How well has this game aged? Should I play it? I'm always down for some good open ended game with great level design...

How well has this game aged? Should I play it? I'm always down for some good open ended game with great level design. But it looks like it plays like crap now desu. Also, it seems like there's too much shit on the screen.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=t_hJEtqUlj0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Only the aiming is dated. Maxing swimming brings that up to modern game standards.

It has some neat ideas but they're all better executed in Human Revolution and Mankind Divided.

Shooting mechanics and animations are terrible, were terrible even on the release day. Doesn't change the fact that the game is a masterpiece. Install GMDX

Needs a remake tbqh.

Just pick the GEP gun and the rest takes care of itself

>playing deus ex for the first time last year
>get shot in the legs by some robot during the tutorial, critical health
>instead of a game over, the game makes me crawl to the exit
fun. but then i got to the first few missions and found empty levels and stupid AI. play HR instead.

Very well if you're not a cod manbabby, still one of the greatest games ever made and it always will be

>aiming is dated
it's a design choice and a good one at that. Fuck anyone who says System Shock 2 is unplayable, every new immersive sim or stealth/FPS fusion just uses normal aiming and you can easily shoot yourself through

>games age

truly the dankest meme

>story
>level design
>soundtrack
>rpg mechanics/augs
>lockpick/jammer system

the only thing HR/MD got is some graphics and not all the bad things PC gaming brings with itself (which is only a problem if it's your first PC game)

Just stick to the prod and it'll be fine.

The GEP gun might be useful

The aiming system is extremely badly executed. It's only tolerated by most people because they can ignore it by slapping on a laser sight that gives 100% accuracy at all times. If you want to see an FPS that handled a stat-based aiming system the way it should be handled, play NOLF 2 or any of the early Red Storm games.

Oh Yes!

I always wanted to check out NOLF but imo Deus Ex and especially System Shock 2 does it just well. You can shoot but you need to properly aim first which can induce panic and in turn turns you off off doing combat as it should in a stealth/horror game. Also fits in with the rpg mechanics which I personally love in both games. But I should check out NOLF, is the first one worth playing?

I wasn't all that impressed even when it came out.

It has some neat ideas but tries to do too many things at once which, as a result, all end up being kind of mediocre.

I'd still consider it an important game though, seeing how influential it was.

I have yet to play the first NOLF. I think the accuracy system works the same between both games but only the second one has stat growth and stat point allocation.

The problem with DX's system is that your aim continues to worsen to least accurate even if you're just walking very slowly. Another issue is that your aim is not affected by camera/view movement, only directional movement. Anyway, just play the games I cited and it should be easy to understand why some people think DX's system is subpar.

There is a graphics mod somewhere.

Oh yeah, one other huge issue with DX's system is that you can only see your weapon accuracy while you're pointing your crosshairs at an NPC or object that can be damaged.

It's great and it's completely playable even today. If the shooting mechanics bother you, just get a laser sight on your gun and you'll have perfect accuracy. Just don't attach a scope because that'll make the laser useless. Also, you'll get used to the UI.

If you're thinking about downloading a mod, get GMDX. It updates the textures and models and includes minimal modifications to the gameplay and maps, so it's very true to the default game.

get Deus Exe and the Direct 10 Renderer and try to enjoy one of gamings finest. If it's your first RPG from that period of time you'll have to first get used to it but it's worth it.

Always get Speed Enhancement.

Well, yeah. No reason to ever pick Run Silent when crouch-running with Speed Enhancement works just as well for that purpose.

Textbook case of casual filter.

no, i thought the crawling part was pretty cool. just what came after wasn't very entertaining to me.

The graphics and default key mappings are going to be clearly dated. The precedent set by Half-Life's WASD setup wasn't fully standard. Glide was the GRFX API of choice at the time while 3dfx was circling the drain.

The game play is still very much PC game of its era: robust controls and mapping, optional tutorials, opaque story options. The game never tells you that you can just flat out murder most key characters and the story will try to compensate for it down the line.

It's a terrible game, don't even bother.

first level is shit, second level is already what you want if you can make it past the "empty level" sandbox it begins in. Which I think is fantastic because it doesn't get much better in exploration/level design, although the third mission is best at that. Aside from Paris youtube.com/watch?v=t_hJEtqUlj0 reinstalling now

My primary issues Deus Ex are that the gunplay isn’t good, enemies aren’t interesting, the stealth isn’t good, the hacking/lockpicking are one dimensional, there isn’t a significant platforming/area traversal element. Dialogue basically never constitutes a good gameplay challenge, and Deus Ex isn’t an exception there.

On the level of simply the game living up to what it is,the game doesn’t really care if you go lethal or nonlethal in any of the missions (after the third one it stops tracking the difference completely). The overall story arc is completely linear, you always have to betray unatco, you always get captured by gunther, you always break out of unatco, go to hong kong, infiltrate versalife, etc, etc. There are tons of invincible NPCs in many of the levels, especially the early ones. You’re required to kill multiple NPCs to proceed (even if there are clever workarounds for all but one of them).

I went into Deus Ex thinking, “Wow, I can do anything.” After playing and learning more about the game, I realized, “Wow, I can’t do anything.” My opinion on the game changed over time as my opinions about what made a good game or not became more refined. Deus Ex isn’t deep. There’s a lot going on, but none of it is interconnected, meaningful, or challenging.

I never got this argument. It's not an RPG with 1000 endings. When people argue that you can play Deus Ex in so many different ways they mean the level design and different approaches you can get through them, with different character builds and augs. You can level any way you want and the game opens up new ways in its level design because you can never level bad enough which you can't compensate with just exploring the level. In the story department it's really not an RPG, but it doesn't have to be. It's a sci fi thriller with some nice twists and a few things to say about politics, AI and stuff but the level design, damn. Also there are some choices (which don't really affect anything) but you might still miss like how you can save Paul. But yeah it's not open world, you can't just simply ignore the main story to roleplay your character and it's also not New Vegas. It's tightly designed for what it wants to be and gives more choices in gameplay and level design than most other games.

Too bad the gameplay is not good.

ok weeb

Stop overrating bad games.

whats your favourite then, champ?

>breaks down doors
>blows up cameras
>destroys turrets
>destroys most enemies in a single shot
Such a versatile weapon

your ass

And Deus Ex is your fucking favorite game? What the fuck, go play some games and stop coming to Sup Forums.

replayed it recently, voice acting was the main problem for me, there're about 8-9 people voicing all the characters of the game which becomes a little irritating by the end
gameplay, soundtrack and story - alll close to perfection. wish they let you choose whether to join paul and tong or not as it had been planned during early development
l

Aside from some blocky level design (which, at the same time, is among the best the medium has to offer) it's all bearable, especially if you install shit like the DX11 renderers and some HDTP models.

GMDX is an amazing mod but I wouldn't recommend it for a first playthrough, you have to appreciate how abysmally fucking easy the vanilla game is to break apart. Plus, GMDX ramps up the difficulty pretty high so if you have no knowledge of the mechanics, you might get rek'd.

too insecure to tell?

>Thinks games age
Don't even bother playing. It's not for you