WHY!

I can understand the step back to more conventional game play, but couldn't they have done another Modern Warfare or Cold War era shooter? World War 2 has been done to death.

Thought I was the only one who felt this way. A lot of people seem to think "anything is better than having another futuristic installment" but you forget how heavily spammed the WW2 setting was in the sixth gen.

Look at the dislikes in the Infinite warfare reveal trailer
They're desperate

They could do the Civil War

but, there would have 50/50 white and black solders which never happened.

>musket reloading being fun

What's old is new again

>cold war era shooter

what

Bullshit. WW2 doesn't even have cool weapons.

theyre saving it for VR cod

well it has mauser, lee enfield and mosin rifles

this is the most b8 ive ever seen

I would love a civil war game, but It'd be difficult to do both because of race issues and because the developers would have to find some way to make the weapons interesting.

>WW2 doesn't even have cool weapons.
This is probably bait but, nigga what?

What is Black Ops.

Have you never played the first black ops?

make bayonets axes, and swords very useful with a gibbing system. Getting a musket or cannon shot should be satisfying when you dont aim like shit and actually hit your target.

>Oh no its not like the last 14 years of COD!

Boo Hoo

I'm guessing be means like...
Fuck. I don't know. The Americans only fought proxy wars back then.

>Bullshit. WW2 doesn't even have cool weapons

Nothing beats slamming a fresh mag into your weapon. You can't take that away from me.

clips are cooler

The Korean war would be interesting. I don't think there are any games based off that.

>modern CoD set in WWII
>end of round with the winners circle will show a German soldier doing the salute and turning it into a dab

I can see it now

It's been 12 years since Call of Duty did a D-Day level (Pointe du Hoc rather than Omaha, though). Will we get a modern version?

>What is the Sten?
>What is the Welrod pistol?
>What is the Flamethrower?
>What is "PING!"?

And that's discounting all the German weapons deliberately, because while they were cool, they're all a given.

That's because America doesn't want to admit to ever having a war there.
Vietnam only gets a free pass because it has a great soundtrack.

How? Tons of guns from ww2 are still used today or were the prototypes for modern weapons. You even have fucking nukes. Literally the only thing different is no drone strikes

Not a bad idea. At the least, it's not fighting the fucking Germans again.

I dare you to say this on /k/

Vietnam was cold war era
Black Ops 1 was about secret operations and battles done in soviet territories other than vietnam

MGSV is a cold war era game, since its in early 80s, soviet occupied Afghanistan

pretty much any "conflict" post WW2 and pre 1991 is a "cold war era" "conflict". which in terms of video games conflict = war. It just wouldnt (for the most part) be about the americans.

Wow, somebody should make them play Game Dev Tycoon.

Wait how would a cold war era game not be about the Americans in some way

That's probable. So which company is making the game? Infinity War or the other?

>what is the Luger p08

most aesthetic handgun to date.

though there are plenty others

>stg series
>kar-98
>springfields
>mausers
>M1897
>Browning 1919
>M1 Carbine

and many more

Because people who are playing Call of Duty hasn't played the games we have in the past. I have a younger brother who is 17 and hasn't played any WW2 shooter besides Medal of Honor: Front Lines.

It'll be "fresh" for their target demographic, what's so hard to understand about this?

Civil war had single-shot cartridge based firearms.

It literally is where all the Old West got its weapons from.

On an unrelated note it'd be neat if they did Guerilla Warfare and make it just a bunch of small scale engagements since they aren't exactly Battlefield. But that wouldn't be good for the campaign which needs to be Michael Bay.

US-funded proxy militias vs. Chinese-funded proxy militias would probably also be too much of a dose of real life for most people.

In all honesty they should take a cue from Rainbow Six: Siege and realize that having more tactical options would be good.

I'm still waiting for another shooter that does suppression right, like Brothers in Arms did.

if the game came out in america it could be considered a "cold war era" game since its a name for the time frame. You dont have to consider it a cold war era time frame, but it isnt technically incorrect either if it is released in an area that uses it as a time frame. If it came out in Somalia or something, they probably wouldnt consider it that, but its all about culture and viewpoints.

