How do we fix the horror genre?

How do we fix the horror genre?

Like this

Why would you edit that dumb face onto that picture? It's much creepier without it.

We stop catering to Twitch/Youtube crowd with walking jumpscare simulators and go back to the survival horror.

why he head so big`

Thanks

I've never seen an argument summed up so well with a single image

Here ya go, samefag. Hope ya like it

/thread

But honestly, and I will get shit for this, this is partly why I liked RE7.

RE7 did had a good amount of jumpscares and enemies to fight. But there were also a lot of instances where it suggested that there would be, and nothing happened. But the suggestion worked, and you expected something. Like the whole kids' bedroom and returning to the basement parts, which are GREAT when you go through them the first time.

What did he mean by this?

The horror genre is actually improving, so "fixing" it isn't as relevant a topic like it once was.

nice mspaint job but the samefagging is obvious

People actually find this remotely scary or unsettling?

Fair enough

bring back body horror and/or low polys.

This is how you do horror games.

Insert horror when and where player does not expect it.

What game is that?

horror is for movies

we the nintendo community won't support horror games for our beloved and nostalgia inducing consoles

Microorganism Adam 5

Parasite Eve 2
it's an excellent survival horror with some rpg elements.
PE1 too, but is more like a horror rpg.

if your game has more than 1 jump scare per hour of gameplay, scrap the entire project, your game is shit. Period.

People should do parody horror games where the athmosphere and what not is similar to real deal, but it parodies all the cliches from door squeks to lights flickering in omnious (But harmless) hallways to phone calls where some random drunk calls you. Oh, and have something like pic related as the "monster".

Include me in the screenshot for this epic meme! These two posts were NOT posted by the same person!

Less jump scares, more creeping dread. Maybe even no 'monsters' until the last third of the game, build up the suspense by degrees until then.

>Maybe even no 'monsters' until the last third of the game
No, this kind of thinking is how we got the walking sims of today.

Stop trying to put all the emphasis on scaring people. It feels like most games try to force the player into being spooked with obvious music cues, an abundant amount of jump-scares, and being railroaded from one scare to the next. These things should happen organically.

I remember one of the greatest scares I had was accidentally bumping into a Bloodsucker. With less emphasis on actively trying to scare the player, and more on just making a good game, I think that most problems could be solved.

It's been done, Spooky's House of Jump Scares.
It's just that halfway in it starts using real horror.

Hi guys