Controller Thread

What's everyone's preferred controllers for general emulation use?

tl;dr dualshock fag here in market for new controller

I've been using the DualShocks since the Ps1 days and I honestly don't want to change that. I bought an adapter that let me use PS2 controllers for my pc back around 2004 and the fucker still works. However I managed to permanently disable both my Daulshock2s today on accident.

Dualshock2s are $50 new. Dualshock3s half-ass work on pc and are also $40. Meanwhile a 360 controller is $25 all of these prices pulled from Amazon. I have a bad Logitech F710 controller missing the wireless adapter that might be an alright controller but the dpad is garbo.

Honestly considering being gay and buying a $10 usb "snes" controller off Amazon for the mean time. It seems adaquete for DS+Snes emulation but will leave me fucked for PS1 and beyond.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/dp/B01N7ANDLC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_dp_7rZ1ybMGQPNB8
emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/SCP_Driver_Package
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I may be the wrong person for this thread since I'm a noob at emulation, but I just emulated my first game and I tried out my 360 controller and my dualshock 3 and I preferred the 360

I use 360 controller

I use an xbone controller the d-pad is a massive improvement over the 360 controller, recently played Medievil on PS1 with it and it works really well. The D-pad also works really well on SNES/GBA games. Played through AM2R, Metroid:ZM and the DKC games with it.

>Honestly considering being gay and buying a $10 usb "snes" controller off Amazon for the mean time
I have one of these as well which I occasionally use.

>Honestly considering being gay and buying a $10 usb "snes" controller off Amazon for the mean time
I misread this I have a SNES-USB adapter and use my controller from my SNES not a SNES controller with USB.

Unironically Xbone

I just use a Logitech controller

What was the function of the "Analog" button on the PS1/2 Dualshock Controller?

I remember pushing it and it not really doing anything in most games.

It would turn on or off the analog sticks.

If I remember correctly it would completely disable the d-pad if analog was on in most cases (not sure if this was a hardware constraint or what).

It was required to have it because a lot of older PS1 games before the DS1 had no analog stick support so it had to be turned off.

It has nothing to do with your emulation experience. It is merely preference.

Costs a bit more than the 360 but how much of an improvement on a scale of 1-10? I recently played SOTN for the first time and spells were a bitch even on a Dualshock for me. Special moves with the weapons were also challenging. I however was never good at Street Fighter type games and it could be a personal flaw but I read many posts found from google of people playing the XBLA version and being unable to do shit.

Not an option for me as back when I had SNES controllers I was a major sperg(more so than now even) and tore them all up.

I don't know senpai. I've been using Playstation controllers for almost 20 years now and I really don't want to change.

amazon.com/dp/B01N7ANDLC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_dp_7rZ1ybMGQPNB8

Most likely gonna get these for now until I can shill out $52 for a new 10+ year old dualshock2. Fuck life.

If you really need to stick with playstation controllers just get a DS4.

Will cost you almost the same as a new DS2 and it will work with pretty much any game that supports 360 controllers.

OP here and I too have had logitech controllers. The first one didn't last long. I got it 2nd hand and it just... died pretty much. Second one I bought criminally cheap at Walmart and actually broke it during the MGS1 torture scene. Third and final one I own is the F710 which seemed great when I bought it but the dpad is trash and I lost the wireless adapter.

Fun fact, replacing the adapter and buying a new F710 is a $15 difference.

Pic somewhat related. Damn fine PS2 controller and one of the earlier good wireless controllers before it became an industry standard.

I'm torn between the 360 controller, and the DS3. I like both, but I know the worst controller of all was the N46.

Get a DS4.

Oh, I still have this one. I forget how old it is, but I had a Sidewinder before it.

Logitech 4 life niggas.

I like ds4 since I claw on the left hand for some games like DMC4SE. Also, the touchpad is very comfortable to use when browsing. My hands are medium sized, so I don't mind the smaller size and lesser weight of dualshocks.

>square analog holes

That sir is the controller that gave out during the MGS1 torture scene for me. Thankfully, I had a back up. Don't emulate pic related with that controller you might get rekt.

At least DualShock 3 was a traditional controller and not the god-awful "banana" design seen in the prototype.

