How did the Hylian Shield go from being a standard shield that is sold in average swords to being a one-of-a-kind...

How did the Hylian Shield go from being a standard shield that is sold in average swords to being a one-of-a-kind legendary shield that only the true hero of Hyrule ever uses?

>average swords

Shit, I meant "average stores".

because it was a shield that the true hero of hyrule used

People really, really liked oot.

It was the best shield in Skyward Sword, so it's safe to assume that canonically Skyward Sword Link used it. After that the shield probably became the basis for the Hylian forces that Skyward Sword Link presumably had some hand in establishing.

It's special in Breath of the Wild because it's 10000 years later so it's associated with the Ocarina of Time Link and his legendary status.

I don't think it was that special in Twilight Princess, I don't recall. I think it just happened to be a shield that he ended up getting.

Breath of the Wild takes place 10000 after a far future from oot where Hyrule was an industrialized country, so I think it's safe to say that botw plays like 15000 years after oot

Brand recognition. And OoT wanking. Gimme back the Mirror Shield.

In Twilight Princess, it's just a shield you can buy at Malo Mart when you need protection from fire (so pretty much the same exact thing as OoT).

Where do you get this in BotW?

some prison area in Hyrule castle behind a skelly mclargehuge

More importantly, now that the settle has dusted, was Skyward Sword secretly the best Zelda?

This, mirror shield was hype in OoT/MM/WW

fuck I mean imagine it in BOTW, 0 durability take and can deflect guardian beams.

No, it wasn't.

Mirror Shield is a shitty late-game gimmick, and only the WW version actually looked good.

In Ocarina of Time, the Hylian shield was wooden with a metal overlay. So it's likely that the ones in Ocarina of Time were relatively cheap replicas.

that's why the BotW version would be superior applies to a lot of things in that world, they could even do something shitty like focusing a sun beam or something

The original Mirror Shield before the censorship was the best.

it functions nothing like the other mirror shields

Why was Minish Cap secretly the best Zelda?

because it's not

it was made by crapcom

>islam owns the cresant and star, you can't use them

so tolerant

Ocarina of Time was secretly the best Zelda.

It's the reward for the hazing ritual hyrulian knights go through.

>the settle has dusted
xD

>secretly

i don't think that was really well kept in the dark.

if you want a "secret" good zelda game tell people to play 2.

But it's not a shield that only Link uses. It's almost a standard equipment for Hyrule's army. At least the soldier that use swords. All 3 of them since the rest are fucking Pikmen.

the decription of the shield in BotW pretty much gives the shield "legendary" status. it was a standard issue shield in OoT, absolutely. however with time the design is lost, fewer models exist, and each one that does now boasts superior defense and durability to any shield in the game. they don't make shields like they used to in hyrule.

Well the economy went down the drain but people kept voting for Zelda's bloodline so they needed to cut corners. They started making worse equipment, the kingdom fell to Ganon and the secret technique of million folded steel used to craft the legendary old equipment was lost forever.

Think of it this way. In OOT your shield never broke so the Hylian shield had to be pretty damn durable. unfortunately that ancient technology of smithing was lost.

you know monarchies are never democratic, people don't get to choose their royal families.

You know it was a joke.

>cresant

>Skyward Sword
>post-apocalyptic game
>Goddess-era tier technology is tens of millenniums ahead of sky civilization tech which is mostly scavenged and otherwise medieval
>blessed by the goddess

>Ocarina of Time/Twilight Princess(which takes place within 1-2 centuries of Majora's Mask)
>people fairly attuned with magic
>enough time has passed since Skyward Sword for the Hylian Shield to be mass-produced regularly with blacksmiths in top form
>no enormous disasters to turn the world into a shithole until Ganondorf arrives
>even created a custom made one for Link in Majora's Mask to use as a child that he can hold normally instead of "turtling"

>Breath of the Wild
>quadruple post-apocalyptic setting
>ancient tech is lightyears beyond what they can manufacture regularly

He obviously meant croissant.

>>even created a custom made one for Link in Majora's Mask to use as a child that he can hold normally instead of "turtling"
Not really true. It's a standard shield. MM Link is older and bigger than OoT Child Link.

so... if ganon is demise, why did it take him so damn long to comeback after SS and why was it so easy for Ganon to keep coming back after he was known as Ganon?

honhonhon

You can get an inifinite amount of the shield in BoTW.

>not prefering this hylian shield over OoT one

Ganon is not Demise.
Demise is dead and his essence of evil is sealed deep down in Fi (doujin of Demise sealing his essence into Fi when?).

Ganon is a manifestation of Demises curse. It's not explained exactly how the curse works so there are many different ways it could happen, but Ganon is not Demise.
One explanation would be the obvious and boring. The curse made Ganondorf evil.
Another explanation could work well with WW. The curse lead to the Gerudo living a shitty life which lead Ganondorf to want to conquer Hyrule and when he got the Triforce of Power he got corrupted by power and turned to the tyrant we all know rather than the petty murderous thief he was before. The curse is open to interpretation of whether it dirrectly affects the person and turns them evil or if it creates the right circumstances to get the most fitting person turn evil. But there is absolutely no space for discussion of whether Ganon is Demise. He isn't.

It probably got remembered as a symbol because several Links used it.

>Use it to start focus the sunbeam and that sets fire to brush around enemy camps, or set off explosive barrels. Or melts the meltable ice in colder areas

Awesome.

Ganon isn't Demise. Ganon is just one manifestation of Demise's curse. Whenever the Hero reincarnates and he's in the general proximity of someone descended from SS Zelda, there'll be a villain who arises to do some shit.

