>nothing new

Is this genre dead?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=b5PmVTSlyZE
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Bump

Pretty much.
I think the biggest "recent" release was probably Grey Goo. Reviews seemed fairly positive. CnC-like.
Planetary Annihilation was also semi-recent, although it went through a long early access period and never really felt finished. Total Annihilation lineage.
Offworld Trading Company is a weird attempt at an Economic RTS - something new, although I never played it myself.
Dawn of War III is coming soon, so I guess they are kinda still making RTS games.

However, the a lot of the multiplayer audience has moved on to ARTS instead.

Old RTS games were already perfected back then, so there was no need for new games of the genre.

Far from failing, I'd say RTS got to a point where you don't really need new titles.

>Is this genre dead?
Yes. Since like a decade I guess. Since the release of Generals the only games that drew my attention were SupCom and new Starcraft.

Also anyone here actually bad at RTS but like to play them to build bases and treat the game like a digital version of toy soldiers in a sandbox?

>What happened to RTS games Sup Forums?

They're too hard. More accurately, their skill ceiling is high and you're more likely to run into really good players in matchmaking than you did in the past.

The majority don't give a fuck about practicing these games just to not get shit-stomped online.

i was looking forward to Generals 2 but

well you know

Coh2 patch soon.

Nope. It's on life support.

they're to video gamey:

>can't beat them in 2 hours
>not cinematic enough
>have to learn more than 3 buttons
>not enough grafix
>have to actually learn things instead press x to not die

They died by the same reason MMOs died: these games demands too much time. RTS matches can get pretty fucking long.

Not popular casually.
Competitively BTFO by mobas.

this
500times this

it also takes a long time before they're actually fun to play.

too much to learn before you know what the fuck you're doing

You can still make unique RTS games. Problem is that you need shitloads of dosh, a really good idea and time.

Anything good?

>take too long
>requires thinking
>requires you to look ahead 20 minutes ahead and plan against their plan that you believe they're going to do
>More than aiming and click or constant clicking and pressing a button
>not team based
The market doesn't want it. Plain and simple. Look at CoH or every Total War game that comes out. They're successful within the niche market, but that's about it. rmyt is the market really full of sheep or not

Why are you starting an RTS thread with a screenshot from a bad Red Alert 2 mod?

RTS was never good it. It became popular because it was a novelty and lost most of its notability as a genre after only a decade or so as people realized how little potential the fundamental idea had. Its only real legacy was spawning the MOBA genre which admittdedly is nothing like an RTS.

light vehicles cucked hard.
all round better balance changes like soviets getting Soft AT/wehr getting good medkits.

Oh and spacing is much better so you won't see lolwipes.

Are you uninformed or just baiting really hard? Total War makes cash and has been for decades. Otherwise Sega would axe them long time ago.

Yes, normal people are too retarded to play Hearts of Iron or Men of War. Doesnt mean you cant do a good strategy game. And as long as you implement a reasonable ranking system in the multiplayer, you can have that as well.

It's also literally PC only, scaring AAA devs away

You don't need a lot of money considering you're making a handful of tilesets and working off that. If multiple factions then you're making anywhere from 10-30 units per and triple that if you want variation then half or just about the same in buildings. Art assets is what shit up a project's budget.

It's just that you need a lot of time to balance things which goes against the interest of investors. Like a lot of time. Add more time.

Thanks pal

?? I said they're successful projects due to the niche market. I wasn't saying anything negative.

Halo Wars 2 is the biggest recent release, ain't good though.

If RTS was ever fun, it was when the genre was about fun single player campaigns more than the RTS mechanics themselves and the multiplayer was just a bonus on the side for fucking around with friends.

fokn AoE 2

This. I remember playing Age of mythology with my cousin when we were 10. It was cool as shit

>Offworld Trading Company
Damn it looks kinda cool. I'm looking at some reviews now but did someone play it ?

Ah yes the last time I played that was when oberkommando came out. What in gods name were they thinking with that balance. I watched a pro game soviet vs ober. The soviet played played near flawlessly but he couldnt beat the ober even though he made near countless mistakes.

obers vs soviets is a bad matchup that is full of butter and cheese.
unit veterancy itself is getting scaled better. Personally I am hyped about panzergrenadiers scaling better because their veterancy curve is linear.

It's 2complicated4thepeople

I like strategy genre, but RTS often put me back because handling both macro and micro at the same time is too hard for me. I get this is a mindset and a question of preferences, but I enjoy games like the total war series a lot more because the macro and micro are separate and work differently, and not at the same time. You go to battle with a set number of soldiers and you won't have to bother about developping a building while you're facing the opponent

Whats that rts where you can pick multiple races and the first mission is you in a cutscene dropping to the ground in a multi person container. I think it depends on who you pick but if I recall the cutscene is basically the same regardless but can't remember. Green holes like geysers in the ground were a resource. You could make rocket men and goliath looking walkers. I think literally every unit came out of your main base building. I forget what it was called. Was it even good?

How to learn this game. Bought it in sales and im failing even in the campaign.

Because every RTS is some sort of genre rebooting multiplayer focused game that then only sells to a niche market. Perhaps if we got more RTS games with strong single-player components we'd be all good.

At least AoE II and AoM are getting 'new' expansions. AoE IV when?

>What happened to RTS games Sup Forums?

They can't go against Starcraft 2 and public only looks to the biggest titles for state of the genre.

>Total War makes cash and has been for decades.

Yeah, because it's Total War and that's a particular blend of strategy elements. Don't conflate it with pure RTS or TBS.

It blows my mind AoE2 got new expansions.

> not team based

literally any rts game has team based maps as most popular mode of battle

confirmed for underage, sorry user

Company of Heroes is RPS-heavy and imbalanced garbage.

