Gamestop closing 225 stores. Anything of value lost?

Gamestop closing 225 stores. Anything of value lost?

gamespot.com/articles/gamestop-to-close-up-to-225-stores-worldwide/1100-6448966/

Other urls found in this thread:

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4339336/3-500-stores-set-close-country-two-months.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Not when you can order things online. Might be annoying when you need to pick something up in a pinch, though.

>need

>entertainment

Yes, humans need entertainment! Who would have thought?

only thing good about gamestop is that the women that work there are usually an easy fuck, they are usually crazy though so not relationship material

The more the better. Future generations won't believe it when digital games actually cost more than a physical game. Makes no sense at all.

Fine autist, want. Happy now?

They needed to get rid of redundant stores. Too many stores, too close together.

>haha yeah I pick up chicks at the video game store bro
as if anyone is retarded enough to believe that you do this

I wonder how many used games they are going to destroy because they could not sell them.

I hope this at least means we'll see more independent brick and mortar game shops. But I doubt it.

I stopped buying games from GameStop a long time ago, but I still drop in sometimes with friends whenever they want to buy something.

In the past 5 or so years, it's transformed itself from a store that sells games into this weird Spencer's and Hot Topic hybrid. The first half of my local store is now just filled with shitty "le epic gamer nerd" merch, some of which isn't even related to video games. The games are now in the back half of the store. You would think, considering it's a video game store, they'd be displayed prominently upon walking in, but apparently not.

It's depressing, but it's not surprising. Buying digital and Amazon Prime/Gamers Club Unlocked's 20% discount on new games make shopping there pointless, considering they're always trying to rip you off.

Yeah, where I live, I can head out to one town that has a Gamestop, and then twenty minutes in a different direction, there's another Gamestop. And it's even quicker to get to that town from the other town than from where I am.

But then there's not another store anywhere near these two unless you spend two hours to head out to a city.

>GameStop also reported a 27.8% increase in its collectibles sales over the year
That would explain why the walls that used to be full of PS3 and 360 games are now full of all that funko crap, at least at the location near me.

>walk into gamestop to get a ps4
>loud lady on the tv is describing several episodes of umaru and why she liked them
>at the same time a fat guy is arguing with the cashier over funko pops
>imagine my life if i had to be an employee and listen to that day in day out

This, fucking constant commercials on loop. It would drvie me more insane. But if all 3 gamestops in my 5 mile radius close, i wont be able to rent games anymore

I worked at Gamestop once. It was awful.

>Working at Gamestop, week of PS3 launch
>Our store is slow so I'm the only one there from open till 1
>Slow Tuesday, three Basketball-Americans enter and ask if we still have PS3s
>Inform them we do, retrieve one from the back as they said they want to purchase one
>Start ringing them up, sell them on the extended warranty which requires their drivers license info (this matters later)
>Last minute lead nig says he forgot his wallet, says they'll come back later
>They don't that day of course

>Next day about 11:30, same three, start with the same story
>The second I open the back door to get a system all three bum rush me and force me into the back
>Demand I open the closet to the systems
>Not my fucking systems so do it
>They grab about 8 PS3s and make a dash for it
>Call police, when they arrive get standard info, take security video
>Tell them one might have had a gun in his hoodie but I couldn't be sure (he didn't)
>"user, is there anything else you can tell us about them that might help?"
>"Well yesterday one of them gave me his address and his drivers license information"
>Cop is looking at me like "Are you fucking serious?"
>"Alright, we'll check it out"
>Get a call 5 hours later that all three were arrested for trying to sell them all at the same pawn shop

>Show up to court 3 months later to testify
>They all plead no contest
>Charges were upped to armed robbery since I said one might have had a gun
>Never even had to take the stand and all three got several years

Ya did good son, ya did good.

I just picked up a bone at gamestop the other day. In and out in 10 minutes. Also the girl at the counter named my console "Phoebe". The store may suck but the convenience is nice.