So Ganondorf, Vaati, Malladus, all just part of a longterm curse.

why hylian shield is canonically an hylian grunt tool, yet every possible "regular soldier" that shows in games lacks one of this?
I was kinda interested in Hyrule Warriors, I was curious about how they "oficially" depict the regular armies of hyrule, but they ended up being this classic epic fantasy shit

I've been waiting for the mirror shield to return

I like light reflection puzzles

MM art Link looks like a 12 yr old who just got out of prison and ain't afraid to go back.

>only some crappy royal family crest difference them from Boletarian soldiers and Knight

>Rank-and-file wizards
Interdasting

OoT Link is Dick Grayson
MM is motherfucking Damian Wayne

underrated

The shield the captains use is the "Holy Hylian Shield"

The proper Hylian Shield is only used by Link once he has the Master Sword, so it's got legendary hero status in Hyrule Warriors as well.

Link himself has to use custom shields with all his swords, since they have to be modified for him to hold in his right hand.

>can't even get it until after you beat the game
what's even the point

It's literally called "Hero's Shield"
It's not much of a stretch to imagine it was specially crafted for him, especially after he saved the realm by ratting out Ganondorf.

>get Ganondorf executed
>can get anything you want
>could probably get an audience with the ancient sages
>asks for a shield and the ocarina of time then fucks off
OoT Link could have thought this through more

Same reason Darth Vader went from being an evil space knight to space Jesus. Popularity and iconicness made the creators place more importance on it.

Somehow I doubt that's how it happened but it's pretty funny

The Hylian shield is literally just a shield used by Hylian soldiers.

And yet not a single game shows Hylian soldiers using them. Not Ocarina of Time, not Twilight Princess, not Hyrule Warriors, not Minish Cap, not Four Swords Adventures, not A Link to the Past, not A Link Between Worlds.

>hylian shield is hidden in lorule for some fucking reason in ALBW
what were they THINKING

In SS it's the only shield that's indestructible.

I don't think they were thinking anything when they made Lorule.
It's literally just an excuse to reuse the Dark World.

imagine link, zelda or ganon would remember that they are doing this shit forever and it doesn't matter who wins

That's what everyone kept saying the plot to BotW would be. That they realize the curse and have to end it once and for all or something.

ALLAH IS MY SHIELD.

This is the most Reddit post I've seen today

But they use the royal or soldier shields

My favorite is actually the alttp one, I always thought the other ones seemed too small.

This. It's just fan service by this point.

Because you have shit taste.

Honestly Mario Kart 8 DLC pack 1 is secretly the best Zelda.

Sauce? If it's made of wood it would catch fire in Dodongos Cavern, negating getting it in the first place over Kokiri

this tbqhwyf

it's only second to game & watch zelda

it has a metal overlay, the side that faces link is wooden

enemies aren't hitting the back of the shield

Nintendo only produced limited quantities.

You can see it when it's raised in-game, I think. The back panel is wood boards.

I didn't know how much I wanted this until now.

>In Ocarina of Time, the Hylian shield was wooden with a metal overlay.
Just like every other good shield since the history of mankind.
Do people really think that shields are thick slabs of metal? Do people understand how fucking heavy that would be and how literally impossible it would be to use them in combat with 1 hand?

It's like that in SS and WW and MM and every other game that features the Hylian Shield.

This, and also

this

It didn't. Not chronologically. You have it backwards.

>You have it backwards.
Pretty much.
The first time the Hylian Shield is ever mentioned (canonically) is in SS where Link gets it from the Thunder Dragon after clearing a hard challenge (boss rush mode). It's a one of a kind indestructible shield.

It's safe to assume that later on copies of it were mass produced since the shield was sold in many shops.

It will be in a few years after the next game is out

Not him but then how would any shield have staying power like the heater or kite?

Cant imagine any shield taking a sword blow, never mind arrow fire, if its made if dingy wood.

Theres only ever been 1 true hylian shield.
Lost in ancient times before the kingdom of hyrule was ripped from the ground, Link in SS is gifted it from a challenge well done.
In OoT its got a wooden back for instance. Its not made of the magic metal the original series from the first known hyrule that was literally only in a manga.

Its held a legendary status in most games since OoT because the Hero of Time had one that looked like it but in those games its likely you found the one true shield, its standard issue in OoT because they are replicas, just like the ceremonial spear in BotW.

Too bad its a sack of shit now thats its so been so long. But to last much much longer than 10000 is amazing

Wood is powerful.

>*hyrule shield has broken*

Pre-order dlc

Its the best 2D Zelda no matter how much your nostalgia deludes you

also using the term shit taste isnt valid

As far I know you can harden the wood by smoking it

It's covered in metal.
Also it's just not and kind of wood. It's treated and refined to be more durable, then I think slightly burned on the surface for whatever reason and then the defending side is covered in a nice sheet of metal.

They are pretty fucking durable.

That's what you get for using SS as a point of reference and not the games where it's mass produced desu

You can buy a new one from Grante once Tarrey Town is complete. It costs 3k rupees.

>That's what you get for using SS as a point of reference
>its unbreakable in SS

What did he mean by this?

Or just buy it with rupees.

>legendary shield costs 3k

You think it should be unbreakable like in SS instead of the mass produced Chinese version you can buy in OoT later on.

That's what you get for using SS as a point of reference.

Fantasy has messed up my mind. I always imagined shields being reshaped and decorated metallic plates, or at least the good ones royals had. Were shields not supposed to survive a battle?

>legendary

Mass produced in the timeline as early as OoT

the real shield in OoT can be found in the cemetary
Don't feed this troll

>shops having useful gear

FUCK
I wish, then I could get another gerudo bow or zora spear easier god fucking dammit.
I really wish there was a weapon shop that just carried that regions lowest tier.