New graphics card

Hey guys.
what is a good upgrade from a Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB. Around 200 -300$?

Other urls found in this thread:

notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-680-Benchmarks.92915.0.html
hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/73945-gtx-1060-vs-rx-480-updated-review.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

RX480 I guess.

Do not buy an amd card, list me your system please.

GTX1060

Depends, how long do you plan on keeping the card? 6 months? Get a GTX 1060. More than 6 months? Get an RX 480.

Get another $70 and get a 1070. Not enough longevity with the budget cards.

Got an RX480 8GB, loving it so far.

RX 480

i'd go with a R9 480 considering that they are dirt cheap at the moment with the 8 gig models sitting at around 240-260 and the 4 gig models sitting around 210.

Get a GTX1070.

Or buy a 470/480/1060 if you want performance from 2014 in 2017.

>GTX1070.
> Budget of 200-300 dollars.

Did you even read the post?

wait for a deal on a 1070

budget cards arent worth it unless you just play stuff designed to be playable on 3rd world toasters

What the fuck are you even going to play with it?
I would say 1070 is a minimum for any game coming out in the next 2-4 years.

If he can't save $70 in a week he has no business buying a fucking GPU.

do NOT get a 480
they are dogshit

These, seriously. I don't know why you wouldn't spend the extra $70 for a card that can run pretty much everything for the next couple years if you're still on 1080P.

>hey guys.

Any piece of shit can run games at 60fps 1080p in the current year. My 5 year old 670 can run most at 60fps 1080p still.

>670 can run most at 60fps 1080p still.
stop lying or stop playing ancient games

>WITH HALF THE SETTINGS TURNED OFF XD

I had the same card as you and I upgraded to an RX 480. Loving it so far.

Ummm no sweetie.

notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-680-Benchmarks.92915.0.html

(my one is a overclocked special edition with same performance as 680)

Sure it can't max out games, but it can get most to 1080p medium 60fps.

wait for amd vega next month they will be a big value like the 480 is. otherwise, 480

>dues ex
>Medium Preset 2xAF 1920x1080
>34 fps
stop lying

>vega
>next month

rebrands and probably with a "new line up" extra charge of $100 for a few months just like the 280x and 390

>most

Learn2read

my gtx 1060 6gb is holding up real well rn

RX 480 4GB, R9 Fury, or GTX 1060 6GB.

($190 US) RX 480 4GB. 1080p, all high settings. Only drawback is slightly high temperatures and thus noisier cards. They're $190 on Newegg right now for the Sapphire Nitro+ and reference cards and come with a free copy of DOOM 2016. Note: the definitive best RX 480 is the MSI Gaming X, which for it's low thermals and acoustics alone is worth the extra $20. Also comes with DOOM.

($280 US) R9 Fury will get you Ultra plus greater longevity in maintaining those Ultra settings at the expense of higher power requirements and heat output.

($250 US) GTX 1060 will run everything ultra but not as high FPS as the Fury, nor for as long down the line, but uses so fucking little power and puts out almost no heat. The 1060s can run borderline silent under huge load.

RX 480 8GB isn't worth buying.

My pick would go to the MSI Gaming X RX 480 4GB. Can't go wrong with it for $209 US

holy fuck, who cares?

This is the only reason why I dislike the "Hurr Hurr Nintenbabies on Suicide watch!!" Threads.

People who care are actually enjoying the game and not shitposting about it on this imageboard. Stop false flagging and how about you go play the game too. Whether it be through an emulator, or you actually purchase a copy of the game from the series you wish to support.

fuck off.

from that list you can only get 60 fps on 5 year old games

Just wait for Volta

>press f3
>the current year-1 (nothing tested in 2017)
>7 do, 3 don't (one being xcom where 60 fps isn't too important)

It really is on it's last legs, but it's holdiong out well

RX480 easily, or a 1070 if you can get it cheaper somehow

Op here, thanks guys, I've decided to go along with the 480. It looks like the superior graphics card compared to the over priced, meme card, 1070.

Is it worth 35$ extra for the 6gb over the 3gb 1060? I don't know shit about technology, so I don't know much about this. Do most games even need that much video memory?