I use a Dualshock 4 for emulation and games like Metal Gear Rising , and it can work with bluetooth for wireless when not playing a competitive game like SFV.
Two complaints I have about the controller are, one, the battery life (4-5 hours), and the micro usb cable constantly disconnects if you move the controller around.

left my controller alone for too long and this happened

It seems more ergonomic, and from some testers it was good, the design was just laughable so they returned to form.

just buy a used DualShock 2 then, ten bucks
or hell, if you're using it with an adapter, buy a DualShock 1 and enjoy better control simply because the adapters don't read the pressure sensitivity and the all digital DS1 buttons are much better suited for it

sticks are looser though, and that's even comparing a new in box DS1 to a new in box DS2

On PS1 games, it enabled/disable analog support. Loads of early games wouldn't read inputs if analog was on.
Nearly every PS2 game forces analog on, so it doesn't matter as much there, and I can't think of any off-hand that don't force it on.

Only PS1 game I can think of that forces it on is Ape Escape.

This controller is very comfortable though

Don't knock it til you try it lad.

It's design was mostly poor and it's style was very lacking but it could've been a lot better than people gave it credit for. I much enjoyed the Xbox S controller in my earlier teen years but now I go back and hold one and it just feels weird. Same goes for the 360 controller though.

>Dualshock3s half-ass work on pc and are also $40
I have zero issues using scp with my PS3 controller including bluetooth usage with a $3 dongle

XBox 360, wired.
Good price, great performance, no shitty battery pack.

I like Dualshock for twitchy games and xbox for relaxed games like shooters and sports.

I'll be honest I hardly realize the flaws with the controller until certain game play mechanics demand that circular rotation like you mentioned. Although, with that fault. This baby still works, and I will never abandon it. It is a good backup with the 360 controller breaks down.

There was always a charm to the fact that sony kept their controller consistent throughout the ages. I like the DS4, but DS1-3 will always hold a special place in my heart.

I was a big time Dualshock fag, in fact that was the main reason I went PS3 last gen. I used my DS3 with my PC, however it would disconnect for no reason and that shit made me angry. Went Xbone and now I kind of regret it, sometimes I want to sell my controller just to get a black DS4. In terms of comfyness, the DS4 is miles better than the DS2 and 3, the only downsides are the short battery life and if you connect it with the cable you might put too much stress on the connector, breaking it earlier.

tl;dr: follow your instincts. Go to a store, use both (lastest revisions of course) for long periods of time, buy whichever you like. In the end it doesn't matter that much. The xbone is rather clicky compared to the soft dpad of the DS4. If you like 2d stuff, definitely go with DS4. Both are great controllers.

Different person here, platform games speaking I'd say the 360 dpad is a 5/10 while the xbone's a 8/10. I'm using the white, new version and the dpad is fucking great, a little bit clicky compared to Dualshocks and Wii pros, but still quite usable.

SCP would disconnect for me at random times, that was the reason I bought an xbone controller. Yes I uninstalled-installed several times, tried different dongs, nothing worked.

Well yeah. I did not have to reallocate my mental mapping of the button layout. Like with Nintendo for example. Sense all the system up until the PS4 had backwards capability.

OP here again. Appreciate the advice everyone. Will probably end up setting aside decade old bias and get a 360 controller for the mean time. Reading the reviews of those SNES like controllers are getting be a bit sketched out and I have at least used a 360 controller and am aware of it's strengths and weaknesses first hand.

Will keep in mind the DS4 for future purchases. I do not buy consoles these days and personally haven't even held a DS4. The touch screen doesn't make for a very good looking controller I will say.

I will also make note of as there are DS3s on eBay for $20. Which is of course semi-sketch but I might be willing to risk it.

With that I take my leave. Goodnight anons.

>SCP would disconnect for me at random times
I don't know what to say other that
>works for me

I had that bitch and the cable broke, gave it to my brother. I'd rate it 6/10 just because I got it for $10 when Gamestop had it on sale. Dpad is extremely clicky, square gates, cable breaks.

>just fix the cable bruh
I could but it won't fix the mentioned design problems. It's a solid "I have a person over and I need a controller" controller.

I guess it can't be helped

The D-pad on the 360 is pretty shit though. Just bite the bullet and get the DS4, or Xbone controller if you prefer that look.

