Is the 3DS a great JRPG machine?

> Contemplating buying one with Luma installed
> I'm interesting in things like Chrono Trigger, Xenoblade Chronicles 3D, and whatever else is possible to emulate on the thing.

It's either that or start a new collection with a PS4 + Persona 5, but I'm a poorfag from a poorfag country help.

Other urls found in this thread:

rpgfan.com/reviews-ds.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

There's a bunch of Atlus games (EO, SMT, Radiant Historia soon) and FE Conquest. That's about it.
You can play DS games and emulate snes, mega drive, gba, etc. if you have a DS flashcart, I think.

I have every Nintendo handheld every made and the 3DS is by far the worse. It is an extremely shitty piece of hardware. I still go back to every single one of my handhelds, but I will never go back to my 3DS. It is an irredeemable piece of shit.

If you just want to emulate on the go, get a PSP/Vita.

this, if you want an emulation device just go with vita

If you are a poor fag you are better of getting and modding a PS3.
Otherwise get the 3ds.
It does have a lot of JRPGs on it right now and can run all DS games.

Although right now PC has the msot JRPGs and you can also emulate DS on it and the Emulated version of Xenoblade fro the wii is the best version.

Are you emulating CT SNES or DS?

The 3DS library is poor as fuck but the hardware is salvageable if you get a DS flashcard to play DS on it.

The 3DS is only good because it's fully hacked and really easy to hack.

3DS is pretty bad when it comes to JRPGs. Buy a PlayStation "japanese games machine" Vita instead.

>The 3DS library is poor as fuck but the hardware is salvageable if you get a DS flashcard to play DS on it.
What good JRPGs does the DS have? I know of SMT SJ and the SaGa remakes but the FE games and the Valkyrie Profile TRPG are mediocre, there's a lot of ports of mediocre Dragon Quest games and whatnot but nothing remarkable. The best DS JRPG is best played on 3ds (SMT Devil Survivor).

"3DS" library is only good if you consider the backwards compatibility. It's actually worse than the DS+GBA backwards compatibility combo.

Rune Factory 4, Monster Hunter 3/4 ult, Etrian Odyssey. Whoops you played the whole exclusives wee

rpgfan.com/reviews-ds.html
these guys consider anything with story "rpg" but over half it is legit RPGs.

I've been wanting to get a DS to play all of those JRPGS that I never got the opportunity to play. Do I need the 3DS or can I just buy a big normal DS? I don't care about the 3D effect or any other gimmicks. I just want RPGS and maybe the newer pokemon games

>What good JRPGs does the DS have?
Radiant Historia
TWEWY
Rune Factory 1-3
Atelier Lise/Annie/Lina
Metal Max 2&3
Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals
Dragon Quest 4-6

Chrono Trigger
Radiant Historia
FF III & IV
Golden Sun Dark Dawn
The World Ends With You

Do I need a 3DS to play good JRPS and pokemon sun & moon?

Or can I just go with a normal DS?

>buy 3DS for Pokemon
>realize soon after there are barely any other games worth playing
I probably spent more time playing Wario Ware ports than actual 3DS games other than Pokemon.

So you'd recommend just getting a normal DS? It could potentially save me money for games.

No, the 3DS has a lot of great games but not that many JRPGs.

On Vita on the other hands, the only good games are JRPGs, but there are a TON of them

If you can, get both consoles. If you mainly play JRPGs, get Vita only. If not, just buy a 3DS

I know mustard race bullshit is getting overdone, but Desume is a top of the line emulator. It actually hacks the thing so it plays 4x the resolution and lets you load from memory so there would be 1/8th the loading time. If you're going to pirate it, you might as well do it on PC.

Pokemon had much better games on the DS.

XY, ORAS, and Sun and Moon are awful.

dont emulate on the 3ds its garbage. even ds games look like shit on the 3ds, just emulate on your phone

Thanks for the info. I haven't ruled out a PSP at all, and in fact, I tend to enjoy sony products. It's just that the DS screams "RPG" to me for some reason.

brb checking youtube for PSP rpg buying guides

Might as well just emulate DS on your phone then.
I really tried to find interesting games on 3DS, but nothing appeals to me. DS had some good ones, PSP had tons of underrated titles worth playing, 3DS is somehow really poor in that regard.

