Why is it so hard, lads?

Why is it so hard, lads?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lGar7KC6Wiw
lmgtfy.com/?q=what is the difference between computer science and software engineering
twitter.com/AnonBabble

i dropped out of university because of this shit, don't remind me.

the people who program modern game engines are fucking wizards

If it's so difficult to learn basic programming language just learn UE4's blueprinting system instead.

Every single one of the "I want to make video games!!" kids in computer science all either dropped out or were never making it past the higher level classes (data structures/operating systems/etc.) by the time I graduated. Across the board, they all highly overestimated their abilities, but always turned out to be lazy as shit and often never did their work, the epitome of the "smart but lazy" meme. Getting stuck on a project with them was a death knell because they bragged about how good they were at coding and then would spend 3 hours not being able to get a program to run because they didn't know how to instantiate a linked list.

>its a "Sup Forums thinks they're a software engineer just because they play videogames" thread
you fags literally know just as much as the average facebook user
fuck you

Gabe Newell dropped out of Harvard and look at him now.

You know what you have to do before you can drop out of Harvard...

Get in to Harvard.

Now you just have to gamble on being in the very tiny minority of people like Gabe Newell and Bill Gates and not just a college dropout that becomes a NEET at home or working a shitty minimum wage job.

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first code the universe. ;^)

I never got any of that. I wish I had because my degree is fucking useless.

I'll do it, I'll get into Harvard only to drop out afterwards, you will all see.

the key is to ignore the comp science bullshit you will never ever use and make a game (engine).

I want to be the Ideas Guy.

If you're making an engine you'll need at least some understanding of software engineering, fuckwit

It really is a problem. Right when I was leaving my university they revamped the whole department, half of the computer science program was fucking Javascript and HTML. One of the professors got exiled to information systems (which got placed in the business school) because he disagreed with the changes and now they only had two professors teaching the high end courses, one of whom was a depressed alcoholic who barely taught anything. I lucked out and got the one that actually gave a damn about you learning and getting a job and making you do projects to pad out your resume, but most people won't now. College is fast becoming high school 2.0, they just want to leech money out of you.

I was really good in that class, ended up with a 97 or something. I had this Hungarian professor who was totally awesome. It really isn't that complicated.

Sounds like this NERD needs a swirlie.

This. I have so many amazing ideas

If you only want to learn how to program for game
just google some tutorial online

It really isn't though

>took data structures class that said to take O notation class alongside to understand what the prof was talking about
>didnt understand any of it, but already knew trees, inheritance, and classes from intro to C++ course

suck my dick, math

t. wizzard

>most games these days are made using store-bought assets, borrowed scripting, completed engines, and even full templates
>"gaming schools" try to teach you coding language from square one, even though a ton of that shit won't even apply to your specific field

Happened to me when I was a naive shit of a freshman. Told my counselor I wanted to get into making games eventually and decided to put me in a useless "how to Java" class. There's too much Carl Sagan "If you want to make an apple pie from scratch" mentality in education these days, where they try to teach you shit that computers and programs can already do so much better as "fundamentals" even if it's never going to be applied to your career.

>implying you need to know any of this to make video games

> Bill gates dropped out of Harvard
> Gabe Newell dropped out of Harvard

College education is just a meme, never worked. Just be yourself

>Got a public Sector job working with city government
>All those benefits
>Always off on Holidays
>Have to display salary and do all this usual burreacratic shit before I do anything so I never really work

Pretty nice

Despite how fun a video game may be on the surface, there was a grueling amount of work put into educating and training the people who made it.

There's no connection between the final product and all the effort that was required to produce that product.

Happens everywhere, I studied electronics and we would learn how to build shit that hasn't been used in 50 years.

My university lost its compiler and cryptography courses cause so many dumb fucks are in the CS program now that want to only do web dev and games. I don't know why they went to university instead of doing a local college for programming. It's actually so triggering.

pure math > EE > CE > > > > CS > > > > > > > 'programmer'

Obligatory
youtube.com/watch?v=lGar7KC6Wiw

Not to mention the crippling debt.

I can't get a gf if I be myself

implying someone who calls me a fuckwit as their principle argument knows how to impliment those things.

games are super fucking easy to make these days

requires absolutely zero knowledge about data structures or engine architecture, you just download whatever editor you feel like using and google every issue you have

Isn't Computing in general filled with people like this though?

