Is it a "you had to play it when it first came out" kind of deal...

Is it a "you had to play it when it first came out" kind of deal? Because after 4 hours of playing I finally left the first town and so far this really isn't that good.

no

>spending 4 hours in Goodsprings
what are you doing?
It takes you like 1 hour to do everything there including tutorials

it's really not that great, it's overrated on Sup Forums. At least it's better than fallout 3 and 4 but not by much.

>4 hours in the first town
What the fuck?
Also for some fun: go into console commands and double your speed. Get yourself a shotgun and fuck everything up.

>give legitimate and fair criticism of an overrated game on Sup Forums
>HAHA OH WOW YOU SPENT 4 HOURS IN THE TUTORIAL LEVEL THAT INSTANTLY INVALIDATES EVERYTHING YOU SAID user L2 GIT GUD

And you NVfags wonder why no one outside of this board takes you seriously.

The engine is dated, but the storyline is decent, the companions are interesting, the gun/ammo variation is wonderful.
The modding community have added a lot also.

It's a hell of a lot better than Brotherhood of Steel 2, oops, I mean "Fallout 3".

Yeah, this.

I actually took longer because I wanted to go around and gain more levels so I could get that Explosive bonus for Pete's dynamite and it still took me like an hour or so.

Got to New Vegas in like 4 hours or so too.

In a month you'll be saying man I got 230 hours in but it isn't really good.

>thinking his opinion matters when he just left the tutorial town
kys

The duder didn't tell you to get good, though. He just genuinely asked you what the fuck you were doing to spend four hours in the first town when that's really far outside of most people's experiences.

>I'm terrible at this game, therefore it's shit!

>you think it's shit because you're terrible at it

>How convenient! Fanboys!

It's a "you have to be deeply invested in the circlejerk" kind of deal. It was very dated and unstable even for the time. The only thing that really shines is the plot which is pretty great for a 3D RPG, though the lack or reaction to player action is pretty disappointing. It plays like a total conversion mod for FO3 and while it is fun if you like Bethesda-style wandering games it's really nothing special. It's one of those games that you play DESPITE the gameplay which is a real pity because some of the stories it tells are really quite good. If someone managed to port the whole thing into the FO4 gamebryo implementation using the FO4 gameplay implementation it would be a solid 8/10 but as it stands its a 6-7/10 like the other 3D Fallouts.

It picks up a little once you get to vegas.
It's a good game but it's very overrated imo.

It's a "you have to not be a mouthbreathing plebeian to enjoy it" kind of deal.

Pretty much this.

Solid 7/10 game, but not as good as the Sup Forums circlejerk will make you believe.

neogaf: the game + reddit:the expansion pack

thats why you probably dont like it.

when it first came out this game was unplayable

What I always did was Tag Explosives, Barter and Sneak just for the Goodsprings section. Then do my actual build when prompted to rebuild my character.

>4 hours to leave Goodsprings

OP, what the fuck are you doing?
You can do the quests in Goodsprings + tutorial in like 45 minutes or so. What the fuck were you doing that you spent 4 hours in Goodsprings?

Hell you can get to Novac/Boulder City in like 4 hours if you're going moderately slow even.

except it's a real RPG where skills mean everything (unlike bethesda games) and also the writing is VERY well done, and with DLC it's GOAT

it's a real Fallout game, unlike todd's "attempts"

I spent hours and hours replacing those lumpy shit hills in my game. It look so good and THEN IT BROKE!

Can you remind me how New Vegas's skill system qualitatively differs from Fallout 3's? I recall them being near-identical but it's been a while.

A lot of the writing beyond the plot itself rubbed me the wrong way, mostly character dialogue which seemed to vary wildly in quality. If you enjoyed it all I'm glad for you but I found the hit or miss nature of it very jarring.

>4 hours in the first town
nigger you what?

The kill system is basically the same, the difference is how the game treats you for it.
There's skill checks in most conversations with NPCs, ways to solve quests, etc.

you get the jist. NV is an RPG. 3 is a joke

Nice try todd you cant fool me. Im still not buying fallout 4.

I pit 120+ hours into Skyrim on PS3. Vanilla is not a good game.

Great with mods tho.

Didn't F3 have the same speech system as NV
The only difference was that F3 had a percentage rate system, for example if you're speech wasn't high enough the chances of you persuading someone would be like 25%.

