Monster Hunter Lore

So we all know what Monster Hunter is about; killing monsters. It's in the name. But one thing I've seen a lot of people once over and then forget is the lore, which scarce though it may be, is actually damn intriguing. Especially in regards to the War and the Elder Dragons themselves. So let's have a lore thread Sup Forums.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=F6kWy-xukAE
youtube.com/watch?v=DhrsUL-T1ag
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

To start off, everyone meet the Equal Dragon Weapon. A nightmarish amalgamation of multiple dragons into one giant death beast. Just one of the many things used in the Great War.

Next is the Incarnation of the Fatalis himself. It is stated in it's lore that it's fully capable of bringing about the end of the world, though just about any Elder Dragon of note can do that. No, what's truly interesting is that it's stated that it's immortal heart continues to beat after being removed from it's body. It can regrow an entirely new body from just it's heart if given enough time. If armor is made from it's heart, it will grow around the hunter in question until it consumes them, and Dire Miralis is once more reborn.

*blocks your path*

Hey, kid. You're going to hand over those classified pictures right now. Not going to? Heh.... We'll see about that....

Don't forget that the war was fought by genetically modified super-soldiers, whose descendants became the modern day humans/hunters in the games. It's a nice in-lore explanation for why the hunters have so much strength and toughness.

>no hunter, you are dragons

Goddammit. I was hoping to avoid you. Why don't you just get eaten by a Fatalis instead?

*blocks your path*
*pummels u with mace*

and never deal any kind of fall damage, which for a game like monster hunter having a lot of stupid shit, they don't nickle and dime you with fall damage

The lore is interesting.
Too bad Capcom allows the MH team to be lazy as fuck and keep using the PS2 era models and lack of a story line.

Speaking of Fatalis, it's time for lore on him. The Fatalis, considered to be the dragon of dragons, the god of gods, and the destroyer of all things. Truly a terrifying beast, and it's lore reflects this. First off this thing is a cosmic horror, don't let it's appearance fool you. It's lore states that just by EXISTING, the Fatalis kills the world. It doesn't even do anything. The world just comes apart by the dint of it's mere existence. Then there is the fact that armor and weapons made from it are still alive and growing. Quite a few bits of Fatalis armor, and weaponry are so large because even after being removed from the main body, they have continued to grow and shift. But that's not the end of it. Fatalis armor and weapons according to the lore, have a good chance of possessing or outright EATING their owners if used. Then you take into account that the White Fatalis, it's most powerful form, emerges from a black hole created by a solar eclipse, and yeah. This thing is definitely not just a "dragon".

Shit, forgot image.

this dude shows up in XX right?

And yet, the hunters or a single hunter can take down White Fatalis in a mere 13 minute run, really makes you think.

No. It's way too mechanical to be Equal Dragon Weapon.

>OMG WORLD DESTROYER
>Gets killed by one hunter

You forgot his most incredible power.

"The evil energies of darkness" power.

it's mechanical? neat

Do remember the Elder Dragons of current day MH are much weaker than the ones during the time of the war. In fact, some of the most bullshit amongst the current day Elder Dragons (who only show up in Frontier), such as Laviente, or Disufiroa mostly keep to themselves. With Disufiroa literally residing in a hellish place known as World's End.

Not sure if anyone will know what I'm talking about, but in 4G, one of the 'hallway-like' random areas that are generated in guild quests has a secret room you can fall into. It's easy to find if you happen to have it generated into your area. But the secret area is a shrine with the engraving of a monsters 'icon'.
I don't remember finding out what monster it was, but I also couldn't really take a screenshot of it or anything.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

My guess is that it's a mecha narkakos or something.

Not actually mechanical, but clearly metal and not flesh.

Compare it to
Equal Dragon Weapon is skin grafting 30 dragons together

It's mantis gear rex

Enough about corny world enders, what about the war, what was up with that shit?

Thinking of picking Monster Hunter up again.
Though the image says 2015, it was a year behind. So I haven't played in awhile, but I did play a bit last year.
Should I go back to playing 4G, or should I give in and try out XX?
Also, would anyone be willing to play with me? I'd enjoy a hunting buddy.

what the actual fuck

The Rundown

>some ancient civilization gets really advanced
>starts to abuse nature and make towers out of daoras and shit for SCIENCE
>fatalis, a dragon god, is angry
>wages war on people, cities get wrecked, EDWs and genetically modified organisms are made
>ancient civ gets wiped out
>fatalis is still unhappy years later, turns into white fatalis, some EDWs like gogmazios and mantis-mecha still remain
>hunters are still kinda sadistic and brutal
>in short, fatalis did nothing wrong

Ancient people have the power to do anything for the sake of whatever, using wyverns and elder dragons and shit then created Equal Dragon Weapos, probably more than 2-3. Dragons got tired of their shit, started a war, took place somewhere in the castle place(Shrade Kingdom). And the remains of the Shrade Kingdom is where you fight Normal Fatalis and White Fatalis in 4U, also up rumored that it was White Fatty who fucked everything up there.

