Literally nothing wrong with using zsnes

Literally nothing wrong with using zsnes

The only people who disagree are mouthbreathing autists who care about minor shit that affects nothing

Other urls found in this thread:

smwcentral.net/?p=viewthread&t=67700
youtube.com/watch?v=Q3SOYneC7mU
youtube.com/watch?v=Jq7_6R_cvgw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

why the fuck should i care about what snes emulator should i use?

as long as it emulates good i dont give a shit about the other stuff

Is there something to ZSNES that I don't know about

You're making me suspicious about ZSNES.

GOAT gui

I grew up using zsnes exclusively, I love the retro interface, and I love how it runs on my shitty pc back in the day.

the only people who shit on zsnes and shill the newer emulators are literally kids who got into emulating late in their age.

Yes I enjoy many games outright not working

I don't give a fuck if you use it for the stuff that works, though

bump for truth

Name one relevant game that doesn't work

I really don't understand what people mean when they talk about compatibility, i've heard that Jnes and ZSnes are crap because they have bad compatibility and accuracy, but still games run just fine. I tried using Higan but the interface is absolute trash

I use Higan because it's got perfect accuracy and the GUI doesn't look like a middle schooler's first try.

zsnes was designed for dos you dipshit

So? It looks like shit. I don't care if it was designed to run under conditions that no one has given a fuck about in better than 20 years.

So use Snes9x, sweetie. It has a really pretty GUI! :^)

hey, show some respect kid

It's just been around for fucking ever. I remember playing games on it in 1999 on a Windows 98 computer.

There's a reason there's like four SNES cores for RetroArch and none of them are ZSNES.

>using retroarch

"Accuracy" refers to playing the game the way a real SNES would.
Try playing Super Mario RPG or Kirby's Dream Land 3 on an old version of ZSNES.

The most egregious thing however is its poor sound accuracy. It doesn't sound like a real SNES's sound chip.

sauce

>using RetroArch unironically

>game crashes
>minor
Faggot detected.

>Not using Retroarch
Why? It's literally perfect. You have everything in one place. it sets up controllers automatically, you can configure each core individually.

Hell, they even keep dumbing down the interface because people are apparently too stupid for the PS3-style GUI.

child detected

>using an emulator so fucking old that it actually has security holes

I prefer SNES9x, but the GUI on ZSNES is AESTHETIC.

Just play with what you like. It's for your enjoyment, not anyone else's.

>retroarch
literally_reddit

Literally never had it crash on me before

You're probably too stupid to set it up properly

No, actually I got fucking sick of ZSNES locking up Der Langrisser over and over due to shitty emulation and that was over 10 years ago.

smwcentral.net/?p=viewthread&t=67700
YOU CAN HAVE YOUR CAKE AND EAT IT TOO

THERE IS LITERALLY NO REASON TO USE ZSNES

You can't set ZSNES up to make it not crash on Star Ocean or Der Langrisser or SMRPG. It has nothing to do with me and everything to do with the emulator.

Snes9x has been around since '99, buddy. Nintendo tried to sue over it because they believed it presented a better experience than an actual SNES.

Play Klobber Karnage in Donkey Kong Country 2 on ZSNES and fucking tell me the barrel glitch is something minor that affects nothing.

There is also literally no reason not to use ZSNES, sweetie.

>old
out the window goes the opinion

SNES9x was total shit until the mid 2000s, though. It had worse sound than ZSNES for years.

okay honey but don't come crying to me when you're playing an SNES game and the music sounds like absolute shit, sweetums

>made by an official zsnes author
looks good to me

but again, I mainly used zsnes because I had a shitty pc when I was young

I'll keep using zsnes and there's nothing you aspies can do about it

>R: 35 / I: 4

How the fuck do you niggas whine this much about emulators?

>no reason not to use
>several games crash under it
Yes, this is clearly an educated opinion and not at all bullshit from someone who doesn't actually emulate.

Not only is ZSNES extremely inaccurate, it has code execution exploits. That means a ROM could install a virus on your actual computer.

because people who shit on zsnes are literally the most autistic people on the site

Naw, I just don't emulate your janky moonnigger games.

Then why the fuck are you even emulating at all?

mentioning zsnes triggers Sup Forums

and rightly so because there are better alternatives but people keep using the old, worse option due to nostalgia

it's like continuing to use nesticle when nestopia has existed for years

or for a different example, it's like using windows XP in the year 2017

cause it's free you bitch

Here's a video showing off a SNES ROM opening up a page in the browser, but it could do anything a virus running on your PC could do.

youtube.com/watch?v=Q3SOYneC7mU

ZSNES is abandoned and this will never be fixed.

nigger I wish I could use nesticle, that shit doesn't run on my computer at all.

the exploit did get fix in 2015

Wow, it got fixed in their SVN? Amazing. The version on the site is still unpatched.

The difference is that Windows XP doesn't have compatibility issues that modern OSes do - there are several games that will run just fine on XP but will explode on W7, 8, or 10. The only thing ZSNES does that other emulators don't is run ROM hacks that are built around its inaccuracies and those stopped being made years ago.

>the old, worse option

Except in 99% or more of user cases it's functionally identical, and everyone knows everything about ZSNES so it has a larger accessible knowledge base.

A marginally worse engine that is better documented and supported than an engine that is only better in edge cases the vast majority of users won't run into is actually the better choice. Sorry that makes your tism twitch.

THE KING OF EMULATORS

ZSNES was the shit. Who even plays emulated SNES roms in this age?

