Game is pretty good

>game is pretty good
>if you criticize the poorly implemented durability system people actually lose their shit

what is so good about it? it's not as if good weapons are hard to find. the game makes a point to flood you with good gear as soon as you leave the plateau.

it doesn't "keep combat fresh" or whatever this meme is because there are only 3 primary types of weapons and a very select few niche swords that act like rods/boomerangs.

i have reached the point where i don't even bother going through the effort of dropping shit in my inventory to make room for the shrine chest rewards since they're usually barely better or worse than my gear and will just break anyway.

this system only exists to make you swap through the little equipment menu every minute of combat.

this was implemented horribly and i hope the DLC reworks it to actually be a meaningful mechanic.

Other urls found in this thread:

boards.fireden.net/v/thread/371174703/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

This is now a Zelda thread

how about we make it a thread where we discuss the controversial durability system while also posting pictures of zelda

I can't get over Zelda's horrible wannabe-Brit voice. Purah and the Gerudo women make me smile, and Zelda's brows are cute as fuck, but that goddamn voice.

I think it's a hate it or love it thing. Personally, I enjoy it. They had to encourage the player to try new weapons somehow, but it probably wasn't done perfectly. It wasn't enough to piss me off or annoy me, but I guess others hate it.

Idk I think people bitch about it too much. I've never lost a fight because of it.

>i hope the DLC reworks it to actually be a meaningful mechanic

You know that isn't going to happen

Durability exists so any power boost away from the natural power curve is only temporary, it allows for a completely open world without hard level caps, stats or areas that are blocked off.

When Sterling has to pre-break all the weapons before making a video shitting on durability, you know you're in bad company.

>Poorly implemented

But it's not. You people don't seem to get this, however, which is why we will continue to have these threads until the next Zelda. Because you need some scapegoat to bitch about.

Urbosa>Zelda.

It's not about keeping combat fresh, though that's a bonus. It means that when you find a good weapon you've already found before, it's usable rather than worthless garbage. A very important trait for a game designed around exploration to have.

>Poorly implimented
Literally couldn't haven been implimented any better the fuck you on about. Its damn near seamless with the core gameplay, especially if you get more weapon bag slots and aren't autistic enough to bother opening every chest by throwing away another weapon because you don't want to leave any chest un-opened.

>When Sterling has to pre-break all the weapons before making a video shitting on durability, you know you're in bad company.
>When Sterling

The same man who complained about Nintendo putting a Zelda ad in his videos (because he wants to be ad free and get no money, sure,) and then told people to shoplift?

if you want a zelda thread don't be a faggot OP. there's already a zelda thread up, if you're looking for a hugbox to agree with you on the durability system totally making BotW unplayable you may want to try jim "the cuck" quistions forums.

I don't think the durability is good or bad, it just is. Doesn't feel intrusive to me, but it doesn't feel like it adds anything either. Wouldn't really give a shit if they gutted it or left it as is, if they made it meaningful in a way that felt good that'd be nice but I'd rather not risk making it into something that felt outright intrusive.

>But it's not
Elaborate why it isn't then.

>playing in English

I told you all to learn moon 10 years ago, but you wouldn't listen.

I think the fact that the problem goes away after a few hours of play is what gets people ruled up. I hadn't had an issue with durability after a few hours of game time.

Its like, just play it some more or drop the game if it's that big a deal.

>I lost the Hylian Shield during the battle with Thunderblight Ganon, he made me drop it and I forgot to pick it back up
>Stuck with shitty knight's shield, haven't got that special town to the point where I can re-buy it

This fucking sucks. My good shield is up a robot camel's asshole forever.

The very same. Also the same man who came over his own face and posted a picture on twitter to prove he won an internet argument. This is who you agree with when you shit on durability.

Zelda is a cute tsundere

I don't mind it existing, I just think it should be tweaked so that good weapons are less common but last longer. And reduce generic enemy health pools so that it doesn't take fucking forever to kill the black/silver tier ones with weaker weapons. That way there would actually be some management in whether you used a good weapon from your stash or tried to save it by using rusty/boko shit lying around.

