Fiddle with credit card info

>fiddle with credit card info
>buy and download
>install process
>post install install process
>day one patch install process
>potentially account fiddling

What happened with "put the disc in and play"?
The only edge consoles ever had on PC were cost and convinced, and the convenience aspect seems to be gone.
Fucking Steam does digital distribution more conveniently than any console market.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/8lctkgyVtao?t=45s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>fiddle
>credit card info

well you've already proven you're a retard who can't put in some basic numbers

>put in disc
>have to do install
>have to install day 1 patch

This didn't use to be the case, kiddie. Thats the whole point.
Once upon a time you didn't need to install or patch shit.

>using your credit card to buy things on PSN

Boi ya dun fucked up

For starters if you want "put the disc in and play" why do you buy digital and not physical?

If older consoles could do day one patches easily they would have.

>buy digital game
>"what happened with put in the disc and play"?
serious question, are you somehow mentally disabled?

Complaining about installation on consoles is the most inane fucking meme. If this was not necessary, then that would mean games would still have to be designed around the constraints of running off shitty slow-ass optical media, and you would be complaining about that instead as another reason consoles hold back the industry.

The complaint is that one of the two advantages console gaming had over PC - cost and convenience, is not gone.
Playing games on console is no longer more convenient than playing games on PC. It has literally become a case of consoles being budget PCs. You only play on console instead of PC to save money.

I think OP means that once he downloads the game he shouldn't have to go through numerous install screens for shit like patches

Well you don't need to install steam to download and play games on consoles so there's still advantage.

im sure if we went back to "once upon a time" when games were 500 mb or less of data that could have a fuck up, we wouldnt be having this problem.

but now games are 80 gb, thats a fuck tone of potential problems

>brother has an XBOne
>has a dozen or so games
>all he ever plays is FIFA
>throw in Halo: MCC
>needs to download like 20gb
>throw in BlOps 2 or 3 or something
>needs to install a patch
>ask what he's played recently
>FIFA today, BlOps last week
>mfw it doesn't even end

>numerous
>1

oh sooo maaaaaany

throttled download speeds are worse

On paper there's not really much difference, so it's largely down to your own situation. For me it's more convenient to play on my PC because I spend more time on it and prefer it as a gaming platform, but that won't be the case for many others.

Consoles still have their own exclusives and the benefit of a single optimised platform. PS4 Pro and Scorpio are muddying this slightly, but that's obviously not comparable to the breadth of PC configurations.

COD games are horrendous for this shit. there is an update a week

If this continues in the next console gen, I'm going PC only. Might as well have more power if I'm going to fuck around installing and patching.

Remember "LOLZ XBOX IS JUST A PC IN A BOX! NOT REAL CONSOLE"

>but now games are 80 gb, thats a fuck tone of potential problems
You realize that 78 of that 80 GB are graphic and audio assests?
Actual code doesn't take that much more space compared to the past.
Most games haven't gotten substantially bigger in terms of content.

I admit its not as convenient as it used to be (PS3 was the last console to even remotely achieve that, in my opinion), but I will say that so long as you're willing to plan ahead, it's never that bad. Standby mode allows the patches to be installed without you turning on the system, so after the initial pain in the ass of waiting for the disk install/day 1 patch, it's really not that bad.

As for "buying" stuff, I use the PS app on my phone.

Games also shipped with very many known and discovered bugs with no hope of fixing them.

your gonna need to cite that cause im calling bullshit.

all well and good but having like 15 games installed and having auto update turned on with a metered internet connection (which most seem to be these days) is a recepie for disaster

Meh. Mine's just slow. I wouldn't be willing to pay for metered internet. I would sooner pay for unlimited 4G through verizon and just use my phone as a hotspot.

oh i have a favourite example
>artonelico 2 for the ps2
>second to last boss
>if the boss uses a certain attack it freezes the game
>boss ALWAYS uses attack on the 3rd turn
>must deal 7 million damage before the end of the second turn

it wasnt that hard if you knew what you were doing but still

I'm pretty sure it updating in order, not all at the same time.

Common sense? Code is text, visual and audio assets are much more memory intensive.

no choice here m8. we have 2 in home providers, both with metered connections and all the mobile carriers are unreliable trash that couldnt even load a webm half the time

That argument makes absolutely no sense in relation to what was said. A metered connection is a data cap.

Not him but that's common knowledge
Do you know how tiny code is in comparison to audiovisual content? One gb of code would be a hilarious fuckton already, while on gb of a FLAC soundfile is about nothing

I've got decent signal, but it's still cheaper for me to pay the 45/month for 9mbit/second speed.

