Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=J2rG-mTfelE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

shoot it until it dies

You're fucking trash if you can't beat it. Describe your loadout

um, crystal ship?

Type A or B?

A

A number of the large enemy ship's weapon control rooms don't have any crew access

If you teleport your own crew inside to disable them, the enemy crew has no way to repair these

Literally firebombs and any normal damaging lasers/beams/whatever, that's it

Try buying a Burst Laser MKII while keeping your main two weapons. Upgrade shield and engines. Try to buy cloak as well. Don't focus on Droids or boarding too much.

shoot at it until it dies

Okay I'm gonna rephrase my question, how do i get enough firepower as well as a good enough ship to the final sector?

the key to winning is having good boarding party early on in the game. you get more scrap metal by taking over a ship plus you can disable most of the boss's weapons this way

Don't waste scrap repairing, spend as much time in each sector as possible, get lucky with the stores. Lots of luck

evasion>shields, get engines and shit as high as you can
cloak is a godsend to avoid the surges
some sort of teleporting bomb is nice to have to disable key systems

also fuck you, I still haven't gotten me my crystal ship

>easy/normal
Get a teleporter/boarder and take out the missile launcher first. Then the fights are trivial

>hard
turtle the fuck up and get the fucking vulcan

Yeah that was pure luck, especially considering I haven't killed the boss on easy

Go to as many points in a sector as possible and use nebulas to slow down the rebel fleet. Don't spend your scrap on stupid shit like in subsystems your loadout doesn't need or you can compensate with crew management. You have to make do what you get, there's no quarantee you'll get strong enough weapons from shops to take the flagship head on so you have to adapt by using drones, cloak, teleporters, missiles, etc. And in the flagship fight itself, just like in any other fight, find a way to get those weapons down. DO NOT kill the whole flagship crew, the AI will take over and fuck your shit.

Max training with pilot and engines, use zoltans since they give free energy, get the doubko shot rocket launcher and a scrap cannon, stealth and clonebay, if you can find weapon preigniter good, if not, weapon reloaders, the thing with the boss is to survive both their super barrages and their 3 missile shooty since they're aids, you can also get hack or mind control someone in the closed rooms.

>drones
Only the anti-missle mk1 is good
The mk2 shoots at fucking plasma spheres if they come in before rockets

>zoltan
>pilot
literally worthless
there's no power required for the pilot subsystem

my first win was with a Zoltan ship, they're great
just looked at this screenshot and realized it starts with 2012. What the fuck

Was mostly thinking of offensive drones, but yeah it'd be great if you could choose targeting priorities for mk2 drones since shields can tank those plasma balls anyway.

>almost ded urself

the trick isn't beating the boss, it's not playing like a retard and managing to have enough weapons/systems/upgrades from a run to confront it

if you're dying to the final boss it's a reflection of you doing poorly throughout the run

also teleport + mind control makes the boss fight a literal guaranteed win on easy/medium difficulties

I remember once having several ion pulses and just disabling their oxygen until they all died.
Is that still viable?

It's better to restart the game if you still didn't have cloak at final sector.

And burst laser mk2 and/or any teleporting bomb helps A LOT.

Don't do that. The ship AI will replace those crew and it will slaughter you mercilessly.

>Buy stealth
>Four shields
>Scrap cannon and lasers
>Kill the guy manning the missile thing
>Start fires
>Pray when the burst of his second face starts, is bullshit
I think that's it

Rockets are the worst weapons in the game. You're literally burning scrap every time you fire one, whereas lasers are free. And all it takes is to run into a ship with a single defense drone and you're fucked.

boarding > lasers > rockets

Boarding is best because you get way more scrap, higher chances for augment/weapon/crew rewards, as well as additional blue options that aren't possible from destroyed ships. Boarding, however, is hard to pull off even for experienced players and a downright deathtrap for newbies. The real skill with boarding is knowing when to avoid a fight altogether, since you'll be getting so much scrap from previous boarding fights you can afford to skip a few.

It works on a lot of enemies (not the boss, or drones, or Lanius) but it's slow and boring.

You always need an option other than boarding
>AI-controlled ships
>lanius
spamming boarding drone is viable against AI ships
but takes a looong time

1. Get cloaking
2. ??????
3. You win

Rockets are really good late game if you find that teleporting one that disables systems or pegasus missile

>Try buying a Burst Laser MKII

FTL in a nutshell.

Seriously, weapons are hilariously imbalanced. Some are viable, most are not.

Yes, having viable alternatives to combat is preferrable, but when you're starting out it's better to focus as hard as you can on shields + boarding. Luxuries such as expensive/additional weapons and system upgrades come later.

Not really. Med bay is low priority, he still has 50% hull strength, and his weapon system has only have taken minor damage

Against AI-ships medbay + lvl2 teleporter allows you to tele in and out 100hp crew, wreck systems and tele back without dying. You can take out shields and kill the ship with any shit 1 power weapon you have. Cloak might fuck you up though.

