The Witcher

>want to play through the Witcher games
>start with the first game
>getting bored 3 hours in

can I just skip it - is two this boring?

Other urls found in this thread:

nexusmods.com/witcher/mods/669/?
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

theyre all boring

It picks up after the first chapter, once you're in the city.

Read the first two books.

The first two games are really shit

It's a miracle that not only there was a third but it did as well as it did

The first is very different to 2 and 3. Thats not to say its a bad game, but its a lot slower. 2 is a lot more of an action-RPG, so if you're into the world etc. I'd say just jump to 2. Thats what most people seem to do.

Personally I love all 3 of them.

HoS > TW3:WH > B&W > TW1 > TW2

How could you like three but not like two?

Started the series playing 1 a couple of days ago, I'm in the city now. Any tips, or missables?

same but TW2>TW1. Found 2's story to be more engaging.

>skip 1 and 2
>read synopsis on 1 and 2
>play and savor the sexual experience that is 3
>????
>profit

Not too personal for my taste.

two is better than three though

What the fuck is with these constant threads AND every fucking console kid "getting bored" of the first game?

It's still THE best game in the series. Apparently the idea of ROLE playing games is totally foreign to Xbots nowadays, as in they expect every "RPG" to be a DaS clone.

No, the series only goes DOWNHILL after the original. I only go to this series in around 2013, started from the beginning because I'd heard how "cool & controversial" the saga was.
I was blown away and enjoyed my time with TW1 tremendously, and replayed it immediately. Yeah, it's a bit slow burn kind of game, which I do enjoy at times, but definitely also VERY high reward kind of experience.

Soon after I got TW2 from Steam sales, hyped as fuck because dem graphix + awards. But jesus living fuck what a goddamn BUYER'S REMORSE that shit was! Clunky as fuck gameplay, terrible UI, linear as fuck, literal QTEs, writing all over the place... what the goddamn fuck happened??

And then there's the latest cancer: the TW3 fags. Your messiah game is merely a mediocre TW2.5, and still wastly inferior than the original.

>can I just skip it
You lose nothing from it since 2 and 1 are largely unrelated, plot-wise.
>is two this boring
it plays like somebody's first action combat system and it shows.

You'll only get to experience the witcher franchise once in your life. If you're a fan of rpgs than you owe it to yourself to play through the franchise the right way. Play 1, 2, and at least try the first couple books before playing 3. Alot of 3's appeal comes from references to the rest of the franchise.

You will not be able to see and experience everything on a single playthrough. And not everything will be as it seems.

Just enjoy your first run as blind as possible. Start experimenting and exploring your options more on later runs. Some stuff may make you shit bricks.

t. 4 playthroughs & considering 5th thanks to these threads.

Two is the best one. It's not boring at all, and I'm someone that usually doesn't play too much western rpgs.

It's also really short, so even if you're just playing it out of obligation it won't really take too long. Has some good replay value too.

Yeah actually.
Witcher 3 ignores the first two completely.
It pissed me off

First game isn't even on console. The first chapter is dull as fuck. I can't blame people for losing interest.

Get over yourself.

>getting bored 3 hours in
So you DON'T like exploring landscapes?
So you HATE comfy as fuck atmosphere?
So you DON'T like getting drunk, gambling and beating strangers for cash?
So you DIDN'T go around, fucking everything even seemingly female gender-ish?
So you DIDN'T even get through the swamp?

What the fuck DID you do exactly those first 3 hours??

>And then there's the latest cancer: the TW3 fags. Your messiah game is merely a mediocre TW2.5, and still wastly inferior than the original.

kek be buttmad, TW3 is fucking awesome and your PC prequels are skip able at best and forgettable at worst. in fact a synopsis isn't even needed, if your smart, most of the backstory can be gleaned from TW3 itself.

fucking hipsters

>Shani returns if you got the expansion pack like a good goy
>Rorche returns and the game begins with the nation being fucked as implied by the ending of 2
>ignores the first two completely
wut

>First game isn't even on console
And that's the main reason consolekids hype 2 and 3 to no ends, and get shocked when they finally get to pop the original.

>The first chapter is dull as fuck.
I disagree. You people should read more books.