Equal Dragon Weapons were created after the war was started to combat the dragons more easily

It's name is atlal-ka, which apparently roughly means, "soul of the ruins", in egyptian. Its a pharaoh themed mantis/spider, that uses scrap metal and machine parts stuck together with web to build a metal dragon that it controls like a puppet.

Then once you destroy the dragon it pulls a bunch of dragonators out of the ground and starts slinging them at you.

It's fucking sick.

Atoraru-ka is a hoarder and has assembled the ruins and wreckage it's collected over the years into that behemoth, which it puppeteers using its thread

Shinies dropped by the mecha have everything from charms to ores to golden eggs, and even when the mecha falls atoraru itself still wields a steel girder, dragonator, or giant cogwheel as a weapon

Either way, no EDW has shown up in the mainline, I think frontier showed one

FRONTIER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT HAS A FUCKING CONSISTENT LORE FOR FUCK'S SAKE

Gogmazios and Mantis are EDWs.

Gog
>mysterious origin
>weaponized cannon beam
>turns gunpowder into oil for fuel- essentially alchemy
Mantis
>highly intelligent
>able to manipulate objects to make working machinery
>able to improvise
>unnatural coloration and design

frontier playable outside of chink land yet?

Wait what, really?
Oh shit, I forgot Gog exists, but is Mantis really an EDW?

>tfw no mhxx on vita

Yes. Just look at him(female)

>can create working machinery out of scrap parts

This means that she has extremely high intelligence, probably on-par to that of a human. Probably a sign of genetic tampering

>unnatural design

Has a pharaoh theme going on. Also really bright coloration.

>Atoraru Ka is a legendary Mantis-like Neopteron that has been running wild for a few decades now. This species has been recently discovered by the Wycademy.

>"In some places, there has been legends about this Walking Treasure that wanders from place to place. This treasure is said to raid fortresses, leaving behind mass destruction, and defeat whole armies in a manner of minutes. It is even capable of taking over a whole fortress if it wants to. Though dangerous, inside this giant monster is a treasure that very few are lucky enough to see."

Giant Insect-Dragon Mecha basically.

Lets not get carried away here, the book that EDW picture and description is from is full of concept art and other shit that never made it into the game.

In terms of in game lore there isn't, to my knowledge anything in the way of dialogue or descriptions that definitively hints to a dragon war or the existence of equal dragon weapons.

That said there was clearly some kind of super advanced civilization at some point, so they may still be trying to work some of those concepts into the story.

Are there any MH lore videos without that six shooter faggot?

wtf i need to play mon hun xx now

Play 3U or 4U

Dont touch X/XX

>bright coloration
>unnatural
bruh step outside a bit yes?
and it looks like a normal fuckin mantis man, nothin kangz about it

Cmon son, an EDW is pretty much a GMO monster.

If I may ask, how come?

There's an obvious artificial theme going on with a mantis that can make metal gears and is dressed like a kang n shit.

How can the hunters even kill this so called "world ender" fuckers? Are they just human in appearance and are super bio soldiers or possible EDWs in a shape of a human?

Humans are probably Bio-soldiers, since they were possibly modified by the ancient civilization to eliminate the wyverns.

>finally converted my MHGen save into a MHX save and instaleld MHXX english patched
>can't kill Diablos alone and nips won't help me.

help me Sup Forums

Sure, and I do think Gog is a good example of that, But atoraru-ka seems to me more like a case of convergent evolution. A monster that evolved alongside but apart from humanity and due to observation and adaptation began to use tools and build things in order to survive and thrive much in the way we do. Simply waving it off as genetic tampering belittles how cool of a concept that is, I think.

They're just really good.

take this hbg and shoot yourself

but I only use IG and SA

Also, if you think that's bullshit wait until you see Dalamadur. It's capable of literally calling down fragments of stars called 'Shattered Omens', and it's lore indicates that if it ever decided to actually do anything, it could very easily destroy the world with as much effort as a single twitch.

It is the will of the hunter spirit that lets them kill, just like the will of man lets them survive.

