Sonic Advance Discussion

So how do these games compare to the original Sega Genesis/MegaDrive titles?

Which one is generally considered to be the best one?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_PCz6oHMd0Y
youtube.com/watch?v=MfujuAK9FXA
youtube.com/watch?v=xotVDDH7SPs
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

bump.

How do I even play them anymore in 2017?

Personally I think Advance 1 is the best 2D Sonic game.

youtube.com/watch?v=_PCz6oHMd0Y

Advance 2 sucks. Advance 3 is ambitious but always feels really limited by the size of the screen.

Japan got them on the WiiU Virtual Console. I'm really jealous.

They might be in publishing-rights hell here since THQ helped publish.

Usually, Sonic Advance 2 is considered the best. In all honesty, it depends on which gameplay style you prefer, since the first game is practically a homage to the classic series (yet advances it more than Sonic 4) while Advance 2 and 3 were more speed oriented like the later Rush series (though 3 has some weird design choices) and more experimental level themes.
Personally I like 1 the most, but I haven't played 2 yet (it's the only one I haven't played, though I did play Ultimate Flash Sonic, which is based on it).
The soundtrack of all three is pretty good too.

If you don't have a gba/nds, you can play them on emulator on pc and hacked psp.
I'm pretty sure you can play them on hacked 3ds and vita as well, but I can't say for sure.

The fastest way would just be emulate them on PC.

Why do you think its the best 2D Sonic?

if you thought the Genesis FoV was claustrophobic then you haven't seen anything yet

They're too different from eachother for one to be considered the best
The closest thing to a concensus i've seen is that Advance 3 is the worse because of the plataforming that stops your speed and some dickish spikes placement, although i think Advance 3 is the best of the bunch
My top 3 of 2(.5)D Sanics is Sonic 3&K > Advance 3 > Colors DS

Without question, Sonic Advance 3 had the best special stages.

1 was great. 2 was too fast and the boss fights sucked. 3 was nice that it focused more on exploration and platforming and the ability to team up and get new abilities was nice. But again. The boss fights sucked.

Advance 3 is definitely the one I put the most time into. All its stages, the collectible Chao, and the partner mechanic gave it way more replay value than the other two. Advance 1 is probably overall the more well-designed game though, and closer to the classics. It's the closest thing we had to an actual "Sonic 4" until Mania debuted.

Advance 1 was pretty mediocre. Haven't played 2 and 3 yet.

You can play them all on 3DS if you hack yours.

Thoughts on the Dark Brotherhood?

It had potential, but ended up failing for the most part.

I love Sonic Advance 2 but it's lonely.

>All touchscreen gameplay

It's shit

We could have had something fun like Super Mario RPG but noooo

>We could have had something fun like Super Mario RPG

Damn, I was all set on buying a used copy at my local game store for $10. Is it even worth that?
Has there been any other attempts to make an RPG Sanic?

no
no

Sonic advance 1 and 2 really revived my interest in the sonic series. They captured some of the charm that the first 3 sonic games
had. Conversely, I found the DS games absolute trash.

I think another game that could have been relatively close to a Sonic RPG would have to be the canned game based off the SatAM cartoon
youtube.com/watch?v=MfujuAK9FXA

>We could have had something fun like Super Mario RPG but noooo
If Black Knight wasn't such ass it would have been the perfect Sonic RPG. Upgradeable weapons and skills, multiple playable characters, side quests, larger focus on combat, while still retaining the fast-paced action the series is known for.

Don't be stupid. I was lucky enough to sell my new copy at fucking Gamestop after playing that shit for only a few days. Thankfully I bought a better RPG game instead.

I really like this game. Its probably my favourite 2D sonic.
The part where you are climbing on the penultimate level feels fantastic and the game generally feels really nice. The other advances added weird gimmicks which weretn quite as fun.

Until a month ago, I had no idea the moon zone even existed

Advance 1 is the best of the three. It's not quite as good as the classic games or Mania, but it's close, and could possibly be better than 1 or CD depending on your opinion of those two. It's probably the most boring of the three, but ends up being the best because it does the fewest things wrong.

Advance 2 has a shit-ton of speed but the level design does not keep up, resulting in it being the only non-Game Gear game in the franchise where "screen too small" is a legitimate complaint. A 427x240 patch would do it wonders and bump it up over Advance 1.

Advance 3 should be the best on paper but has the worst level design, and the hub world fucking sucks. If you can look past those you'll enjoy it the most, but those are some pretty big issues.

fuck Advance 2, holy shit unlocking amy is just impossible I can't into the special stages at fucking ALL.