>not going to uni for a meager 5 grand/a month

nobody says you have to go to the top tier schools

On some level that's correct, you can use Middleware to make an entire game from start to finish. But you won't have as much flexibility as you might want

It'd be funny if some people didn't go to university for legitimate professions only to be saddled with nothing but debt.

>going to college at all

nobody says you have to go to school.

if your employer requires a bachelors, they're a shit company that you dont want to work at

>implying you need all this shitty math to make a good game
>implying most of the math isn't just for shit like making flying orbs float around you in a specific pattern or making really fancy lock on missiles or making characters feet be on the right step when walking up stairs or other superfluous shit

This is just some buttmad game dev who couldn't find a job and is trying to get others from saturating his field

this is exactly why the game industry is a shithole to work in and anybody intelligent avoids it like the plague. the problem is for every one person that recognizes this there's another five doe-eyed naive college students that think game programming is 40 hours of shooting Nerf guns in cubicles and playing fun, finished video games

>tfw TA for intro computer science classes
I honestly just want to be a comfy professor/lecturer especially since writing Light Novels is my passion. I figure the extra schooling shouldn't be too bad compared to the comfyness and holidays off

>CC
>transfer to 4 year for BS
>even if you have to take a loan it's going to be at most $20k

>learning all that shit you will never need
>but you need (((foundations)))!
I got held up a semester because of those Turing machines.
Look, I know that this Turing fag was amazing and a genius and computing exists because of him and yadda yadda, but nowadays this shit is fucking useless outside of proving that Minecraft could be used to calculate quantum physics simulations.

>tfw paid off loans in 1 year and making significantly more money than any friend who didn't do university.
Wow university truly is a meme.

if you dont know data structures or how to build a piece of software, it wont matter to you anyway

>be black
>get in easy because they want to satisfy their diversity quota
wow that was hard

>tfw Year 2 into a Computing course and don't know shit all about programming or much else for that matter

University is great guys, can't wait to hand my assignments in next week!

what if I know one but not the other

>Toby Fox had literally no coding experience and studied motherfucking music and now is rich as hell by making a 5 hours long rpgmaker tier game

Yes, people that study how to code at university for creating games are dumb.

>getting angry at "satire" comics from the onion
How did you even get into university if you're this dense?

>just make an engine from the ground up

Why? It will be inferior to any of the premade engines made by hundreds of people

You'll work on it for two years and you can have a ball with two lightsources, that melts the cpu

Learn how to model and draw textures, then dump your shit into Unity or Unreal 4 something

The people who drop out of university to become successful aren't spending their free time shitposting on Sup Forums.

As someone who think about getting into IT can you tell me the difference between Computer science and software engineering?

Don't they teach you programming languages?

That literally does not happen.

>tfw I recognize that I'm shit at STEM and study history

I'm probably fucked once I graduade but at least I'm focusing on something I'm interested in

>literally no coding experience
except romhacking...which is fucking with ASM and archaic SNES hardware.

You do realize that you make a shitload of contacts at Harvard which allow you to super easily set up a business, right?
And Still gotta be smart to get there.

>being this naive and uninformed

Yea, you're supposed to be an adult now. No more hand holding in education. You need to be passionate enough to learn the shit on your own. Just save your money and drop out now if you can't be bothered.

those fucking proof-based CS courses killed me

I don't know man, sure the studies should focus on what you actually use, but I think you should have at least a basic understanding on how all these things actually work on fundamental level. It shouldn't be what the focus is put on though.

become a history teacher

>why? just use unity or unreal
implying I take shit advice from noobs.

Don't bother with either, you're clearly lacking in research skills.
lmgtfy.com/?q=what is the difference between computer science and software engineering

Research skills are what you need the most in this line of work.

>He thinks Harvard will accept a

>tfw in STEM and can do the work
>would rather study history or film though

I don't want to be homeless, but I don't really want to be an engineer either.

Can I get a quick rundown on what this is about?

