I DONT NEED TO LEARN MATH, WHEN I GROW UP I WILL MAKE VIDEO GAMES!!

>I DONT NEED TO LEARN MATH, WHEN I GROW UP I WILL MAKE VIDEO GAMES!!

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_space
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The universe played a cruel trick on us.

>he isn't a designer
>he fell for the computer science meme

Designer here, I know just the basic stuff, if I need to do something more complex I just ask one of the programmers for help.

Wait, what? What part of game design requires math?

How do I precalculus

>Love math
>Get to learn programming and actual Computer Science because of it

I thought it did.

Sometimes you need to come up with balance formulas, for example I wrote a document for an incremental game and that requires a lot of math.

Well, I'm pretty sure it doesn't. Programming is the MOST important part of game design and it doesn't require a lick of math. It's more logic and understanding the concepts.

If you are dealing with optimization, you need a decent amount of it. The reason most games nowadays are horribly optimized is because few people bother actually knowing their shit, and instead immediately getting down to type shit in a computer like everything's magic.

>4 calculus courses in for mechanics major
>realize my department is filled with total retards and I must escape
>swap into computer science
>only math I need beyond precalc is discrete math

Whew

A lot but it doesn't matter because you can google the solutions to your problems

>i don't need math, when i grow up i'm going to draw anime tits for money
This is me. Got passing grades on everything every single semeste except math.

>Play video games all through elementary and highschool instead of learning something neat
>Fucked now

Naw dude. If you're interested in learning anything under the sun these days you can google " tutorial" and get articles and videos to help you learn it. Colleges post whole classes online for free now, the only thing holding you back is yourself.

My uni's Comp Sci degree requires Calc 1 and 2.

Calc 2 was not fucking fun.

I'm in STEM Cal 1 and I am barely scraping by with a B

I had 5 hours of homework this weekend

>mfw also STEM physics

>tfw (relative) trash at the advanced levels of any language and can't translate my games

How can you love math, how the fuck do you find numbers fun?
I didn't learn shit because I had some shit teachers, some didnt teach good, some too boring and others were fired

the part were you need to simulate Physics and other number related problems

I think the people who enjoy math were fortunate enough to have teachers who weren't child-hating neurotics

No one finds Calc 2 fun

Fuck, I read that in his voice. Why did DS9 have to go to shit?

I got a C+ in the intro to programming course. I wish I was smart or at least decent at something useful, but I'll put my head through a wall if I ever have to program again.

>tfw want to do mech eng and have to do calc 3 and diff eq

Th-that's okay i-it's not like I wanted to have free time or enjoy my life

The part where you have to problem solve why your piece of shit game is running at 5 fps.

This. Most people probably don't remember that they fucking loved math as kids, only to have their souls crushed the more they went through school.

Wish I could travel back in time and tell young me to stick with it

All of it? What a retarded question.

That shit is easy if you pay attention, user. Use the theorems and really try to understand what they're telling you. I'm in diff eq right now and it's great, but I admittedly have an amazing instructor.

So guys, I've accepted that my math fundamentals are pretty poor after failing my calculus 2 course(also I barely scrapped by algebra 1). I wanna go back to re-learning my algebra stuff. Any advice/tips for going about doing this properly?

I failed everything in high school

I still was a valued student for whatever reason. teachers always believed in me like I was speshul.

your grades reflect your ability to stick to a schedule, not your intellect

i failed calc 2 twice

This is why my kids in the future are going to private school. Public schools are so shitty.

This, definitely.

Plus, most US teachers don't actually pick the subject they teach, beyond requesting a topic they enjoy. So many math teachers do not like math. They also aren't much good at it.

Use khan academy. Also realize that precalc is just a toolbox that enables you to simplify problems, it's just an overview of function types and their properties - polynomials, the exponential and logarithmic functions, trigonometric functions, and some graph theory stuff on circles (ungodly valuable) and ellipses (think I've used it one time in the last 3 years). All you really need to know for each function type is a couple rules, like the 4 major properties of exponential functions, or the trigonometric identities. It's not actually as much as it seems, but it takes lots and lots of practice for you to get comfortable with them.

math is easiest topic in school. you don't have to rote memorize shit for the most part and it doesn't require natural talent. read the book, do practice problems and make sense of the concepts.

basic mathematics by Lang

>khan academy.

