What are some western games that are successful in Japan?

Honestly I don't know many.
Life is Strange is the only I can think of in this moment.

Other urls found in this thread:

live.nicovideo.jp/recent?tab=live#/view_counter/desc/1
jp.ign.com/goty_2016_ignj/10255/feature/ign-japan-2016-top-10
youtube.com/watch?v=LFlMoAasW4A
nicovideo.jp/watch/sm8912424
mmcafe.com/nico.html
matome.naver.jp/odai/2148376667403344201
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexuality_in_Japan
youtube.com/watch?v=Q9jJufz9RNE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Any blizzard game with an e-sports meme around it.

Any game with a little girl in it

>japs like tumblr: the game

how's that possible

>a country of emotionally repressed manchildren
>liking tumblr: the game

I dont know why you're surprised, really.

its got no gameplay and little girls

COD and Overwatch did well in Japan

Call of Duty, Gears of War.

Both good reasons, hmm, I concur

Civ and Skyrim.
Everyone loves Todd.

basically this

jap consumers have terrible, terrible taste in videogames

Western games used to never sell at all in Japan

but then GTA: San Andreas became the first one to top the weekly sales charts in Japan. Now all the GTA games debut at #1 in Japan. So do the CoD games, and Battlefield 1

Minecraft also got pretty big, but only the console/handheld versions

For a time in like 2007-2010, big-budget western games were like these hidden gems that popular Japanese streamers and Lets Players would dig up to laugh at or eventually fall in love with.

Now they're all harvesting the steam catalog for new content.

live.nicovideo.jp/recent?tab=live#/view_counter/desc/1

Looks like Minecraft, Stardew Valley, Hearthstone, and For Honor.

>Japs like LiS more than Final Fantasy XV, Uncharted 4, Blue Revolver, Dragon Quest Builders, Rez Infinite and many other games
jp.ign.com/goty_2016_ignj/10255/feature/ign-japan-2016-top-10

and if I remember right Life is Strange was in the top 5 best selling games in 2016 for PS4
really makes you think...

Basically if it's a big-budget third person games with good reviews then it will probably sell okay in Japan. Ubisoft now localizes their own games and they do fine in Japan.

They're less receptive to FPS games but CoD and Battlefield are popular enough. There were even local news reports in awe over Minecraft, not because it was popular, but because it became popular without any advertising campaign lol

minecraft is big here, co workers kids play it and all his friends in school too.

I've heard Gears of War has a somewhat sizeable audience in Japan

Well, the game got qt protag with strong yuri undertone. I won't even doubt if someone said it's jap game. I thought it was jap game when seeing SE published it. Never played it however.

Has anyone mention Witcher 3?

Makes sense, as LiS is a French caricature of what they imagine American high school to be like

Witcher 3

How is this game tumblr?

Is this true?

bait

youtube.com/watch?v=LFlMoAasW4A

>I won't even doubt if someone said it's jap game

True, the game even has japanese dub.

japs have weird taste in games

CoD, Skyrim, R6Siege, Battlefield, Uncharted, Overwatch, etc.

They like normie stuff and shooters. None break MH or DQ leveks, but they sell more than a lot of Japanese games.

>says a weeb on some second rate image board dedicated to worship of shitty japanese cartoons

really makes one think

Reminder GTA:SA is the reason some Japs think America is 50% black

It's almost like most japs are fucking faggots no better than US and their local video game developers are forced into making less degenerate shit only because of social standards!

japs love cunts?
i know they like lolis and other shit but cunts? hella weird

>Watching Serious Sam playthroughs on nicovideo

Last Of Us was the pick of the year of several big names

I know you're a retard who bases his knowledge on memes but the things you consider "tumblr", such as treating homosexuals as equal, have been normal in Japan for thousands of years.

Link?

In fairness some Americans also think that

they're right tho

It isn't. It's faggots who never played it going on about the tumblr shit because it got a blue haired dyke. Who is, contrarybto the fags who compare the game to Gone Homo, not really forceful in her lesbian regards.

>It's another X is big in Japan episode.

It's a Yuri Visual "novel" that shit sells

nicovideo.jp/watch/sm8912424

last of us

People should stop taking people seriously when they say something is big in Japan. It's a meme older than most memes saying that shit. 99% of the times it's not true.

>japs like tumblr: the game
Because japs don't care for alleged social justice elements and identity wars that the west fights with, and as a consequence they don't actually even see it. They are not trained to look for it, they take the stories at much more face value and interpret them differently. Hell, Japan loved Frozen, and that movie is basically a piece of pure feminism propaganda. Nobody in Japan thought of it that way and nobody cared.

I can assume that the main reason why they liked Life is Strange mainly because it features adolescent main characters and themes of growing up and highlschool life, which are extremely popular over there. They also have a major thing for magical realism and blends of contemporary world with certain supernatural or magical elements. Twin Peaks has always been a cult status show in Japan, and LiS heavily borrows from that too.

Yeah, I'm trying to find supporting data, but I've heard that Witcher 3 sold remarkably well for a western RPG in Japan. Though I've heard it sold even better in China.

It seems that CDPR did a remarkable good job with Japanese and Chinese localizations: got good translators and good voice-actors. Plus, Japan is fairly hungry for things that are culturally distinct: they love that exoticism, and TW being more distinct and "slavic" resonated more than most generic western fantasy does.