Love that picture
>firebomb
>teleporter
>rock crew
The fucking best

Rockets are good late game but inefficient as fuck while trying to sift through the fights leading up to the boss. They just aren't worth it. I always, always, ALWAYS sell my rocket weapon in the rock cruiser for a laser or teleporter first chance I get.

just a little warning: try other tactics because the boarding tactic DOES NOT WORK on hard, so you can prepare yourself for that

He meant boarding in the sectors leading up to the final boss. Even on hard boarding is the best way to mass scrap and weapons.

missile weapons that are worth it (imho)

Pegasus missile
Ion bomb
Breach bomb mkII

first has a high chance for fire and breach as well as ability to partially bypass defense drones and deals great damage for its energy
second is the biggest amount of 1 energy disruption you're liable to find and fits in pretty much every loadout
third deals a lot of damage and guaranteed breach ensures it takes ages to repair

that's true, just a friendly warning that the teleport strategy isn't an easy win on hard against the boss so you need at least a good loadout lockout the boss missiles

Ion bomb is a good alternative to mind control, since it allows you to disable medbays while your mantis/rock boards fuck their crew up.

However, ion bomb isn't a missile... It's a bomb. Missiles are shit because they can miss, be shit down, and collide with asteroids/lasers/drones. Bombs either hit or miss. Bombs are good support no matter what main weapons you use.

Then you get to the last stage with the shield that makes everything useless.

ion deals double damage against shields so ion bomb remains useful
pegasus missile deals a crapton of damage so again its useful, especially because you don't need to save missiles at this point
only one that has limited use is the breach bomb mk II, but there is the "bypass zoltan shield" augment which allows bombs to bypass it (as well as teleporter) at which point the breach MKII becomes fantastic

ah okay, minor confusion then, I thought you were talking about all the rocket utilizing weapons which includes bombs

As a random dude who passed through, I noticed a lot being thrown about shields and engines.

Which better? Dodge chance, or max shields?

Ideally both
Shields are good early, dodge is better and more accessible late (since it scales with pilot/engine skill)

What's the most disgusting ship setup you've gotten.
>tfw you get an Engi A setup with 2 Ion Cannons Mk II, 2 Attack Drones Mk 1/2 and a Defense Drone Mk II

Both are good, maxing out shields is never bad but engines lose their cost/performance ratio at the higher levels. If you can afford it, sure, go for it, but usually it's better to prioritize other systems when you hit 40% evasion. (cloaking adds 60%, so you're guaranteed to dodge everything when you cloak at 40% evasion)

Ideally at the final boss you'd want max shields and as high evasions as possible.

4 max melee level mantises with 4 slot teleporter.

Is the Lanius cruiser type B really good? When i use it, i always beat the flagship with it

Scrap 2, Ion bomb and Glaive Beam with the weapon pre-igniter

That alpha strike was retarded

honestly 3 shields is sufficient for the final boss

shield 4 is horribly inefficient in scrap usage, you're often better off investing that in weapons

Not pictured: automated reloader, weapon pre-igniter. And this was on Normal.

vulcan is literally the least efficient weapon to use with pre-igniter though

>2 vulcans
The madman

Its actually good though. It removes the long as fuck spool up time

They could be basic laser 1

I recall reading some maths about engine cost effectiveness at higher levels, that basically said the more dodge you have the more useful each additional point of dodge you get is. The exaggerated example is being at 98% dodge. Going to 99% halves the amount of hits you take, from 2/100 to 1/100. A very significant change just from 1% increase. Going from 1% dodge to 2% is a miniscule decrease on hits taken, though it also only increased by 1%.

Obviously these are outlandish examples, but the point is that more dodge when you're at 50% is more significant than at 10%. Whether it's better than shields is still a question, but don't dismiss it out of hand just because the percent got smaller.

*Teleports into your oxygen room

They drain it so slowly it really doesnt matter.

Now if you teleport TWO in there, then thats a problem.

Thats why you use the layout B of lanius cruiser. The ship is well-designed and stats are total BS

Use the layout B of the crystal cruiser, there is literally no way you can lose with it, unless you lose your boarding crew.

Is flak the most powerful weapon ever made?

Git Gud.

Open all the doors in the tutorial for secret boss win

FTL is GOAT for playing while listening to podcasts

Favorite set up you've ever managed?

One time I managed:
>4 x Burst Laser mk II
>Weapon Pre-Igniter

Jesus Christ it was fucking glorious

Double gatling guns
Gatling gun/flak cannon

There are other ways to beat the boss using your brain and shit, but the simple "shoot it until it dies" works best for me.

>Run out of fuel.

>through some miracle of the cosmos got my hands on two chain vulcans
>literally on the very next jump got caught by rebels and chewed to pieces by artillery

Vulcan is a meme weapon. It takes too long to activate in my opinion. Also it gets knocked out very easily if your weapons room takes damage because it takes so much power. Better have some burst lasers and be ready to fire a big volley ~10 seconds into the fight.

Is there never going to be a FTL2?

It's a possibility in the long term. Right now I'm just looking forward to their next game.

>See this thread.
>Decide to play FTL on my GPD Win for a few hours on the sofa for maximum comfy
>Have a stressful easy mode run where everything that can go wrong will go wrong
>Manage to struggle through a whole galaxy with one crew member left. Got boarded constantly and never got any scrap.
>Died instantly in the next galaxy only got about half way through the campaign.
>Do second run immediately.
>Get given weapons, drones and scrap galore because enemies give up all the time.
>Get to same point, but have 4 crew members, Zultan shield, attack and anti-personnel drones, Vulkan, Fire bomb, Ion canon 2 and another rapid fire weapon.

Could this finally be it guys? The run I beat the game with for once?
Or will RNGesus fuck me over once more?

They have a next game?

Trailer:
youtube.com/watch?v=J2rG-mTfelE

so it's like an SRPG?