NieR:Automata's English Dub

What do you think of the dub?

Inferior to the Japanese voice acting, but it's Squeenix so the dub is pretty good. There are some good highlight moments for each character.

Although I'd probably still recommend the English dub over the original voices since there's a lot of talking that happens during battle. It's hard to keep track of both the subs and action, especially in this game. If you know nippon though go for it.

>The voice of 2B is fucking Rina-Chan

9S is fantastic, 2B is meh

I think the english voices are better than the japanese ones, particularly Punished 9s

>Inferior to the Japanese voice acting
Why do mentally deranged weebs think this is so and why do they think they are appropriate judges of voice acting in a language they don't even speak?

Okay, but its hampered by the use of the same literal VAs in practically any eng dub.

The Japanese is better but the subtitle translation are clearly designed from the Eng dub not actually translating the Jap voices.

Also English VAs can't scream for shit

Yeah. That was a boner killing discover. With that said, she is good as 2b. It just kinda kills my boner knowing it IS fucking rina.chan.

who

As far as the voices go I think its pretty good for a dub.

One thing that keeps bugging me is that they """localized""" a lot of dialogue making the characters come off in a different way than it was intended.

2b's japanese voice is so goddamn generic waifu sounding its painful. The dub is superior.

9s english actor deserves special mention to, the dude was great.

I like the dub a lot

only character that seems kinda off is toobie's. But I'm not really happy with the jp voice either, she sounds like a little girl

I like the pitch and tone of english toobie but her line delivery is not always good. Everyone else is pretty good, either on par or around their jp counterparts. I do prefer 9s' eng dub voice which I didn't expect because hanae natsuki.

The characters that matter sound good in dub

>choose English voice track
>still uses the Japanese voices lip movements
I know it's a nitpick, but it drives me nuts

It's pretty good but I prefer the original.

You can judge voice acting without knowing what they're saying, there's more into acting than reading lines. Both casts give their best performances in game, however the characterizations and localization in the English dub are kinda shoddy.

For example 2B is meant to be emotionless with a monotone, robotic voice. However in the English dub 2B comes off more as irritated rather than emotionless. You can argue if it's "better" all you want, it's not the creators original intention for 2B to have that tone.

I'm not dissing the English dub, I agree that 9S' performance is amazing. Doesn't change the fact that some characterizations are misinterpreted.

this also bugs me. The game focuses on its characters/story a lot so its a bummer and immersion killer when the dub voices don't match the lips

Just like the original Nier, superior to the Japanese voices.

>subs are based on the dub instead of the original audio
>2B is a sarcastic asshole for no reason
When will this meme end?

I think A2 and her pod worked better in english

>hopeless "oh no..." when the Goliaths surround them in the tutorial is replaced by "OH, GREAT!"

2B was awful but I enjoyed 60 and Eve's dub a lot. But in no way does this dub overtake Alucard/Kotomine Kirei being N2, what a great moment the Tower was.

It's well above FF0 tier.

6O nerd, not 60

>What do you think of the English dub?
I don't know I play the German dub.

This.

Oh my fucking god

>I'll kill you!
>Heh, that's my line, kid.
*phase shifts behind you*/10

It's not the worst, but I'd still recommend playing with the Japanese audio if you can manage to follow the subtitles comfortably.

Japanese voice acting is simply not carried into English easily.

It's good but not as good as the original. I'm not fond of this weird passive-aggressive tone for 2B. I like her pod, though. DC Douglas sounds like Legion with that filter.

At first, acceptable. Then english 9S really sells his character's despair. It all sounded genuine and not like acting. Perhaps 2B's and A2's actresses could have done something similar, but the nature of their characters didn't give them a whole lot of opportunity to emote. A2 got a touch of development to work with at least. English vocals of songs were great to hear

No idea if this was also the case in the Nip dub but hearing Pascal's voice then having to reconcile that with being a "male" machine in-universe was jarring. Did they want to give him a childish voice to match his initial innocence? If so I think they went too far and made him sound too feminine. Obviously the VA was female and that's common to get women to voice young boys but that took me out of it too much.