That was NISAs fault. The fucking translation team put a very bad bug in the game.
They also fucked up the translation.

so you were full of shit.

>buy Switch and Zelda
>Put cartridge in console
>It just werks

im well aware of the reasons and aware of the horrendous translation. but it will never be as bad as the original SAO hollow fragment original translation on the vita.

this
you can finish zelda in 15 minutes because of all the glitches or gta san andreas glitch where you're randomly falling through the floor into the matrix

No, I am a programmer and know basic software 101.
Even for a website, the code part is negligible, and the visual assets make up the bulk of the size (or the raw database, if you have a huge one, but vidya won't).

True, i could not even finish that game.

>9mbit/second
eww. i may have a meter but i do get at least 25mbps

>I don't know shit about anything and think that gamers are 70 gb of actual code
>I'll still call out others, though
Classic
Try googling my ignorant friend

>put Zelda disc in wii u
>needs to download 2 extra GBs for some reason

>No, I am a programmer
>cant even cite some evidence

sure

Doesn't fucking matter. If you give devs a way to rush something out to get your money, then fix it later, you're setting a precedent that'll possible fuck vidya over indefinitely. Don't forgive them; they wouldn't forgive you. Bullshit like this always gets coaxed in with nice, pleasant reasons:

DLC: imagine, you get the full game, plus more if you want!
Microtransactions: getting bored? Well, we'll continue to add cheap new content to for years and years. It'll never get stale!
Season passes: tired of all that slowly delivered, overpriced DLC? Guess what? You can still get all of it, but for a discounted price! Just buy a pass now. Don't worry about what you're actually getting. Give money now.

When devs couldn't fix glitches it added incentive to not fuck up their reputation by doing it again, because they'd get a rep for broken games.

>Try googling my ignorant friend

see burden of proof in pic

I used to live in an area where I got unlimited bandwidth at 30mb/sec for 30 bucks.

Still, it's good enough for streaming and downloading shit, and I've never gotten a copywrite notice/strike, despite pirating tons of movies/shows every month.

It is self evident. You won't find books written about how text takes up less storage space than images, because it is a basic concept that everyone is aware of.

t. assblasted autist

youtu.be/8lctkgyVtao?t=45s
Here's a video game made only with code, all the art is made from math. It's 100kb

>It is self evident.

it clearly isnt if there are no books on the subject as you claim

>see anecdotal in the pic here

You are a fucking idiot but I have something for you after all
One million lines of 'user is a faggot'
Checks out at less than 2 mb

i cant read nazi, try a real language so i can make sure its right

ill accept this as evidence, also it looks identical to turok for the n64. how fucking tiny must that game have been

I hope you're not implying that games were less buggy back before patxhes, because that is a straight up lie. Tons of broken ass shit from big devs would still come out. And the only way devs could fix bugs was to rerelease the game with an updated version on the disc. Turok rage wars did this, gta sa had an updated version release, a lot of DS games like Super mario 64DS released v1.1 versions that just fixed bugs. Sounds to me like you werent old enough to play games back then, so you just blame it all on the dlc boogeyman

>Denying the language of the master race
In to the oven with you kike.

>fiddle with credit card info
You enter it once and it works fine. What are you, changing your card every goddamn week?
>buy and download
Literally click a button, stop being so desperate to add steps.
>install process
>post install install process
>needing to install downloaded games
Come on user. Unless you're referring to the download time itself but for most people that's less than driving to the store and buying the game anyway.
>day one patch install process
This is the only 'valid' complaint, but is ridiculously minor and got nothing to do with digital vs physical distribution.
>potentially account fiddling
Like fucking what? You're so goddamn vague because you know you don't have shit. It's like you had an EPIC idea for a cool thread that'd get you lots of replies, but promptly realized you were complaining about fucking nothing when you tried to make a list and had absolutely nothing.

There's nothing wrong with digital distribution. You're complaining about the most absolute minor of inconviences you lazy, worthless waste of space.

>The only edge consoles ever had on PC were cost and convinced
They haven't had a cost advantage in almost two decades now and it's only ever been more convenient if you're a mouth breathing retard that thinks clicking a button and have everything do itself for you is hard, which evidently you fucking are.

Kill yourself.

>12 minutes to download 4.5 gb

the absolute state of sony. they had shit servers back in the ps3 days and it's still the same now. at least on steam you can download shit at over 200mb/s.