I have tried and fucking tried and I can't git gud enough to even get one fucking emerald. And it's such a fucking hassle to get to the special stages after failing one.

ow my ears

They're worse than CD and 3 but much better than 1 and 2

Advance 1 a best and is the best 2D game after 1 2 and 3K
2 and 3 I didn't really care for but I should really give them another chance
Also honourable mention to Sup Forums's game Battle because I had it in a 2 in 1 cart with Advance

I always liked this song

youtube.com/watch?v=xotVDDH7SPs

My favorite was 2 and was the only "boost" game done right. Legit hard sonic game if you want to go fast but man if you got gud then you was flying through the stages.

I remember when SAdv3 came out leaked and I though it was a legit hoax. It wasn't. The game was a step back in almost every department save for music. SAdv1 is a classic the most solid and fair title imo but 2 is my favorite even with flaws considered,

Thanks for the responses anons. I appreciate it.

Sonic Advance 1, while carrying over trends from Classic Sonic pretty much every other 2d Sonic game after it failed to do, had extremely bland level design and generally wasn't fun to play. Advance 2 is generally hold right to win and Advance 3 is trash.

because he's an idiot

>hold right to win

yeah if winning is dying over and over

Forgive me. Hold right and jump.

Wow so playing sonic! So funny!

nope. the classics were much more intricate than Sonic Advance 2.

>all these people saying Advance 1
>played 2 first and 1 always felt sluggish in comparison

3 > 2 > 1

The first one is a worthy successor to the Mega Drive games. The physics aren't as good (how could they be without blast processing?) but the level design is Sonic level design. Advance 2 and 3 are where is starts spiralling down. They're still a lot better than that Rush rubbish, but the level design takes a turn for the 'gotta go fast' and the bosses become an annoying chore. They're not entirely without worth but the only one I'd seriously recommend is the first.

Definitely I agree. Thats the sacrifice of raising the speed so high but unlike the later boost games especially the ones in 3d the stages still had some depth and paths were more than the places you fell through to the bottom when missing split second platforming. This game has a good balance for a speed centric sonic.

Anything else to say?

I found Sonic Advance 1 to be the weakest entry.

Sonic Advance 2 is my favorite and I spent countless hours just getting a little bit faster

Sonic Advance 3 doesn't surpass 2 but it's just as fun and the replaybility is off the charts thanks to the various team combos to tackle each stage differently.

The series in general is built with Time Attacking in mind. If you absolutely adore going back and redoing a stage to shave off a second or two, then they will last you a life time. If you just want a linear adventure from point a to point b then they'll be just alright.

The diversity in opinions is pretty interesting.

Sonic Advance 2 is my favorite because it actually made speed feel natural in a Sonic game.

Unfortunately every other attempt basically took it too far, allowing you to go hyper speed at the push of a button. You also weren't invincible in Sonic Advance 2 and had to be cognizant even when traveling at speed.

Also I liked the split routes in that game.

Each one of the games has things it does the best and things it does the worst, so it really just comes down to what each person prefers.

If I was to guess I would say the people who prefer Advance 1 are the people who prefer Adventure, and the people who prefer Advance 2 are the people who prefer Unleashed.

Advance 1 is decent but quality drops near the end,Advance 2 focuses on speed and the bosses are kinda annoying unless you use cheese and the level design and physics are a bit worse but it's fine. Advance 3 however can kiss my fucking ass that game's level design is piss poor.

A1 - If you want Sonic 4
A2 - If you want balls to the wall need for speed
A3 - If you want exploration

Yup, for me at least. Favorite 3d game is Unleashed and favorite Advance is 2.

Why?

Sonic Advance 1 seems like your average platformer while Sonic Advance 2 is "gotta go fast" the game while 3 is a gimmick title that needed more time in the development oven.

Why the fuck do you have to bring unleashed/adventure shit posting into this thread?

Advance series gets ignored enough. We don't need this shit flinging discussion brought up. Fuck off.

So SA1 is the closest to the the original titles?

I love the three games.

When I'm outside and I get bored, I'm always end up playing Sonic Advance 1 on my phone (it's an Android with a qwerty keyboard).

Also, the ost are top notch.

Do you really need me to spell it out for you? I don't think I can make it anymore obvious.

Yes, by far.

Sonic Advance 2 is my favorite Sonic Advance (and third favorite Sonic overall) but I actually don't really like Unleashed (if only judged by speed Sonic).