That's not how convergent evolution works, user. You're discussing Lamarck's principles, rather than Darwin's. There's no way a mantis in the desert could evolve to act like humans. There would be no pressure for it to evolve into a more intelligent being, as animals only adapt to their environment over time. Humans evolved to be more intelligent through social interaction, which the mantis lacks access to.

there is also an explanation why only up to 4 hunters can go and not more and is because during the hunt of Lao, a hunter's wife decided to join the other 4 hunters, after defeating Lao, the wife dies and from that point, it was decided that only 4 hunters can go to a quest and no more, although that story is ruined because online allows you more than 4 hunters

They are actually descended from the original Dragon Hunters who were effectively Bio-weapons developed by the Ancient Civ to combat the forces of the Dragons. The old Dragon Hunters were literally made to kill draconic eldritch abominations. That was their entire purpose. These bones are probably an indicator of some of the things they fought.

you have to kill yourself asap if:

>you use arts
>you use any style besides guild
>you use aerial stlye (specially this one)
>you have the smallest bit of trouble beating generations
>you consider generations an improvement
>you like the memes in mh dialogues
>you use IG to mount
>you like the sand monsters
>you're a retard that doesn't know how to use skills in armor sets
>you like greatsword shittering

that's it for now
stay tuned

>tfw i dont have to kill myself

feels good because im still playing mhfu on ppsspp

spooky

>it's kinda smart
>T-that means it's artificial!
Are you even listening to yourself? It can use the scrap around it because it was living its entire life scavenging and eventually getting all of it. It makes sense that he'd know how to use it because he uses it to defend himself against pesky armies. That doesnt make him an EDW at all.

Fair point, that's not really what I meant but I couldn't think of a better term.
So then why is a mantis in the desert building dragons out of trash, and what mad man would make something like that?
Furthermore, how would it know what a dragon like that looks like if it only lives in the desert?

>The power of CB and IG
Imagine they find more blueprints of more ancient and powerful weapons

>There would be no pressure for it to evolve into a more intelligent being, as animals only adapt to their environment over time.

I'm no biologist but wouldn't the whole setting fall apart if you consider how many predators there are to prey in the MH environment, or how the predators have become so large and combat capable despite their prey being smaller, slower, and weaker to the point of being near defenseless

Unless large monsters are eating each other all over the place offscreen

>Unless large monsters are eating each other all over the place offscreen

Sure, uh, basically as far as I know what happened was:

A few thousand (maybe hundred) years ago the world was living in a highly advanced state with the Wyverians quite possibly being the "master race" and the lesser races: Dwarves, Humans, Cats, Chachas, existing only to serve.

The Wyverians had one enemy left though and that was basically the Dragon Gods who were chaotic neutral and really just wanted everybody to chill the fuck out and be animals.
This didn't abide by the Wyverians AGENDA and so they set about fighting the Dragon Gods and their forces... Not themselves mind you -that's what the sub-humans were for you silly billy- so they bioengineered dozens of creatures of mass destruction out of pre-existing dino/dragon stock, etc..

They lost though, they were actually completely and totally fucking trounced. They lost so hard nobody remembers any of this shit and most of the wyverians that remain today are quite stunted.

Meanwhile, the Dragon Gods not only won but were able to naturalize a lot of the Wyverians twisted creations back into productive members of a slightly more savage ecosystem.

So fast forward today and you've got everybody living in a 'pretty' equitable situation more or less: The Dragon Gods chill out, the monsters live honest animal lives, the wyverians were blown low and humble, the humans and other sapient species have private lives to themselves, and civilization only threatened when it gets too big for it's britches.

No it doesn't. The only time in any MH game you are allowed more than 4 hunters at a time is the Raviente fight. Even Dalamadur has the limit of 4.

I wish you could get large monsters to fight each other.
once had a great wroggi show up on a deviljho kill quest. It took one too many tail swipes and got all pissed off, then anytime they were in the same area it would switch between attacking me and jho. Only time I've ever seen that happen though.

Simple answer: genetic engineering. The mantis was probably a component in the wars, but after the civ got fucked by white fatty the mantis species kinda got released and survived on its own building comfy forts.
It doesn't make any sense when a mantis can build a metallurgy out of sticky jizz and metal scraps, and make it fully functional. Not even engineers can do that. This means the mantis is fucking smart, dude.
There would be pressure, but the mantis wouldn't evolve to be so advanced, it makes no sense. If a bird preys on beetles, the beetle species would probably evolve poison or a stanky smell but not the ability to instinctively build fucking mechas and rape the birds.

>I have shit taste, the post.
get by the times faggot.

youtube.com/watch?v=F6kWy-xukAE
youtube.com/watch?v=DhrsUL-T1ag

Nigga, I'm studying to be a molecular biologist and I'm telling you right now genetic engineering wouldn't be the answer to all of these questions. Anyway, I was in agreement with you when I said that he's smart, but that doesn't mean that he was tampered with.
He didn't build anything, he just imitated what he saw from other humongous dragons. Same with how some animals irl try to imitate the look of predators to be left alone. Except this buggo has the bite to match his mechanical bark.

how many do you fill, fucboi?
maybe playing peek a boo with your mom is more fit for you than mh

But what the hell use would a bug that makes shitty trash mecha be when based on the artian armor set those guys seemed to have advanced humanoid automata running around? Seems silly to me.