>minor shit that affects nothing
Fucked up physics in Super Metroid
No transparencies in Kirby's Dreamland 3 meaning you have to do a level blind
Crashes at a certain point in Star Ocean no matter what
Wrong type of barrels in a level in DKC2

children do
legacy zsnes users grew up and now have money to buy the actual cartridges

anyone shilling 9x or higan are teenagers who can't afford to buy games

I don't use emulators.
What are you, some kind of normalfag who can't even bother buying your system of choice at the moment?

Why would you buy actual cartridges? Most of the games worth playing are extremely overpriced. You can get a flash cart that plays almost every SNES game for less money than EarthBound.

I replayed some FF6 recently

Thanks, user. This is neat.

only little kids that need shiny GUIs use zsnes

>zsnes
>shiny

I think you're confused kid.

HAIL TO THE KING BABY
youtube.com/watch?v=Jq7_6R_cvgw

There is a reason SNES9X has been the one that is ported to everything. ZSNES is just not the go to anymore.

Because ZSNES was coded in assembly for x86.

Not that ZSNES isn't terrible by modern standards, or even standards from a decade ago, but it's not ported because you'd need to recode the thing from scratch.

Using ZSNES in this day and age is akin to:
Using Windows 95 when newer OSes exist
Using a Nokia 3310 when newer phones exist
Using VHS cassettes when newer video formats exist
Using floppy disks when newer storage formats exist

notice how this user didn't mention vinyl records because it would go against his argument

>newer automatically equals better

Just because something might be an improvement, doesn't make it necessarily better

ZSNES is the laserdisc of emulators
It looks cool. Can appreciate its aesthetic presentation.
But nobody should use it over a better, more modern emulator.

nigg, it is the vinyl of emulators
EVERYONE used it back in the day to play SNES games

and now, people only use it for nostalgic reasons.

The people that listen to/purchase vinyl are pretentious retards and the analogy fits perfect, vinyl is absolutely terrible sound quality and you know it is.

if they get the job done adequately, why the fuck not?

>he doesn't think the dust scratching sound is pure A E S T H E T I C S

please pleb, go sperg about hi-fi quality in Sup Forums

Vinyl has always been shit. It's resurgence in the past few years is a con to get easy shekels from unsuspecting plebs that think they're "cultured"

The word "improvement" literally means "better"

>Vinyl has always been shit.
vinyl was the only way to play music back then, much like how zsnes was the only way to snes roms back then

why are you guys sperging about it being bad? we know that lol, we just like zsnes because it's a classic

I'm using Zsnes right now to emulate FE4, it works and my shitty wired gamepad works with it too.

What's wrong with it outside of the UI looking like it literally came out of 2000-era DOS which it entirely did?

Why play new video games ever? The old ones adequately entertain by themselves!

Emulate Der Langrisser and find out.

can you stop sperging about a game no one else plays?

Why do people use anything other than retroarch?

Anyway, there's a reason why retroarch uses snes9x instead of zsnes. Zsnes is shit... It can't even run Yoshi's Island correctly.

Just because you're too retarded to actually play SRPGs doesn't mean nobody else does.

It's probably byuu.

He's had a hate boner for zsnes since his romhacking days.

It has had some major security vulnerabilities where people can write ROMs that take over your computer. Also, it just doesn't emulate all that great.

Somehow, it's still completely iconic, even though bsnes has been around for over 10 years now

Command line was the only way to use computers back in the day! Why would anyone ever use graphical interfaces? Besides autists, of course, amirite?

it's cheaper, too, tbqh
>my thinkpad 420 can run most of the older emulators without any problems
>don't have to deal with AAA bullshit if I don't want
>can revel in nostalgia for the rest of my life
still have consoles and a pretty good PC, but I could totally live with emulating older games for the rest of my life if I had to

I'm probably only going to use it to play FE4 and 5, is Langrisser worth a play after that? also what's the problem with it

Framerate and music is fucked on ZSNES and several games just don't emulate at all.

Because retroarch is just a front end. Stop shilling your architecture that isn't going anywhere and ends up performing terribly on anything other than pc.

Super Mario RPG had broken layer effects, requiring you to disable layers in order to not have the entire screen covered up by non-transparent animates backgrounds

someone post the random code execution exploit, I can't be arsed to search for it right now
I mean that one it opened a web-sight after opening a rom

Generally, certain games have trouble running on it compared to other emulators.
For example, I tried Super Mario World hacks that refused to boot up for no particular, only to suddenly do so when I tried Snes9x.
Also certain games don't emulate right on ZSNES (though I haven't run into this yet).

>Emulating
>Not having the original console, a flash cart, a CRT and enjoying your games the way they're meant to be enjoyed

No use bitching about MUH ACCURACY when you could be playing them as accurate as possible

>retroarch is just a front end

It's literally not a front end. Front ends use retroarch.

It has snow. It has fucking snow.

Also ZSNES is so old that some people feel as nostalgic about it as they do about old vidya.

>command line is comparable to vinyl
why are you sperging out?

take a chill pill autist

the new Genealogy of the Holy War translation won't work on it though

Is that it?

>is Langrisser worth a play after that?
Yes. It's slower than FE4 is due to way more units, though.
>also what's the problem with it
It fucks up without fail after about an hour of play and the emulation speed slows down to less than one FPS.

I'm really only using Zsnes since that's what /feg/'s master ROM pack ships with, and it works for the games I've got so far. Though I still have the 2015, 2016 edition I think, not sure if the new patch would work.

zsnes is the granddaddy of emulators
show some fucking respect you 1995+ kids

>Literally nothing wrong with using zsnes

Except the fact that it's grossly incompatible with half the SNES library. The most recent versions removed all the code hacks that allowed zsnes not to crash certain ROMs. If you try to bring it up in the forums, they'll just berate you and lock your thread.