What went wrong?

What went wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

xtremegaminerd.com/build-a-400-master-gaming-pc/
unifiedremote.com/features
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

in home streaming is pretty neat.
I was playing Dark Souls 3 in my living room with my shield tv and there was very little latency, it was actually quite playable.

A pc/console hybrid when everybody already either has a console or a pc with better specs. No market. No sales. Wrong.

Reviewers not giving it a fair chance, saying it's bad because it's different.

At least for the steam controller.

Which is the best controller to ever exist for gaming, i can play any game comfy on the couch

I've never seen a steam machine in person.

Need some advice because I'm dipshit and don't wanna fuck up, I've got a ps4 right now and I'm planning to build a decent PC this summer when I start working. Would £400 be enough to play on high settings? I've got a gaming PC from 2010, guess I can salvage the ram and hard drive.

steam machines were failures because they're just prebuilts.
PCfags build their own shit.
Big Picture is good, it's for PCfags that do want to build their own small living room PCs.
Streaming is good, it's for PCfags who don't want to invest that much money into it, a $35 raspberry pi or a steam link is all you need.

Valve completely misunderstanding the appeals of a console

>Steam controller
actually the only controller going for the mouse alternative
>Steam link
not the first one but a good product as long as you understand what it's supposed to do
>Steam machine
literally just any branded pc in your supermarket, except there is a Steam sticker on it.

pcbros are always telling me you can hook up your PC to your living room, why bother with the console?

just stay on PS4

Get both and play each of their exclusives?

Jewben

no one makes games for Linux

most people don't actually want to move their tower back and forth just to play a game for a few minutes to an hour.

Streaming is a good alternative, if your network can handle it you can get a low latency experience on a steam link, raspberry pi or android tv of your choice.

Living room PCs are more enthusiast, very few people want this.
Higher costs, higher power usage, less TV friendly interface outside of steam big picture.

The only way Steam can really become part of the console experience is if Sony or MS allow steam on their platforms.
Which I would fucking love, even if only indie games like Darkest Dungeon had crossbuy between PS4 and PC.

400 bongbucks could potentially let you play on high settings for now if you find good deals, but it'll be outdated for that very soon, probably in about a year

I don't think there's an exclusive for the steam machine.

i have never tried stream link but i always assumed the latency would be way too big to be playable.. also, not sure if you can stream movies/music from your pc through it??? or emulators??? i'm assuming it's just steam products

they should have never bothered with machines and just stuck with the controller and the link which is actually pretty nice.

>less TV friendly interface
>not using Unified remote on your phone while laying in bed

Steam controller is niche but great. It's suited for a handful of people that actually know what they want out of it with games that otherwise couldn't be played on a couch comfortably. People that buy it to replace a XB1 controller or kb+m entirely are retarded.
Steam link is great. I don't know what went wrong there as I'm not seeing it.
Everyone with half a brain knew Steam machines were over marketed junk. Can't go wrong if you never went right in that regard.

Not the steam machine a pc and console(s) Christ nobody should buy steaming pile machines.

ironically people who actually bought steam machines installed windows on it and just set steam big picture to auto boot.
The steam big picture linux distribution actually performed worse even without windows' bloat and had a much smaller library.
Using a touch screen is not a TV friendly experience.

Tell me you build and i can build onto it for you mayne

that's what I did with my Steam box.

Steam Controller and Steam Link are legit good.

Machines and SteamOS are total garbage.

>Using a touch screen is not a TV friendly experience
It works fine on my end.

god that looks like garbage.
I've used remotes like this for various projects, you can never just casually press something without looking at it.

You can go full botnet if you don't want to press anything

Fucking Hiro this glitch has been around for years fix it god damn.

all android tv remotes have voice search too.
you can't voice search to turn down the volume or seek forward a precise amount, which is why a remote is superior.

Also does this application let you use your phone's earphone jack to turn wired headphones into wireless ones?

MEMED

It's very playable it i got a fairly good network.

You just need a media player app downloaded on steam and then you could watch any video on your pc

Not really unless you're happy with cinematic 30, but it will be MUCH better then the regular ps4 and similar to the pro

xtremegaminerd.com/build-a-400-master-gaming-pc/

>does this application let you use your phone's earphone jack to turn wired headphones into wireless ones
I have no idea.
unifiedremote.com/features

this actually looks like a cool program, not better than a remote for watching stuff but the ability to remotely launch things on my PC without using remote desktop is interesting.

>Big Picture is good

I've played precision platformers over Wi-Fi with the steam link with no problem. I had to buy a modern MIMO router, though. It didn't work at all on my wireless n router.

It lets you stream your desktop, so basically any program on your computer works. You don't even have to launch it through steam.

What's wrong with it?

It doesn't bother me much, but the overlay can cause some issues in a few games, usually older ones, and even gives me lower fps in GTAV 5-10 difference, so not the end of the world.

The Steam controller is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

I would rather just connect a hdmi cable from my pc to hdtv. Or just a cheap google chromecast to stream right to my hdtv instead of buying a expensive jewvidya shield tv.

chromecasts are garbage, unless you're just wanting to watch youtube.
shield tv can emulate wii, can run its own Plex server with enough power to transcode multiple streams at once, has full Dolby audio support and supports 4k and HDR.

