Mass Effect

Commander Shepherd is a Mary sue at least Ryder is more grounded

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=weqByW6rHZQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Just because you don't like something doesn't make the character a Mary Sue

Ryder is a Manlet

Shut Up I'm 5'5 and I probably get more pussy than you

Making your character an unlikeable faggot doesn't mean he is "more grounded".

>getting asshurt over a comment on a video game board
>resorts to lying
>regarless if true or not you seek validation

Turbo faggot.

Everyone sucks the Pathfinder's dick right off the bat.

Shepard Literally starts as a grunt and does not even get the slightest recognition the Pathfinder receives until the very end.

Fuck I miss him bros I'm starting to think that you can't make a Mass Effect game without shepard

>Mary Sue
>Despite giving you the option to choose his background and hearing out his history prior to ME1

Okay buddy

Wait, there are other backgrounds than Spacer War Hero?

>Sup Forums loses it's shit that Bioware made Ryder more average looking to be more relatable to average people
>yet giving her one flaw, autism, did actually make her more relatable for Sup Forums

(you)

>Special Ops Soldier
>Best Soldier in the Alliance
>Makes sense that he's able to do the impossible

Manlet Ryder
>A grunt in the Alliance
>Given his role by his daddy
>Somehow wings it

well ryder is a lot closer to the ground thats for sure

They should have included Shepard's default appearance as a bonus in Andromeda and made him taller and beefier than default Rayder

/ourgirl/

It's better that they don't. If EA thought you needed Shepard to make a Mass Effect game, they'd fuck the story beyond all repair just to keep Shepard relevant, like 343 did with Halo. Our best hope is that EA whips Bioware into shape for MEA2 and they continue Ryder's story and make it better this time.

Remember that week after Star wars when Sup Forums learnt what a Mary sue was? good times

Ryder wakes up and is hailed as a godking
Shepard was serving in the military long before being promoted and was given a lot of shit by the council

>Ruthless
>Sole Survivor
>War Hero

Each one gives bonus ingame stats for your paragon/renegade meter and a unique mission based on the events of each background.

Shepard will return as Earth's cyborg overlord and is the big baddie in Andromeda 2.

I don't know a Logan style Mass Effect game will be amazing

I was being sarcastic. I think majority of players picked Spacer and War Hero as their background.

I know you were. I just wanted to talk more about my favourite game.

I hope you understand.

>yet giving her one flaw, autism, did actually make her more relatable for Sup Forums
I'm pretty sure people are just memeing it up and being perverts instead of actually caring about the character.

I'm convinced this is a marketing ploy.
I don't that it's very effective, though.

>Grizzled Commander Shepherd
>Living in post Reapers War
>Given one Last Mission
>Sets up the younger prodigy
>Have Sheperd die in a Halo Reach last Stand
The Prodigy Takes the Main role in future games
I want to play this game

>Shepard! my friend!

The feels

colonist sole survivor was the best though

Colonist and Sole Survivor is the way to go, the immense losses Shepard lives through twice go a long way to explaining why having the squad around as a replacement family is so important.

I prefer being a war hero with a living mom:P

>family and friends raped and murdered by space pirates
>nowhere else to go, join the military
>new family and friends are raped and murdered by space slugs
Shepard had a hard life

If MEA ends up getting a sequel I hope they drop this kett nonsense. Have the Milky Way send a more advanced force with Mass Effect Relay in tow. They get their faster than the Initiative because 600 years or whatever technological progress while the arks were iced. They then have a tense political stand off between where Initiative humans aren't trusted by the locals, are seen as second class sentients at best by the comparatively advanced Milky Way forces, and now they have to broker a truce between all these factions and convince everyone of the ancient evil.

Basically X3 Terran Conflict.

I mean, Ryder does have a super AI partially controlling his body.

>fight back reaper threat
>years later no one believes you still
>die
>get resurrected by the group that killed your old squad

I think Shepard wasn't really a mary sue until 2 or 3. The original concept was an interesting story about a video game hero and the series evolved into a series of juvenile power fantasies strung together without thought.