>I can't blame people for losing interest.
I can. The iPhone generation is unimaginitive ADHD cancer.

constant backtracking to that fucking priest
killing dogs n shit

boring

>I disagree

oh fuck off you pretentious cunt, the first chapter is the worst part of the game

The driving force of the witcher 1 was Geralt's conflict with the wild hunt, and the impending doom of the white frost.

The driving force of the witcher 2 was the buildup to the second nilfgaardian wars.

Both of these are extremely relevant throughout 3.

Now you're being a contrarian, lad.
I've played through each game at least 3 times as they came out and can't name a single thing that TW3 doesn't take from TW1 and makes it bigger, better and more engaging.

2 is kinda meh, whatever. Serves a nice prologue to WH is what is does.

Can't change one's tastes, but I feel like you really underappreciate WH.

>constant backtracking to that fucking priest
So you people JUST do binary "Take a mission, return a mission", and nothing else between? Welp, talk about being mouth breathing robots.

>killing dogs n shit
...and?

>boring
you are.

>the first chapter is the worst part of the game
Which just goes to show how AMAZING the game is.

He's just a hipster cunt with his head so far up his ass, his balls need glasses.

last paragraph meant for what else is there to do early on except kill drowners, ghouls, and doggos? I also gambled and fist fought - the first chapter is ass - the game gets much better when you get into the city

>Now you're being a contrarian, lad.
I'm not. I've been saying this shit for years now. I absolutely LOATHE the direction the series took, and the tiny baby-steps to "right direction" TW3 did were absolutely not enough.

TW2 and 3 are prime examples of patronizing the players. However, seeing posts like the shit ITT, it is becoming more and more clear to me just how pathetic the main target audience is.

>I've played through each game at least 3 times as they came out and can't name a single thing that TW3 doesn't take from TW1 and makes it bigger, better and more engaging.
Gameplay and UI, just to start with something.
Also shit art directing, but that stuff will probably fly over your polycount-staring head.

>what else is there to do early on except kill drowners, ghouls, and doggos?
Anything you fucking want! That's what.
Which apparently is foreign concept to you, who must follow game's commands like a dog in a leash.

>I've played through each game at least 3 times as they came out and can't name a single thing that TW3 doesn't take from TW1 and makes it bigger, better and more engaging.

Sex with girls and sex cards. There it is.

>Anything you fucking want! That's what

like what

I can't go into the city, I can only do quest and side-quests which include constant backtracking and running from east to west.

1 > 3 > > > 2
#2 was a huge mistake. No idea how I slogged through it, but I don't wanna touch it again. The first one can be a bit of a culture shock to someone who's not played ye olde WRPGs a la Diablo / Neverwinter Nights / etc, which to me was the most normal shit in my youth, but I can ensure you it gets sooo much better towards the end.

You're literally bitching about being "stuck" in a section that should take like 30 minutes tops at calm pace? Jesus.

Game will get 100000x better when you get into the city.

If I recall my first time playing, the first Chapter 1 was pretty boring. Game got amazing in Chapter 2 though.

Not stuck on anything. If someone wants to take their time, and do all the sidequest, read books, pick flowers. It takes time. It's just the quests that are terrible in Chapter 1.

when talking about "chapter 1", you people mean the thing with the dog boss, or one after it? Because the earlier is over in no time, after which I found the game to be fairly smooth sailing and fun. Chapter 4 was absolutely amazing.

Chapter 1 is ghost doggo, yes. It's very dull, and the doggo fight sucks because if you do the right thing he literally dies in 3-4 hits.

>Gameplay and UI, just to start with something.
Those are minor things in such a journey that WH is, don't you think? I honestly was expecting something more serious. I really thought that combat in 3 was literally better than 1, simply because it allows you too look around and not just stare at the sword icon like in 1. Alchemy became casual af, but let's face it - you and I and every sane person would go crazy creating potions TW1 style in a game as huge as TW3 is. The amount of enemies alone would render old school alchemy dumb and unnecessary.

UI is literally the same.

Maybe you should go play Dragon Age: Inquisition.

>the doggo fight sucks because if you do the right thing he literally dies in 3-4 hits.
I thought the whole thing was meant to teach the player that you can (and should) beat bosses by other means than just clicking on them and swinging the sword? Similar things repeat later on in the story even.

Played all of them. First two games are skippable.

