No triple A dwarf fortress game

>no triple A dwarf fortress game
>no triple A minecraft survival game
>no triple A open world online zombie survival game
>no triple A earthbound clone

Why are triple A developers so afraid of these genres Sup Forums? They're super popular, yet these companies stay away from them. Why can't I have one of these games made by a competent developer Sup Forums, I'm sick of lackluster indie devs making unfinished games.

Isn't dragon Quest builders aaa minecraft?

BRAAAAAAAAAP

why would you do this

because AAA devs dont pander to aspies like you

Who are you kidding? There would be no room for politics and trannies if they did fun things.

The only one that sounds decent on your list is a dwarf fortress game.
I really tried to get into it but I'm a brainlet. Would love something that's updated more. Otherwise everything else on that list would just turn into big piles of overpriced shit. NMS is a perfect example.

>too complicated to make money
>no proven market, minecraft was a phenomenon and no other game of the type has succeeded
>same as above, has a few exceptions instead of one but still
>other earthbound clones have failed after the first few, scared to go back

>triple a dwarf fort
sure, a bigger team might mean faster upda-
>triple a minecraft
c'mon now

>>no triple A dwarf fortress game
Name one console that can handle DF water pressure algorithm

>terraria sold 20 million copies
>isn't a success

Fuck I guess nothing is a success unless it makes billions.

>tfw carnt into dorf

Dorfs is easy to get into once you understand the ui, even for brainlets

t. brainlet

5 ps4s

>triple A dwarf fortress game

>wanting an AAA version of an ASCII game that's been 18 years in development

nigger what the fuck, that would take actual centuries.

>tfw can only play rimworld
>know that the gameplay is extremely lacking compared to dwarf fortress

still awful
>100 different kinds of the same thing (meat, milk) that clogs up the inventory lists

>18 years in development
by just 2 people

It's amazing how many people have tried to ripoff Minecrafts formula. I'll be the first to admit I fucking loved that game before it turned into an autistic mess.
I think what stood out was that Minecraft was the first game that just let you basically do whatever the fuck you want.
There's not really much you can do for a sequel either seeing as how there's no way to improve graphics or gameplay function without fucking the formula of the game.
I honestly think the genre is almost dead. Something else phenomenal will come around and everybody will try to rip off of it again.

well if you don't want to treat your nobles that prefer specific goods just sell them or ignore them

My bad, I completely forgot terraria existed. still, what other game of that type has succeeded?

>There's not really much you can do for a sequel
there are some things that I would want
>better combat
>an incredibly dense amount of items you can collect on par with terraria
>more wearables, armor, and weapons
>more biomes, underground biomes, alternate dimensions, deeper underground, and higher mountains, floating islands, etc

Am I the only one who thinks Terraria is fucking awful?
It's like Dig Dug had incestuous babies with Minecraft. It's fucking weird man. Played it for about 20 minutes and then I never touched it again.

I guess the game just wasn't deep enough for you.

Yeah but it's impossible to market that as a sequel. That would be to be an update. They could try to pass it off as a DLC but they would have to be very careful not to piss fans off because they've been providing "free" updates for 7 years.
When I imagine a sequel I imagine a total overhaul of the game, but it won't have that same magic that the original Minecraft did if you do that.

>dwarf shitter doesn't know what he's talking about
Every single time.

Computers have been able to simulate things several magnitudes more complex that that for years. It all depends on whether the coder knows how to optimize his spaghetti.

the only way I could think a sequel could work is by making the blocks themselves smaller, to put it simply, in minecraft, the player is 2 blocks high and 1 block in width, a sequel would have the player standing at either 4, 6, or even 8 blocks high. Thus allowing for more detailed things to be built.

This would be balanced by for example if the player was 4 blocks tall, he would be able to break 2x2 blocks at a time instead of just 1x1, also, he would be able to place blocks in the world 2x2 at a time or 1x1 if he wanted to.

This would be a good sequel because it's taking advantage of today's computer's increased processing power to process more blocks at a time.

jesus christ my nipples

The technology isn't there for seamless voxel based open worlds yet, we're seeing early iterations of them to sate the free marketplaces supply and demand, but don't confuse the lack of quality of those games as being better achieved by a AAA developer, they don't touch that shit because of how much processing power they would need to make the game, then they would have to lower the prowess of the game to fit on the majority of peoples PCs and even worse if it's ported to consoles, which it most likely will to maximize profits, and in some cases to do more than just break even.

