Street Fighter V now costs 9 dollars

>Street Fighter V now costs 9 dollars
>still haven't sold more than 2 mil (a failure by Capcom's own benchmarks)
JUST

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CWJmnaHfvaI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Is Capcom ruining the entire genre? Do they need to get out for the good of all fighting games?

Why no sale on PC version?

Doesn't it have an annual fee?

They aren't really ruining it, other companies aren't stepping up to take over is the problem.

Namco has been stalling Tekken for two years now, ASW makes people buy the same game 5 times in six years for updates, and SNK has no marketing in the west so it will never be big here

Only if you want to play online.

because theres week long open ptr with new netcode in few days (28th) so creating sales would just hurt them. ps4 dont get that so they are doing sale

Other companies aren't stepping up precisely because SFV is fucking up hard. They don't have to put any effort to compete now.

Even with all of the blunders and garbage gameplay SFV is still the most popular fighting game because no other company is putting up the effort to release anything bigger just like what I said.

Am I the only one who thinks SFV is a lot of fun to watch? I never played it and I didn't actually enjoying playing USFIV, but for some reason V just has good animations even if the models are subpar.

You probably are honestly, if you understand fighting games then watching a SFV match is coma tier

>Am I the only one who thinks SFV is a lot of fun to watch?
Yes. I already find SF5 a fucking bore to play. I can't able watch videos about it, it all feels slow and not fun at all.

Not the same guy but what can other companies do?

All those games feel very different from each other and there's nothing like SF on the market.

All the good characters are flashy and cool, so yeah. I play a bunch of shitty characters so I hate actually playing it.

>SNK fags are laughing at us
>Tekken fags are laughing at us
>Pokken fags are laughing at us
Is this the lowest we've been?

I'd rather watch SF4. SF5 is shit.

>Is this the lowest we've been?
Street Fighter lowest is much better than any of these other games highest, user. SF5 might be shit but it is more known than any other fighter around.

>shit on fags for 30 years who whine about wake up shoryukens and to get good
>add crush counters and remove dp invincibillity unless EX because casuals still whined about it

Capcom is dead, just wait for Tekken 7
SFV alienated it's core audience to get newblood/casuals but the game isn't enjoyable enough to maintain the new players thus effectively making SFV a game for noone

Playing SF4 is shit. SF5 fixed a lot of its stupid nuances.

It could be deeper, though.

>>SNK fags are laughing at us

SNK fags don't even exist outside of mexico or china

>Street Fighter lowest is much better than any of these other games highest
It really doesn't feel that way

I'd rather play IV again than V even with all of the unblockables from IV, at least it had good normals so the neutral game wasn't shit likeV.

I wouldn't. USF4 was cancer to watch.
>ERyu and Elena everywhere
>timer scams getting near SFxT levels
It was literally SSDD and a lot of the other characters were not fun to watch either with very few exceptions.

Well, you're entitled to having your shitty, wrong opinion.

No, and most of the pros like the game too, despite what Sup Forums will tell you.

>sf4fags

I quit fightan games because of SFV, and got into competetive children's card games instead. Best decision i ever made.

LINKING DOES NOT MAKE A GAME DEEPER, IT JUST MAKES HIT CONFIRMS A MATTER OF MUSCLE MEMORY.

>most of the pros like the game too

youtube.com/watch?v=CWJmnaHfvaI

it really is though, which is SF5 is so fucking shit but still gets the most players even after more than one year in the shit.

>gets the most players
That's just because the SF community is big, but with this downfall... can it last?

Do need to remind you that Japanese players sometimes refer to SFV as "Obligation Fighter"?

Since no other company is bothering with fighting games then yeah most likely

>a literal who 09er who got carried by a meme character then dipped off the charts after EVO

The entire fighting genre is this for me, why should they be allowed to bitch about it?

>sometimes
Unnecessary addition to your statement

>but with this downfall... can it last
Probably, i mean even after the atrocious launch and the lackluster content people are still playing it. Eve when other games offer much better experiences people just wan to play SF.

JWong, Nuckledu, Smug, Alucard,etc. have all gone on record saying that they like the game.

Infiltration is suffering from the lack of a character.

>being popular makes it good

Also it isn't even popular. The lack of people buying the fucking game proves this. People play it because that is where the tourney money currently is.

But they could though, fucking Pokken outsold us, what the fuck will happen when TK7 hits?

What will we do?

Still better than trying to play in the wastelands of GG or KoF.

Guys guys, casuals say USF4 is bad because:
Backdashes
Well shit, let's make back dashes counter-hitable so we can show off our crush counter mechanic!

Guys, guys, casuals say USF4 is bad because people with better reaction time and execution will always win!

Fuck, let's add a 8f input delay so everyone is on an even field, and simplify combos so every can compete fairly.