>Apparently the idea of ROLE playing games is totally foreign to Xbots nowadays, as in they expect every "RPG" to be a DaS clone.
Witcher is not an RPG game because you are shoehorned into playing the role of Geralt the Witcher.

That's not even true.

>convuluted political bullshit rather than hunting monsters

It got old quick.

>but let's face it - you and I and every sane person would go crazy creating potions TW1 style in a game as huge as TW3 is
That's not an excuse to make everything McMeal-tier simplified.

Which reminded me of the other major beef I've had with these games ever since TW2: The goddamn BATMAN VISION.

>inb4 "don't use it!"
If I got a penny every time I've heard that argument for numerous modern games...

Really? I'm loving it so far. Roughly 5 hours in fucking around in the swamp.

Well thing is, you can't NOT use it, cause it's literally hard to see all the cumstains in the grass and whatnot. So unless you're a fucking IRL witcher, you need this thing to see all the small details without making them too visible which would be dumb.

Gets better
Play more

what the fuck is that vomit-inflicting UI??

whats the best way to play

OTS or Classic?

I have terrible eyesight, and the original UI hurt my eyes.

>Well thing is, you can't NOT use it, cause it's literally hard to see all the cumstains in the grass and whatnot.
That's the whole joke here.
And it applies to so many other games too. If you turn EVERY handholding meme feature off, some games literally become unplayable trash that require you to pixel hunt and shoot blind, as devs no longer bother to make any kind of subtle guidance for the player once you got your spy-vision + item shimmer + quest arrows + button prompts placed in the game. It's pretty much the regenerating health of RPGs nowadays.

that is some excellent taste my friend

The great piece of critisism to TW3:WH's xray vision is that it was in Batman. Fucking bravo.

and somehow that edgy as fuck micro shit is EASIER for you to see, and does not poke your eyeballs to bloody pulp??

OTS for muh atmosphere, though Classic seems to make some people "get" the gameplay better. OTS apparently calls out the worst RE4 and DaS fags.

It goes to shit in the city.

No

If you seriously interpreted it like that, you really need to go back to school and take literature and media classes.

nexusmods.com/witcher/mods/669/?

I don't know why anyone would install this shit, but there you go.

Well he hasn't even got to the swamp yet

>I need to find the Salamander!
>but first, let's play detective and solve this case!
>oh no, the real culprit was the Salamander!
Yes.

The game at hand is TW3:WH, and in a game about witcher I'm more than fine with him using his super vision, literally, to see all the small detail, that are STILL THERE, but no average man in game or outside of it would see it.

All you do is talk about "muh games nowadays", yet xray vision in 3 is completely justified, looks just fine, is nor redundant in any way and completely in lore and in character so it's hard for me to point wtf you're on about. Adress your critisism to Batman instead, xray there is dumb, yeah.

>it gets good _____ hours in!

lol fuck off

the only worthwhile witcher game is the third

you can read the wiki if you want to avoid fucking up the main quest in act 2 but it'll be spoilerish

act 4 is when the game really hits its stride

Two is not exactly "boring". It's near unplayable, generic piece of shit. It was good for PC benchmarking at the time, but nothing special anymore.

I've started to notice a small trend here.
Both The Witcher and STALKER games seem to shake off many rookies these days at the very beginnin, partly because of their relatively slow and restricted start. The ones that do stay and finish them do tend to then get divided to two casts: those who dig the beginning the most, and those who think the game only truly "starts" a bit later.

The Witcher obviously plays a bit differently, but it definitely is not a stranger to the good ol' game design philosophy of NOT showing all the game's and story's cards on the first couple minutes, just so that it can surprise and exceed player's expectations.

good thing it isn't hours since the first chapter is over within one

>xray vision in 3 is completely justified
I disagree completely, as it only makes the game feel even more cheap and generic trash, aimed at the Ubisoft console-gamer market.

>the only worthwhile witcher game is the first
FTFY, my child.

Witcher 1 is so good, mang. The game is like the album Clayman. It's mainly oldschool but mixes in new influences to create an unique mix that's pure grandiose. But then the sequel already goes full retard with the new style and sucks. I still haven't played the third because I can't get over how much I dislike W2.

