Why do so many people think that Devil May Cry 1 is "dated"?

Why do so many people think that Devil May Cry 1 is "dated"?

It does a ton of things better that the sequels, but most people don't seem to look past the combos and the plot.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=H8qG4AlK1qk
youtu.be/vF8rdHz2wZw
youtube.com/watch?v=PK6UaPnRYcc
youtube.com/watch?v=Se3NHURe1I0
exhentai.org/g/111516/8a57b2623b/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's imo the hardest game in the series: enemies and bosses can only be attacked in a certain way, time trials, swimming. It is kind of shocking though that the contextual button presses didn't make it back into the series until 4.

What does it do better?

Difficulty and spooky atmosphere. That is all

I don't think people give enough credit to how much of a visionary Hideki Kamiya actually is.

DMC1 has a very unique sense of style, and if you compare Bayonetta 1 to Bayonetta 2 it's super noticeable how much worse the direction is in cinematography and voice acting.

Pacing
Level design
Music
Art direction

DMC1 is just overall a much tighter package than any of the sequels.

>Atmosphere
>Enemy design
>Difficulty
>Replayability

Chapter structures don't feel right for DMC for me.

I like it.
It's not a combo crazy game like 3 and 4, but it still does action well in its own pace. And all around I would say that it is an excellent videogame.

But I still think that people who praise DMC1 as the best game ever are dumb hipsters.

DMC1 is personally my favorite mainly because of the enemies. If there were more games with spooky enemies with good combat, that would be a blessing.

DMC1 is my favorite in the series and replay it every few months. Might boot the shit up now actually. Legit one of the best action games. The enemies are actual legit threats as opposed to making you feel stronk with your all-day combos.

Love shit like walking up to a sin scissor and just shooting a single bullet into their mask, killing them instantly.

>dmc 1 is the best in the series
Then explain this faggots:

youtube.com/watch?v=H8qG4AlK1qk

I cry everytiem

Movement and camera is a bit clunky compared to the successors.

The only thing DMC 1 does better than 3 & 4 is Dante's personality

There's nothing terribly bad about it.
But the Mundus fight was a real disappointment.

>hyped to have the ultimate test to my skills and abilities learned through the game by fighting the big bad
>his fight turns the gameplay into a shitty shooter and a gimmicky segment where you must cheese him or die

It's probably for the lack of combos but the enemies especially in Dante Must Die mode are challenging and you can't afford to take damage. Compare them to DMC 3/4 and DmC the enemies even on high difficulties are pretty just there for you to style on.

youtu.be/vF8rdHz2wZw

It's the only one where Dante is a tolerable and likeable character

The voice crack is intentional.

What people don't realize about this scene is that Kamiya deliberately showed Dante as weak and vulnerable. Devil May Cry 1 is all about a horror scenario with a protag being a badass, the LIGHT scene establishes Dante as a person that's not just a invincible smartass. He puts on a strong face and laughs in the face of evil, but Dante isn't unbreakable and feels sorrow and doubt just like everyone else, he just acts like he's untouchable.

Basically, the whole theme of DMC1 is to face horror and hardship with optimism and bravado; which is a point a lot of people miss.

>Replayability

How? There's no combat variety and the game is really really short and like what 4-5 bosses in total with 2 of them being 2nd encounters

DMC 5 IS COMING, LADS. IT'S GOING TO BE A REBOOT OF THE ORIGINAL GAMES WITH TRISH, LADY AND EVEN LUCIA. NERO AND VERGIL WILL BE BACK TOO. THERE WILL BE FIXED CAMERA ANGLES AND DANTE WILL RUN HIS BUSINESS AGAIN.

KYRIIIIEIEIEIEIE

Dunno OP, most people probably didn't play it.

>DMC on that list

Why? It's only Devil May Cry in name and nothing else. It could be a fun hack and slash in it's own right, but including it with the rest of the series is a mistake. It's going to sting so hard once Itsuno re-reboots the series again. Donte will be forgotten.

Because it's better than the other 3 games.

Guaranteed replies.

sup tameem

hmm, I don't necessarily agree with you. Sure, the gameplay was mechanically solid, but the world and mythology didn't quite live up to the one established in the originals. It just lacked any charm or personality, y'know?

How long is it going to take the dmc community to realize that its full of aspies and retards?

Took metal gear fans fucking forever

For me the gameplay is the part that was a little wishy washy at launch. DE fixed a good deal of it, but Vergil's Downfall was still more fun (Itsuno's team) mostly because the angel/demon pull mechanic didn't stop your attack flow with Vergil like it did with Dante.

What I like about DmC is the art direction. I know I'm a minority on that. Only other DMC to beat it is DMC1 imo.

Every game community is full of aspies and retards.

true and every group has their own special type of aspies and retards.

dmc fans are unique

Would you rather have the original dmc come back, or a continuation of DMC? I'm just curious.

Every autist is unique. Haven't you seen the slogan?

Either would be cool.

not the Monster hunter community we are cool r-right?

Anyways, on topic now, DMC3 Dante is the coolest Dante and that's a fact, also the battles between him and Vergil are hands down one of the best battles in all vidya story and you know it.

I can't think of anything that DMC1 did better than 3, I still like DMC1 a lot tho.

The first DMC is total masterpiece. I think I played it at least 5 times.

>I can't think of anything that DMC1 did better than 3
environments

To Sup Forums every group of people who have a positive opinion about a videogame and enjoy playing it are autists. No exceptions!