Guys, guys casuals say wake up DP is overpowered and ruins the fun!

Okay, let's make DPs recovery a crush counter state, and let's make it no longer invincible reversal unless they spend meter.

Guys, guys casuals don't like USF4 because it doesn't have any new character!

Ok we'll add only original characters in season 2. No returning characters

What were they thinking?

They really can't, Pokken sold decent because the Wii U was starved for games but it was never truly competitive and dropped off sharp because nintendo sucks at updating games. 3D fighters are never big in the western fighting game scene either, even though Namco is saying they're trying to make Tekken more simplified it's still deep as shit and won't be huge.

I wish Capcom had a rival to put some fear into them to really improve SFV but no one is there

>Pokken sold decent because the Wii U was starved for games
That argument has been proven wrong over and over again.

Capcom really needs to get its ass into gear before Tekken 7 launches

MK fags are laughing too and their game was shit!

BROS WHAT WE GUNA DO?

>>being popular makes it good
I never said that you idiot. My point is that even when SF5 is hot garbage people would rather buy it than play games like gg, bb, KI and etc. People don't give a shit about fighting games in general, they give a shit about SF5. Even after these other games offered better experience people still don't give a shit about them or drop them faster than a bullet.

It is sad but it is true.

Tekken 7 will not last long and, frankly, I'm disappointed by how mediocre a lot of the game is.

It's like they phoned it in, as if they know the 3D fighting game subgenre will die with Tekken 7.

>Skullgirls fans are laughing at us
Is this the end?

Hello darkness my old friend...

>Capcom really needs to get its ass into gear before Tekken 7 launches

Why? Tekken will launch, get 2 mill sales or so and then all the newbies will abandon it one month in because the game is hard while SF continues on its merry way. Every single time a new Tekken releases, the same pattern repeats itself.

The number of games sold might be decent but that doesn't really matter since we're talking about the competitive scene and tournament entries. Tekken 7 will last maybe a few months before and after EVO until it's down to Guilty Gear numbers

MKX has a higher Metacritic score and user score than SFV. It is objectively a better game.

>The number of games sold might be decent but that doesn't really matter
It totally does matter to the continuation and health of the community

I seriously don't understand why casuals don't like SFV more. Like the game is really designed to favor them compared to USF4, the game didn't even get bad reception from critics yet the they don't even touch SFV.

Is it really the lack of arcade mode?

DELET THIS

Not if that community doesn't translate to the tournament scene which is the entire focus of the discussion. Look at how many people bought Mortal Kombat but the tournaments for it died in one month.

I still haven't bought this game because I won't pay for online and my PC is shit.

Same reason I didn't buy KoF.
If this trend continues I may never buy a fighting game again.

Yeah lack of story mode and the roster being small scared off casuals. They don't care if the gameplay mechanics are simplified since they only want to mash buttons through a shitty story then quit the game in a month.

The changes capcom made for casuals aren't even noted by casuals because they don't even know what shit like invincibility means.

MKX is more of a goofy party game than a serious fighter tho. It being a "better video game" won't make it a better fighter even if we are talking about SFV.

Long load times
Lack of Arcade mode
FM is a pain to grind
Survival is not fun
Colors are locked behind survival, unless you want to cough over $
Gameplay is offensive/rushdown orientated with focus primarily on meaties, so casuals get their shit pushed in even harder because they don't have the tools they use to have to avoid it (because they bitched about it)

Yes and story mode, also casuals don't like DLC.

They wanted the casuals to become pros but they didn't include modes that allowed the casual to experience fighting and practice. You think a casual is going to spend 90 hours in the training room? lol.
Also no one likes to lose a lot.

Is the game fun for people who don't often play fighting games? I might pick it up if it is only 10 bucks

You have to understand that casuals literally just mash buttons in any fighting game, so it doesn't matter how much you simplify the mechanics and increase accessibility. Most casuals don't actually care about playing the game the way it was meant to be played and just go through the arcade mode and shelf it, so it really is that important to them.

>Gameplay is offensive/rushdown orientated with focus primarily on meaties
isn't that what casuals like? Just going in and mashing buttons. Like they bitch endlessly if they see a zoning/turtling/footsies focused tournament scene, they just love seeing the characters beat each other up and SFV is pretty much like that.

>lack of arcade
I've never really understand why people love arcade so fucking much. I mean it was a good concept for an arcade machine, where you are fighting for your money's worth, but in a console it's just random battles you can play anytime even without a dedicated arcade mode.

It's painfully obvious. Street Fighter 2 in the 90s was a big hit, but after the constant rereleases, hyper mega omega super duper editions, people became weary and people stopped caring about SF, which is why the Alpha games and SF3 weren't nearly as well commercially successful and SF went into a hiatus.