WWII has probably THE coolest era of weapons. Shit like the M1 Garand and Gewehr weapons all the way to brownings and STGs. This better be bait you fucking casual millennial.

>Civil War game
>play as someone from one of the more modern cavalry divisions like Buford's who were always equipped with repeating carbines and revolvers

it could work. maybe.

on a side note, are there any good civil war video games out there? I remember there was a shitty Gods and Generals FPS way back in the day.

If you want suppression, join a squad on ArmA and pretend to be in the military 5 hours a day.

Can we just have a Brothers in Arms style game?

wait. Because there were just as many WWII games then, as there are future war games today, we shouldnt make WWII games again? Its been nearly 10 years since the last WWII game, and you think its too soon?

Some strategy games, but no shooters really.

No because Gearbox is dead.

The only game that did suppression right was Red Orchestra 2 and that game still screwed it up.

>Korean war, alternate history ww2/cold wars, gulf war, CIA operations (black ops) all around the globe, etc

beggars can't be choosers, I don't mind strategy. any recommendations?

I just finished reading McPherson's Battle Cry of Freedom today and I'm thirsty for more ACW.

Just start fucking making up wars. Why does it all have to be based on real shit? Make up some ww 2 esque shit without being actual ww2 then. Oh but spending effort on making a decent story is too much work.

There were kids born after the time of countless WWII shooters that only played World at War. That's why.

This. I've seen shittons of vietnam, but never korea

Ultimate General: Civil War
Came out in Novemeber, so not outdated at all
Mostly positive reviews too

>What is Resistance

Because it has literally been like 9 fucking years since the last decent WW2 game, and the CoD kiddos are tired of future.

I don't even see future coming back ever again for CoD. They fucked that up hard. From now on it'll be modern time themed, and past. They'll be terrified to release future games now. And they never had the backlash they had with future on WW2, so I think we can expect a WW2 series. And that's good. Hopefully sledge niggers will leave in QS so I can at least have fun.

A seriously underrated franchise that I would happily pay full price individually for a remaster.

Anybody here play Day of Infamy? I expect it to be light on content and made up by the modding community but it's pretty damn decent and the devs are supportive.

>not a vietnam game
YOU HAD ONE JOB

Were the future shooter CoDs even that bad?

>Vietnam vidya with MAG levels of player count

that looks pretty cool. I think I'll start off with UG: Gettysburg first to see if I like the style of gameplay. thanks for the look user.

I want a VR game where the first mission is D-Day in its full gore to weed out casuals

Black Ops

>I want a VR game where the first mission is D-Day in its full gore to weed out casuals

Seriously, did none of you fuckers ever play Black Ops 1.
>whaa vietnam when!!
>Black Ops 1
>silence afterwards every single time
Seriously Black Ops 1 is a good game, and it's made by Treyarch, the only one who tries to do new shit and also good stuff too.
I know the "ew CoD" branding, but the Black Ops games are the only good CoD nowadays.

When's the last time you played a fucking WW2 shooter that wasn't Red Orchestra. There haven't been many lately

>not saying rising storm

You're not even trying to hide the fact you're b8ing, are you?

Tripwire is a shit publisher, no thanks.

Are you serious?

WWII games as a whole have been sparse for the past decade, much less a triple AAA budget WWII shooter.

Are you telling me you have no interest to see the D-Day or Stalingrad level that 2017/2018 technology and unlimited money could produce?

>the same thing but with more polygons

Nigga please, cleanse yourself of the cinematic meme

i don't mind in the slightest that they're going back to ww2(in fact i wholeheartedly approve it)but i just know that they'll almost most definitely fuck it up and give us ww2 themed AW
they are not infinity ward and i'm extremely doubtful they can deliver the same experience as iw did with the original cod and it's sequel

>tfw no game with a shockingly violent and gory Antietam level

Civil War FPS could probably never really be done, but man I would love to see anything, even if just a movie, with unabashed Civil War frontline brutality.

It COULD be done but they would actually have to try making a good game.

