Where do you guys think graphics will be in another 13 years?

Where do you guys think graphics will be in another 13 years?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/qCs0xxUS5as?t=24
youtube.com/watch?v=L2sCJpR3x8o
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I don't really care.

Oh...

Basically the same as it is now. We will have to wait a long while for another graphics jump.

I know exactly how graphics will be in Nintendo games for the next 13 years, and you do too user.

Why compare LOD model to a closeup? I hate cherrypicking

Why's that? Nvidia is looking at almost exponential growth.

a bit better than they are now

they aren't gonna be pushed much further because of diminishing returns, the amount of work it takes to make a game look better than it is now is disproportionate to how little change it makes

Resolutions and framerates will go up on average, and developers will be able to balance higher graphical fidelity with expanding other areas of development more easily, but realistically shit isn't gonna look THAT much better than TW3 in ten years

diminishing results.

Since fucking sniveling normies who make the bulk of buyers now have no sense of quality and literally no standards, I would say it won't make a huge jump as it did in the past.

See Andromeda as a latest example of that. Or Call of fucking Duty.

Diminishing returns.

Too much effort for not that much more profit, until it's not actually worth the effort.

Pretty much. Aside from the diminishing returns the bump to 4k resolution means that we'll need more power to render the same graphics that we already have now.

If anything I'm cherry picking the opposite way. These settings are on Medium

apparently quantum computers are coming out in 2017 and will be millions of times faster than current ones so who knows

>consoles won't have standard 1080p 60FPS games until YET ANOTHER GENERATION

LOL JUST THINK ABOUT IT

THEY HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL THE PS5 FOR THESE TYPES OF GAMES

NINTENDO FANS HAVE TO WAIT AT LEAST 3 MORE GENERATIONS BY THE PACE THEY'RE GOING LMAO

In a nutshell.

But won't algorithms make it a lot faster and easier? Kinda like how you can paint a detailed forest in the MGS:V engine in like 2 seconds.

not too much farther along unless we hit a technological breakthrough. we're plateauing here unlesss people come up with new tech or new ways of using current tech

I hope that we will have real-time path tracing by then. Lighting in most games today that dont use some pre-baked solution look like shit

Either the same or only bit better. I expect more advances in lighting and shadow effects and a greater number of hi-poly models viewable at any given moment, up to something like freely zooming in on a city-wide picture to see details of individual people.

Your shitpost aside, that's not how quantum computers work or even what they are for. If anything they're worse for videogames.

I seriously doubt it's that simple.

youtu.be/qCs0xxUS5as?t=24

sure the polycount for one model doesnt improve the visual quality, but if means if you continue to properly budget your pollies then you can have more models on the screen without drawbacks.

Only an idiot would think technology is the problem. The "plateau" we've hit has nothing to do with technology; it's purely an issue of artists and developers not being able to keep up and produce things at the current technology level.

why not a current level of grafix, but no loading in 10 years?

Game???

It's. Or GTA or mafia. That UI is so forgein to me but the game looks so familiar

It's still diminishing results. Look at DOOM vs Half Life 1. That's 4 years difference. Look at Half Life vs Half Life 2 or Doom 3. That's 6 year difference. Look at those VS Stalker or Crysis. That's 3 year difference. Now compare the best looking modern game you can find VS Crysis. Modern game will often look better of course, but it's a 10 year difference and it's far from doom vs half life vs doom 3 vs crysis. There will never be a big jump again because games look real already.

This has been shown to be utter bullocks multiple times over.

Never mind how fucking stupid it is using a just a low res, untextured model is for a demonstration of how processing power translates to graphical complexity and quality

watch doge two

The game looks familiar because it's just like every other shit open world game

I don't even know what game it is but I will bet my entire bank account it's a Ubisoft game

>listening to music while swimming
He's got some balls.

You're a retard. We are currently limited by hardware.
Movies can produce convincing CGI. We can't currently use movie-quality assets in games because we can't render that level of detail in real-time on modern hardware.

Unless you prefer playing games at 1 frame per 50 hours.

instead of more realism i really want them to try to achieve pixar levels of graphics and animation on an interactive level.
dont see that happening any time soon though.

That particular image - yes. But diminishing results is a real thing. If you add the same amoung of polygons and texture resolution to the new gman, you won't get that big of a jump. It would me a marginal improvement. To make more jumps you'd have to add a shit ton more, and then even more and more.