As always, if you let time pass long enough, people will forget, so when SFIV came out, people were ready for more SF. However, Capcom didn't learn anything from the past and did the same to SFIV with all the upgraded editions and their weird DLC plans that were compatible with some version and not with others. Again, people became weary of SF and now, like SF3 before, SFV's lackluster commercial success is the result.

So what other fighters are there for beginners? I kinda wanted to get into KoF but no ps4

>their weird DLC plans that were compatible with some version and not with others

Spotted the casual, why are you talking about something you don't know? The only version of SFIV that couldn't be updated with DLC was vanilla. Anything Super and up was able to be upgraded.

SFV demands you to get good and play online to get all characters. Otherwise, you pay real cash.

I quit playing the game when juri came out and became utter shit compared to USFIV juri

So should I buy this, or UMvC3 for 15 more $ on ps4

Nobody cares, SFfag. Capcom's incessant bullshit with SFIV scared of most fighting fans to other series and now MK is profiting from it. Your series is dead as long as Capcom doesn't get its shit together.

I would say UMvC3. Local play is more fun than SFV

I'm pretty sure people just didn't liked the anime style of alpa and 3. 2 was pretty realistic and western friendly looking in it's time, than came alpha and 3 with it's super colorful and wierd lookig characters and more animeish artstyle.

I don't think most casuals even realise that these other editions weren't just expansions for the original games. USF4 kinda was an expansion tho.

Mortal Kombat always sells a ton then has no one in tournaments once NRS doesn't support them anymore.

SFV sucks dick but sadly it's the only fighting game that stays alive for longer than a month so it will be the only choice people will have for a long time.

How Can Skullgrils Laughs Be Real If Skullgirl Fans Aint Real

towards the end of last year's season I was getting bogged down by all the Ryu/Chun/Necalli matches looking exactly the same, but it's exciting to see Guile and Urien and Laura and others stepping up this year.

For the record, I don't get tired of Nash or Mika either, because they seem "flashy" to me. I don't care how braindead they are to actually play, when I watch the tourneys I just see cool combos and players converting from stray hits into big damage. Nadeshiko assist is great for this.

did Pokken outsell SFV? In relative terms, for sure. WiiU audience is crazy small compared to PS4+Steam.

But I think you may be remembering that one article that stated that Pokken outsold SFV (in America (in the first week)). Which is true, but doesn't say anything about the total sales.

I think the fact that competitive Pokken has essentially vanished says a lot.

Putting up a sale during free weekends and such is common practice, it'll probably get one then

Blazblue and Guilty Gear have beginner friendly versions called stylish mode, and very beginner friendly tutorials, mission mode to help grasp concepts and ideas and both game's gatling system makes getting some level of combos very realistic for a beginner

Remember "EVO ON ESPN WILL SAVE IT!"

The western backlash over "anime style graphics" is entirely a modern creation. All fighting games at that time were japanese and anime, and it was the heyday of the genre. Tekken, KoF, SF, MvC, etc.

I guarantee you that "art style" was NOT the reason people weren't into Alpha like they were SF2.

It's more like, Capcom hit a one-in-a-thousand homerun with SF2 and nothing else could hope to compare. It was fresh and in all the arcades, merchandise everywhere. Even if Alpha had looked and played identically, it wouldn't have sold as well, simply due to the passage of time.

The damage is high and mistakes are costly. I suck ass but I played fighters for a long time just naturally bad at them but playing vs other low rank players they play in a way that kills them with very little input from myself as an opponent. They are always

Up backing
Back dashing
Using unsafe normals and specials
Don't have good confirm and combos to take advantage of the high damage
Not utilizing defense options like v-reversal

and more. This game seems like a pain for a newcomer sadly even with all of the casual changes. In SF4 all of the scrubby shit I listed you can get away with easier in low level.

>It's another "SFV is shit because everyone says so!"
This show is getting old.

I'm not saying it isn't flawed as fuck but it is still a very fun game and I personally feel it is a step in the right direction for the series compared to 4.

I'm not saying 4 was bad either but it was barely a Street FIghter game due to its mechanics. SF should be a very basic game with simple combos and mechanics that are easy to understand for casuals.

It's still around; most of the scene is Jap arcades though. The american scene still plays Wii U and besides mvc3 it was the second most crowd funded game to be at evo by a very comparable number.

Obviously whenever they put out the next version the scene will be bigger but it's literally only on a downtrend because namco hasn't said anything about a new console release yet.

>FGCfags literally depend on Melee to keep their dying genre on life support during the 2000s
>SFIV comes out
>suddenly they start claiming that Smash isn't a fighting game and start talking shit to the community
>their shitty genre starts dying again
>Smash popularity at all time high across two different games

This is delicious, I can't wait for FGC autists to have to beg Smash to carry EVO again. And I already know what they're going to say, "But Street Fighter still has more entrants and views than Smash!"