Yes.

The problem was that first of all 3 had very few skill checks for few skills, NV has lots of them for most of the skills and usually more than one for each NPC dialogue/quest.

Congrats OP. You now understand why people call New Vegas a meme. And the answer is no, I played it when it first came out and had the exact same reaction.

I think the argument is more that NV had a LOT more skill checks in all manner of things than FO3 did.

They also wrote different dialogue for when you fail a check, which is worth a chuckle or two. Maybe.

It was also better written so you had choices that made sense in stead.

I mean, should i really need to bring up President Eden.

And they had Tard mode, even if it was bare bones.

Don't forget the low int built where all of the dialogues are babytalk just like in FO1 and 2.

are you a fucking dumb nigger or something? do you know what i say when i mean RPG? in NV, EVERYTHING revolves around your stats, how you try to overcome challenges depending on your different skills, SPECIAL, etc

the player MATTERS
his abilities MATTER
his choices MATTER

being able to tell the difference between 3 and NV is a simple pleb test

When did "meme" start meaning "popular thing I don't like"? I feel like I'm talking to my girlfriend and her friends. They're all six years younger than me, and they use words like "crunk" to describe how drunk they're getting. The first time I heard it it threw me for a loop because I think they were all high before they came to the bar.

It turns out that young people think the word means "crazy drunk".

Do you just hear or see words being used and then kind of extrapolate their meaning by inference? Is that how this happens?

So they're functionally identical but NV benefits from generally better writing? Like I said in my original post?

The whole "muh reel are pee gee muh reel fallout" argument is silly. If you like the game then you like it, but don't act like it's anything but more Fallout 3 with more engaging stories.

The problem with NV fags is they don't understand that the way that pic manifests, the differences are nearly infinitesimal to people doing 1 play-through of the game. Most people aren't going to play the game twice, especially after hours of NV's endless boring flat lands, hills, and copy pasted buildings.

>writing is VERY well done
>and with DLC it's GOAT
>ghouls on the moon
>endless hamfisted fo1 and 2 references
>bazinga the dlc
>muh bull and bear
Obsidiots everyone.

It's legitimately one of those games that gets better the farther you go. But desu, I wonder how highly rated NV would be without the DLC, cause those were the parts of the game I most remembered/loved.

>It turns out that young people think the word means "crazy drunk".

It this bait? That's literally what the word always meant. Even the original rappers that popularized the term admitted it.

t. 32 year old

Nice debunked image, faggot.

>you had to play it when it first came out
If you played that on the release date, you would be complaining about crazy amount of bugs and random crashes. Instead you trying to justify your stupidity and laziness by talking shit about actually good game that you know jack shit about just because it's popular and people having fun discussing it. Pathetic.

>Tag Explosives
Why? Having Easy Pete on your side makes the quest harder. I guess you can get some free items from the townspeople he kills with friendly fire tho.

it IS more. you're just a pleb

it's like playing the board game 'monopoly'

you can play with kids- they barely understand the concept, they don't follow the traditional rules, they steal the money, nothing matters

but then you play the way it's meant to be played, maybe even with a few house rules tweaks- there is a real fucking economy in the game, every move matters, progressing the board matters, the cards you draw have funny shit written in them and are well balanced, you actually need to use your brain to win, by cutting deals with other players and fucking them over, it's tense, it's well designed, it's well thought out

your argument is "b-but they're the same!"

you can make this argument with literally any linear game ever

where's the argument, dude?

then debunk it

I liked both, for completely different reasons.

No, the game simply isn't that good. Play something else.

Did it really always mean "crazy drunk"? Everyone I knew thought it meant "chronic drunk", which meant you'd been smoking a joint while drinking. I'm 30. Only context I ever heard the word used in.

>there is a real fucking economy in the game, every move matters
The delusion is palpable.

>he dosen't know about the hard pete boss fight that happens later in the game if you don't pass the explosives check
always tag explosives, kiddos

What? you asked a question of opinion, not criticism?

Now your mad some one asked a reasonable question in response?

Not even a NVfag but you sound like a cunt

>I mean, should i really need to bring up President Eden.
>Kys
>OK :(
Riveting dialogue, especially compared to your encounter with The Master in the first Fallout.

