Apologize

Apologize

for what exactly?

>implying I care about playing with input delay

You can't apologize to the dead

>it was a rental service they gave you option to buy games
>not the full game, it was just a streaming copy @ 480p locked on their servers

>they went bankrupt and people lost access to their games

there was probably some retard that bought 50 games.

Innovation ahead of it's time

>not actually buy games, it was just a rental period of 3 years

The technology wasn't there yet, and their business model was terrible. That isn't innovation, it is stupidity.

>not the full game, it was just a streaming copy @ 480p locked on their servers

I never understood that. So you played a recorded version of the game or what?

ONLIVE IS CLOUD GAMING
BUT WHAT IS CLOUD GAMING?

No, your inputs would be sent to Onlive's super computers for processing and then the images of the results will be sent back to you. This would create some insane lag since internet is not instantaneous.

I forgot all about it

>playing single player games with lag
>ultimate form of DRM, you own nothing at all
>need to keep paying monthly to play games that you have rented at one point
>innovation
no

>Game is being run on server farm
>Video output is captured and streamed to a remote client
>Controller inputs from remote client are sent back to the server

I forgot this shit even existed. Same with Gametap.

Has anyone tried PlayStation Now? There's a free trial and a few games I'd like to try.

I beat LA Noire with it, it was kinda neat since I used a really old Laptop to beat it.

Overall it wasn't an awful idea, the thing is Steam sales and cheap hardware make it so that there's never the need for a "Gaming Netflix" type service.

>insane lag

except there are a few services doing it fine and making money with it.

Onlive started almost a decade ago

tried playing shadow of the colossus with decent Internet, it was technically playable but it sucked hard
give the trial a whirl in case it's a low action game or you have a good enough question

ah, i see, the lag is so strong it takes you this long to post a damage control thread eh?

This was actually alright when I tried it in the UK. It worked pretty good. I think inevitably in the future there will be a big Netflix-type service for games and dedicated consoles will become more and more niche. I guess that's what playstation now is trying to do atm? idk I've never really tried it. its still too soon anyway

It will become more and more of a reality as consumer bandwidth gets higher and higher.

It had some nices ideas like being able to demo every game on the platform. But a cloud service isn't going to work untill everyone gets good internet.

*connection
stupid phonepost

Jesus, I remember the announcements like it was yesterday. And telling all my friends this was the future, only to find out they barely had any of the newest games out.

Tried like three games for it.
First was some Dead or alive game, ran pretty well.
Second was Odd World:Strangers Wrath, ran like shit.
Third was Sniper Elite 2, ran like complete garbage.

I say give the trial a go to see how it is for yourself, but remember to cancel the trial when you're done, or else you'll get charged.

Cloud gaming is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist: people have no issues with buying hardware. Also there are challenges for it ever becoming decent, such as how they need servers close to the consumer to provide low latency, for the US this isn't a problem, but for markets overseas, will they put servers in Europe, for example? You need some infrastructure for it to works globally, and that's just to have it with less latency, but it will always be inferior to running games on your own hardware.

Then the value of games when behind a perpetual subscription goes down big time, nobody's paying 60 bucks for an onlive game, and with services like Steam offering games for very cheap, it looks like a bad deal to get into cloud gaming.

Use the trial. I have pretty good internet speed so I didnt notice a lot of lag, but it's different for everyone, obviously.

kek

We'll see I guess. Sony found value in it after all since they decided to roll with PS Now instead of putting PS3 Backwards compatibility to the PS4.

But when hardware is so insanely affordable and games 1-2 years old are already sold for less than 15 bucks why do I want a streaming service?

go back in time and get my apology then

I'm surprised you guys don't know that steam, microsoft and sony were planning to do this but it wasn't the right time.

each console generation they want to lock down features and remove features also make more games be locked to their servers and eventually just become a streaming service where you don't have any access to physical files (disk) or local files.

>onlive thread
>ctrl+f
>tachyons
>no results

What the fuck.

See

it actually worked surprisingly well desu

t. used to play videogames on netbook with africa tier connection

Damn that takes me back. I remember playing the Duke Nukem Forever demo on it. Kinda cool

Bandwidth has nothing (or little) to do with it. In fact, 6mbit can be enough. It's latency and physics that are the biggest hindrance. Try to be faster than the speed of light - good luck.

Back in September last year I upgraded from 6mbit down and less than 1mbit up (0.7) ADSL to fibre with vectoring (basically fibre, only the last 800 meters are traditional copper wire) which is 100mbit down/60mbit up and it didn't change a thing since my ping time was always quite low if the server were close to me.

lol

>Cloud gaming is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist: people have no issues with buying hardware.

more accurately: the problem exists but its impossible to make money off it because the entire market for it is people with no fucking money to spend on a pc or videogames

But, what is cloud gaming?