But in general its fine as an idea since it means that there's actually a purpose for all the weapon drops in the game and it adds a small amount of resource management and incentive to play creatively/intelligently.

>and aren't autistic enough to bother opening every chest by throwing away another weapon because you don't want to leave any chest un-opened.

I can't help it. I just can't leave a chest behind.

>The "Talking to Voe" classes
>The one Gerudo who thinks you should kill your way to a romance
>That one Gerudo who is practicing pick-up lines on a dummy man

Are the Gerudos just the best fucking race ever, or what?

When I had 3 hearts and 1 stamina extension, I went to a Major Test Of Strength around the Hateno area.
Took me 10 tries and broke almost every weapon, but had a good handle on perfect shielding.

Got a 60 damage axe, 40 damage sword, and a shield. They lasted me a few fights with Lynels until they broke, and by that time I had equipment much better than what I had before the shrine, but not as good as the rewards from said shrine.

The durability system is a way to make the world open-ended sure, but it's also to allow pseudo-leveling up, too.

So how much of Breath of the Wild was censored by NoA.

There are many ways to provoke constant weapon swapping in an open world game and Nintendo chose the laziest one

This plus it destroys the skinner box because any reward you get is only temporary, making you seek enjoyment another way, plus it makes, and forgive me for the buzzword, the game more 'dynamic'

The durability system is okay. I don't really love it, but after getting my inventory slots up and learning where all my favorite goodies spawn for stockpile, I can certainly deal with it. The Master Sword and few repairable weapons make it all the more bearable I guess.

I get that if weapons didn't break, the highest-tier weapons of their type would be the only things used by players so there would be no point to other weapons being in the game. Durability also gives certain weapons another modifier by which to distinguish themselves and make the weapon feel unique in a game with like 3 admittedly barebones movesets. That said, I think if the player REALLY likes a certain weapon enough, be how it looks or what effects are tied to it, Nintendo should have allowed this: a one-time Biggoron's-style quest that allows you to make your single chosen weapon unbreakable. Done, the system is fixed.

Wait, seriously? This can't be true, how can someone be this retarded?

Me too, and I fucking hate it.

>Chest
>It's a hero's bow!
>I have 4 of them
>Drop 1, open chest
>I have 4 of them!

I can't let the chest just sit there.

>your point is moot because some obese trenchcoat genderfluid sony shill also agrees
why don't you actually offer any counterarguments instead of falling back on "muh jim's a cuck" or "you've never played it" or "you're wrong but i'm not going to tell you why"

if you want to invalidate someone's points on the basis of who agrees with them then why should i listen you you durability apologists when le epick funny puppet man who shills for neo paper mario says this system is perfect?

You forgot the part where you listed examples.

Not only do you have to go there, you have to do side quests before the guy who sells them shows up there. I did about 4 before I said fuck it and beat the game.

the switch version censors the Jap dub

I don't think we have any way of knowing now since you can make the game Japanese with a simple region change. No one's going to bother to pick through it now.

Was there anything to even censor?

I know Purah didn't say "Snappity snap!" in Japanese for sure, because it's fucking stupid.

>Shills for neo-Paper Mario

Pretty sure he hates the fuck out of Color Splash. Also feel free to call my idea shit

the entire jap dub is locked

i agree with you on basically everything.
I like to add that if they go for a masterpiece they would go for enemy variety,weaknesses and move sets that make you switch weapons and not a bad durability system that punishes you for using weapons.

This again, OP?
boards.fireden.net/v/thread/371174703/

I kind of agree with you. I don't find it bad at all, but that's because you're constantly finding weapons so it feels a little pointless. I do however think the people complaining about it are turboautists that get too attached to their cool epic fireblade.

the emulator is
>ALMOST HERE
>L
>M
>O
>S
>T

Oh I know, I'm at the point where he wants 30 piles of wood and I'm just not fucking bored enough to spend the time.

what sort of censorship

You've been told a million times by a million different people why durability is an absolute requirement for the open world Nintendo wanted to make.

Can't you just go to the Staalnox room again after a bloodmoon and get another?