>trying to get Witcher 1 to work on an ultrawide

why do nostalgiafags call everyone child - what's with this inferiority complex

OTS during combat so you can quickly control which way you're facing

Classic during noncombat because why hold down the W key

Not that user but I believe it's time for you to be silent and let the adults speak about adult games.

if you're reading along and aren't such whether TW1 is a game you should try, know that they built TW1 with a modified version of the Neverwinter Nights 2 engine. if you are into older rpgs you will like it, but probably not if you don't like them

aging hipsters thinking their age means their taste is infallible

You can play third without first two, but I don't recommend skipping first one. It's a unique gem, sure it's a bit tedious, but I still think it's a great game.
is an example of great taste. I think TW3 is overall a much bigger and better game, but TW1 has a special charm of an old RPG, alchemy is great and it has much less handholding.
I hate TW2 though, what a stupid piece of shit.

>tfw loved NWN
>didn't like TW as much

This is agreeable.

Witcher 1 is pretty incredible for what it is but it does have a slow start. Frankly Chapter 3-4 is when it really starts coming together.

>also playing them for the firs time
>tfw just hit12 hours into 1 at about chapter 4
>all this shit talking about 2

welp

Try it out yourself. Some people love it, I personally don't, who knows, maybe you'll like it.
Just skip it and read the summary if it gets too boring.

Witcher 2 has a vexing bug where if you start a new game with any redkit mods enabled, your character stats get boosted way up making you one shot everything all game... it might make some people think the combat is retarded and designed that way since there's not much awareness of the bug

you have to start the game with mods disabled then save it, then reload with what every mods you want. the exception being Full Combat Rebalance, which fixes the error by itself

dice game is rigged

Download a savegame that let's you start from chapter 3 and read your journal/finished quests log to catch up on what you missed. That way you can skip the boring part.

>Gameplay is a minor thing

Enjoy your cartoony map auto tracker t0racker spider sense simulator then, I'll keep my dark sherlock investigation and deductive exploration

About to finish 1. Should I skip 2?

>It's not a role playing game
>You play the role of Geralt

You're gonna miss out on some details but the three Witcher games are relatively self contained. Or rather, you don't need to play Witcher 1 to understand Witcher w just like you don't need to have read the books to get the basic gist of the games.

3 = 2 > 1

I liked 3 a lot with the expansions, but I did not beat the game more than once. I beat Witcher 2 to completion like 5 times. Once for each path. Then once again for perfect play throughs of each path with the decisions I wanted to carry over. Then the 5th time was a speed run.

1 has the be characterization and lore. You really feel like you're in ancient times with it and how the buildings are huge, open yet built with stone sets the right mood. 2 has the best paths, decisions and outcomes since quests can have multiple junctions. 3 has the best world, combat, quests, mini games and pretty much everything else better, it takes what 2 did and adds a lot more while losing some gravity of the outcomes.

Witcher fan since 2009. What I say is pretty much law, you cannot possibly disagree.

The witcher 2 is absolute fucking garbage and no one should ever play it.

>nostalgia fags
how the fuck could you feel "nostalgic" to something released in 2007, especially if you played it for the first time in 2013?

Unless you literally were born in the year 2000, in which case yeah - you are a child.

Yeah. It barely matters.
Though I'd suggest replaying TW1 at least once now that it's fresh in your memory.

>you can't be nostalgic over something a decade old

>3 = 2 > 1

I hope this is bait.

i dont like the Sup Forums hivemind but i honestly found witcher 3 boring

2 is better than one. One only did niche specific things well, like the atmosphere and music. What did you love so much about Witcher1? The combat? 2&3 were better. The quests? 2&3 were better. The graphics? 2&3 were better. Number of enemies? 2&3 were better. The sound track? 2&3 had many more. The enemies? 2&3 had more. The alchemy or gear? 2&3 had more. The mini game dice poker? 2&3 had more.

I don't think it's nostalgia cause it was only 8 years ago but come on faggots. By any measurable meter, 2&3 did multitudes better in every category. Unless you fall back on old tired OPINIONS like; "dat sword is for humans" or "muh lady of the lake" while dismissing evidence like sad cucks that can't defend their arguments.

>2 had better combat than1
>roll roll roll roll roll roll roll roll roll
>roll roll roll roll roll roll roll roll roll

It's still better than clicking enemies to death

No, but ageing tends to mean you've actually had time to develop some taste.