youtube.com/watch?v=HHSAr0KkUdQ
youtube.com/watch?v=3ODKKILZiYY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>>Had crisper audio than the SNES
top kek

Oh but
>it has an infinitely worse library
Which is all that fucking matters for a console

Half true. The library was less diverse, but it did certain genres way better than the SNES. Things like arcade ports and sports games were god tier on the Genesis.

I was more of a Nintendo kid, but as I have gotten older I appreciate the Genesis and Sega more and more. Also, I love the soundchip they used, it has a very distinct sound quality. Lots of high-end. At the weird middle ground between very limited early digital soundcards, and more modern powerful soundcards. So it had some range, but still had a very distinctly synthetic sound quality.

>sports games ever

The sound was garbage tho

>ignoring all those 1:1 arcade ports because MUH SPORTS

A little bit of that autism is showing, user.

Why sports game that were on both SNES and Genesis did Genesis do better? What about arcade ports outside of Mortal Kombat 1?

>it has an infinitely worse library
Maybe if you wanted JRPG's but the Genesis has a much better action orientated library.

Are you telling me this sounds like shit?
youtu.be/6mG8fle3Q3c

>Had crisper audio than the SNES
lol. It sounded like a SFX machine for 1970's scifi television.

Yes Namefag.

>Sound was bad
Literally a meme.

youtu.be/SgopUbZ3BH8

And I am saying that I really like the sound quality of those older Yamaha chips.

>sports games ever
You're missing out on a whole bunch of great video games.

If you can seriously listen to the Streets of rage OST and say it sounds like shit, you're delusional.

No man, he's a hardcore gamer and sports are for normies.

>Rearrangement
Not official. That's poor form, user.

>Had crisper audio than the SNES

This guys gets it, Genesis has some pretty good music when used well.
youtube.com/watch?v=SgOGwy6zsJY

The road rash soundtrack was pretty tight as well, so weird. Never heard a Genesis soundtrack in that style again

No kidding. Sports games used to be so fucking good back then. They were all so different. You could have three football games and have 3 completely different perspectives and gameplay styles. That's not the case now. It's all muh realism.

Yeah, unlike the muffled SNES audio.

Mutant League Football and Hockey were fucking awesome.

>Rearrangement
Still using the YM2612 and Genesis samples. You won't get those phat basses and crispy snares on the S-SMP.

It's even more a problem of EA having the sole license to both Football and Soccer. Which hurts competition and variety.

I still like playing sports sims every few years though.

>Still using the YM2612 and Genesis samples.
>samples
That's the problem. If you're trying to convince someone the Genesis had a good sound chip you should be posting official music. What you posted is like using an NES "soundfont" for FruityLoops.

Genesis:
youtu.be/qa4Z7UpFA6o

SNES:
youtu.be/FD3cmD9phaY

Awww yeah, Genesis music thread?
youtube.com/watch?v=XmrikcuVy8k

the fact that they started losing major market share to 2K so instead of making better games they just bought exclusivity agreements to most of the major sports franchises should have told you everything you needed to know about EA all the way back then. The only reason there are non-EA baseball games is because Sony threw a ton of money at the MLB for some reason.

youtube.com/watch?v=pLDBwMusg4o

Hell yeah, motherfucker!

Don't forget that they have a soundtrack composed for them instead of licensing top 40 shit

Agreed. NFL 2K5 is still my favorite football game. After all that posting of those hilarious graphical glitches in The Show I kind of want to buy that now.

>Genesis had bad music
Explain this
youtube.com/watch?v=o0VKU7HVH8g

Genesis:
youtube.com/watch?v=LffloEsklvA

SNES:
youtube.com/watch?v=jyBTVrVryUo

>remastered

This is the goddamn worse. It would cost less money to hire a composer than to pay the license for those awful songs.
Hell, you don't really need to make amazing, catchy songs either. Just some neutral sounding menu music and maybe fanfares.

youtube.com/watch?v=eovDhXSmtNI

The SNES had a more advanced sound chip and picture processing unit. It was a good investment too, with talented composers the soundchip could sound close to CD quality and with more colors available the lower resolution hardly matters.
youtube.com/watch?v=0H5YoFv09uQ
youtube.com/watch?v=LDvKwSVuUGA
youtube.com/watch?v=PEJgOduDaLA

Sounds straight out of the cart to me.