Fuck, it was just 150 stores a few days ago

What's with black people and taking things that arent theirs? Is this the democrats fault?

>Buying an Xbone

Being sincere here, why?

It's even weirder here in Irondequoit NY. There used to be an EB games about 4 minutes down the road from a GameStop, then when GameStop bought out EB both became GameStops. Sandwiched in between them is Game Craze, the local mom-and-pop franchise game store. So within a 2 mile stretch of the same street there's three game stores.

Mine too, tons of Skylanders and Amiibo nonsense. And even some racks of cringeworthy vidya t-shirts. Shit is like barely a video game store anymore.

Ha, fuck this place. Its going down the shitter and I could not be happier.

I've been working at the refurb center (ROC) in Grapevine for 2 years and from all the shit i've heard, this company is going down hard. 7 of the corporate executives all quit consecutively within the past year and they shut down a whole section of the ROC that they just opened 3 years ago for Amiibos, which required them to hire 120 temps. All those fuckers are gone, and even a year ago they were hiring on a fuckload of those nigger temps.

I put in my two weeks notice last week, so I'm getting off this sinking ship fast. Tough shit for the people still working there though, they're going to be let known that next business meeting on the 7th, they're all getting most of their health benefits cut hard, and next Tuesday they're selling a bunch of shitty ThinkGeek rejected shit for a dollar a piece to the employees.

>pay for bullshit rewards club for maybe an extra 5 bucks off used games only
or
>amazon prime preorder gets you 20% off literally everything

Surs, nice copypasta this was in the last gamestop thread

Yeah I know, I wrote it.

nothing of value was lost. I can order my shit for 20% off from amazon and best buy. Fuck jewstop.

What are you, living in the 90's? You'd have to be crazy to think a bank will give you a loan to open a mom and pop video game store.

>"weak sales of certain AAA titles"

fuckin mass effect andromeda was soooooo bad it killed 2 companies

Hundreds, maybe thousands of people will lose their jobs. Regardless of how you feel about the company's practices, they are real people with real life.

Sure, a good chunk of them are probably just kids in the later years of high school/early college making a buck on the side, but there are also probably a good portion of those people who are older and in management who probably have families to support. That always sucks.

Why won't GameStop sell old games anymore? I thought that was their thing. Not a big deal for me, there's a game store around my area that still sells games as old as NES

>Anything of value lost?

Physical copies of anything remotely niche, especially anything from Japan not published by Nintendo or Sony.

Amazon and Best Buy offer new games for $48 each. Why the fuck would you even shop at Gamestop?

>They're literately blaming Sony and Microsoft for this because they haven't released new consoles yet
>This is why they're desperately pushing the Switch

Their profits with EB Games in Australia have stagnated too. I think this could be bad for them as a company. When we get Amazon in Australia (providing the prices are good), I'll never go back to EB Games.

Just go to Blockbuster bruh

How did you get his address and drivers license information if he left the store because he didn't have his wallet to give you that information?

>since ps4/xbone you need download shit
>pre-install before release date
>play at midnight

no need to commute, wait in line, or wait for the fucking install at 1am

I don't even do midnight shit anymore though, I'm a normie that has to wakeup at 4:45 am then work till 3:30 then sleep at 9

You're right. Near me, they got rid of one in a mall that had a larger two-floor one across the street outside. And then they turned its second floor into a thinkgeek.

The way they are handling the Switch launch, they deserve it.

My local Gamestop has had the phone off the hook every day they are rumored to get a stock delivery. If you get through to someone (for instance this Saturday - well after the fresh stock is gone) they tell you they cant talk about the Switch over the phone - come into the store and buy our shit bundle.

Ill just wait for Amazon.

Mom and pop game stores are the absolute worst. They are basically eBay: The Store.

>Go to EB Games and pick up two new release games I had preordered
>Girl working there tried to get me to buy a third game
>Looked legitimately sad when I said no

So uh, what's gonna happen to all that inventory of old games when gamestop goes out of business?

Liquidation.