You can't fool me.

>My Uni forces diff eq on every engineering departmant.
>Our department is actually teaching computer science but in my country it is called "computer engineering" for historical reasons.
>3.4 gpa but can't even give calculus 2, which is my only sub bb course, which is an FF.

Well then don't use it, doesn't bother me at all.

>Cal 1
Well you better pay attention because that shit ain't going anywhere.

And don't fall behind in Linear Algebra if you need to take it. That shit is everywhere.

Thanks user, really appreciate the tip.

I was thinking of going the more longer route and just going through a college algebra again, but the you route you suggested seems more appealing. Still might take me time, but I'll stick with it. I've been out of college for a while now, but God damn it, I wanna make sure my math capabilities don't suffer greatly because of it.

Unless you have to pass some kind of Algebra 2, dont. What they teach you as Algebra 1 is probably just crap anyway.

If you will need it at some point you would just learn it at that point.

>tfw passed tier 2 math without even trying
>tfw lazy but to intelligent

I'm a PHD student and I still find myself opening Khan Academy every so often to make sure I'm not fucking up matrix multiplication or some other basic thing like a big retard. It's a valuable resource.

Pay for it, like most sane people do.
I translate movies and netflix series for fun to spanish when it's a new release or fuck old movie and can't find any subs.
The secret is finding good people at translation, not transliteration.
Hell, send me something to check out, I could dig it
[email protected]

What type of math do you actually need in life?

When did Sup Forums get filled with PHD students and successful people? Where's the NEETs?

No you don't

t. Developer

Well whatever I learned in college algebra or pre cal I need to go back and re learn is what I'm saying. Cause anytime I'm struggling hard in Calc 1 or 2 it's me realizing how ass I was in college algebra and in pre cal, just regretting how didn't hone it done enough to feel comfortable with it and be able use it intuitively.

What do you want to do?

wait for the 4 am shitposts

most neets are pretty succesfull though

I appreciate it, but my next project is still in the earlier stages.

Are you just an ideas guy then?

Arithmetic for most general purposes, and some early algebra. Most people start to panic a little if you give them a math equation with a single letter in it.

the average person can get by with elementary algebra and arithmetic

Addition, subtraction, maybe multiplicity. That's about it.

What's wrong with it?

>game design not using math

that's wrong brah

all you need to know is how to find a point on the edge of a circle
you can do that, right?

wot

He probably thinks I'm shilling some Indian college or something

Become an accountant, dude
I'm not good at anything and yet now I can drop $100 for lunch to treat my Ma and not give a fuck

Anyone concerned about having a weak foundation before doing calc or something there's nothing to worry about, it'll be tough at first but the more you do the more it becomes second nature doing algebra. I've taken all lower division math, physics, and chem and algebra is as intuitive as basic arithmetic. If anyone has any questions about any of those fields feel free to ask, I had to take them for comp sci for some reason and maintained a 4.0 gpa.

This is true if you're an concept artist or art director.

there's a lot

>optimising game stats
>using statistics calculations for balancing
>prototyping (the programmers don't do this shit)
>basic shit like caclulating directions and stuff

If you can't do basic programming and math as a game designer, you're a shit game designer. Programmers are there for more complicated game structures and mechanics. You need to be able to implement basic shit yourself.

And sides of fries, please.

>tfw I fail at division

Don't know how I managed to survive this long.

you need to know algebra and some basic geometry if you want to drive and pay bills

Uhh, if you are more intensive about how you live your life and sell drugs/enjoy partying, you may want to be critically involved with anything from statistics and probability to pure mathematics. although the latter would be used a lot more on the road and in applied circumstances like architecture and so on.