>can't even spell gratuade

>Being American

Software engineering has engineering mathematics, such as Calculas and Linear Algebra. As well as engineering documentation classes, and an engineering economics class, and an engineering ethics class. Thats the difference in my school at least. This leaves room for the CS program to take a few more CS classes, but ultimetly SE takes a ton of CS classes including things like in OP's image

Are you sure?

>tfw putting off working on Operating Systems lab over Semaphores to shitpost on Sup Forums
I'm so close Sup Forumsros but this shit is boring as fuck

Nice try, you'll never make it, you'll never drop Harvard!

How come there are so many programmers & history students with a side of medicine ones but you never hear about those who study criminology?

You have to learn how to cheat. And I dont mean cheat in the sense of copy someone elses work or download the answers. I mean cheat in the sense of figuring out how to write totally fraudulent papers that seem legit if you skim over them and turn out to be absolutely useless under scrutiny.

I had no idea how to program in my final year of university. For out final project I basically threw together some shitty click counter program, accompanied by 12000 words of absolute garbage that sounded academic and I got a 2:1 for it. One of my course tutors spoke english as a second language so his grammar and vocabulary was limited. Ya know what I did? I obfuscated the everloving shit out of my coursework with academic terms and flooded it with graphs that didnt map to any real data, and I got the best grade in the class because he was probably too insecure to ask another lecturer for help reading it.

University is a fucking joke.

You'll end up like the hundreds of guys in /agdg/ with barebones engines who "almost" have a game, and if they even finish it years later, it's like Superfrog meets Giana Sisters

if you're that far, youll figure out the other

This isn't just "I want to make video games!!" kids, its also the "I'm a really good programmer!" and the "I'm so bad at math xDDDD" kids. CS is like 10% programming, 60% problem solving, and 30% math

but both of those games were good in the times they were released

will taking computer architechture help me if I jsut want to be a code monkey? I already learned some stuff about x86 because of an assembly coding class

They do but I don't really feel like I've actually learned anything. If anything my skills have regressed going into Year 2 since my new lecturer is incomprehensible

The main thing is I don't really have the passion for it at all and that's basically resulted in a "do only what you need to, nothing more" mentality.
The thing is though, the first year they taught us using Java was largely done through the aid of a book you can freely buy, leading me to think if you really had the passion for this stuff, surely in todays world you could learn it yourself as opposed to spending thousands

I'm so glad that I realized I really had no capacity for this kind of thing before starting college

What the fuck? In that time I was taught OOP and much more.

> "professional programmer"
> This is how your 60 fucking dollars are wasted

Game Programming is actually batshit easy, just look at these copypaste shit.
Yet you still considering those lazyass parasite "game develop" actually needs an a "cs certificate" and an effort to finish their "hard work".
Shit I am not paying shit for your meme.

If you want to get educated on practical applications you don't pursue a degree you retarded piece of shit

>Be me, black
>Super high GPA
>Top 5% of a HS class that had people that went to MIT, Princeton, Harvard, etc
>Great tests and Extra curriculars
>Rejected from Stanford and Harvard

Affirmative Action is a meme and only applies if you're rich.

Computer Science has the best online courses of any subject in the world. You can go from zero skills to machine learning entirely on the back of free online courses.

To be clear I'm not talking about THE INTERNET UNIVERSITY, I'm talking about edx, coursera, etc. Places where top-tier universities like Harvard and Stanford offer their entire curriculum for free online. You can take Harvard's CS intro course completely free on edx, the only thing you won't have access to is one-on-one time with staff (instead you ask questions on a public forum)

And FYI, these universities put a huge emphasis on applicants who have already completed their intro courses online.

3SH3?

1.) No they weren't
2.) That was 25 years ago

Is CS in college actually useful in the US? I did Applied CS in university over here and all we learned was useless theory and math.
Yes, it's nice to know how an OS works at the basic level, what a turing machine is or how to use the Gauss-Jordan algorithm, but none of that is any use if all the entry-level jobs require some form of Java or .NET experience.

>"I finished my master in CS!"
>"Great, what did you learn that actually has to do with software engineering and isn't just purely abstract theory knowledge?"
>"..."

Im glad I went with Finance instead of CS, I totally would have been one of those "smart but lazy" guys who got his shit fucked in the end. Now Ill be able to land some relatively easy cubicle job, hell and Ill probably start at like 45k too.

Designing maps is not fun, unline building engines.