>Didn't finish Tarrey town
Hudson is going to die alone and it's all your fault.

On top of the whole "keeping things fresh" (which it does), it's a balancing mechanic.

Thanks to that, there doesn't have to be level requirement, a freshly started Link can pick up a dragonbone mace if he so desires - but he won't cheese the game with it because that weapon will break eventually.

That also means the game can come up with really powerful weapons without worrying about them being OP or making other weapons obsolete, since they won't last either.

And you can't cheese powerful foes by abusing a weapon they're powerless against (say Nintendo didn't realize a monster can't really counter a spear's charged atttack or to throwing weapons) unless you prepared a shitton of them and turn it into a strategy.

It's essential to how the weapon loot system works.
If you want an example of a game that suffers from a lack of durability system, see Fallout 4.

50 hours in, and I just run from everything now, there's absolutely no good reason to waste my good weapons, on whatever shitty, inferior weapon enemy mobs usually carry, I don't even go into the starting areas anymore, since I know I'll just end up with some trash wooden club. Absolute dogshit system, any other developer would be getting shit on over this constantly, but because it's Nintendo we have to pretend that it "adds so much depth" to its simplistic, uninteresting combat system. With that said, don't waste your time, Nintendogaf will never admit that this game has any shortcomings.

Only problem I've had so far are arrows seem oddly rare to me. I'm not sure how to explain it, but I always seem to be coming up short on them.

SON OF A BITCH I HAVE NEVER ONCE THOUGHT OF DOING THIS.

Thank you, user. I'm heading there right now.

underrated post

I got him a Gerudo waifu to fuck every day, why does he fucking need anything else?

Yeah. I REALLY enjoyed BotW, but it's not perfect, and it annoys me that there's these people who don't realize that there are some tweaks that could be made that would actually make it worthy of the score it has on metacritic.

Double the number of "dungeons." Make them bigger. Tweak the weapon durability. Lock down Ganaon's castle until you get at least 4/8 dungeons beaten. Stop locking shit behind amiibos. Make side quests have a little side story, like NieR (the original - haven't played Automata yet).

Most of what I listed was very small stuff that would have made it worthy of the rating it gets, in my mind.

Game should have made the champion weapons and master sword unbreakable.

You would then have an arsenal of familiar weapons of every type while also having expendable shit for lulz and element weakness.

he hardcore shills for just about any nintendo game ever made and the paper mario video where he defends it disgusted me.

that being said, your idea isn't too far off from what i would've liked. part of the main problem with botw is the fact that the sidequest system was such a missed opportunity considering how few meaningful ones they were. the ones that reward you with weapons are just a waste of time since weapons are worthless and most of the rest just reward you with rupees. i would have loved to see something like the biggoron sword quest. maybe a quest that would unlock a goron blacksmith who could temper your weapons to make them last for more than 40 seconds of combat at a time or perhaps repair them.

Souls series, the hallmark of weapon balance.

>Lock down Ganaon's castle until you get at least 4/8 dungeons beaten

fuck off

Because when puppet man says something he must always be right and we have to agree with him?
No, he only tells us from his perspective and we don't have to agree with him at all

>Double the number of "dungeons." Make them bigger.
Fuck that shit, the camel's constant spinning-makes-everything-a-puzzle alone was enough to cause a headache.

Unless we're talking about the literal tutorial plateau, enemy groups usually carry at least one decent weapon (dragonbone, tri-forked boomerang...)
Besides, you can spare two or three slots of your weapon inventory for expendable weapons like Royal or Dragonbone gear you find everywhere.

I gotchu senpai.

who else everything by foot here?

I think the Master Sword is, it just eventually can't be used for 10 minutes once you use it on normal enemies a few times.

Which I don't fucking get, the thing has 30 power and it's made to counter bosses. Not like it's fucking 80 or some shit. Why you can't use it against anything else besides "we want to make it special" is stupid.

Enemies scale so you're full of shit.

