Is the gothic series known in the USA? What do you guys think of it?

Is the gothic series known in the USA? What do you guys think of it?

For me still one of the best RPGs ever made. Well at least Gothic 1 and 2 (+add on).

Other urls found in this thread:

everypixel.com/aesthetics
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I just beat Gothic 1 and am playing Gothic 2. 1 was okay, I like 2 but I'm only 4 hours in

I tried to play Gothic 1, atmosphere and story seemed neat but the control scheme was fucking atrocious. Might have to try it again some day

He is evolving.

what website?

everypixel.com/aesthetics

Gothic 1 is just okay.
Gothic 2 is incredible though.

>sword

What?

I'm now at chapter 3 and this guy did in fact not block my path.

Gothic 1 is a masterpiece
Gothic 2 is underwhelming, but okay

The controls are good once you get used to them.
I hated them when I played the demo back in the day but after a friend kept bugging me to play the game the controls became second nature after a while.

Because it's main character, you can't get that armor without cheats though.

>you can't get that armor without cheats though.
damn, looked neat

t.faggot.

Recently replayed Gothic 1 and honestly it was a lot worse than I remembered.
The best part of the game is the beginning, where you're treated like a shmuck. Once you join a faction the rest of the game is basically a series of rather poor dungeon crawls. It also plays out the same no matter what faction you choose.

Still a decent game with cool original setting, but no masterpiece for sure.

Gothic 1 has 0 replayability, it's a one time thing, unlike Gothic 2.

I've got some major issues

How long does each playthru take you? For me it takes ~8 hours, can't find anything else to do.

Once you get used to the controls it's amazing. I remember I nearly uninstalled when I had to google how to pick up that motherfucking torch.

I'm from europe and most people i know played these games when they were kids, even normies. I never did cus I didnt have a PC as a kid.

I tried to play Gothic 1 for years but the controls always put me off. Last year I pulled through and I think the first game is a solid 8 in terms of all rpg things but the controls by today standards really are a drag to play.

Gothic 2 in the other hand is one of the best RPG's I have played and I have played quite a few by now, it's such a great fucking game.

Yeah, the pacing and faction stuff is one thing that Gothic 2 fixed. But there are some other departments where Gothic 2 seriously pisses me off compared to 1.

>having taste this bad

Well yeah between 8 and 12 hours depending on how much I just sit around and take walks and stuff. (Also mods like Dunkle Geheimnisse and Diccuric add shittons of playtime)

I've got like twice the amount of hours in Gothic 2 DNDR but steam stopped keeping track at some point

2 is fun so far, I think I fucked my chances of finding the thieves guild by joining the militia, though. and my swampweed leads have dried up it seems

oh man I wish I could go back and play it for the first time

Thanks, I'll check those mods out. Sadly steam does not track hours when using Gothic Starter.

I just open with steam and keep that error message up while I'm playing, it can get annoying but I'm kind of autistic like that

hate having to kite those lighthouse bandits to Mika

Can I bitch about Gothic 2 a little? It's like it completely lacks the ambition of G1's exploration design.

Acrobatics? Scrapped. (NotR sort of added it back.)

More interesting spells such as Telekinesis or Control? Gone. Enjoy your gajillion summons and five different ways to do 200 damage.

Level design took a fucking nosedive. Ladders had problems, but they could have fixed them. Instead all ladders of Khorinis pulled a disappearing act or got broken/buried/etc in such a contrived manner you'd almost think they are mirrors.

Transformation for exploration? Yeah, Gothic 1 Bloodfly transformation was a bit of a cop out with limited flying mechanics. They could have fixed it. But nope, Bloodfly and Meatbug scrolls? Scrapped and scrapped.

Diving controlled kinda bad and lacked the option to interact with anything, but they could have fixed it. Instead even though there is water everywhere, rivers, lakes, and the fucking ocean, there is just no reason to dive anywhere (except in NotR).

And oh shit nigger, let me talk about my favorite, because it is a thing of marvel. Water currents? Wut r dose? The rivers of Khorinis stand still. Someone must have seriously pissed off Adanos, because mysteriously enough the rivers of the Colony also stopped moving. Enter one of the water currents of Gothic, and one of three things will happen:

-you just stand still in what should be flowing water. This includes waterfalls by the way. You can just stick out of the side of a waterfall.

-you will fall under the water surface, and get to take a walk on the bottom, until you find a place that leads back to stillwater, where you jump and get back to swimming

-or you hit the surface of said water current, which is flat and rock solid. Try to jump into it, and you'll either die from fall damage as you hit the surface, or pull a Jesus v2.0, and take a casual walk on top of a rapidly moving river.

Such are the wonders of Gothic 2's exploration.

pretty mediocre exploration all around it seems

Gothic 1 was mediocre shit though.

Exploration is still better than in most games, but it mostly fails building on Gothic 1.

It was a very ambitious clusterfuck. Gothic 2 on the other hand is polished mediocrity. Well, "polished", except for the water currents. Even for 2002 that's just embarrassingly bad. It's like they assumed the Valley didn't need any testing whatsoever.

I do like when enemies arbitrarily chip at your health OR one shot you

Only problem I have with Gothic 1 is it's very short playtime.

>More interesting spells such as Telekinesis or Control? Gone
>Bloodfly and Meatbug scrolls?
It's a 1 time thing, you can't just put it everywhere and expect it to work as good as the first time. Meatbug transformation was the shit though.
>Instead all ladders of Khorinis pulled a disappearing act or got broken/buried/etc in such a contrived manner you'd almost think they are mirrors.
PB even made a joke about this in NOTR, but yeah, ladders are overrated.
>Level design took a fucking nosedive.
That's straight a lie, amazing level desing is still there, just not as much vertically, I guess.
Not even going to bother debating about water current, my autism level is not near close enough to win this battle.
>Such are the wonders of Gothic 2's exploration.
At least you have something to explore in G2, G1 world is literally empty outside of main quest.
Heh.