There was so much more to this game than people realized, particularly the ending to the trilogy.
There was never a choice for people who played it through to the end.

Earthborn Survivor is kino though
>Go up in the mean streets of Earth, probably once of the most dangerous places due to Human being cutthroats, know suffering well
>Try and do the right thing and join the Military to get a better life
>NOPE all the friends you had died due to space bugs and only grit and luck saved you
Best Soldier background

>the friend whose life you saved at the expense of another friend treats you like shit and assumes you've turned evil because of this
Oh man.

I'm pretty sure that by definition, Ryder is absolutely the mary sue between the two.

This is actually true. It's one of the reasons I was really hopeful for Ryder being good, seeing as other than his dad being this important guy, Ryder starts off pretty much as a nobody.

Life must be an emotional rollercoaster for you, same you can't ride real rollercoasters.

>Have the Milky Way send a more advanced force with Mass Effect Relay in tow. They get their faster than the Initiative because 600 years or whatever technological progress while the arks were iced

People keep proposing this as a plot point and it doesn't make any sense. Why would anyone go chasing after a small, privately funded civilian project when they don't even know if it was successful or not. Especially hundreds of years later when it's no longer even fresh on people's minds.

The Andromeda Initiative was the passion project of an eccentric space billionaire so it makes sense that it's not the best usage of resources. Why would anyone else be interested in going there over exploring the rest of the galaxy that they're already in?

>It's, it's really over? Maybe the screaming will stop now, I don't know
>I do, it doesn't
youtube.com/watch?v=weqByW6rHZQ
And me2 kids complain about Shepard being broken mess in the 3rd game

>comander the civillians are all loaded I'll hold the line while you eva-
No "insert name" I have the line. You make sure those colonialist get back safely
>sir with all do respect... You're a hero, I'm just a grunt. I should-
That's an order marine
>... Yes sir
Give them my regards- tell liara... I'm sorry
>que last stand survival mode as the ship departs.
>last scenes are of shepard among dozens of corpses, bleeding and dying.
>he watches as the ship breaks orbit, the sun breaks dawn over a second orbiting planet moon.
But shepard lived right dad? I mean he saved you, he's the shepard. He always makes it out alive.
...The thing about hero's son; is that if they stand for wgats right- if they stand for the good of all and the idea of justice. They never really die. They live on in those who believe the same. They live on in the lives they save. Now get some sleep.

>Shepard
>No matter what background you choose, you have a significant involvement in these really important events.
>You are the one chosen to be the first human Spectre.
>Being touched by the beacon litterally makes you the most important person in the galaxy.

>Ryder
>My dad's kind of an important guy.
>whoops he's dead guess I'll step up and pick up where he left off.

Sorry, but OP is right.
Andromeda has more fucking problems than I can count but Shepard is absolutely the bigger Mary Sue story-wise.

Gameplay-wise though, which I think is what you were getting at, yeah Ryder having access to every power in the game is bullshit and makes him/her a mary sue.

Although I have come around to the idea of starting with a blank slate and building them up into what ever class role you feel like. It's still a bullshit system but I don't hate it as much as I used to.

My main problem was just how fucking bland an entirely new galaxy turned out to be. Two new alien races, both just a shitty humanoid model, and both with extremely generic beliefs

I prefer my anti-Batarian Colonist/Ruthless Shepard.

>Batarians kill or enslave everyone Shepard knew as a child
>Enlist in the military, end up fighting filthy Batarians
>Send wave after wave of your own men at them and slaughter the survivors as they surrender

As a bonus, I make sure to slowly execute the Batarian terrorist in the DLC mission.

>there are people who didnt choose ruthless and sacrificed the council so the Human fleet could destroy sovereign

>You are the one chosen to be the first human Spectre.
Anderson was their first pick.

>not picking spacer/ruthless

How can any other game even compete with first one?

This. Colonist Survivor is one hardened as fuck Shepard. My first playthrough was this and no other combination of background ever gave the same feeling. Even the side quests tied to both of these were great. Earthborn Ruthless is pretty good too if you want to explain why Shep would become a renegade as fuck operative.