There's a part of me that would have liked to see 2B have her emotions seep out a bit more but that would have also undermined the resolve of her character and tragedy of the situation. I'm told that jap 2B comes off as more curt than cold. If I was bilingual I wonder if I would have liked the original better, but all in all I thought the dub was fine.

and English Pod 042 is my nigga

Pascal uses feminine sentences enders in the Japanese version. Not sure they ever refer to him by gender in the original.

girlchan

Callme a faggot but i cant hAppyly bring myself to kill the forest robot anymore

Localization ran 2B through the meat grinder through no reason. 9S and A2 were great though.

>2B's VA is Kira Buckland aka Rina-chan
>the girl who did the VA work for S00P4H N!N10D'OH and all those other mid/late 00's newgrounds videos is a real voice actress hired by Square-Enix

Got thrown for a loop when I saw that, but good on her. I guess all that bullshit paid off in the end.

2B is acceptable, 9S is fucking amazing and so is Pod 042. I love A2 too fucking much to have an objective opinion about her voice, so fuck whoever didn't like her dub.

>ywn quite realize how beautiful this world is

>9s sounds like lowenthal but is not him
Only good english are Emil and Devola/Popola

I like the dub, I don't understand why people prefer Japanese voices in games. Even if the voices are bad I usually just laugh at it

Very well done, any hiccups in the acting I felt had more to do with the writing than the actors.

They all did a fantastic job, so, props.

I thought Weskerbot and 9S were really good

the english voice actors are streaming the game atm
twitch tv/kylemccarley

I think reading video games is 10x more retarded than reading anime

why did this make me laugh so much

I think it's really cool that these VA's are chill enough to hang with each other like this, cant think of any Jap VA's who hang out

Way better than Drakengard 3's dub/10

They probably voted for Hillary. No point in wasting my time.

>9s sounds like lowenthal but is not him

That's a plus because 9s actor can actually get some range in there when needed

i like it, shame it doesnt have a mexican dub

>people playing in nip are mean to me :__:::

The only good this about the dub is Pod, but that's just because I can't stand its original VA for whatever reason

The jp voice actors for blazblue had that talk show and they seemed to be good friends with each other.

>tfw you will never ever be as good friends with anyone as Sugita and Imagine-chan

yep
it's really hard to keep track of subs during combat

Fucking beaner

>2B going AYYYY PAPI

>cheesing the guardian with hacking
9s was a mistake

Silly shitskin

>2Burrito
>9Salsa

>only good one is pod
>not also 9S
>not also Pascal
>not also A2

I played the game with the jap dub for maybe one hour, then switched to english and never went back.
Fuck japan and their gay ass shit acting. Every character in every anime/game sounds the same.

Pascal sounds the exact same in both tracks you retarded faggot.

>anyone caring about Mexico

It's actually pretty good. Maybe even bettere the the original jap

Pretty much all of the Newgrounds voice acting old guard is doing professional work now, and now that the voice actor strike is still going they are getting even more work than before because they arent being entitled brats.

She's good as 2B though.

bad

robots are good though

Need opinions of native burgers, really curious to see if I can judge voice acting of a secondary language

>2B was kinda meh at some points and the bad delivery ruined immersion at some points
>9S was stellar when despairing or when mad

2B is complete shit, don't listen to her legions of fans because of some flash game or whatever. She ruined the whole dub for me with her monotone bitch voice.

Personally I thought most of the cast were pretty good particularly 9S, but Adam and Eve were kinda shit

The VA Strike doesn't affect anime shit

>She's good as 2B though.
lol

Pretty much. 9S, while I don't like that he sounds a discount Yuri Lowenthal, is a 10/10 wise. 2B on the other hand is a train wreck whos delivery and script blatantly disregards how the character is meant to behave.

Shes supposed to be deadpan though

That's her character, shes purely logical and only there to deal with 9S and you can hear how her voice changes over time even when she dies

ignoring the mediocre voice acting the dialogue was also changed.