RTS is such a shit genre. It's game play is like if they made an FPS where you had to decide whether to use the right stick to look around or shoot your gun at any given time.

Basically, most of what said. There's really no standard for newcomers to latch to beyond the control scheme. It's not like play a modern TPS and they're essentially the same so you're familiar with it.

NEW CONSTRUCTIONS OPTIONS

>It's also literally PC only

Weeeeell...

yes, even starcraft players agree that the genre is dead
the good thing is, the genre has an overflow of great games you can play if you're into single player

You aren't looking hard enough

youtube.com/watch?v=b5PmVTSlyZE

looks awful

>World in Conflict 2 never

>W10 only
De fuck were they thinking

I still don't know if Generals 2 getting cancelled was the best thing to ever happen for that project.

>8-bit
>is 3D

>le RTS is dead meme
Just play all the hidden gems you never heard of. All I see what you people do is cirklejerking over the same mainstream games over and over again without digging deeper.
>muh CoH
>muh CnC
>muh DoW
>muh AoE
>muh SC
And that's it. You just scratch the surface and complain.

I think RTS is one of those genres where its really hard to improve it. Its reached its golden age quicker than any other genre

That being said, I'm more up for HD remakes

AoE2 HD is pretty neat, they just added south asian factions to them, and although the balance is questionable at times the devs are fairly communicative.

Forged Alliance is my favaorite girl of all time

CoH kind of jerks off to statistics and ignores the allies had generally superior numbers (and novel tactics)

Nazis tend to win a lot in CoH games because units and armour cost roughly the same for both sides, so axis can win through unit superiority. Plus some other weapons are superior, like the insanely wide arc on the machine guns.

Its actually pretty neat

There is a C&C clone, WC2 clone and a SC clone and you can mix and match

>Just play all the hidden gems you never heard of.
Like?

Deserts of Kharak? Its a solid game but the mechanics make me mad as fuck

Because you're basically just going with a different flavor after you've played the best genre has to offer. There's merit in that, but you're really just doing it for its own sake.

>this kills the Leopard

>CoH kind of jerks off to statistics and ignores the allies had generally superior numbers (and novel tactics)
They should add mechanical breakdown mechanics for German and Soviet tanks for more realism then.

>tomorrow is going to be the most important day of the year for RTS
what are your expectations?

What game? Call to Arms or Ass Squat 2 mod?

Does anyone care about SC2 anymore, though?

Wargame Red Dragon famalam

SC2 is too fast for my taste, if the game slowed down a bit and expanded on various strageties I'd be more interested

early WoL was fun as hell though

There's gonna be 1 too, with some hoping they announce SC1 HD because Blizzard ran out of copies on their store

They have the same issue as fighting games, there is a monumental wall to climb before "get better at your mechanics" isn't the solution to your problems against opponents and you're actually competent enough to have your own style and are able to make relevant tactical and strategic decisions. On the single player side other genres have gotten much better for telling stories, for example I don't think many people these days would be willing to take Starcraft 1's story seriously or see it as a reason to buy the game if it came out today, but stick it in some 3D action game like Ghost (rip) and it would be much more appealing to the masses, which is much easier to do now than it was in the 90's. Ultimately I think most people would much rather control one person on the ground than be the one telling everyone where to go but not fighting themselves, so RTS don't have nearly as much appeal anymore, and therefor aren't nearly as financially lucrative. Which is further exacerbated by being a pretty shit genre on consoles.

>no RA2 HD remake
J U S T

broodwar is too good and everyone is too scared to even try to top it because they know they'll fail, so the genre started and ended with it

>Forged Alliance is my favaorite girl of all time

i dunno, you tell me

>the intense amount of panic from NATOplebs when using these back when they were the only superheavy
>using them to bait people into doing dumb shit
Man Airland Battle era USSR was fun.

How's that game doing, anyway? Ever since /wgg/ died I've not really looked at it much

why does it oscillate so much?

Offworld Trading Company is nice

if you mean the big drops its new seasons, the ladder population gets reset

Because it has free will but chooses to oscillate.

>"is the game good again with the latest patch?"
>plays 5 games
>oh ok
>is the game good again?
>plays 5 games
>oh ok
repeat

Too repetitive, tedious, and inflexible after a while. The lack of variety and strategy led me to just drop the genre despite being in absolute love with it before.

I will now just dump random RTS titles that are relatively unknown.

mobas

That was exactly me until supcom. After going through every unit I started gitting gud.

>when you realise AAA gaming is dead and most indie games are shit and there are almost no mid-sized developers anymore

its a game about risk management.
everything doesn't have to be deterministic shit.

I would be guessing that those you reviewed the game have played the game, user.

>6th grader me
>get into matchamking
>blood pumps like a motherfucker just doing a basic terror-drone+engineers-in-a-flak-track rush
>fuck the ore miners and hijacking buildings
>win
>still feel like im gonna die

i cant handle even winning

I personally hate starcraft and especially its multiplayer.
i believe it's ruined the genre turning it into clickfest for autistic tryhards with little to no strategy involved.

A huge problem for me is that the games like cnc and all that fun classic rts doesn't run on newer windows version. I really wish they would just update the games to run. Fucking ea keeps repacking the classic rts like generals red alert, tiberium sun etc into a new box deal and they're literally doing nothing else except that.

Actually I'm developing a modern time RTS

This.

I bought that classic pack with every C&C and most of them don't work properly...

What a bunch of crooks.

>there are almost no mid-sized developers anymore
This is worrying

>clickfest
just click faster then bro

>what is CNCNET

>i believe it's ruined the genre turning it into clickfest for autistic tryhards
You can get very very far with not having high APM user

it just happens that the game is based on seconds from winning or getting killed

t. 1901 AoE2 HD player

>buildings on the road