Division is multiplication, maybe viewing it that way can help you overcome it.

the only part of game development that requires math is low-level engine programming. unless you consider things like simple equations math

Im an Information Systems (basically IT) and I just had to take up to Calc 1.

Im a software developer now and just fell into it. I want out (I hate programming) but all the offer letters I get are just more Development or QA.

Send help.

division is just multiplying by a fraction. keep things simple, math is all about simplicity. there is only addition and multiplication.

>in differential equations
>realize I've completely forgotten how to actually "do" long division
>I just seem to have memorized the ratios of numbers and estimate a little in my head

It's a wierd feeling

Yeah I remember that, I forgot how to do it again and it's only been a couple years since diff eq.

Calc II was fun up until Taylor series series.Then again I had a no bullshit professor who wanted use to conceptualize the mechanics so the problems were often basic.

kek literally nothing in game design requires math

basic logic to make blueprints/fsms at best.

by best associate direct reports came from degrees in english

division is subtraction i thought?

NEETs aren't fucking idiots
if you're a NEET and have no desire to learn anything it's time to consider suicide

I've forgotten a lot of the processes for calculating with larger numbers, but I can do it in my head my way.

Some people are so reliant on writing out the process that they are just using memory and not actual calculation skills.

>basic logic to make blueprints/fsms at best.

good luck making anything that isn't a crappy 2d graduate game

this. you didn't ACTUALLY fall for the GPA destroying Math meme to make vidya, DID you Sup Forums?

>Math is easy just do problems
That's great, but word problems are everyone's nightmare because of this reason.

It's not enough to remember a formula, you have to apply logic to the numbers, figure out why you're divided x or multiplying y, It starts to get pretty abstract in calculus.

No, division is multiplication with fractions, essentially.

Three divided by five is the same as three multiplied by one-fifth.
Subtraction is similarly just addition with negative numbers.

You could view it like that, where you're subtracting and incriminating how many times you subtract, but it's better to view your basic operations as said. You really only have addition and multiplication, once you view it like that you can perform arithmetic with less issues.

>making

top kek. that's what engineers are for. i just prototype the shit they create for me. they're too fucking obtuse to create meaningful concepts on their own.

to add to user, computers think this way too. Dividing a number in code is essentially multiplying it. So actually multiplying is faster than dividing, because the compiler doesn't have to do the work then.

>he thinks being an ideas guy is game design

wew lad

>addition and multiplication

Excuse me sir, multiplication is literally just rapid addition: 3 times 3 is 3+3+3.

>>Three divided by five is the same as three multiplied by one-fifth.

I never thought of it like that.

>Computer Science Major
>Literally had nothing but As in all my CS and math classes
>Graduate with a 4.0
>Get a software developer position a couple weeks after graduation that pays an upper-middle class salary
>Commute is 4 minutes
>Invest at least half of each paycheck
>100% well off
>still not happy

I should've never fallen for the STEM meme...

% well off
>>still not happy

sounds like the job isn't the problem user

Blueprint can do plenty beyond 2d shovelware you shitposting retard.

You're correct to an extent, but you have to recognize certain behaviors that the multiplication operation has that addition does not, making them different operations. If you want to look into it more you can start by reading some linear algebra:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_space

>get out of high school
>join the army
>get out, get job at federal agency
>making 55k a year when I'm 22, have 10 grand saved up at the end of the first year
>hate the people, quit after 3 years
>at school for cs

We're all on the hunt, user.

>division is just multiplying a number by another divided number, therefore division is multiplication

your definition is recursive

If you know what derivatives and basic matrices are, you're already well on your way to be successful with Machine Learning algorithms. Interest has grown in that field largely in the past few years. Lotta fast vidya AI speedrunners have been the result of it.

Really recommend giving it a shot if you feel like a fucking failure falling for the STEM meme. The feeling of novelty behind it alone kinda helps one get through with it.

tl;dr teaching your shit rig to play vidya and find bugs is fun and doesn't use horrifyingly difficult math

>5 hours
>a lot
just wait until dif eq fag

I wasn't talking about vectors, just scalar.