Japanese auteur game directors

>japanese auteur game directors
kojima
kamiya
taro
arguably suda51

>western auteur game directors
phil fish

why are there no singular visions in western games?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vgaYe4ZYYyY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

you make a good point
there is no single recognizable MODERN western developer, but there are plenty of japanese devs are who are recognizable.

western gaming used to be that way (john carmack), but that's no more

CliffyB

>western auteur game directors
>phil fish
LOL

>kojima
>kamiya
>taro
>suda51

>"""game directors"""

Excuse me user. Movies aren't video games. You've made a bit of mistake in your wording.

What about people like metzen on kaplan

the term auteur doesn't say anything about quality. like or dislike fez, it is 100% phil fish's vision

enlighten me on the proper term

>Taro
>Anything but a hack fraud that weebs try to prop up as deep

jap games aren't better than western games.

weebs and japs are simply much more vocal about their autism.

I think that what made Phil Fish say japanese dev suck ass at the game conference
he was vexed to be a no name

Glorifying game directors is extremely pathetic though.

For starters, when I consider a product a game, I consider that to be something that shouldn't be comprised of 50 hours of cutscenes. It comes from this crazy notion that you should be playing a video game, not watching it.

Kojima in particular is guilty of this to an extreme degree.

you've failed to provide for me a term other than director

thats Miyazaki

Taro owns his hack nature

because western games are being made by corporate committee for the mainstream audience instead of by a singular lead dev with a vision for the game and a target audience he feels secure will pay for it when he's got it made.

I'd consider them businessmen instead of directors. The latter implies that they actually got their hands dirty and enacted some form of quality control.

Kinda like how Keiji Inafune is a businessman.

>No Western names

Who is Todd?

>I'd consider them businessmen instead of directors.

>phil fish

why should i reply to your thread when it is so obviously biased?

Put miyazaki on the list.

But you just did

Unless you'd like to imply that cinematic experiences like Metal Gear have any quality control and aren't just movies pretending to be games, there's nothing wrong with that statement.

Do the directors have to be popular? there's plenty on the indie scene outside of Phil Fish.

Also the the directors from classic PC games, like Chris Avellone, Ron Gilbert, Tim Schafer, Warren Spector and Roberta Williams.

I personally like the two weebs from Sukeban Games, but I don't know if spics count as as western.

see

That's not an argument.

Metal Gear is as gamey as it gets. Find me something like The End in any other game.

>their games are movie games because they have a lot of cutscenes
you completely miss the part where these games also have tons of actually great gameplay

there is nothing wrong with a game like mgs3 having shittons of cutscenes that are skippable anyway. A movie game is something like the last of us, which's only selling point are the cutscenes and othervise only have some generic unmemorable tps gameplay.

Oh... NOOOOOOOOOOO-

Chris Avellone isn't a director if i remember it right.

If the gameplay cannot survive without story being shoved in your face every 5 seconds, then the gameplay isn't good. The very presence of the cutscenes, therefore, tarnishes the gameplay even if it's skippable.

A marathon runner shouldn't be using crutches after all.

Haven't you forgotten someone?

you never had one. So shut the fuck up

Kojima is a pretty mediocre game director desu. Same with Taro - he had to get help with platinum and even then automata has plenty of flaws.

Kamiya and Suda51 are pure gameplay, fuck off

I pirated Fallout 4 and that game was shit. I want my money back, Todd.

>If the gameplay cannot survive without story being shoved in your face every 5 seconds
But it can. When Metal Gear fans replay the games we skip the cutscenes most of the time. The game actually rewards you for doing so - there are many achievements and what not you can earn by playing through the game quickly or in specific ways that will unlock new gear for future playthroughs.

Who is this handsome devil?

>the game he wasn't involved in has nearly worse everything
HMM

Too much money, they can't possibly let an artist take complete charge of a multi-million dollar product
Rather video games are created by a committee of businessmen working loosely with creators

western auteurism died around the time Diakatana came out

>But it can. When Metal Gear fans replay the games we skip the cutscenes most of the time.
Then why are the cutscenes there in the first place? if the gameplay was so good, then those moments are actively ruining the gameplay by forcing you to skip them constantly.

which game

He directed Dark Souls 3

tales from earthsea

heh

all those guys have been in the business a long ass time. phil just made something once.

also, fucking kojima made a new genre and made it GOOD. phil ain't doing that even if we gave him 1000 years

>Then why are the cutscenes there in the first place?
To tell an engaging story. And no, your precious Metroid does not tell an engaging story. We had this discussion before and I blew the fuck out of your autism then.

you are fucking retarded
You are literally crying about additional content. The gameplay of most games these devs made is outstanding already, having some wacky story is just the icing on the cake.