I had a nexus player before, it just had issues concerning wireless signal, processing power and codec support.
And it wasn't even powerful enough to emulate N64 well.

The problem was not being able to play all PC games comfortably from a couch.

It solved that issue.

Big Picture has a good amount of bugs. Try talking to people on your friends list in it, it'll quickly bug out to where the bottom line in the chat just isn't fucking shown. So you end up sending fucking . just to read stuff.
Also, they need to fix the filter for games that can be played with a controller. I know for Risk of Rain it says keyboard and mouse only, which just isn't true.

>Steam Controller
I own a PS4, so I just use those controllers for most games. Unless I'm emulating, then I'll use a GC or N64 controller or something.
>Steam Link
I have an HDMI cord running to my TV, don't need it.
>Steam Machine
I spent $1200 on this rig, the Steam Machine is shit in comparison.

I've used a Steam controller before
, and I refuse that it's anything better than a stale meme.

In terms of performance in first/third person games is it half way between a normal controller and KB/M?

I have a steam link and steam controller and they're awesome
I use the controller as a mouse from bed too

no clue about the steam machine though, never cared for it myself

wait how do you stream your desktop without steam?
when I did it I would start it up with big picture then alt tab out of it but it would chop the frame rate pretty hard like that

my wifi is absolute shit because my router would be very far from the steam link, but the pc and steam link would be very close together.. you're saying it would be broadcasting from the pc to the router, then to the steam link? fuck... i would get fucked then :/

the trackpad on the steam controller is good, and the amount of customization you have controller over is incredible so you can set it up perfectly for you, but there are times when I would prefer to have a d-pad and second joystick still

pretty sure you can chuck a cat5 between your computer and the steam link and bypass that

ya but unfortunately it's my parents' house otherwise i would have been direct connected to the router on my primary pc a long time ago... the joy of saving 2k a month on rent x.x

your parents wont let you run a single cable? It doesn't even have to be there constantly, just whenever you're using the steam link

nope, they're assholes. they think it ruins the aesthetic of the house and they won't let me drill holes either
i also have to pay for food and rent, but it's still WAY fucking cheaper than having my own place so i deal with it

one controller doesn't fit all situations.
the steam controller has a potentially high affinity for now typical third person games, the right touchpad walks all over a stick for camera control and the left combined with proper visual feedback can be as good or better than dpad-as-buttons.
as a straight up twinstick replacement, you're better off with a ds4 or whatever

the problem is its dependent on the client, while extremely powerful as is, has the constant stink of early access baked in. theres still a few no_text_description_yet spots and it has a chronic lack of numerical feedback to the point where you manually count notches on the sliders to approximate your desired percentages. the most tedious is anything that involves the overlay or absolute mouse position, no numbers is one thing but the total lack of direct point n click setup in the user config is totally unforgivable in current millennium.
feels like something that should have been 95% feature complete after 3 months rather than the 3 or more years it will likely take. hell, maybe they should scrap the whole thing and start over

You can use it to elimiate t his during the summer...

Nobody has interest in steam machines. Otherwise they're doing well.

Yes. Also what's with the question mark?

The Steam Controller is pretty interesting.

>Controller
Left Dpad, otherwise nothing.
>Link
Nothing
>Steam Machines
linux

>most people don't actually want to move their tower back and forth just to play a game for a few minutes to an hour.
Long ass HDMI cable.

That said, I own a Steam Link and even though Valve added more controller options on PC (being able to change them like a Steam controller), it's still a pain to play any game that isn't supported by a controller natively I just ended up buying XCOM 1/2 for console because PC controls were shitty without KB+M.

Not that there should be. The unfortunate equation here is that for a "console" to make big bucks is for it to have exclusives so that people are forced to invest in that console and PC gaming in essence in quite opposed to that.

As far as Steam Machines go:
>Launched without primary Vulkan graphics API, and without any support for AMD hardware
>As a result needed expensive discrete CPU and GPU putting the price too high, and some vendors ignored the core concept of a 'console' entirely and just slapped it into their high-end builds
>Held to different standards than other consoles, tons of complaints about not working with weird computer monitors, or how it doesn't have as many games as Windows

Here's the thing though, if you look at the first round of systems as being more like other console's early dev kits then its not that different.
Valve has been hiring a bunch of Linux driver and graphics layer devs recently to work specifically on the unofficial open source Vulkan driver for AMD hardware.
Which is exactly what they need to do if they want to compete against the consoles more directly.

They also still need to wave some of that Steam money around and get companies to deliver on their promises, or stop being assholes. Zenimax for instance has devs who make good cross-platform games, there's no reason why the new DOOM for instance should or all the classic Id games be Windows-only on Steam other than Zenimax's idiotic corporate policies.

If Valve really want Steam Machines to work, they're unfortunately going to need to hit back against UWP with their own 'Universal' runtime that's required to be in their store. It wouldn't be that hard for them to do it, and then start pushing devs to use SDL, Vulkan, and standards compliant file naming structures and system calls everywhere. If they were to fund projects like vk9 it might help.