Nobody's says that there isn't a progression. The point is that's a slow process and the vast majority of the software house don't have the will or the budget to fully exploit the new hardware. There is also the problem of the support of old and entry level hardware to take in account.

Haha, you fucking called it.

High speed, real-time ray tracing when?

Eh I find it pretty fun. You can do a lot of neat stuff.

And yet technology keeps improving at a steady rate. Retards like you keep saying the same shit over and over like it's still 1992. Meanwhile the one thing that can't keep up are the people actually making games resulting in a large amount of backsliding in quality across the board.

To bad it runs like shit with slow ram

>Ryzenfag detected.

>no more studios will be able to use the fox engine
>no more good looking games at 60FPS on consoles and Toasters
Thats Konami's real Sin right there

Indie games will look like late ps1 titles instead of snes games

> I am too blind to notice the polygons in round shapes in most AA releases

How does it feel to have bad eyesight?

1000 times this
It would also make game design a lot easier, because you have less bullshit engine limitations and there's less need to downsize your sculpted models to fit a set amount of limitations.

GLOCKED

>dont see that happening any time soon though.

We're already fucking close in some respects, but no one is really pushing it.

Biggest hurdles are finding good real time solutions for hair, cloth, fluid and muscle sim systems as well as ray tracing....which will most likely filter down from our quest to achieve PHOTO REALZ

You know looking at this picture there is a noticeable difference between 6000 and 60000. But I also think that's what graphics are going to be from now on. Just polishing the details to make it look more real, there most likely won't be ablther WHOAOHSHIT jump in graphics just better attention to even the smallest details.

they'll be in the dumpster, with mobile games making up like 80% of the market revenue

That's not the reason why you epic retard. The reason why is because photorealism costs WAY too much money to make. It's not engine limitations, it's budget limitations.

Game design costs have ballooned from crysis on out. Funny that you mention crysis, because the bad ROI was the main reason why pc gaming moved from primary platform to tertiary bad port platform as the developers saw how useless best graphics were. But it's not your bullshit theory. Moore's law is stlil upheld, there's just no real reason to pool so much resources in an efficient engine becaseu you wont have enough people to fill it with textures and models

No shit tech is improving. I never said it wasn't. Moore's law is a thing for a fucking reason.
The guy who thought our tech is stagnating is a dumbass.

But you're even more of an idiot if you think we're limited by artists.
It's a trivial thing for professionals to produce extremely good looking models, sculpts in zbrush use millions of polygons, and you can texture them at whatever absurd resolution you want.
But rendering them in real-time in a game would be near impossible, which is why they compress textures and bake out normal maps to lower polygonal models for use in a game.
It's the reason why CG studios that work on movies and vfx have render farms. So they don't have to compress shit.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

>better hardware
>more polys per scene
It's simple. You know how often an artist wants to have that prop to have a few thousand polys, but simply cannot since it's just a can and at best it has a budget of

gotta get me a ps4, is that ratchet game good? should i get the pro ps4? i dont have and dont intend to buy a 4k tv.

Nigga I have an I7 2600

Crysis should not be taken into account as a median for games that came out 10 years ago. There's literally no other game from that year that came even close in terms of graphics.
Crysis was an isolated case of a game that was way beyond the supposed standard.

Since this protagonist seems to be listening to music at all times, does the game have a soundtrack playing all the time, unlike those open world games which insist upon ambient noise only?

Show me a single SNES game that looks like Half-Genie Hero or Hollow Knight.

Better but nothing important because it won't actually make the gameplay any better.

I hope so
Saints Row IV was a blast because you could play music everywhere and constantly

just pulled the trigger and got a 2nd hand ps3.

I took a plus 1 month for 1 euro sub and bought kz: shadowfall vor 8 euro, ratchet for 12 or something and infamous + exp for 15 euro, and UC for 18 euro. IT's tip top visuals. If you like visuals then it's really worth it.

I also own a game pc with a gtx 1060 but most games dont get the same attention in art design than exclusives for some reason.

you've got a phone and can turn on music on it whenever you want i'm pretty sure

Lighting will become better, better textures, more poly count, better fx yada yada. All these things can only carry games so much.

The thing we really need is better animation. Pixar movie tier animation when Sup Forums?

I want more real time damage models...

I want a game where one of the mechanics is grabbing your opponent's shirt, and if you slash at them with a knife down the middle, you can't get as good a grip on their shirt. fuckin cool

ikr, built a pc in hopes of great visuals and im all using it for is emulation and indies.
gonna invest some money into a 2nd hand ps4 basic or ps4pro soon.

yeah user pull the trigger. for 300 euros total I now have 6 games. and it's just a lot of fun NOIT spending time behind a pc when you ahve a pc job. I dont mind the graphics being slightly less than my pc, because most pc games barely have nice graphics.

