Let's talk about Runescape. Why hasn't anyone made a spiritual successor to RS...

Let's talk about Runescape. Why hasn't anyone made a spiritual successor to RS? It doesn't seem like it would be that hard to code compared to other MMOs and it would be incredibly easy to rake in players based on nostalgia alone, so why hasn't anyone done it?

What would you want to see in a spiritual successor to Runescape?

Games have come a very long way since then. At the time when Runescape was in it's golden years, most kids playing it were playing on a shitty family laptop and probably wanted to play WoW but wasn't allowed because their parents thought downloading games was basically asking for a virus, like my parents did.

Kids these days have their own PC's/laptops and are usually free to do what they please and there are much more appealing MMO's out there for today's kids than a little pointy clicky browser game. RS3 is Runescape's spiritual successor and I don't even think that is doing too well but I don't know the figures so I'm just speculating.

Kids these days don't play MMOs, it's mostly the teen crowd.

>tfw today's kids will look back on LoL the same way we look back on RS

RS is a game barely scraping by on its nostalgia value alone. That model of MMO hasn't proven to be as wildly successful as the theme park model EQ, WoW and countless other games, both old and new, run on. Sandbox MMO's, other than maybe EVE, have been known to fall to pieces very quickly for lack of interest in them.

The biggest problem with MMOs that I find, is that the developers make the worlds to big. They make these huge worlds that have such a low content density that they feel empty. Runescape was great if you were F2P, because the world you were in was relatively small, but it felt big because of how much content there was and how many other players you would run into.

I wish it would happen. It's not gonna happen though.

>spiritual successor to runescape

you mean osrs?

fishing lvls?

Eldevin came very close but its dead now.

nice

t. people that never played runescape

Nice

A (You) for your baseless assumption.

played it from 2004 to 2007. only people who play it now are people old enough to have done the same, or teens jumping on the twitch bandwagon.

I never played Runescape, I don't understand the appeal.

It just seems like a grinding simulator since everything is just so basic.

nostalgiafags can't let it go.

One of the best things about it was the fact that people actually used to talk. MMO's these days are basically single player games where the NPC's say GG sometimes after you run a dungeon or raid with them. Back in the day of Runescape you couldn't go anywhere without ending up having a conversation with someone or reading someone else's conversation when they were levelling. That's where all the "fishing lvl?" memes come from and the countless other silly screenshots about people wanting to buy a gf. It was a sociable game, something that MMO's these days are not.

it literally is, but so is every other MMO. and people wonder why nobody plays them anymore.

why is everyone such a sage spotting cuck in this game

Like you said OP, it would be that hard to code

If it was single player.

The biggest problem is that so few people know or even attempt to learn how to use netcode. Hell, if I knew how to work netcode and I had someone working on art, even I could probably make a successor to Runescape.

It was when the internet was still practically new to a lot of people, and chatrooms were king. Everyone used to just go places to talk to people about stuff back then, sometimes without shitposting. A foreign concept when you look at today's internet, I know. This was a time where dumb shit where you don't really "do" anything like Habbo Hotel and Club Penguin were really popular too.
Then you add Runescape, a free sandbox game where you could do a ton of shit while also serving as basically a glorified 3D chatroom with a ton of freedom to fuck each other over or work together to get rich and afford the best equipment.

nice

Thats weird to think about..

>tfw you see those red level guys and feel so newb
:(

>70k players just a day or two ago
>constantly rising player base
>"barely scraping by on its nostalgia value alone"

Stop talking about shit you know nothing about OP

people who shit on runescape are noobs who think level 50 is halfway to 99 and dont pk

I swear dude, you could just see the thumbnail in the catalog and know it was 6/6/6.

When I was like 8, I remember suggesting a whip weapon on the forums and I got like 20 replies of people just telling me I was fucking stupid and that a whip couldn't do any damage to armor. And then they came out with a whip weapon a few years later.

Also one time I remember this guy saying he wanted to start the "Runescape Mafia," and I commented and said it was stupid because Runescape is a medieval fantasy game whereas the mafia was like a modern day type thing. We got into a flame war and eventually the guy met me in game with three friends and told me about something cool in the wilderness.

Even though I was a dumb kid, I was pretty much 100% sure the guy was bullshitting me and was going to kill me with his friends, so I brought only one item with me. Once they attacked me in the wild I just said "lol," died, and spawned with the same item I had on me. Then I called them retards on the forum for thinking I'd fall for that, and we got into a long argument as to whether or not I actually did "fall for it" since I technically followed them into the wild.

It's amazing how utterly pointless and fucking stupid that whole experience was, and how nobody is going to read my post nor care about it because it was so boring and stupid. But I'm on the clock right now so I may as well just keep typing.

generic korean MMOs get more players than that.

I remember when weekends would have 250k players (bots). That was before they decided to kill their main source of income by destroying the combat system with a shitty version of WoW's.

70k for both OS and rs3, half of them are bots so 35k real players.

Nice populated game friend

I don't even know what it is but I still enjoy the look of OSRS. Maybe its the slow movement but you just take in the environment in a different way. Sure its all fueled by nostalgia too but its just pleasant. Oh my fucking god I wanna go back again

>Why hasn't anyone made a spiritual successor to RS?
Because Runescape is still alive and chugging?

LoL is unironically a very well-made, high quality, polished game with ridiculous amounts of content

it's just gay to spend 40 minutes held hostage by shit teammates so i don't play it nor that genre anymore

>it felt big because of how much content there was
I've been spoiled by how much more vast the members world was, there was no more single area where you could catch lobsters and you actually could fish more things which were member exclusive. Don't even get me started on the skills that were locked to members only like Hunting, Thieving and Farming

vanilla wow was the same, mostly because the game didn't tell you anything half the time. You had to ask people if you wanted to go do a dungeon halfway across the world, or wanted to know where to level next, or where mankirk's wife was.

Those people never knew true grinding until they decided to go for a skillcape. My first was woodcutting, it was an entry level 99 skill but I was still proud to have gotten it finally.

I dont want to think about that, RS was my childhood. :( Im still playing at this very moment

What are those 2 things after dungeoneering?

>it would be incredibly easy to rake in players based on nostalgia alone
those players just go back to runescape because they're nostalgic for runescape

divination - suck the life force of guthix into your body then poop it back into the ground, you can also make useful shit out of his life force like things that bank any resources you collect or things that automatically eat food if you get low or things that revive you if you die

invention - enhance any weapon or armor or pickaxe/fishing rod/hatchet with mechanical magical stuff.you can buff your pickaxe to do stuff like melt any resource you collect for even more xp, or have a chance of mining rune when you were mining adamant. you can buff your armor and stuff to do things like give you more damage on your slayer task the less kills you have left
it's kind of shit, divination is ok though

Its a simple but comfortable experience, it didn't need to be fluent in movement on graphics to be enjoyable, everything it offered was engaging enough from the skills to the quests