way after a single man depopulates the remains of Pittsburgh.
Like, ok, Joel doesn't have any respect for the value of human life (which makes it a not-great fit for OP's question btw), but also the people he fucking massacres don't have any respect for their own lives, the lives of their friends, or the survival of their communities, which is ostensibly why they're after you.

Very valid point, that's just one of the compromises while making something that's a video game. Usually not the best way to tackle topics like those.

It is pretty silly how there are literally bandits gangs of like 500 people and Joel just wades through them with little difficulty. He's not a super soldier or anything.

Well that depends, mgs 4 shits the bed horribly in that sense.

>every life you take has weight to it and emotionally affects the killer AND the way people see them.

>Try to sneak into some type of outpost or base some people set up, i see a guy or two with guns and others have crowbars.
>Desperate for food and materials
>They warm me they will kill my ass if i get closer
>rush it inside the building
>they start looking for me
>see a guy with a rifle approaching and way behind him a woman with another gun coming my way
>appear infront of the guy and beat the fuck out of him with the crowbar
>he falls dead
>woman drops the rifle and comes running towards me
>"oh shit i am fucked"
>she starts crying over the beaten body while cursing at me
>pick up the rifle from the man with some bullets, pick up the rifle of the woman, realize she had no bullets
>the other guys who were in the building are no where to be seen
>raid the fridge and go, never to come back

For the first time i felt completely bad because i won a fight.