You see user, you call for proof when it's something that is not common knowledge for anyone with even the tiniest passing knowledge of the subject
For example, I don't call source on you being able to stuff two dozen nigger dicks down your throat at once, because I know it to be a simple fact that everyone who has met you for a second will know about
You have subzero knowledge of the subject, considering you actually think raw code can hold a candle to audiovisual content in terms of size, and yet you have the audacity to call for source like it's some obscure knowledge
You are calling for proof that you hit the tennis ball with the wide end of the racket
That just makes you a screeching retard throwing around shit hoping to get noticed and we can all collectively ignore your stupid ass and not lose out on anything at all
This board has spent way too long enabling retards to throw their shit around without even the tiniest sliver of doing any research on their own, and now your kind is commonplace
Kindly fuck off and l2google

steam and xbox*

>user slowly realizing he's retarded after an entire thread calls him an idiot, and tries to drift to "I was only pretending to be retarded" slowly so nobody would notice

lmao, kill yourself

>What happened with "put the disc in and play"?
Well first of all you should buy the game on disc

>buy game on disc
>long install wait
>long post install install wait
>long post install install patch wait
>long connecting your third party account to the game key wait

Congratulations, you can now enjoy your game, and its only been a dozen hours!

>buy digital
>HURRR WHY CAN'T I JUST INSERT DISC AND GO
fucking retard

You're literally retarded.

Just the other day I went to gamestop, bought Nier: Automata, came home and stuck it in the PS4 then started playing it. Real easy.

if you bought it on disc why did you need to put in your credit card info?

Anyway, if the game is installed you don't need to wait for the patch to play it. You can launch it without the patch installed and let it download while you play.

You're an idiot OP you can still put in the disc and play. You don't even have to go online.

>you can still put in the disc and play. You don't even have to go online.
>the game is buggy as fuck and requires a day 1 patch to play it properly

That's PS4 though IDK how xbox does it.

>Puts in Tony hawk
>offline no internet
>it only has the tutorial level on the disk
It's true look it up.

PC games have been doing this since forever.

I remember playing WC3 and having to install that shit so many times.

glad I could make it tou.

I did the same thing on Monday, yet I had to wait until a 3-gig update was downloaded. That probably has more to do with my garbage wireless network though.

So turn auto update OFF?

It's not rocket science. I think you can even do it by game. And here is a tip: never buy games on release. Wait 6 months, all the patches will be out.

Huh, I thought PCfriends were of superior intellect?
So why is that whenever they make a thread like this it's obvious they have been living under a rock for a literal decade and just sound stupid?

This. I miss being able to buy a game and put it in my console just to play it immediately and if there was an update, the disc came with a console update built in so it was ready to play it. Now, you buy a game day 1, you download the disc content to the console, you start up the game and then there's a day 1 patch and then you finally get to play the game. Come back a day later and there's another patch.

If I had internet as fast as OP's, I wouldn't care but 5gb takes me like a damn hour to download.

OP is an exaggerating faggot but as someone who just bought a PS4 a couple of months ago I have to say it was pretty jarring how it demands all this setup and information right out the gate. You can bet everything you do is datamined to hell.

>yfw you realize the reason all games have horrible game-breaking bugs that require patches to fix is so you're forced to participate in the NSA's mass surveillance program

>What happened with "put the disc in and play"?
Still there, just don't install any updates and launch the game from the get-go retard.

No multiplayer options or bug fixes though, so entirely up to you.

of fucking course its a Sup Forumstard being retarded. Why did I even think otherwise

>drop credit card in the street
>car stolen
>razor blade package cuts my fingers
>put in disc
>game corrupted my memory card

What happened with "put the disc in and play"?

>You can bet everything you do is datamined to hell

As opposed to Steam?

>Buy console
>Get game a full month earlier in english
>get a sick comfy dynamic theme too

vs

>Buy PC
>Need to wait a month and get spoiled 5 times
>Get shitty random bugs and glitches on launch that ruin the experience despite owning a much more powerful machine and only find different fixes for different problems after hours of forum-searching and days of waiting, all the while I post thread after thread on Sup Forums complaining about it

Gotta go Nintendo if you don't want this "shit" then

Fucking Keked you god damn bastard HAHAHAHAHAHA.

>Not using loadable credit cards

Ya dun fucked up boi.

>lmao

angry as fuck

>Playing games on console is no longer more convenient than playing games on PC
But it is. I can walk into a store, buy a game disc for my console, and play. The "install" takes a few minutes and patches are just a fraction of the size of a full game. On a PC, the "physical" game is nothing but a code to download the full game 60 GB on Steam.

Downloads are slow as fuck on my Ps4 for some reason.