The Dpad is clicky, but it never really gave me a problem. It was also dirt cheap at the time. This was also probably 10 years ago.

Were later 360 controllers updated?
The d-pad on my old white 360 controller was kind of shit, but I bought a wireless black one and I've never had an issue playing platformers with it.

Okay faggots, what is your worst controller experience?

I bought one last year as a personal Christmas gift to myself. Dpad is still pretty shit. Can't really play Mario, or Earthworm Jim with it. I end up going back to my Logitech. Clicky Dpad and all.

There are 2 versions of the 360 controllers if i'm not mistaken. This is actually true with many controllers such as the Dualshock but usually said versions only ever feature different insides rather than outsides.

I believe after the 360 Slims came out the following 360 controllers featured a slightly better dpad. Though i'm not 100% on this.

classic madcatz

Those fucking things right there
I ordered a fucking wireless translucent blue PS2 controller, their page claimed it had pressure sensitive buttons and turbo mode, they send me a red controller with neither of those features, I return it and get an exchange, and they send me a solid blue controller from a different brand that still doesn't have pressure sensitivity or turbo
Fucking ebay

>DA DUKE
What were they thinking? Was that controller design for monkeys?

>That A button that would become permanently half pressed

Man, I had near the same experience. I kept it because it was wireless and finding a wireless controller be then in stores was next to impossible.

how about when some modern wont even detect it
example arkham knight, i used my ds4 on it, but it wont work

too much inspiration from dreamcast

Searching google images for a decent 3rd party original xbox controller.

I didn't find any.

Woosh

Not going to lie. I would spend money on those gimmicky themed controllers simply to let friends use them.

I can honestly say this is worse.

I'm guessing this came out around 2006(Revenge of the Sith) but i'm not sure why. My mother ended up buying it for me when I was 13 or 14 some shit. Was quite the gesture except the wireless didn't work for shit. Further more, there were like, designs on the sides and shit that would scratch your prepubscent hands to shit on the sides. Vader's mask or some shit. The dpad was fucking trash, the color scheme was trash, and If I recall correctly. This was like the "micro" madcatz controller posted up above compared to the Xbox S Controller.

I took it to gamestop same week I got it. Rest in peace.

>NIGGA DEY ALL CHINESE

I love the Dreamcast but this fucking thing aggrivate my carpal tunnel like nothing else.

You rang?

Gamesir G3s
Chinese controller, but feels fucking fantastic

I'd actually like t try that.

I was using a typical Xbone controller for general Dolphin/Cemu use. However, after playing the Switch for a while and using the pro controller I might see if I can pair it to my computer and use it, since it's so much more comfortable than the xbone controller.

>> been using since ps1 days
>> doesnt call it a psx

Pick one

HIROSHIMOOOOOOOOOOOT

it`s the only ps looking controller that I found with a "nintendo" d-pad
and comes with a smartphone clamp

Why did madcatz feel the need to make miniature versions.

For people with baby midget hands like myself.

If you're playing on Steam, it automatically wraps your DS4 inputs as Xinput (you can even rebind them). If you bought your game someplace else (or you know, pirate), get DS4Windows.

I bought a DS4 for my PC (I don't have a PS4) and I'm still loving it. I'm using the touchpad as mouse and it works flawlessly after I play with the sensitivity settings. I used to use DS3s, but without a proper Bluetooth dongle, I couldn't connect them wirelessly; something that the DS4 has an advantage over since they can connect straight to your motherboard Bluetooth without requiring a dongle.

The gamecube controller was already tiny, dont tell me you couldn't handle that.

You know what, fuck you!

I'm sorry, I didnt mean to offend you, but one more question, are you literally a midget?

I'm actually a gnome

I don't have a ps3 but I bought a PS3 controller for emulation (I used a ps2 controller + usb adapter before but I wanted something wireless). It works quite well.
emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/SCP_Driver_Package

A gnome eh? I'm a dwarf myself.

Go home, "henry".

The Xbox One S controller is GOAT for PC. It has Bluetooth so you don't need a cable, and it doesn't require any third party software to work with games.

I'm a sonyfag so its always been dualshock for me. Any other controller feels weird

I'm a pixie