They also don't futureproof the games either. They know that once the next annual release comes out, they can just stop supporting the older versions so when those licenses run out. They typically discontenue the game way before that happens. Not like you'd ever see a remaster or rerelease of a most major sports titles but shit does happen like the soundtrack debacle with GTA San Andreas on steam. It's asinine.

youtube.com/watch?v=PRgjecnbqp0

I just don't see the point in buying those games after 2004 or so. I mean, a lot of developers get a bad rep for rehashing games, but what fucking major difference is there between FIFA16 and FIFA17 that justifies a $60 purchase?

This whole thread could be dedicated to the magic that is Thunderforce 2-4 youtube.com/watch?v=dbFlcOsT2MU

I get the feeling that the Genesis sound chip (the Yamaha YM2612) was underrated for so long that people are now starting to overrate it and downplay the SNES' Sony S-SMP.

I reckon they're both good in different ways. And the SNES sound isn't as muffled as some of its detractors claim (and yes, I'm aware that emulators reproduce the sound in higher quality than the actual console).

That being said, I do genuinely believe it was a little embarrassing for the SNES to have much slower hardware than the Genesis despite being 2 years newer. There's little excuse for having such a backwards CPU (not even just talking about clockspeed here, but even shit like registers) and slow RAM on a very narrow bus.

Just about all the SNES graphics hardware had going for it was a higher color count (albeit at a lower screen resolution), hardware support for transparency, and hardware support for background scaling/rotation.

But like, aside from the color related shit, you can generate most of these effects on the Genesis' Motorola 68000 CPU because it's pretty fast at matrix operations (scaling/rotation, etc). Plus, because it's software, it has the freedom to apply it to sprites, while the SNES only has acceleration for backgrounds, while its CPU is too feeble to scale/rotate sprites without support chips.

Also a lot of SNES fans have a habit of bringing up the SuperFX without realizing that the Genesis had a counterpart called the SVP chip, which was actually faster than SuperFX1 or 2.

>A flower
Never ceases to make me chuckle. Prog was off the goddamn rails in the early 70s.

if you have to buy FIFA, I can't see how anyone would argue for buying any version other than the ones released during World Cup years. They have the most teams and most pitches and typically have more money thrown at them because they're promoting the world cup.

I do believe that technically and artistically Sega was a talented group of people. Games like Phantasy Star, Alex Kidd, Virtua Fighter, Panzer Dragoon. These were all interesting in many ways, both technically and stylistically. I think I appreciate them more as an adult.

It seems that the business side what not their strong suit though.

>It seems that the business side what not their strong suit though.
While it eventually led to their downfall, you can't deny that the strategy implemented with the Genesis launch wasn't genius. The Genesis Does What Ninendont campaign was fucking brutal during the last days of the NES and start of the SNES.

TO BE THIS GOOD TAKES AGES
TO BE THIS GOOD TAKES SEGA

Easy win for Genesis here

So well that it still creates butthurt to this day.

And that seems to have been largely on the SoA side. I should clarify that I meant Sega of Japan seemed to be lacking in business sense.

>It seems that the business side what not their strong suit though.
Really have to wonder what could have been had their not been so much infighting between SoJ and SoA.

Even with decades of reflection, I still cannot begin to understand the logic behind the Saturn's clusterfuck of a launch

The Lion King (Genesis version) had its music ported by Matt Furniss who was an excellent FM music programmer.

The SNES side had its talent as well, the music was ported by Frank Klepacki who later wrote the music for C&C.

But I have to say despite the fact that I'm very fond of Hakuna Matata on SNES, that version has some very inconsistent tracks, while the Genesis version is very solid throughout.

This is IMO particularly poor on SNES. Doesn't get you pumped up at all.

youtube.com/watch?v=m3xkfzePp94

youtube.com/watch?v=kTPRYy7OyXw

Did the general public even ABSOLUTELY FUCKING NEED 3D graphics? Considering that the Game Boy Color was allowed to get away with being a portable NES and Metal Slug was a big hit back in the day

It is interesting that Moore clearly took that to heart with the Dreamcast launch, which probably was the first release I can remember being hyped up THAT much.

They did a good job with it too, great release.

Keep on with the good stuff. youtube.com/watch?v=6_IJYc9t3vQ

The Saturn was a catastrophe, but goddamn I wish that system had been able to compete with the N64 and PS. There were a lot of really unique and cool games for it.
Also, dat fucking d-pad. My dick!

Dreamcast was a great machine. I don't think anyone could possibly argue against it. Things like the VMU were a little bit on the questionable side by everything else it did it did really well.

Besides antipiracy.

>Did the general public even ABSOLUTELY FUCKING NEED 3D graphics?
Probably not, but it would have been a bloody hard sell, since having 3D graphics back then was a much bigger thing than say being an open-world game now.