But that's personal ofc.

what are you retards talking about? moores law hasnt applied for at least a decade. processor speed has plateaued majorly and parallel computing has large diminishing returns. compare the improvement in graphics quality from 2007-2017 to 1997-2007, it's not even close

algorithms dont make anything faster, they just make efficent use of what you already have. there is a limit to what you can achieve through optimization, at some point technology has to improve

the biggest improvement to animation would be dynamic, physically interactive animation and seeing that's hard to paralleize it won't be happening any time soon

Moore was a fucking idiot.

>doubles every 2 years
>yeah, forever
>until the end of time
>that totally makes sense
>I'm moore. I'm an idiot.

people actually bought nigger simulator?

I'll be dead in 13 years so it better be fucking good before then

>polygons are the only way to have visual fidelity

I wish we could just stay at 1080p. Its more than good enough. Fuck 4k. Once we all adopt that shit eventually when its cheap enough fuckers will come out with 8k and so on and so forth. Id rather see improvements to graphics other than resolution. But I guess that's more expensive to do development wise than just upping the resolution.

The original statement by Moore wasn't that "processor power doubles every two years" as retards like to interpret it. It said that the number of transistors you can put in the same area doubles every two years, and that still holds true.

still in the same place because of fucking consoles

that is why they keep buying out companies with breakthroughs: so they can destroy everything and keep it hidden from the general public.

just look what they did to VR already. You just know that shit isn't ready. But they don't give a fuck. They just want money. They hold back progress. They want to bleed your wallet for each marginal upgrade.

youtube.com/watch?v=L2sCJpR3x8o

well if it is still true, it's fairly pointless if it's not increasing processor speed

>Consoles caused the VR disaster
>despite the first console VR being released almost a year after the PC got its first big VR headsets

Really makes you think

> I am retarded

that's okay user

Also riddle me this: what good are CPU upgrades if your competitor AMD makes absolutely trash cpus? Why would you waste income from a market that doesn't need high power next generation cpus?

jesus i never knew mei was a sociopath that killed her victims by freezing them then dry humped
them into climax.

30fps will still be the standard for most games even next gen. They will up resolution to 4k first, which will make games 30fps. Most ps4 games would be 60fps if they stayed at 720p... Xbone not so much lol.

At least console fps developers finally realised the importance of 60fps. They only learnt this message because of cod btw.

VR being a useless novelty ruined VR. Improve it all you want, you're still strapping a headset to your face, which isn't really that compelling unless you're playing a cockpit game

why?

We will regress back to 2010

>cherrypicking!!!
>post ass old screenshots of fear and crysis the most cherry picked games in existence

They look like shit now, let it go.

what the fuck are you talking about?

fucking bullshit. If it was that easy to build terrain why is the games map so barren and lame

Yep. If real VR was possible then the military would've done it already.

>this again

you can listen to various radio stations

>people keep posting this like it makes sense

More polygons doesn't mean you keep the same shape and make it smoother. It also allows you to add different shapes or more shapes in general.

you can make things smaller

>MUH DIMINISHING RESULTS

explain this.

that's not what i said at all.

i said that these companies are making a killing off of the bottom feeding console players.

they dont want to make good games or utilize better technology because they know they can rip people off and those idiot customers are perfectly okay with it.

an on top of that, those companies also buy out those lesser companies that are actually putting in all the work to making progress. Just look at what happened to all those advanced engines. All bought out and being kept locked in a box so the retards won't get smart and demand actual quality.

What I was refering to about VR is that you JUST KNOW that shit wasn't ready to be released. It was nowhere near completion and doesn't have enough testing and feedback. But the people who bought those companies don't care. They want money now. They shipped all those broken machines and all those gullible idiots just breathe it in.

People said the same shit a decade and a half ago when the original Xbox came out. You may be right but you're probably wrong.

TR 2013 was designed to run on 2005 Xbox 360 hardware, it doesn't even have subsurface scattering which Crysis had in 2007

Lara on the left looks hotter.

Funny that I actually didn't say what you said that I said.

Are you a fucking retard?
>specify area
>say that the amount of things I can put into it doubles every 2 years
>forever
>so at some point the things need to be atom sized
>and then it doubles again
>and again
>genius logic

You have shit taste