Artstyle and OST
Dante and Vergil is a great pair that enhance each other, but Dante alone isn't as good as DMC1 Dante

Being a time-capsule of late 90's/early 00's culture

Where is the obligatory Matrix reference?

dmc1 dante is a shounen lead faggot that one minute tells trish to fuck off from him and then goes and saves her ass

DMC4 has the best incarnation of him

Well the environments are more spooky but also a bit more boring.

Lady>Trish.

>OST
hahaha! wait, you were serious?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

>ywn be as charming as Dante
>ywn be a girl charmed by Dante

youtube.com/watch?v=PK6UaPnRYcc

>Thinking shitty buttrock is superior to DMC1's instrumental OST.

lel.

More art like this?

DMC3 has some of the worst music I've ever heard.

The artbook.

Most of them played 3 first

>Atmosphere
>Level design
>Music
>Dante
>Art Direction
>Sound Effects

Can somebody explain this track to me? I love it, but I always wondered why classical music starts playing in the background. I'm not sure what it was trying to simulate but it made me feel like the classical music was supposed to be coming from the castle or something?

The franchise has shitty music, period.

There are a couple of decent songs, but as a whole their OST is weak. Only DMC2 kinda did it right, but then again, it is DMC2.

I wonder exactly how many people who "played" DMC1 even knew about Critical Hits as a mechanic.

>DMC3 Dante is the coolest and that's a fact

No, DMC3 Dante is the second best Dante. DMC1 Dante is an absolute perfect blend of confident and snarky without being over-the-top like DMC4 Dante. Drew Cooms did an excellent job outside of the "LIGHT" cutscene and should have reprized his role in DMC4. Langdon IS young Dante, but Dante in DMC4 did not sound right to me.

Enemies, Soundtrack, Level Design, Atmosphere, Dante's design and personality, and lastly art direction

I love Devil May Cry as a whole, absolutely one of my favorite series and DMC3 is one of my favorites, but DMC1 has a unique charm that the other games just absolutely lack.

>Chapter structures don't feel right for DMC for me.
but DMC1 is chapter based

You have to be genuinely retarded to think DMC3 or 4's OST can even touch DMC1's. You fags only like DMC3 and 4's because you can fucking meme spout with the lyrics.

muh combo fagets

All the games are structured exactly the same, only 3 and 4 let you pick your Missions. I don't know where this "Chapter" shit is coming from.

It's hard to even compare. They go for such different styles.

DMC 4 has some really good tracks though.
youtube.com/watch?v=Se3NHURe1I0

Literally nobody thinks that.

Don't want to spend $25 on the book. Post what you have if you would be so kind

the bosses aside from the nelo fights are boring

fixed camera angles really don't work with action games

trish isn't interesting, dante looks cool but is kind of wooden
however it does have some good atmosphere, music, and enemy designs

I don't have it all, but here's the whole thing.
exhentai.org/g/111516/8a57b2623b/

if the songs aren't getting you pumped up then I feel bad for you

>>The franchise has shitty music, period.
>Ask people to prove the series music is good
>Always the same 2-3 vocal tracks posted.

Sup Forums is a meme board.

NOW YOU'VE REALLY CROSSED THE LINE

And yet the best games of this subgenre are not made by him (DMC3/DMC4/MGR).

>DMC3/4
>better than 1
ha

SLAM DUNK

I really wanna see Nero in another game.

>All these DMC1 patricians coming out of the woodwork

Feels good

The best game of the hackanslash subgenre is Ninja Gaiden.

>Yo, we have all these unused biohazard assets, what do we do with them?

>paint it black nigga

currently on my hard playthrough of devil may cry 1 and have never played any of the others.

the camera being arse is definitely the main thing going against it, i think

If Capcom hadn't cut Itsuno's budget and dev time for DMC4, the game would have been GOAT. It's still one of the best action games at it's core.

>turn off ps2 and run out of the room

DMC1 can feel kinda weird sometimes because of how "weighty" things feel, its not actually a bad thing, much better than DMC2\DmC's overly floaty combat, but it kinda weird playing DMC3 or 4 then playing DMC1 and how similar but different it feels.

So many flaws and so little to do with the rest of the series, but damn, it's too bad we won't see any more of this canon. I feel like it was only going to get better.

Let's hope they announce a new DMC soon, with Itsuno back on as project lead, but with some pointers taken from NT's art department.

>So many flaws and so little to do with the rest of the series, but damn, it's too bad we won't see any more of this canon. I feel like it was only going to get better.

As a huge DMC fan I agree.

DmC has so many good things going for it, but it will all be drowned out in the noise of its inferior combat system and the hostility towards the orignal fans.

I'd agree with you in any other game, but it works for dmc3, somehow

It was the best 3D Castlevania game

Best enemies in the whole series desu

It's my favorite in the series. I love its missions, level design, and atmosphere.

Spookiest most goodest music in the series. The griffon battle theme is fuckin fantastic

The level design (in terms of concept, presentation, and playability) is unparalleled in the series. Enemies are much more consistent as well.

I actually completely agree and I usually say something to this effect as well.

The line is honestly practically "I've covered Jill sandwiches"-tier, but the presentation is actually pretty nice if you have the right perspective.

Was at a fleamarket last week and found both 1 and 3 on ps2 for about $10 which seemed like a pretty good deal, they had 2 but I heard its shit. Which should I start with? I know 3 is supposedly the greatest fucking thing ever made but would it ruin my enjoyment of 1 or do both hold up well?

Start in release order.

1 feels different and it has its own set of rules when it comes to movement and physics, but it is still a good game.

Nightmare is one of the worst bosses I've had the misfortune of facing in any game ever.

user speaks the truth.

Are any of the actual 3D Castlevanias worth playing?

I like this, after all Trish was made to play with Dante's emotions.