I feel like they could have had different starting races in ME:A, it would have masked their shitty human characters a bit more

Shepard in ME1 was just an elite soldier, the reapers did not give a shit about just another human. In 2 the writing team took a retarded turn with having reapers wanting his body to immortalize him in a machine and the whole HUMANITY IS THE BEST angle

ME should have ended after 1

>Ryder is the Pathfinder
>Has the ability to change from a Soldier,, to Vangaurd, to Engineer etc. on the fly
>Somehow that doesnt make Ryder a mary sue

And despite all that, seeing some random kid blow up in the reaper invasion is what triggers PTSD.

Sheperd looks like a closed faggot though

INDOCTRINATION

Artificial intelligence, son.

Ignoring that the Aderson thing was 20 years before ME1, I forgot to mention fucking being Resurrected (or rather "resurrected" which I like better in this respect) by Cerberus.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think this stuff makes the story bad by default.
I mean, you kind of have to be someone kind of important in order for you to give you the freedom to make world altering choices.
You can't have a moral dilemma over the Krogan Genophage or Quarian/Geth conflict if you're some literal who space grunt.

Even Ryder has to become a pathfinder in order for him/her to be elevated in status enough to make important choices in the world.

Fuck ME3. I'm still bitter with how they made that entire fucking thing. Stupid as fuck and I'm not just talking about the ending.

this is why you dont write videogames

Don't forget that he's a rookie on top of that.

>Renegade choice: I still have nightmares about that, so what?
>BAAAAAAAW WHY WOULD SHEPARD HAVE NIGHTMARES IN THE ME3 IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE ESPECIALLY FOR THE RENEGADE BECAUSE SHEPARD WAS SO COOL IN TH ME2
Just fuck off
It was poorly done, but shepard finally breaking up wasn't asspull at all

With the trainwreck that is MEA, I've been thinking about replaying the original trilogy (or maybe up till ME2), is there a mod that allows unrestricted armor for ME1? I want to play either Vanguard or Adept but I want to wear the heavy armor. Light armor looks like a fucking pajama.

The fact that the kid just so happened to be the model for the Starchild isn't suspicious at all.

> I didn't play the game

why does this screenshot of an old game look better than one in the same series that just got released this month?

The problem isn't that he breaks, but that he obsesses over some kid he doesn't even know rather than any of the people he had an actual connection to.

>I've been thinking about replaying the original trilogy
You will drop after reaching second game
People can praise "muh squad" and "muh gameplay" but it feels like a fucking downgrade in every possible way
Tried to replay series few times

But that's wrong, people everywhere recognize Shepard from the beginning. Hell, Conrad asks for your autograph because you're such a cool person.

Sheppard is almost a realistic military type that gets no respect.

Ryder is a retard that somehow attains legendary position by no merit of his own.

It's obvious Ryder is the Mary Sue.

From a gameplay standpoint, yes.
From a story standpoint, no.

On this note, so is the Andromeda initiative secretly a Cerberus project or what?
Like how the fuck were they allowed to Create, Implement, and send into space with these chuckle fucks a god-damn AI.
Like, that shit was Illegal as fuck in Council space during the time when they were supposed to have left.
The place AI shit was legal was on Noveria and Illium because libertarian paradise

I want to believe.

ME very often had on-point lighting, in andromeda shit is often overexposed to light.

>whoops he's dead guess I'll step up and pick up where he left off.
More like whoops I've been CHOSEN to step up and be given space AI magic.

youre an utter moron

the starchild looked like that because it was taking a form important to shepard

my god the level of intelligence on this board is incredible

>You can't have a moral dilemma over the Krogan Genophage or Quarian/Geth conflict if you're some literal who space grunt.

It may go against the nature of the Fantasy and Space opera genres but i wish Bioware went with a lower stakes conflict or dilemma for the protaganist to solve that isnt a battle for all existence

Why didn't Alec just keep switching the helmet back and forth with his kid so they could both take turns breathing?