I only encounter white, black and MAYBE some blue niggers now

yeah but you also got as answer back a trillion times that it would be much MUCH better to design actual good enemies that MAKE you switch weapons instead of a durability system that punishes you for using weapons and makes you swap this way... But funnily enough you people keep ignoring this answer even after telling you this for a trillion times at least.

It took me like 15 minutes to solve everything. It wasn't that hard, considering they lit up the electric lines.

That said, that was the only dungeon with literally any challenge to it.

Yeah, I meant no cooldown bullshit. It's basically durability.

The 30 power is what throws me off, too. That's I go back to no cooldown, or at least buff the damage.

Have you done at least one Divine beast yet?
Stronger enemies spawn as you unfuck the beasts. White bokoblins are tanks but drop gems.
Decent royal weapon and some power boosting food makes them short work andnyou don't waste much durability on anything.

Great argument against having to beat half the dungeons in the game first.

Post Zelda

>Thanks to that, there doesn't have to be level requirement, a freshly started Link can pick up a dragonbone mace if he so desires
A freshly started Link can go and kill Ganon if he so desires. The entire basis of the game was "do whatever you want in a nonlinear approach". If you are skilled enough, you can just go to Hyrule castle and stockpile great gear as soon as you leave the plateau and steamroll through most of the content for a while.

A good plan to kill guardians, please?

I know there was one tower that had tons of them around it, but I just flew to it from a higher point and they didn't see me.

It's a pain in the ass to suddenly get stopped by a huge-ass laser and then get sent back the whole region because I didn't save and the auto save didn't kick in fast enough.

Are the ancient arrows all that good?

>Are the ancient arrows all that good?
They can one-shot them if you hit em in the eye.

But really. You should learn to parry.

I'll post the best one just for you.

This is wrong. High level weapons make the blight Ganon fights hilariously easy.

The master sword, which you can very easily get before beating one beast, makes mince meat of all the blight Ganon forms as well.

I really like the durability actually. in other games one of two things happens to me: either I run around with the same weapon all game, or I strictly run around with the bigger statstick. both are boring. durability is a natural mechanic that shoehorns me into enjoying different weapon playstyles and not being op or UP for too long because it forces me to engage with new weapons.

Link > Garuda > Birdy > Fishy > Every Girls Else > Zelda

Zelda : Most ugly girl in the game.

Are boomerangs worth using? I feel like I might as well just use my bow with its slow-mo head shots and different arrow types.

If you're not around anything, sure.

Ancient arrows kill them immediately. Early on I got good at parrying their lasers, takes anywhere from 1-3 parries to kill a guardian depending on if they're stuck in the ground or not. Helps that the FIRST thing I did after getting off the plateau was getting the Hylian Shield from the castle.

Additionally, I recommend you seek out the Master Sword and Stasis+. With all three in your arsenal, guardians will never EVER be a problem again. Don't forget you can cut off their legs, which disrupts their targeting.

By the time you get to the spiked lazlfos ones that are actually halfway decent, it hardly even makes sense to use them because you'll find 3 amazing bows that fire 3 arrows at a time for every one boomerang you find. Unless you are really short on arrows the bow is almost always a superior choice.

Not the same guy, but you need to reread the stream of posts again. You're being a retard.

Shield parry. Either upclose, press a when the blue smoke shoots out from the eye, or from afar so you can have a few seconds to prepare a parry.

I just got the Master Sword today. I got too excited and bought the skeleton-looking clothes from the Gerudo lady before realizing they're shit.

What clothing in this game isn't shit? I have the climbing bandana but don't you need the other pieces to make it worthwhile? The Wind Waker hat doesn't have anything good to it either.

I don't get it. This game got near-perfect review scores, and you faggots STILL complain about the silliest shit game. You guys are just never happy, are you?

The Ancient armor you buy from Akkala Ancient Lab

Oh, you're right, I am.

Fuck.

Weird it's almost like Sup Forums is notorious for hating games

Post more Zelink

Post Paya.

You can wear any clothing you want to and beef up its defense like mad so just go for style unless you're really out for interesting bonuses.

I'm trying to collect every hero's tunic and was disappointed that they all share the same worthless set bonus: Master Sword Beam Up.