Voxel based minecraft, df type games being made by these devs is just one venture they wouldn't risk when grounded genres proven to make money for cheap like RPGs, FPS and fighting games exist and are very influential among the gaming spectrum. When technology advances perhaps someone will deem it time to tap into this tressure trove, until then imagine what we're seeing is the first interation of the car, not many people had one back then due to compilations and of course trial and error manufacturing. Later it boomed into a huge success when they had worked out the kinks. Think of it like that.

>Thus allowing for more detailed things to be built.
But that's the thing, the reason Minecraft is so successful is because of autistic/ADHD children. The game appeals to them because it's easy to build shit. If you start complicating shit Minecraft will lose its core audience.
Not saying it's a bad idea it will probably just never fly.

A triple A battle royale style game would work well, but instead all we have are these super shitty early access games or mods.

kids play blockland/roblox (I love blockland), and that game has way smaller blocks, it would not be a problem to make the minecraft blocks smaller at all.

I think the best way to make it easier to build stuff in a denser minecraft is by allowing the player to make custom "prefabricated" things like columns, floors, roofs, windows, etc that they can place on to the world at a cost of how many blocks it took to build said custom prefab. Also included would be developer made prefabricated items. I'm pretty sure Lego Worlds does this.

So no console, only capable computes

FUCK YOU CARLOOOS

You mean hunger games servers, and no the faormula would grow really old really fast, it'd just be a fps with survival aspects, the genres meta would stagnate over time and they'd lose playerbase, it'd be a horrible investment for a triple A.

The culling had potential but they dropped it at the last update

bump

>triple A dwarf fortress game
what the fuck does that even mean

AAA would fuck up those genres if they tried. They lack the soul and vision to pull it off.

>well if you don't want to treat your nobles that prefer specific goods just sell them or ignore them
>don't want to treat your nobles
>just sell them

just like real life!

Not a thicc animal so not even once

Two other games which would be instant hits if they received AAA remakes:

- SS13
- Hidden: Source

Honestly this.

AAA Funding = Investors expecting AAA grade Sales.

Guess fucking what, a AAA Minecraft ripoff, Dorf Fort ripoff, yet another Zombie Survival game and another Earthbound won't land the fucking sales needed to justify the budget proposed.

And besides, Microsoft owns Minecraft already, so no need to do anything more beyond pump out an update once or twice a year.

Rim World is just Dorf Fort with an actual UI normies can use.

Don't even start with Zombie Survival, dear god people are sick to death of those after nearly a decade of them.

TPS loot grinds were very popular after borderlands. TPS killed it and it's been dead since. Hell, since D3 is objective crap there aren't any AAA loot grinds.

An actual open-world zombie survival MMO (*actual* MMO with thousands of players per instance ie. Planetside 2, not whatever 64-player shit people are calling MMO these days) would break all video game sales records

>not whatever 64-player shit people are calling MMO these days
dude are you fucking serious, I wish 64 player shit was still the norm these days.

Here, let me fix your logic.

AAA = zero risks allowed, only the most humdrum guaranteed-recoup shit is permitted. Forget long-term profits, we need to ensure that this specific game is profitable, so it has to be a boring sequel to something proven

It sounds like a terrible mess.

Day Z is the best you're going to get.

You're an idiot, sorry you had to find out this way.

That's not wrong?

>only capable computes
No, any console with capable coding. DF has shit coding but a AAA company could optimise it.

>triple AAA
>optimised coding

>implying a AAA company could even come close to making something as good as Dwarf Fortress
dozens of other indy developers and not-so-indy developers have tried. It'll never happen and it'd be an insult if EA or Ubisoft even attempted a DF-style game, not that they will because they know they can make more money making Call o Duty 17 instead.
also saged cuz it's obvious bait.

MMO's are a hard investment to sell investors on because of the high failure rate.

It requires a heavy time investment from customers as well, which is usually the thing that kills any MMO that's made.
Your AAA Zombie MMO sounds neat on paper, but you need a playerbase that'll play it consistently and for many years. If a playerbase cannot be sustained, the money was wasted.

You don't need AAA to get Rimworld.

>50 >no triple A dwarf fortress game
Some genre just don't get AAA OP. Also Minecraft now cost 3billion dollarydoos, if that counts.

Make an actual mmoRPg like EQ1 and, as long as you don't go full ME:A/SJW bs on it, I can almost guarantee a tidy profit. It's a smaller audience, but most are willing to pay a sub which is rare these days.