DS+PSP will last you years. I'm still clearing the library and I bought those damn things back when they were alive.

Just get a Vita, you can play every PSP game on the Vita aside from the huge library of rpgs on the actual Vita itself. It's also a great emulation machine too.

Well on Vita you can play a lot of PSP games (digital only unfortunately), in addition to Vita games, but second-hand PSPs might be cheaper.
3DS does have some JRPGs (Bravely Default, Pokemon, Tales of the Abyss, Etrian Odyssey, etc) but the Vita remains the goto consoles for Jrpgs.

>Do I need a 3DS to play good JRPS and pokemon sun & moon?
>Or can I just go with a normal DS?

They're 3DS releases, so you will need a 3DS obviously. You're not missing much though, all the good Pokemon games (HG/SS, Platinum, B&W 2, Mystery Dungeon series) are on the DS.

If you're tight on money i'd recommend a DSi or DSiXL since you can find them cheap on ebay. Then buy an R4i card and head on over to emuparadise and fill that baby up.

Not him but I actually bought a 3DS just to play DS games since it was so shitty to play them on PC. Handheld games are best played on handhelds.

For JRPGs the PSP is definitely the best one of all handhelds.

i don't know what poorfag entails for you, but I'm NEET with an income of $0.00 and I still don't regret spending what little money I had from birthdays as a kid on a n3dsxl

Get CFW on it and you'll be entertained for a very long time. Even just the SMT games will keep you occupied for half a year.

I guess the comf factor is there but I got spoiled to the point that I can't go back to playing on native resolution any more. The resolution hack is really really nice especially on pokemon.

>spending what little money I had from birthdays as a kid on a n3dsxl
Jesus christ how underage are you when you were a kid when the New 3DS got released?

>checking youtube for PSP rpg buying guides
I suspect you'll want to get Disgaea, Persona 3, and Jeanne d'arc. If you like those games then ignore this list.

Here's some PSP JRPG I think are good:
Tactics Ogre
Growlanser IV
Valkyria Chronicles 3
Ys Oath in Felghana
Trails in the Sky
Yggdra Union
Gungnir
Wild Arms XF
Valkyrie Profile
Persona 2

Yes, Since both Old and New 3DS have access to the SNES's library. Which had by far the best RPGs of all time. Also if you don't mind spending an extra few bucks on a DS flash cart, which has the best versions of pokemon.

You'll have an endless amount of games.

I I had a display I could turn so the DS emulator could fill out the entire screen I would play some games on it but the way it is it's just too annoying. Though I would definitely play 3DS games on it since a lot more 3DS games are 3D based and look absolutely horrendous with the 320p screen.

I'm 23, I've just been very frugal with my money

>the SNES's library. Which had by far the best RPGs of all time
This is completely false and shows your lack of knowledge of JRPGs.

The best JRPG library by far is on the PS1. So if you want the golden age of JRPG games get a PSP or a Vita since you can play PS1 on them.

Are there even any games worth playing on 3DS besides Gyakuten Saiban and Layton.

Do NOT buy a already CFW 3/2ds. It may be a banned system with a public seed. Just buy a new 3ds and do it yourself. 11.2 is the last point not for piracy 11.3 is impossible currently. Pretty sure we only have 11.2 and below sealed 3ds

There are a few good games here and there but overall it's just mediocre. My favorite 3DS game is Theatrhythm Curtain Call but that's only because I highly enjoy rhythm games and Final Fantasy music.

>some Eastern Euro, Latino, Nig, Asian, etc poor kid saving money from Bayram and birthday for years.
>spends it on 3DS of all things

Man. No wonder you guys suicide bomb.

listen to this guy OP

Bravely Default

>Legend of dragoon
>Jade cocoon
>FF8
>Vagrant story
>Wild arms
>Chrono cross
>All of it in my hand

H-hold me lads