>order new game from amazon
>sometimes arrives a day early
>sometimes a day late
>not ever really a problem
>never have to deal with some fucking guy trying to sell me gameinformer or an edge card

Dude, all that matters is this guy was able to remove 3 useless jungle niggers from civilized society.

He's a hero

Only thing being lost is American jobs but something new will take its place. I'm already sold on the 20% pre-order discount with Amazon Prime so Gamestop and all its cancerous Funko Pop can rot. Met a few nice employees so I do hope they find something better.

Is there a list of which locations are closing?

But I don't believe his story without that point addressed.

Which is a funny way to state my remark but it is their address that is in question.

Yeah. Lots of old games and consoles and various accessories are probably going to be destroyed.

>go to FUCKING GAMESTOP to buy a game
>pick out a game
>go up to register to pay for it
>cashier asks how my day was
>fine I say
>asks if I want to sign up for rewards
>say no
>finish transaction
>cashier tells me to have a nice day
>you too
>leave
This happens every time

Wait, how did the door open

fuck man, your gamestop is haunted

But they do user

>he doesn't vibrate his atoms through matter

Copy-pasta, but I'd believe it.

My friend left his check book in his car (stupid). A couple of basketball Americans near us broke into the car and stole it.

They paid their utility bills with his checks.

Cops arrested them the next day.

Pretty sure that's more than the original retail price when that game came out. How can they get away with this?

Good job not falling for the titted jew.

I don't know how much could actually be lost aside from the obvious jobs. Some malls I went to had two Gamestop stores built in there, one on the first floor and one on the third. I can only imagine that other locations were oversaturated in the same way.

I wish they would let us know the stores that are closing. I have a story from last week
>want a Switch, can't find one, cave in and buy a bundle with games
>go to store, girl fucks up 3 times over with the preorder
>end up getting a Switch elsewhere out of luck a few hours later, so need to cancel $500 bundle preorder
>Indian call center worker tells me can't cancel a preorder over the phone
>have to wait at Gamestop for an hour for them to put the money on a gift card then be able to refund me on my original payment method
I did manage to get my money back and I got a Switch, so overall, it ended ok. I guess they thought if I waited long enough, I would say ok so the new girl could get a preorder commission

In the big scheme of things, no. For my petty personal desires, I like picking up preorders there so I don't have to wait for the mail to play games on release day. It's much easier to preorder games like Underage Panty Quest XVII there since it's part of Gamestop employees' jobs to know what weebshit is coming out

>loud lady on the tv is describing several episodes of umaru and why she liked them
you mean that one anime it's actually starting to catch on over here?

supply and demand?
it's more on ebay

>day 3 for popular game that was released
>finally get swayed into buying it.
>go into gamestop
>"did u preorder?"
>no, but i want it
>"well we only ordered enough for pre orders, check back next week when we get our next shipment "
>go on amazon, buy it and get it 2 days later

They dug their own grave with shit business practices

Seriously though:

>Buy two full price, new release games
>"Want to buy Resident Evil VII as well?"

I could just finish those two games first and buy it discounted afterwards.

they can't, thats why they're closing down

>he doesn't vibrate his atoms through matter

nah, not really. It hurts day 1 releases, but that just pushes online retailer's 1 day delivery or same day delivery services so it's a business move. It also just further supports digital downloading which has every single benefit for the company with none of the drawbacks of physical. No dealing with damaged goods, no having to worry about leaks, none of that. Wouldn't surprise me if companies stop offering shit to brick and mortar retailers soon, as in physical merch.

>walk to gamestop to trade in max payne for gta3
>nypd doesnt let me through 14th street
i will NEVER forget them for choosing to have a store near wall street

Former gamestop employee here and this is true. They would only have enough for pre orders. Did the employee tell you in a condesending matter that you should pre order the game?

>basketball-americans

>Anything of value lost?
No more fucking gamestop threads. Feels bad

>3500 retails stores in general are closing down in the next two months
Is this really the beginning of the end retail? Will you miss malls? Is this for the better?