If Sega had stuck to their guns and just made it a purely 2D console they might just have been able to convince the public it was a good option. But you have to remember in context, a lot of people had just been playing 2D games up to that point so it felt a bit old hat to some people.

If they pulled it off, Saturn would have been able to distinguish itself in the market. If they hadn't, well, history would regard the console as being hilariously short-sighted with a bigger blunder than N64 sticking with cartridges.

>Tim Follin
Nigga, that's cheating.

No not really, it was too early. Most Saturn games play fine today while most ps1/n64 games play and look like shit

The SNES version sounds a bit tame, but it's closer to the original soundtrack. Honestly, I think these type of games that go for a more ''organic'' sound just didn't fare well with the Genesis, while electronic, bass-heavy rock tunes were its forte.

It's kind of funny that, in the end, I believe the Sega Saturn had more games on it than the 64.

I get the feeling the people who say this don't actually own a Saturn.

Yeah and better games to, the n64 is overrated as fuck

Unless I've missed a rerelease, i think the Saturn still has the most content for its release of SOTN.

Yeah that was also a point I was trying to make on the side, that for the Lion King in particular the SNES version aurally should have wiped the floor with the Genesis since it's based on natural instrumentation, which is the exact opposite of what the Genesis' sound chip is good at (electric, synthetic instrumentation)

youtube.com/watch?v=HHSAr0KkUdQ

This game had a pretty awesome soundtrack.

Same goes for you

I believe the Saturn release of RE and Suikoden had the most content as well.

was that an official blurb?

Not cheating if i like his music on both platforms youtube.com/watch?v=3ODKKILZiYY

Fun Fact: there are more North American Saturn games than all Wii u games that had a physical release in all regions

>I believe the Sega Saturn had more games on it than the 64
I think they're pretty close, actually. Some 500 for both. They were both completely fucking shat on by the PS's library though.

You guys are making me want to pull out my Genesis and play some games.

I want to say the PSP version carried that content over, so tied?

Downside for the Saturn version is that the port was done poorly; Both from a mechanical point as well as on the visual end as an extension there of.

The Genesis versions of Rocket Knight were better than Sparkster on the SNES as well.

I also wish we had Turbographx discussion, because I also love NEC a lot. I even have their incredibly failed sequel to the PC-Engine. The PC-FX.

>Two brand new areas
>Playable Maria
>Dedicated item use button
I'm fucking mad as hell that they didn't include that shit in the PSN/XBLA releases.

Too bad SOTN's Saturn port is absolute garbage

According to Wikipedia:

N64 - 388
Saturn - 597
PS1 - 2430

You're right, I don't own one.

>the n64 is overrated as fuck

It's overhyped mostly because of GoldenEye and OoT.
fuck the nostalgia tards

I didn't even think those games were as great as they're hyped to have been when I played them as brand new titles. They're good but god damn

>EA's special snowflake cartridges

it's a shame that this was during a period when EA actually released some bloody good games, cause otherwise you could have visually determined which games not to buy

Nintendo ripping off the Nomad with the Switch.

The SNES game is the only one I haven't beaten. I could never get past that damn pyramid boss.

>I also wish we had Turbographx discussion, because I also love NEC a lot. I even have their incredibly failed sequel to the PC-Engine. The PC-FX.

To be fair, I doubt many people on Sup Forums even know what those are.

Trip Hawkins era EA was legit.

I was a bit confused whether the region list was referring to total games sold in the region, or games specific to that region. Man, the N64 library was small.

I don't really consider the use of cartridges as a blunder. They pulled off some good shit on the N64 thanks to that.
Literally all CDs had going for it was CD-quality music. FMVs are a gimmick.

I'm waiting for some body explain how good 32X is .. in that's era.

The Nomad was a ripoff of the TurboExpress, the Sega CD was a ripoff of the PC Engine CD and the 32X was a ripoff of the Jaguar.

The reason Goldeneye and OoT are highly regard is because the former codified non-Doom-clone FPS, and the latter codified 3D action-adventure games.

Up until those two came out, their respective areas were either an awkwardly designed mess or suffered from poor sales.

Fuck yeah, user. Got that nigga told!
What's your favourite Saturn game?

True. I saw someone ask in a thread the other day "Does the Turbographx even have any good games, or was it just a meme?"

Barring the fact that the word "meme" makes my skin-crawl at this point by how meaningless it is, that question bummed me out a bit.

I feel like a lot of gamers want to rewrite the history of gaming to be solely Nintendo until like 2004.

32X fags exist?

I don't understand why this matters. Each system probably still only had 10-20 actually good games.