The 3GB is almost not worth it. Any game that doesn't have simplistic textures like Overwatch will use at least 1.5-2GB of RAM normally. Any game that uses high-resolution textures especially, will probably encroach on that. There's a reason the 1070 and 1080 both use 8GB.

Ok, thanks.
What about the 480? Is 4gb fine? 8 seems overkill

4GB is alright. It'll probably be outdated in 2 years though because I'm sure that the 11XX series will be running 8GB VRAM as a standard, what with the 1080ti having 11GB. A 8GB will future-proof you if you're the person who doesn't want to change cards frequently. The price difference isn't too bad between the 4GB and 8GB version.

>meme card 1070.
That's not the 970, my friend.

The 1070 is probably the best price/performance card right now, unless you want 60@1080p.

Its not. Most games will push 3gb at 1080p and you'll have no overhead for games like Dues Ex or RoTR that will use twice that at 1080p.

Unless you want to save yourself some money now and have to replace your GPU in two years the 8gb version is worth it.

But if a game is so graphically intense that it requires that much vram, wouldn't the 480 not be able to handle it at those settings regardless? At a decent fps anyways.

That's probable, we can only speculate on VRAM usage though. Sometimes VRAM usage doesn't necessarily correlate to actual GPU usage, since it's similar to regular memory usage, meaning devs can either optimize it to fuck like Overwatch, or unoptimize it like fuck as in DeusEx MD.

The main contributor to vram usage is texture quallity which doesnt rly impact performance as long as you have enough vram

Alright, thanks guys.

No, the 480 can handily keep up 60FPS in games like Rise of the Tomb Raider but that game will easily push 6-8GB of VRAM usage at the same time. VRAM usage is not necessarily indicative of GPU usage.

The 480 is a budget card but it is not a weak card.

RX480

>not necessarily

no shit, it's by no margin a sign of GPU usage; core clock and memory clock are two functionally different proponents designed to give you the best performance possible. Nvidia wagers the entirety of their sales pitch on power, AMD offers a series of select drivers and functional malleabilities. my 7870 runs DOOM at 50-60FPS, if I wanted a 4K card I would probably buy a 480X or a Fury X. But seeing as how I'm running a 2K setup a 480 would serve me just fine

Thanks for the specific example. I'll probably get the 8gb rx480 like the OP.

rx 480

cheaper
just as good as 1060
also freesync monitors are way cheaper than gsync.

hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/73945-gtx-1060-vs-rx-480-updated-review.html

>2k

Can this meme finally stop?
We have been using 1080p for years. Why do people sudenly have to call it 2k?

Good choice try to get a xfx gtr they're pretty good

2K is higher than 1080p user.
>2K 2,048x[unspecified] none Projectors
>WUXGA 1,920x1,200 Widescreen Ultra Extended Graphics Array Monitors, projectors
>1080p 1,920x1,080 Full HD, FHD, HD, High Definition TVs, monitors

MSI Gaming X lad. Less noise, less heat, same performance as the GTR. Fuck other user. Only drawback is worse design.

It's red and gaudy, but holy moley those fans are amazing.

The 1060 3GB is not the same card as the 1060 6GB, it's actually weaker (because nVidia are dicks). Never buy this card.

2K is 1200 and 1440p

FullHD is 1080P, 2K is twice the size of FullHD, 4K is four times the size of fullHD or UltraHD, otherwise known as UHD.

Upscaling help with aliasing
I don't think your graph is relevent for anything other than TVs

Hello 750ti-san.

Can you wait a month? If yes, RX580. Should be a bit faster than the 480 at probably the same price point. 480 should see a price cut too I guess.

I'm in the same boat and have the exact same card and that seems to be the best option.

1060 3gb

i used to have a 7950 then an r9 380, after switching i will never go back to amd, i had so many issues with amd it was just ridiculous by the end.

>3gb
Don't do that.

BY FAR the most powerful card on the market today is the GeForce 9800 GTX.

It's at least 7 times more powerful than the 1080.

>wait for technology

there's always this guy

I understand where you're coming from but I'm not saying to wait half a year or something like that. If it's not necessary to buy right now, ~3 weeks really aren't that big of a deal.

I was just putting it out there as an alternative to the 480.

What should I replace my R9 290 with?

Vega.

RAM is the best cost to upgrade ratio there is!

Buy some darn RAM!