I play this shit game and blue hair bitch is one of the worst character in videogames history. And i ddn't see a point to destroy city only to save this faggot.

Not registering on Nico.

They bad at FPS games or somethin'?

People are right this is not tumblr the game....it's literally 9gag the game.

please go back to neogaf weeb supreme

mmcafe.com/nico.html

Alice:Madness Returns mainly because Japs love Alice in Wonderland to death and is a staple in many of their anime and games there.

list your top games then user

Except that it's not successful in Japan and didn't sell so well?

Sales ranking 2016
matome.naver.jp/odai/2148376667403344201

If you add up all the different releases and re-releases of GTAV on PS3 and PS4, it equals to about 1.4 million.

Because it's pretty much a yuri light novel converted into a video game.

Lis wouldn't look out of place if it was originally a yuri LN.

there's a girl with blue hair dude also the main character is isn't voting for trump so this game is pretty much the jewish plan to ethnically submerge europe with refugees and flooding usa with mexicans

don't let cultural marxists tell you otherwise, life is strange is a code word for white genocide

It's not big in terms of sales, but it's popular among game developers there. The OP pic is the game getting the Game Designers Award at Game Awards 2016.

makes sense

SJWs and the people using the term don't exist in Japan, it's a foreign concept.
When they see Life is Strange, they see cute girls embracing each other, just like in their light novels and anime.

what plebs

Every game that's popular here is decently popular in Japan. GTA, Battlefield, TW3, Skyrim etc.

Don't let that fool you though, popular Japanese franchises like Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter or Pokemon still easily sell 10 times more, it's just that these western games still manage to out sell lot of Japanese titles, especially new IPs.

sauce?
What mango?

That was a good chapter

Not him but there were a fuckton of male prostitutes. A lot of famous samurais and war lords were gay too.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexuality_in_Japan

Fallout 3 & 4 due to deep hatred of American culture and taking enjoyment in seeing it obliterated.

You're a false flagging retard

That's actually a two-fer because in those games the Chinese come across as the old racist stereotypes as well.

Asians dislike each other, though.
Less so in the recent generations.

youtube.com/watch?v=Q9jJufz9RNE

Big in Japan is a great song.

>TW being more distinct and "slavic" resonated more than most generic western fantasy does.
Of course it did. Japanese are racist as fuck. No wonder a racist game without any kind of diversity whatsoever would do well over there in Nazi-friendly Nippon.

Oh come on. Try a little harder. You can do better than this!

chio chan no tsuugakuro

Just because japan makes good games doesn't meant their consumers don't have shit tastes.

In fact it's puzzling how good their games are when their audience are the absolute worst.

It's not really, but it is dogshit.

>land of effeminate beta males that love jerking to cuckold and yurishit
>outside of arcade scene and hardcore fps fans most have problems with games that have actual gameplay
yeah. I wonder why such a shitty game that is literaly a high budget yuri visual novel is popular over there

It's called sarcasm you moron

pretty sure fallout 3 did well

Even though Souls shits over every western game ever made?

A game, that allows you to play as a teenage girl, who can fuck and have personal relationships with other teenage girls. Gee op i don't know how it could be popular in japan

You can't fuck any other girl in LiS.

It's too bad really. I would have loved it if Max had fucked Victoria.

My dick is big in Japan.

Skullgirls sold comparatively well

Uncharted 4 was like top 20th most sold game in japan 2016

Victoria is tsundere for Max.

this better be good

Online multiplayer changed the game more than Western gems.

Because they don't have "hella yes" in the Japanese version.

DUDE BLUE HAIR
LITERALLY ZOE QUINN

You can't fuck anybody in LIS.

Undertale actually got pretty popular in Japan this year when the translation came out surprisingly.

Souls is far more popular in the west, mate. most japanese games that good gameplay only survive because of the western fanbase. both 2ch and 2channel got mad when Square Enix revealed that western gplayers found XV's Demo stupidly easy adna made more comment about the gameplay. while japan was "too hard pls dumb down the difficulty".
Also most of western action games get a difficult decrease when localizd to japan. our normal turns into japan's hard mode and so on.
japan is only better than us at fighting games or other competitive centric game because they have years in advantage to learn the game. look at tekken and SFV. SFV was release simultaneous. Westerns swatted asian left and right on evo except for the devas. west kicked japan butt's at capcom cup finals. Tekken 7 is almost 3 years in japan adn korea and only tournament queens get to play the game in west.
let's not even talk about shooters and mahvel

>how's that possible??!

Prehaps most reasonable consumers don't just choose what they consume and enjoy by some meme checklist that Sup Forums dictates.

Fucking Sup Forums normies i swear.

You mean it's not?!

Played a bit of it. I remember being irritated at how they talked. TELL ME, can you mash vag with the sad Christian chick? I do not want to smash vag with Tumblr: The Character.

>I was pretending to be retarded

Newfag, we were posting that shit here before 9gag fucking existed. Holy shit. Sup Forums is full of more meme fucks now then it ever has been:
>what did he mean, the dust has settled, our guy, sweetie

The diffirence is, we knew, this new lot pretend they are somehow better for posting here.

Well, I liked very much LiS.

>not brainwashed
>don't have to deal with the minority of actual SKW's that do exist
>but they are the plebs

was she even a dyke? I thought she was bi, she had some spare condoms in her bag that one time

dump it