I felt the same way OP

Man, nobody is going to fall for the "Take It Easy, Pete" thing if the screenshot you use is one of him scaled up to the size of a mountain. That's from a retarded "balance" mod. In the base game the mission only starts after you kill Cannibal Johnson, and you need to pass an explosives check of 80.

the start is incredibly slow

To be 100% accurate It was literally an amalgamation of crazy drunk as verified by both the underground and mainstream dirty south rappers that popularized it. MTV had some weird campaign though at the time where you were allowed to define it however the fuck you wanted and even did polls to see what people thought it meant so I could understand why the matter was never clear to some people.

>encounter with The Master in the first Fallout
Absolutely overrated scene.

>genious superhuman entity
>his plan is to replace humans with his creations
>has no idea they're infertile somehow
>kills himself by... uh... somehow
Fallout was never good.

Just played it for the first time last year. Still holds up today.

My argument? I gave my opinion regarding NV, to which the response was that NV is a "real RPG where skills mean everything" despite using literally the exact same skill systems as 3. If you think dumping a bunch of skill-checks into dialogue somehow elevates it that much then good for you I guess.

Your analogy is fucking trash by the way, but at least it isn't a food analogy.
>you need to use your brains to win
Did we play the same game?

I just like it so much because you can kill any NPC you want, there's no immortals.

Every time I try playing Fallout 4 I get to the part where you meet the annoying ass old lady and then I try to kill her and she just keeps getting back up and I rage quit. A "freedom of choice" game where you can't just kill a basic NPC is garbage.

I wanna start a new game and make a Samurai Jack inspired character.

But I don't know how to do it. I can go Old Jack and focus on melee and use a katana or go New Jack and be a jack of all trades.

>retard fallout 3 baby tries to play NV
>gets called out for retardation
>"NVFAGS WAAAAHHHH"

This whole thread has to be bait, right?

Even normies like NV. How can you be so autistic that you don't like something normal people like just as much as people on a chinese crotchet forum? Are you fucking brain damaged?

It is the same system, just utilized far, far better. I don't see why that's so hard to grasp. Not every game made using the same engine plays the same.

It's not an overrated game anywhere. Except for Sup Forums.
The exploration is trash.
Just because the writing is good, the awful gameplay gets a pass.

>The exploration is trash.
Name a game other than Morrowind with better exploration.

I honestly want a serious answer.

Going to take you a while to get katana.

I hope this is bait

>despite using literally the exact same skill systems as 3
It doesn't

there's entire game conversions that simply alter leveling/balancing/item requirements/stat buffs/perk incidence/etc etc etc but I guess you'd argue they literally do nothing because it's the same game, right?

New vegas is one of the most popular games ever made

people who think New Vegas is bad while defending FO3 are the reason why the gaming industry is shit.

>morrowind
>good exploration
Nostalgia googles, my man. Playing it right now with the overhaul and without the fog you can see how tiny the map is.

All those copy pasted dwemer ruins, ancestral tombs, outlaw caves. Wew!

Unmodded is 5/10

Modded becomes a 8.5/10
The DLC is a solid 9.5/10, better than the main game for sure

It has what you are looking forward to on an RPG

I don't think that having a bunch of skill-checks constitutes "far, far better". I'm not failing to comprehend, user, I'm disagreeing with you. It is my view that NV plays identically to Fallout 3 despite the minor alterations. It is your view that the alterations were transcendental.

How does the skill systems qualitatively differ?

Far Cry 3

>Fetch quest in New Vegas, example Bleed Me Dry
>go to this side of the map and fetch me these mutated mantis eggs, by the way they're deep down inside Valut 22 so good luck
>go back to the starter area and find me these radscorpion eggs, they're in this little valley full of them
>go to the middle of the map and fetch me these gecko eggs
>go to the nightstalker cave and find me some eggs, you'll have to fight the legendary nightstalker
>go fetch me some fucking cazador eggs, go to the north of the map and enter this cave chock full of cazadors and also there's the legendary cazador there too
>fetch me some motherfucking deathclaw eggs, there's two locations you can go to, the Quarry where there's an Alpha and Mother along with a fuckton of deathclaws or the dead wind cavern where the legendary deathclaw lives
>reward total of 5200 caps (6400 with barter checks) and a unique Hunting Shotgun

>fetch quest in Fallout 4, example Here There be Monsters
>find the submarine in the water
>captain Zao tells you to help him repair the submarine
>go down the quarters and kill all the ghoulified crew, fetch the nuclear warhed to refuel the submarine
>go to the factory that's a walk nearby and get the dampening coils
>go back down into the engines and put the two things inside the submarine
>the sub is now fixed and it leaves

Dude that's for any game. You go into a MGS thread or God forbid a Dark Souls thread, you show the slightest weakness and they're going to tear you apart.