>tfw no game with a shockingly violent and gory Antietam level

Yeah I remember my history teacher way back in middle school telling me it was buckets of blood crazy

>Another WWII shooter
>Korean War yet again ignored and forgotten
>Vietnam yet again ignored and forgotten

But no, we need another fucking WWII game. Is it better than another modern shooter / future shit? Yes, but at the same time there's so many wars that have never even had solid single player campaigns before, Korea for one, and there's only been maybe 1-2 modern FPS games that have had vietnam campaigns, and they weren't very good ones or high budget.

Fuck, even a Gulf War 1 game would be better than this shit.

Rising Storm 2 is in Vietnam. Leave settings like that to the smaller studios. They won't be perfect but it's better than AAA bungling it to epic proportions. Just look at Verdun vs. BF1. I'd much rather play the former because a smaller team with a reasonable budget doesn't need to fill the game with zeppelins exploding every three minutes and four hundred experimental weapons.

> caring about cawwwadooty

newfaggots get out

My point stands about Korea though, I still really would like to see a game. I can't think of a single video game that has ever covered the war anyways.

There's so much potential for a great game here, especially in the early years of the war.

It could follow several characters like previous CoD games have in the past, first starting with the first US involved battle at Osan in which a small US force attempted to delay the North Koreans from advancing south, and then move on to the Battle of the Pusan Perimeter in which the US and Koreans held out until a second front was opened by McArthur.

The fight would then shift to another character, a 1st Marine soldier landing at Incheon, and the advance into Seoul and northwards into North Korea, it would then cover the Battle of Chosin Reservoir and the US retreat. Then they could shift towards other US counter offensives and the eventual stalemate that ensused in 1952 / 1953 after China entered the war.

I'm a bit biased because I have relatives that fought there, but ffs there's so much material in Korea, and it would play very similar to a WWII shooter anyways, but we've already seen so fucking much of WWII and nothing from Korea so why the fuck not?

>Not even mentioned Kapyoug

People like you are the ones who give us Americans a bad name trying to suck up all the credit and glory.

>I'm a bit biased because I have relatives that fought there
Same with my grandfather. I think it gets overlooked because it was the 3rd major war that century, and Vietnam was much bigger and notorious and it only came two years after and lasted for two decades.

I agree it's overlooked in just about every possible way, vidya included. I don't know if anybody will ever tackle it though, if big studios can't bait retarded casuals with "DUDE DUBSTEP VERSION OF SEVEN NATION ARMY HAHA" they probably won't try it. It's a shame, though.

Americans did the vast majority of the work in Korea, sorry, but that's a fact. Over 300k Americans fought in Korea, only ~15k brits and a few thousand from each of the other UN nations that fought there, but Koreans and Americans did the vast majority of the fighting.

That said I wouldn't mind if the game had a multi focused approach and had soldiers from multiple countries participating in the war showcased, such as playing a Korean soldier or playing a Brit / NZ / Aussie, even a Turk since the Turks fought there too.

Sledgehammer. They did Advanced Warfare.

bitch shut the fuck up
cod as a series was originally CREATED with ww2 in mind
it's where it all started and came to be and it is objectively the best setting for any cod game as it's gameplay and mechanics fit that setting the best

It's definitely overlooked, and it's a shame because many Americans and others died in that war, and technically it's not even over.

My late grandfather was in Korea, he fought at Chosin and was wounded during the retreat there. He lost so many of his friends at Chosin, he never liked to talk about it so I don't know much about his experiences. My dad told me he was haunted by having to shoot at civilians for some reason though.

The setting was done to death, but it has died down, what was the last notable WWII FPS game?

I remember one came out in 2016 but it was trash and even people who played it forgot it. I forgot what it was called

If they manage to change some shit up in a WWII setting it would be interesting, maybe dialing up destruction mechanics or so, but since it's CoD it will just be the same old shit as before.

At least it will actually be on ball in regards to its setting, unlike BF1 with its autismaticos and trench fighter going 120 - 0 desu. And that was WWI, the war that no one could give a shit about.

>last notable WWII FPS game?
probably either Rising Storm, World at War, BF1943, or I guess Medal of Honor: Airborne.