Yeah, good luck with that. People competing at tournaments doesn't fund the games, sales do. Smash 4 has sold nearly 10 million, SFV didn't even break 2 - you won't be seeing Capcom fund another fighting game in a long, loooooong time. I hope you're happy with SFV, because this is all you're gonna get for the next decade or so.

I didn't buy it because freemium DLC shit

I paid for the game, I'm not grinding for content

how's the DLC sales looking? Hypothetically, 1.5mil sales could be just fine if the apr is much higher than $60.

However, I really doubt that, as Capcom gives the most important DLC away for free (good for consumers, bad for them) and the rest of the stuff is so overpriced and/or shitty that I can't imagine hardly anyone wanting to buy it.

>you won't be seeing Capcom fund another fighting game in a long, loooooong time.

Isn't MvC Infinity coming out this year?

There is no fucking reason for a fighting game this day and age to not have an arcade mode. Seriously every fighting game has had this for like 25 years now. No fucking excuse why SFV didn't have one.

mortal kombat had a pretty realistic artstyle which was also part of it's popularity

SF2 fit the avarage western tastes a lot more. You were basically just beating each other up with big muscly dudes of every nation. Most people really disliked when they started adding things like young girl characters like Sakura and Karin or really wierd ones like Oro and Necro in the next installments.

It's a big part of why Mortal Kombat 9 and X are so fucking popular in these days and sell over 20 million copies, while Japanese fighting games struggle to sell over 2 million.

I really don't understand this mindset. You bought the game, but balk at the idea of playing the game in order to get more stuff. Isn't that how we used to unlock things back in the day? Would you rather just pay real dollars for extra content, like in every other game?

The argument about whether or not it's a fighting game has been there since day 1, and there was plenty of fighters at the time unless you specifically wanted sf. Also fgc didn't really stream or anything so I don't really see how Melee kept the "dying genre" on life support. Smash players played smash. fgc played a variety of shit chief among them sf3, mvc, snkvcap, and kof plus a slew of 3d games like soul caliber and tekken.

but every fighting game only had these because they were arcade machine ports (or just wanted to look like ones). There isn't much point in playing arcade if there isn't any risk in losing, and the game already has a real storymode.

SFV is the first SF to not be an arcade port. I think that's why they thought that they won't put it into the game, tho they should have really seen the damage this will cause.

>but balk at the idea of playing the game in order to get more stuff.

You and I know that this is not what its made out to be. It is a tough grind made to encourage users to play tough lengthy modes with a possibility that with the time spent you can get NOTHING or go online for a minuscule amount per WIN. Its nothing like games or even other fighters of before.

The game is already light on content to begin with. Also there's a big difference between unlocking something can't pay for with real money versus something that you can. In the latter there's incentive to make it less enjoyable to unlock, i.e grinding out a fake currency since the developer profits from the player not wanting to go through that process - I waste my time grinding.

If there's locked content that you can opt to buy in a competitive game and that content is relevant to staying competitive in the meta it's pretty fucking obvious which route the developer is going for. League of Legends does the same shit, but at least Riot has the decency not to charge for the base game since you'll need to be spending money in order to play it seriously anyway.

I'm not opposed to developers selling additional content for money if the game already had enough content to justify the purchase to begin with and if the additional content is also good enough to justify the price. SFV doesn't satisfy either of these conditions.

Pretty sure that's all anecdotal evidence. You're applying modern-day "fuck that weeb animu trash" mentality to the late 90's. SF3 did bomb because it gutted the roster and people hated that, true. But I think replacing Bison and Sagat and Zangief with other random beefy dudes would've had the same effect.

and MK never changed its art style, yet fell into the fucking basement after MK3 because people just got tired of it.

The reason the new MK games are popular is because, like SFIV, it returned from a hiatus, got the nostalgia crowd, and then did a fucking PHENOMENAL job at tapping into what casuals want in a fighting game. They want a ton of content and unlockables, challenges, modes, towers, points, rank-ups, and endless series of tiny rewards to make them feel like they're actually getting better as they mash their buttons against a CPU for a few hours at a time every once in a while.

Anime in the 90s had a lot more western appeal than it does in its current form.

A friend of mine ( MK and MVC player when it comes to fighting ) said that out of all SFs, he hasn't "heard anything nice about it" and that it just kind of quietly died. Honestly it seems like the only people who really seem to like it are tryhard scrubs or basically the kind of fighting game players you used to see in the skullgirls threads.

>I cant do combos but I want Mika to sit on my face!

Yup. This is what capcom wants fighting games to devolve into. The next time they show a montage in the arcade they should end the clip with some blurry neckbeard fapping to poorly made SFM and SFV's servers crashing.

So does MvC:I have any chance is being good after how shit SFV was?

At least SFV is better than DOA I assume

SFV was DOA.

It can't be any worse than MvC3