>voice actor strike
>companies forced to find new talent instead of rehashing the same few actors everywhere.
Feels good desu. Its not like the actors striking are particularily talented to begin with.

the english va makes her sound like a bitch

A2 is a hotter voice

They did an objectively poor job since they changed 2B's personality.

>my insecurities about women make me think anyone dismissive is a bitch

Fixed that for you

Except there's a whole audio track directly approved by Taro where she isn't a negative nancy all the time, and often quite warm towards 9S, like when she calmly tells him to not call her ma'am as if she doesn't want him to be formal.

Japanese 2B sounds like a real girl who happens to be a killer combat droid. That's what the character is, not "I AM KILLER DROID. DONT CALL ME MA'AM REEE."

There's also the scenes or lines where she completely gets the meaning wrong, likeThere was nothing to indicate she was meant to be sarcastic and joking while about to be killed by Goliaths, except that's what the dub went with.

>Speaks monotone
>What a bitch

>NO PUEDE CONTINUAR

just doesn't have the same ring to it

9S sounds pretty bad when he's screaming. Like when 2B dies, he just makes a bunch of awkward noises.

Oh cool.
They're voicing 9S' and 2B's voices in all the sections where they're not officially voiced like all the sidequest dialogue.

Gonna watch their playthrough now.

What I get from dub 2B is that she's trying to stay emotionally distant from 9S because she knows what's going to happen and how bad it's going to hurt when it does if she gets attached.

She's not emotionless or cold, she's just suppressing her feelings about 9S because of the above. I feel like the dub gets that across better

>When you realize she's saying "emotions are prohibited" to herself

>"Man what a low budget game, this isn't even voiced"
>The VAs do it for free on YouTube anyway

2B unfortunately strayed from playing it cool and neutral to playing it a bit too gruff. This might be because they do recordings out of context, so they might tell her to be cold but instead of just sounding disinterested, she sounds just a little contemptuous or annoyed, almost. Little things like when they're on the coaster and 9S implies he wants to be called Nines, the way she says "I'm good" seems less impersonally dismissive and more put-off, like she's being annoyed by him. Then when they're in the forest and she lets "Nines" slip out, that came off less as something slipping out and more like she was intentionally trying to force herself to say "Nine....zzz." In fact I think that's how the subtitles read, "Nine...ze." I actually think it's more a flaw in direction and translation.

9S' performance goes from good to "I can actually feel what the character is feeling, it's delivered so well"

Is this game even good?

>the way she says "I'm good" seems less impersonally dismissive and more put-off, like she's being annoyed by him
given the reality of their relationship, isn't that exactly what you'd expect her to sound like? She isn't dismissing him because she's aloof, she doesn't want to get close to him because she knows what's going to happen.

no.

Pretty good except for 2B.

9S genuinely sounded like he was going bonkers at times, but his Jap VA was much better at autistic screeching.

>some flash game or whatever
???

I'm glad you enjoyed it and pretty much every other dub voice fit their JP counterparts to me. But even if it gets that across better, it still feels weird to me since the voices the original team behind the game chose are so completely different.

And it was more downright "I'm pissed" rather than "I'm emotionless", it sounded like she could hardly give a shit about 9S half the time they were walking together and was a few comments away from just stabbing him because he was being annoying. That's how overdone her "rude" voice was to me.

Yea especially when he died.
The JP dub there really got to me there. Really distraught me.

Combat is leaps and bounds improvement over nier and draken 3
History is the same as any taro game, you need to get all ending and most of the side quest to get to lnow the plot and the chracters

So if you like a game tl intantly give you all plot and or dislike replay, you will hate the game

Daily reminder Kira Buckland is the english voice.

i speak weeb and jap dub is superior, they hired a lot of famous VA's like meguca maduca

So this might sound crazy but I swear to god my controller kept disconnecting exactly when I get hit by a bullet during the Credits boss.

I thought it was a coincidence but I tested it 10+ times and it kept happening.

Could Taro really be that crazy?

it wasn't bad, but the ENG VA put more emotion into playing as 2B when she was supposed to be distant to 9S at the beginning

literally who

The way va industry works in japan ensures that even no big names dontheir fucking best to be n git gud