Gameplay should be skippable

I thought of this while playing through a loyalty mission in Mass Effect 2. I wasn't really interested in the combat that I had to wade through to do the story bits. It makes sense that cutscenes should be skippable and in mass effect the cut scenes and dialogue lines are skippable but the gameplay is not. This is kind of weird because a big part of the game, maybe the biggest part, is dialogue. Dialogue is skippable so clearly they don't have a problem with the player missing important parts.
When you own a movie, you can choose the chapters that you want to play. The movie is skippable. When you own a piece of music, you can skip the music. When you own a book, you can skip parts of the book. I doesn't make sense that you can't play the games that you own the way you want to play them. I know an objection might be that games wouldn't be anything without gameplay but that isn't true. The first games were all gameplay but games today contain elements of game making, audio design, movie making, and a bunch of other things. If someone values other things in a game over the gameplay, why force the player to play through the gameplay?
This brings up a few interesting questions:
What argument(s) support unskippable gameplay?
If there were skippable gameplay, how would game design change? How would developers ensure that people don't want to skip the gameplay?

>There are people that will fall for the hamburger helper meme

I am too old for this site. saged

Game design would change vastly. Because there would be no actual gameplay involved, you dumb cunt.

Go "play" a visual novel instead, that's probably more up to your speed.

I want the whole game to be skippable. I want to buy a $60 game on Steam, watch one cutscene, get te cheevo "he beat the game" and move on with my life

>What argument(s) support unskippable gameplay?
The fact that it is the foundation of a game? You're asking for a chapter select menu, which is in many, many games. Also, the fact that Mass Effect combat is utter shit isn't worth the effort of fine-tuning a gameplay system so that cucks like you can skip it. Their efforts would better be spent on a VN or a Telltale "Game" of the same effect.

It shouldn't really matter if some one wants to pay 60 bucks just to skip gameplay and not actually play the game. If it's a singleplayer game, it doesn't affect anyone else in any way. Everyone else can just play the game normally.

Holy shit. I'm going fucking nuclear. Holy FUCK there are so many flaws in your "logic". Let me get this straight: you bought a GAME and want to skip the game parts? Maybe the problem is with you.

You are the cancer killing gaming. YOU are the fucking problem. YOU are the reason you barely have to look at the screen anymore, following map markers and minimap arrows. YOU are the reason players are never supposed to die anymore ever in videogames. Kill yourself. I'm out.

I hate to be the one to tell you, but I don't think you actually like video games, user.

honestly for games like kotor or mass effect the gameplay is the most boring fucking aspect, but that's because bioware are shit

Fuck off hamburger

If the gameplay is so shit you want to skip it just stop playing. It's sad there are so many games now that are so fucking boring now and that includes the games Sup Forums dickrides. I don't understand how you fuckers have the patience for monotonous fetch quests or trash battles in JRPGs, but can't focus long enough to get good at stuff like fighting games.

they are called VN or virtual novels and they feature titties usually. i like titties.

Doesnt Telltale already do this?

I really dont understand why you're playing games if you dont like playing games.

Guess thats kinda ableist though, isnt it?

If you were old (or at least gaming for some time) you'd realize that a lot of gameplay is shit and/or padding and you don't really have the time to waste on something that received so little effort and attention compared to the fucking cinematics, plot and characters, at least not at this stage of your life. Maybe if they made gameplay worth a damn but no. Fuck, Bioware hasn't made competent gameplay in fucking years. Even their best shit's strategic value/difficulty is based on you not having enough information/patience to get such information from the manual.

Yeah maybe Hamburger Helper shoulda kept her mouth shut when it comes to games and give us her opinion on something she knows about like shitty fanfic but it doesn't change the fact that she was fucking right.

Giving ME:A the same old fucking bland mindless repetitive empty open world bullshit atrocity you've been fed in the last 8 years didn't ruin that game (and it would if anybody gave a fuck about gameplay); ruining their cinematics by not animating/lighting/writing properly is what did. Let THAT show you how unimportant fucking gameplay is to the people who buy this shit.

>if there were skippable gameplay
>how would game design change

Go watch a movie you faggot

Short of it is they don't like games and what they involve. Primarily having to develop the skill and the knowledge by repetitive failure.

People that play games nowadays do it to be entertained. If they actually liked games sudoku or chess would be as popular as movies.

Okay, I guess so.

But isnt the bigger question, "this gameplay should be better because I am finding myself not wanting to do it?"

fuck you faggot. l stop playing video games.

Nah fuck that nigga. Your wants or needs or what's fun is fucking irrelevant. Gameplay needs:
a) an objective
b) a set of rules
c) a difficulty curve
d) a strategic component that allows the player to alter the curve
e) a skill component that allows the player to further alter the curve
f) a fucking reward would be nice
g) feedback

Making that shit good means not undermining each step. Like fucking the set of rules for instance in the usage of rubberbanding in driving/sports games; why the fuck would you want to compete against something that doesn't play by the same rules as you? Or fucking the difficulty curve by level-scaling every fucking thing or spacing the levels in such a way you need to grind to get shit done nigga. Grinding is not good motherfucking gameplay. Or having no strategic value, more prevalent today in shooter territory where it's hide behind box, wait for the animation cycle of the other guy firing at you to end, aim, fire until that shitsack of hp animates to indicate it's dead, rinse; repeat. Or demanding no fucking skill like every fucking MMO, which wouldn't be so bad if at least if they were turn-based and/or positioning/movement mattered but IT DON'T mufucka. All that matters is that shiny retarded stack of numbers that keep popping up in the screen like it were designed to drown out your own pathetic cries over your miserable life. Or fucking up the reward by telling people your choices matter and giving you RED GREEN AND BLUE MOTHERFUCKER HOW DO YOU LIKE THAT? and making Colin Moriarty tsk at you for criticizing these incredible human beings working hard at making games for you so you can just shit in their plates by complaining for something you paid for and were lied about twice in both marketing and revie-well, marketing. Oh and yeah, presentation matters. If it don't look and sound good, it ain't going nowhere nigga. Hearts is a pretty good game but at least reward a nigga by putting some titties on the back of the cards

Watch it on youtube then