They have complexity, they are unique, they are well designed in plenty of way. You can't compare these to your avarage movie games with generic walking simulator/shooting gallery gameplay.

a lot of the cool western devs just kinda faded away

>Responding to ACfag seriously
You should stop

A sequel to dark souls 2 also the 3rd in a series.He also directed bloodborne.

Because they're not autists triggered by having to press start every once in a while.

Okay, but consider this - most games made in Japan are fucking uninspired, same-y garbage. Fucking Kojima is even trying to get into Hollywood and wasting millions on "talent", rather than making a good GAME.

Meanwhile, in the west, you've got CDPR, Obsidian, Id Software, Rockstar and a huge indie scene.

Warren Spector, just so I can post this.

In AAA development, the west has less auteurs and more "company mouth pieces". Todd Howard, Cliffy B, Jeff Kaplan, Chris Metzen, the two Johns from id's Doom days. These guys were pretty heavily involved in their games development, but not really to the degree of being an auteur. They were just super vocal, and became a face for their game or company.

I think the closest shit you'll find in the west is among indie devs, by virtue of them working on their games largely alone or in really small teams. Our big publishers in the west are fucking pussies, and would never let one person have Kojima-levels of free reign on a project.

Is he working on anything I kinda miss the dude's work

>Friendship ended with Konami
>Now Kamiya my best friend.

>John Carmack
>auteur

That word doesn't mean what you think it means. Either that or you don't know much about John Carmack.

>CDPR
>Western

So let me try and understand this:

>the games are amazing
>but they're so boring that they need story to keep the player going, or they'll lose interest entirely, despite supposedly having good gameplay
>these cinematics can't be made interactive, or they would be too videogamey, and it would be too much work
>videogames shouldn't have too much interaction, despite that being the entire core concept of the medium
>it's okay to blow through several million dollars on expensive CGI and voice actors, thus driving up the budget of the game, because it helps make it more "artistic"

Honestly, if I didn't know any better, I'd say you guys idolize Phil Fish with that attitude. More importantly, I feel that these "directors" have forgotten what medium they're in, and why they shouldn't just make everything a hallway simulator connected by cutscenes.

are you seriously this fucking stupid?

>"ames shouldn't have a story at all, characters, personalities, etc
because why? Play fucking pacman if additional stories for game frustrate you this much, there is nothing wrong with adding extra values to something that's already good.

I think you mean amateur

If you want a non-interactive story, go read a book. This is why people hate western devs, don't they? This medium is for gameplay, go to Sup Forums or /lit/ if you want something artistic.

>I DID IT
>I BEAT YOU
>AUTIST!!!

Your ego is a little inflated right there

>Most [media] made in [place] are fucking uninspired, same-y garbage
Wow. Got a real original thinker here, it's not like Sturgeon's Law exist.

The West used to have a lot of notable and pioneering devs. Unfortunately there are no big faces right now except Todd, but Sup Forums hates open world games so...

I'd also argue people like Taro are more notable for their narratives than the games. Sort of like Suda51 in how his games are memorable, but the gameplay isn't all there.

HAHAHAHAHA

Why the fuck is obsidian even near that list, and it's not like it's a good list.

Literally-who hacks like Kojima and Taro have NOTHING on this triumvirate

Shut the fuck up and crawl back to your cuckshed ACfag

>but they're so boring that they need story to keep the player going

or

>the game is great
>why not make it even better with extra content
nah, that can't be, they HAVE TO BE SHIT, a game either has good gameplay or a good story, the two together is phisically impossible

also you don't know jackshit about game design. Creating characters, personalities and stories make the gameplay more engaging and are part of the rewarding-achieving systems of video game design.

>hallway simulator connected by cutscenes.
how much of a fucking casual are you? You literally haven't played any of these games.