And then there's Nakarkos. Known as the 'Bewitching Spirit Of The Abyss', it lurks in a place known as 'Wyvern's End'. It consumes other wyverns and dragons, in order to use their corpses and bones to both create armor for itself, and to use their hollowed out husks as weapons. It can also fire a massive fuck you beam of Dragonblight, which could likely mean that during the wars Nakarkos acted as a sniper for the Dragon forces.

But he does build shit dude. The mecha he builds actually has cogs and gears that spin and move.

To me it looks more like it's pretty much just his string jizz that keeps it together and makes it move. While it's a vast understatement how much of his actual webbing is shown, he doesn't actually build it. It's just pieces of scrap that vaguely looks like a dragon, then he put them together in the shape of a dragon.

>has cogs and gears that spin and move
not really
the limbs look like they actually connect, the rest looks like a bunch of scraps
no cogs or gears though

Monsters in MH are like fucking pokemons they will battle each other with all their might for no reasons at all.

Aka: Rathalos flying peacefully when a fucking Astalos attack him for no reason whatsoever so they engage into a dead fight.

They need to be powerful to survive other equally powerful monsters attacks.

Play as you will faggot, I'm a vet a this franchise and you are probably just a try hard tribaby that cart at the slightest sign of pressure.

The whole thing is literally held together with threads, the mech phases involve cutting a thread to disable a leg, climbing up the leg onto the back, clearing out loose garbage to get to one of the cocoons anchoring the thing together, then cutting that up too to take down the whole thing

Fuck, now I want to see Fatalis trying to locate dragon hunters while Nakarkos is wearing glasses sniping the located dragon hunters

Yeah, I see what you're saying. Maybe I'll just have to look at it again. But for a mantis to build a giant robot, it has to have some understanding of physics and how to manipulate strings to manipulate parts. Also, the mantis seems to have some understanding of how dragonators work.

I think it understands that they're big, heavy, and pointy

Pokemon are intelligent and fight because they enjoy it, MH monsters are wild animals that are predisposed to fucking up whatever's in front of them

>Has some understanding of how dragonators work
Nigga it's just point sharp end at enemy, and throw it
That and I wouldn't draw so much attention to knowledge of physics and whatever. They don't have the same world we do, and it does not necessarily follow that they have to follow all of our rules on physics.

Also, one thing you also gotta know about atoraru ka is that he brings everything around him, including the arena. All of the walls surrounding the arena fall when mantis does. Wonder how different the fight would be if he wasn't burdened by raising walls while fighting you in a mecha dragon.

Well it is clearly highly intelligent, but there isn't anything to support that it's intelligence is engineered.
Based on it's description it seems to attack human settlements for parts to add to it's dragon, so it's probably had dragonators used on it in the past.

I remember hearing somewhere that the Atoraru seen in the game is a female and the cocoons on the mech contain the remains of previous mates

For some reason I can imagine the males grabbing shit off of castle walls to present as offerings

How can a lore-centric MH game work? Would it be a normal mainline game or a spinoff with different gameplay?

>Monsters in MH are like fucking pokemons they will battle each other with all their might for no reasons at all.

Rules of nature, dude.

Being tracked by a starving beast.
Looking for it's daily feast.
They run when the sun comes up.
With their lives on the line.

They don't do it for "no reason at all"- this is life, this is in fact the circle 'of' life and if they want to survive they've got to fight for it.

Monster Hunter Snap

I think I heard it referred to as a queen at some point as well.

That would be pretty cool, like those birds that gather all kinds of bright garish objects to make nests that attract mates. but instead the males sneak into human settlements and steal shiny metal bullshit to bring to their queen so she can make a bigger throne.

>Aka: Rathalos flying peacefully when a fucking Astalos attack him for no reason whatsoever so they engage into a dead fight.
Animals fight for all sorts of reason, rarely for no reason at all.

That'd be really cool if they got off their asses and make amazing textures and models on a screen bugger than my phone's.

>Camera
>Sonic Bomb
>Flash Bomb
>Dung Bomb
>Horn

your cart will have a shield but using it consumes stamina which recharges slowly so be sure to use it wisely, also your cart will be pushed by palicos, you have 3 palicos, and everytime you take severe damage a palico faints, you lose the level when all palicos can't push your cart

Frontier, literally, most of locations in Frontier are based on the lore, unlike the mainline.

It's fucking sad, mainline has done jackshit into the lore while Frontier while being absurd in terms of gameplay, still manages to slip in some lore.

Fuck the mainline in terms of the series' lore

No, they fight for the same reasons real life animals do; food, mating rights, self-defense and territory. Astalos attacked Rathalos because it either wanted to eat it or to protect/take territory. More territory = more food, more attractive to potential mates. Do you just know nothing about animals?

I don't think you realize how important territory is to animals.

>you like greatsword shittering

Fug, time to cart myself then.