I love New Vegas, and you're entitled to your opinion. This is a board for discussion so those giving you hell for it can get fucked.

4 fucking hours in goodsprings, though?

Not that idiot but I'd say STALKER rivals or surpasses Morrowind.

I hate the "essential" tag too. In Skyrim, it feels like a third of the NPCs have it, even though there's only maybe four NPCs who need to live to complete the main quest. Seven if you count the Nords that do the Alduin battle for you.

None of the "essential" NPCs are essential. If I kill them, then let me fail their stupid fucking fetch quest. Better, if they have some quest item on them they're going to give me, let me loot it from their corpse when they're dead so half of the "essential" quests don't break when the NPC dies.

Subnautica

>All those copy pasted dwemer ruins, ancestral tombs, outlaw caves. Wew!
What about all the hand made ones, all the unique hand placed loot?

Sure not every single cave is gonna blow your mind, but a lot of the ruins had really cool shit hidden away, and a level of attention to detail other games can't hold a candle to.

Go back to Skyrim and collect your RNG reward from the chest at the end of every dungeon I guess, it's what the people want right?

I enjoyed it. Still pissed I forgot to leave a save before I made my decision with Daniel in Honest Hearts, because fuck HH and its terrible level scaling. The Survivalist was fun and bringing God's Judgement was great.

>another brand of overrated meme garbage

Sup Forums culture was a mistake.

Not him but I've just had to settle with agree to disagree on NV when talking to NV fans. Normally I at least understand subcultures within gaming. I've tried forever to understand NV's subculture and I really don't. It's like you guys are seeing the white and gold dress because of some post processing errors in your brains. Not saying it's a bad game. Not saying it's better or worse then FO3. To me though the differences between it and FO3 are noticeable but ultimately superficial. I've had friends IRL blow up at me for saying FO3 had a prettier intro when NV greets you with some ugly, generic as fuck looking rundown town. I just don't get what you are seeing.

>not mentioning being able to fuck Red Lucy as a reward

There is literally nothing unique or fun to find anywhere on the map in that game.

Liberate 5 outposts, collect 10 plants, kill 20 dudes yaaaay.

It's pathetic that you people actually want this. I'll never understand it, why don't you just grind your life away on a korean mmo?

I knew I was forgetting something

>take any video game you want, no matter how perfect people claim it is
>idle in the first zone for FOUR (4) HOURS doing god knows what
>"um, this isn't very good"

>legitimate
>and fair
>criticism

Far Cry 4

or just drop video games and spend that time working. i was talking to someone about this the other day. if you have the rare form of autistic talent that lets you grind through a video game for 12 hours a day, you should be using that talent to work at a factory or something. you'd be making an insane amount of money from all the overtime

Speaking as someone who considers this game a 9 or 9.5/10, you sound like a douche

Jack is capable of using all kinds of blades, he's even used spears. Guns were the only thing his old version never really used.

>level of attention to detail other games can't hold a candle to
What fucking level of detail are you even talking about, you fucking autist?

They're all made by hand out of a limited number of prefabs, Skyrim also has unique loot like daedra stuff.

You're full of shit my nostalgia blinded mongrel.

This thread went to shit fucking fast. If OP set this up kudos, master baiter.

A bunch of people got memes into playing nothing but NV all day everyday and made a cult out of it

>Name a game other than Morrowind with better exploration.
Morrowind's exploration was garbage.

Well he replied to the second post ITT with a severe raging shitpost so he did it himself.

The middle and end game have some very juice side quests. Novac has a really good quest if you talk to Many Vargas, but I've played the game so many times it's basically just apart the tutorial part of the game like Getting to the way of the voice or beating the first gym.
As a lot of people are saying you are spending way too much time in the original area, should have at least ventured outwards and came back if you wanted to do that. That's like hanging out from Riverwood to the standing stones and saying skyrim is boring.