Hi guys.

Considering one of those guys was shipping games on the PC-98 years before your poor mom front-shat you out, I don't think you're right.

Which one's Legend, who's Eidolon, and who's Alexandria?

who is the middle guy?

ah, yes. the book argument. now you can officially be classed as "completely retarded". Congratulations !

Learned a new word today

The anti-skippable cutscene haze is the worst trend in modern gaming.

The worse shit that Valve has ever done to gaming is the non-skippable cutscenes, makes replaying a fucking chore.

GET OUT OF HERE QUICK BEFORE THEY FIND YOU

>would never let one person have Kojima-levels of free reign on a project.

>john romero with daikatana
>will wright with spore
>peter molyneux with fable

The west has had its auteurs who had been given free reign to do whatever they want. The problem with these western devs was that they all failed when they were offered that freedom, while Kojima, besides the MGSV shitfest, succeeded time and time again.

No matter how you feel about Sean Murray, he got away with the heist of the century. I don't think anyone else in the game industry will match him for years to come.

>why not make it even better with extra content
Here's an idea: why not make that gameplay? More gameplay is always better. What does the story accomplish? Nothing. It drives up the cost of the game for some tumblr-tier personality development that adds nothing to the gameplay itself.

>nah, that can't be, they HAVE TO BE SHIT, a game either has good gameplay or a good story, the two together is phisically impossible
There's no such thing as a good story in a video game. People who write stories in this medium are essentially failed hack writers who couldn't make it into hollywood because ironically even they have higher standards.

>how much of a fucking casual are you? You literally haven't played any of these games.
Oh, I've played Metal Gear alright. Tell me, what significance does a scene like this have?

youtube.com/watch?v=vgaYe4ZYYyY

Does the ladder represent white privilege? Does the hallway represent starving afrikan children? Is the whole experience an abstract metaphor for post-colonial fascist dictatorships ala something you'd read on plebbit or neogaf?

Because it sure as hell isn't good gameplay-wise.

Honestly he's probably the closest thing to an auteur for western vidya, even if his games are a mess, at least they have something resembling a vision behind them.

Kojima and succeed don't mix. MGS franchise after Snake Eater went downhill because Fukushima was gone.

MGS4 was still mediocre despite having the best 'classic' MGS formula.
PO was hot garbage.
PW was mediocre.
TPP was immensely disappointing.

Because of the mentality that video games are not art but mere commercial products which is shared not only by publishers but also by the consumers. The Japanese are not so immature and understood long ago that video games can be a powerful artistic medium (obviously in a much different way than other media). Nowadays the "art games" you see from the West just try to emulate film in a very immature way, which is pretty funny considering the Japanese model has proven to be superior for many years.

Really? Not that other guy?

Except there is, user.

Kill yourself acfag.

>got away
Nigger he won't ever head a video game project again. It's all downhill for him, once the NMS money is gone he won't be able to support himself.

confused_and_sarcastic_viper.jpg

Whatever your opinion, the majority of the fanbase was content with those games, the games were financially successful, pulled in a lot of newcomers to the series, and kept a majority interested in sequels. Those western auteurs failed to do so.

TPP is the best game in the series, gameplay-wise.

And ironically, it is hated because the story is lackluster.

It literally shows that people care about story more than gameplay.

you know what she is kinda cute

>TPP is the best game in the series, gameplay-wise.
I'm not confident on that, myself.

>Nigger he won't ever head a video game project again
He doesn't need to - he retired in his 30s a multi millionaire.

It is though.

Would Chris Avellone and Sawyer count? I see their names tossed around a lot.

I think you are getting desperate user.

For you, sure.

>the majority of the fanbase was content with those games
Eh?
MGS4 is widely derided by even the most hardcore drones as having to much cutscenes.
PO is all but forgotten by the fanbase.
Even people who loved PW admit it's pretty subpar as far as the mechanics go.
I don't even need to talk about TPP, which split the fanbase in half.

He's the only one in the list that doesn't actually seem to think even remotely highly of himself. Definitely nowhere near what his fans think of him. IMO they all kind of suck in various ways, he's just the least played out and most actually honest of the lot by far. Kojima hasn't had a truly outstanding game since MGSIII Snake Eater IMO.