Airborne was actually a very interesting game, shame it came out so late in the fad's cycle when few had interest.

I already said, I think it's better than another modern / futureshit shooter like the current trend is, but at the same time, there's so many avenues that have not been explored by this franchise and it doesn't make sense to move back to WWII again.

I mean honestly, what other stories are there to tell about WWII? Maybe the Italian campaign? Southern France? the Balkans? Battle of France? Maybe a completely pacific focused game? Oh wait, World at War already did that. I honestly can't think of any other significant part of WWII that hasn't been covered multiple times already. Maybe Guadalcanal, or the Philippines campaigns, or SE Asia in Burma? Burma / Singapore are probably some things that I think no video game has covered before, but they aren't that interesting.

I guarantee we'll just get another fucking Western Front Normandy / France / Belgium campaign that we've seen 10000x before, as we always do.

I might actually give cod a go now. Last one i enjoyed was WaW but did not even play it as much as previous ones. I would love if they went back all the way to cod 1 no health regen bullshit but cod audience will not stand for that im sure.

BAR makes me diamonds.

yeah but some of those are like 10 year old or so, WWII theme has cooled down

I just wish someone else gave the setting a try because CoD is just the same old shit all day.

Thats a good point actually. And it pleases people who love wwII/nostalgiafags. Hopefully.

But more then half of the troops didnt even fire theyr muskets.

>Activision

All the leaked shit just shows American soldiers hiding behind tank traps on a beach, meaning oh boy we're getting yet ANOTHER fucking normandy landing level, and the entire campaign is yet again going to be normandy focused.

ENOUGH! Fuck, if you're going to do WWII yet again at least pick some aspect of the war that hasn't been done to death already.

>what other stories are there to tell about WWII
it's all matter of perspective
seeing the same thing from a different angle may change your whole perception of it
with that being said eastern front of ww2 would've been most likely the best thing they could cover here (especially early days of operation barbarossa or case blue)

Eastern Front has been done to death as well, although there's a lot more to tell there.

It won't happen in this game though, the leaked promotional stuff shows American soldiers in Normandy, so if that's any indication we're likely getting another Omaha Beach landing sequence and Normandy campaign.

Babies who play CoD today were barely toddlers when the last WW2 CoD game was out

Tbh Black Ops/Cold War was the coolest setting and surprisingly unique as not many big shooters used it.

>Korean War
>Vietnam War
>Arab-Israeli Wars
>Cuba black ops shit
>Latin America dirty wars
>Angola/South Africa/Rhodesia
>Iran-Iraq Eastern Front style bloodbaths
>Arabs vs. Israel
>Vietnam vs. Pol/Pot China
>USSR vs China
>India vs Pakistan
>Afghanistan
>Portugal fighting commies in Africa

SO many different scenarios/weapons possibilities

Which shooters are based in the Vietnamese war?
Are there any?

Chaning the theme of the game won't fix the shitty spawns.

Yea everyone wants to shoot more sandnigger terrorists or Russian nationalists/terrorists for the millionth time too.

When will the developers and the retarded fanbase get it through their thick heads that the setting doesn't fucking matter if the core mechanics don't change? Every campaign for the last six years has been an on rails game of wack-a-mole that follows a B grade movie script. The majority of multiplayer maps still consist of small, static environments with 3 lanes built for 6v6 game modes. The way you select perks and kills streaks may be slightly different now but it doesn't change how the game plays out. By today's standards the old COD formular doesn't have enough depth and replayability for a $60 game.

I want WW2 shooters but I don't want AAA WW2 shooters since they will be literally the same boring shit all over again with same (((good boys USA army ))) vs evil Jews murderers axis plot, same scripted gameplay with just better graphics + dumb skins from supply crates and p2w uncrated guns

Battlefield Vietnam
Vietcong series
Shellshock Nam '67
Conflict Vietnam
Battlefield Bad Company 2: Vietnam
Eve pf Destruction
Project Reality
CoD Black Ops

isn't that why the fanbase keeps buying the game, though? People keep buying CoD rehashes because that's what they want: a new game barely updated coming out every year.