Shepard having PTSD is good. That PTSD being caused by seeing a shuttle with a kid in it get blown up several blocks away isn't. It makes it even worse that that shit keeps on haunting him so much afterwards. I wouldn't have minded if you were tasked with protecting those civilians and the shuttle blows up then, at least he's involved in it and close enough to have that shit affect him.

Replayed it already last year, though I didn't finish it due to Witcher 3 expansions dropping. Shit was still fun but yeah, it's a lot rougher than I remembered. Plus, it doesn't play nice with W10 either.

I didn't progress very far in the game but the explanation so far simply seems to be that the founder lady paid off the authorities

>a form important to shepard
That kid sure as fuck wasn't important in any way.

I pick this every time. It's honesltly the best, with Shepard's mom and everything.

The narration made him to be important
How dense are you

If they gave him PTSD based on characters we actually give a fuck about, that would have been different. This sudden connection with the child is only something Shepard can know. Why would we give a shit about some forced character. The child has all of three minutes screen time before he prompts the PTSD in Shep

Shitty writing tried to make him important, that's true.

it obviously was, because it impacted shepard enough to cause him to have ptsd nightmares about it. it was his breaking point

you have the narrative understanding of a goldfish

Why weren't the helmet visors made of hard light

Not from the entire universe, no. But he was just a human hero before the first two games. Even after the Sovereign attack, people still underestimated the Reapers.

The ultimate flaw in the plot I find is that the events of ME3, gathering allies, should have been Mass Effect 2. Instead, ME2 wrote itself into its own isolated hole, because they wanted to milk the series. They never gave one fuck about the potential, other than the potential for money.

Closest they've come is ME2 (fate of a few hundred thousand, rather than trillions) and DA2 (fate of one city).

>three minutes
That's way too much, no way was it that long.
Or maybe the narrative is incomprehensibly bad.

I'm sure Bioware is hiring

It's several years too late to fix anything though.

>defending biowares shitty writing

what's next, apologizing for le badass mail sending cyberninja?

Kai Leng served a super-duper important purpose in the story and you're too dumb to get it!

What I don't get, is if the Andromeda Initiative left before the Reaper invasion started, why didn't they tow a mass relay to Andromeda to enable instant travel between them? Or at least, why didn't they have a quantum entanglement device so that the Andromeda Initiative could contact the Milky Way to at least check in with them.

And why did they pick a cluster with so many "golden worlds"? If I was in charge of the Andromeda Initiative, I'd think that a cluster with a ton of habitable planets = signs of terraforming by an intelligent species = they could potentially be hostile and not want newcomers taking over their space. And why the hell didn't they periodically stop the FTL travel of the arcs to re scan the planets? They could periodically get more up to date info on the planets, and decide to change course if they wanted to.

>Or maybe the narrative is incomprehensibly bad.

the kid was a symbol of everything happening up to that point. he was an innocent child vaporized by an unimaginably powerful alien monstrosity for no reason other than being alive. shepard sees this and it hits him how senseless all this destruction is, and how many lives rest on his shoulders. it affects him deeply and he has nightmares about it

you cant criticize bioware for ''shitty writing'' when you can even comprehend the most blatantly obvious narrative points they make. you are officially less intelligent than they are

I think a plot that follows a bounty hunter character going around in both Alliance and Terminus systems to catch his quarry would have been great. Following clues, bribing or intimidating the proper people in order to get what you want be it information, help or getting away with shit, going up against crime bosses and CSEC in some of your bounties and you decide how it turns out, being able to bring your bounty in either dead or alive, depending on how you handle things. Spending money and resources on upgrading your ship that serves as your home base, unlocking more vendors, weapons, equipment and support for your missions.

The plot would be about stumbling into some top secret shit a nu-Cerberus or even Alliance is experimenting with, maybe something to do with Reaper tech that they salvaged but nothing like 'reawakening the Reapers' shit.

I can criticize Bioware for shitty writing when their writing is shitty, which it obviously is. Your attempts at defending it remind me of people on Sup Forums defending Batman v Superman by saying it has symbolism in it.
IT'S STILL SHIT.