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4339336/3-500-stores-set-close-country-two-months.html

Why in hell would they only stock enough for preorders when they're a bricks-and-mortar chain?

It sucks that people are gonna lose their job but fuck this company.

what is best buy
what is walmart

where will you buy your fanko pups?

At this rate, Basic Income might have to be a thing.

>Retail probably won't last at this rate, especially with Amazon and co
>Robots
>Millions of unemployed people without degrees or trade skills

>Is this really the beginning of the end retail?

Can't be. As long as women and female teenagers exist they can't get rid of the concept of malls altogether. They'll have to be smarter about placing them though. Shit like the St. Louis Mills can't happen if you want to stay in business. I do wonder how these assholes with so much money and all that education and loads of educated individuals working for them can dump that much money into bad ideas like that.

Its trying to motivate customers into pre ordering next time. They just want your money up front so your locked into buying that game. Employees have "pre order goals" where we have to get so many pre orders from customers monthly.

Its so ass backwards because its like they dont realize there are sites like amazon where you can get it.

They literally sell brand new copies at $110 when Big W sells them from $69-$79. They are always sold out at EBGames and Big W always has stock.

THIS SHIT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE

Fuck I wish Aus internet wasn't such a colossal fuck up. Literally the only reason I still go to EB.

I always price match and always get some spiel about how "Oh, you know I shouldn't be doing this!"

Well then why are you doing it you purple haired cunt?!

>Millions of unemployed people without degrees or trade skills

Cool, they can mingle with the Millions of unemployed people with degrees or trade skills

People want it. Actual copies of used games will always be an inflated market because they have to compete with emulators and most people that want a physical copy will be of the collector mentality, who will inevitably pay more to have it.

yeah that's a little fishy. I mean I get the address probably but not so much the license shit.

I used to work at a store that had Pops as one of their major draw cards, I have no idea why people brought them:

>No playability for kids
>Look like ass

Fuck, I had this one girl I knew in high school and her husband come in and lay buy heaps of this shit all the time:
>Preorder heaps of Pop vinyls and other shit
>"Knew her brother too."
>She talked shit about him for still living with their parents
>He seems to save money
>She buys junk like Pop vinyls all the time and lives in her husband's grandparent's granny flat

Not necessarily. Specialty stores are more in danger than places like Target and walmart.

>we get Amazon in Australia

I just hope Gerry Harvey has painful slow lung cancer and lives just long enough to see his shareholders abandon ship.

was meant for, sorry. Please give the (You) back

The only thing worse than weeb shit is faux weeb shit. Like when an American tries to draw chibi art

Yeah no shit? There's literally nothing wrong with having basic income it's all positives

>increase employment with placea like UPS, Fedex and dhl etc.

>locked into it
except unlike most digital services in the states, at gamestop you can cancel a preorder at any point. I usually do a preorder when someone asks just to give them their goal, then cancel it the next time I come in, lel.

Only sith lords deal with absolutes

>Can't be. As long as women and female teenagers exist they can't get rid of the concept of malls altogether
Social Media fills that void now. All they need to do is bury their heads in their phones.

From what I've heard, the fact that people are being more frugal and the debt bubble is popping is to blame. People would rather buy shit from clearance stores or online instead of full proce in a mall. Online retail, big box and clearance outlets are going fine.

from my point of view it's the government that's evil!

Most of the time you wont get your full amount back. Youre lutting down a deposit on the game. Its like anything else you put a deposit down for. If you back out , they will take a piece as a "fee"

YOUR NEW EMPIRE?

no, that's not the case anywhere in the USA. I do that all the time. The minimum is $5. You put it down, then cancel it? You get $5 back.

Why would you lie about that? That's a weird thing to lie about.

You underestimate my I hate sand what I have I done it's not the jedi way and I should be more powerful obi wan is don't make me kill spinning is a good trick

It was a policy when i was there. Granted it was 10 years ago since i worked there so it might have changed.

Calm your autism down