As long as they don't fall prey to catering too much to the PvP crowd/open world PvP, 1 week to end game, or group/solo only content that is.

Does that run every step for every single block of water? Jesus, pathfinding will get expensive very fast over long distances.

The only MMOs which have failed are those which brainlessly copied WoW. Every unique MMO you can name had at least enough success to recoup expenses.

- Space Cowboys Online (plane dogfighting MMO - sold for hundreds of millions to koreans)
- Planetside 1 (first person shooter MMO - 100k+ subscribers in its hayday)

Also EVE Online obviously

I want nothing more than a AAA title that would allow me to cruise around in space like cowboy bebop. Sailing from planet to planet, trading, maybe some low level pirating. I just want that comfy space aesthetic.

3D: Elite Dangerous & Freelancer
2D: Starsector & Transcendence

I fucking love eve online

how does this work? they ERP for eve online cash?

you can't do it, it would be impossible to make a game as detailed as dorf in 3D

Wrong again kid. Minecraft is living proof "what consumers want" isn't a nailed down, market researched coffin thats going to be closed forever. There's new frontiers out there. New and more advanced experiences not yet created.

For example, I'm planning to one day invent the MMOBA genre.

>MMOBA

Ambitious, for sure
That would bring the two worst playerbases together though, so I assume there are laws against it

>no triple A earthbound clone
Dude, not even Ninty themselves had faith in Mother 3.
Also a huge part of the charm of the Mother games was it's art style, which would probably get raped by AAA standards.

you just have to learn how to live with the garbage tier ui

Lol the concept is nothing new but it's just never been done before. Here's a quick rundown I have:

>Isometric space pvp mmoba
>50vs50
>2 assymetrical factions (e.g. human and weird alien)
>1 elected commander per team to manage economy, research, building etc
>In order to even opt in for commander, you must complete the officers training tutorial that lasts 1-2 hours, then tests your abilities (this is to prevent noob ass commanders from just ruining entire games)
>Each start on home planet
>Entire goal of game is destruction of enemy homeworld
>8-20 planets total
>Players assume command of varying types of ships, support ships, intelligence ships, combat ships, carriers (with commandable squadrons of fighters/bombers), destroyers, battleships
>Players form groups or "fleets" of varying sizes modeled and structured like real life navies
>Jump drive fuel: Ships can jump to any/system planet, the further away that planet/system is the more fuel it uses. Just after use, a small cooldown (in minutes) before it can be used again. This makes intelligence key for you could be jumping in to your doom if unprepared. Likewise you may jump away if heavily damaged, but might not be able to jump very far!
>Big fleet engagements
>Fights should be designed so most bigger ships can take a damn beating, with engagements long lasting (like 5-10 minutes instead of 10 seconds)
>Upgrading and customization of your particular ship on a session to session basis, and such stats are displayed on the fleet screen
>VOIP similar to Squad, but extensive keyboard emote commands for those that dont have mic

alright, i'll bite. what's this from? source?

>no triple A open world online zombie survival game

Dying Light

Although I think Dying Light is great, it's a single player zombie survival game primarily.

I guess it can be, I've never played it without my friends though so I have a hard time seeing it that way. But yeah, you're right I guess.

brapffff

Firstly, AAA implies you can market it to normies.

AAA Dwarf Fortress fundamentally conflicts with itself.
AAA Minecraft was tried. It flopped. Minecraft's mods and user-made maps greatly extend its longevity, and AAA HATES user-made content because then they can't charge $0.99 for skins and map packs.
AAA open world zombies exist, and it's called ArmA III.
AAA Earthbound -> Earthbound's charm would be killed by committee and focus testing groups who turn right for 30 minutes. Earthbound has some downright quirky bullshit in it, but it's necessary for the game to have that bullshit as part of its atmosphere.

You can't make AAA unless you're cutting half your content between tight deadlines and planned DLC, and so you can't make AAA without the gullible shit-eating retards with bottomless wallets and no sense of taste.
If your game can't be cut into pieces and mass-spoonfed to an army of dumbasses $0.99 at a time until they've wasted $100,000,000 on it, then your game is not a AAA game.

>Also Minecraft now cost 3billion dollarydoos
Fuck, I'm glad I got my copy before the price went up

>poorly made arma mod
>aaa

>I really tried to get into it but I'm a brainlet.
PLAY ME, FAGGOT