How old is considered too old to chase a childhood dream...

How old is considered too old to chase a childhood dream? I am seriously considering dropping out of med school and start doing what I've been wanting to do since childhood, which has always been making video games. How good is the vidya market for late newcomers? I've been developing tons of ideas for video games since memory serves me right.

this thread sucks

You can always finish the school and try to develop games afterwards as a hobby. There's literally no good reason to throw the future away for a business that's already dwindling

>How old is considered too old to chase a childhood dream? I am seriously considering dropping out of med school and start doing what I've been wanting to do since childhood, which has always been becoming a shemale prostitute
ftfy

Before you hit 30, that´s when you should stop dreaming unless you have had success. Do you have time?

>I've been developing tons of ideas

Ideas won't bring you far if you're not good at what you're doing.
Plus, most of your ideas are gonna be discarded anyway, not taken into consideration or won't fit the budget.

Hideo Kojima is over 50, and literally living his dream.

Let that sink.

Learn and do it on the side, if you can get good and get your work out there then go for it

Remember that the guy who played Snape got into acting in his 40s so no it's never too late

i use hot showers for physical warmth because my house is cold as shit

fug

Find a connection and get firm offers, then drop out.

You will succeed, its just about dedication. The truth is a lot of people would see their dreams come true.. if they worked 12 hours a day every day. But 99% of people would rather spend time with their family or go see a movie or play video games or whatever.

And dont worry about money. Money will follow if you are passionate. But you have to marry this dream of yours and you have to dream of it at night. You have to wake up out of bed with fresh new ideas that excite you. The key to life s really just finding a job you fall in love with and most people just settle. Nobody takes the risk and searches for a job that really fits them, they just take the high paying job or the one they think they are worth think they cant get a better one.

tldr; the worlds full of underachievers and nonbelievers.

Technically speaking it's never too late.
People don't care if a game is made by a 19 year old or someone past 50, as long as it's good.

However, is it practical for you to do? You need some skills other than ideas - everyone has ideas.
Can you afford the time/money needed to learn the skills you need? Doesn't matter how old you are, you need food, rent, gas, etc.
The bar between creator and consumer has never been lower in gaming - everything can be greenlit in Steam. But it's harder to stand out. You need some skills to get your game noticed - and you need a fuckload of skills to make a living doing it... unless you can get lucky with some shitty game that some group loves.

I take long showers because I take my dildos with me whenever I do.

Every person that plays games has ideas. Don't be the ideas guy. Either you have something innovative for the scene or you have nothing.

You aren't guaranteed success even if you grind hours upon hours every week for something you love.

At some point natural talent is needed to succeed and most people lack talent at what they love.

i tend to take quick cold showers. what does that say about me?

so this is the power of college education

>considering dropping out of med school

Or you know, get the degree and then go do it? Or do something small on free time to see if its actually any fun or if you're any good at it.

Are you Japanese? If not then fuck off lazyass shit

This is a bad case of correlation =/= dependence.

>At some point natural talent is needed to succeed and most people lack talent at what they love.

And luck. Luck is important too. You can be talented and do everything right, and then something will fuck it up for you and you won't gain anything.
On the other hand, some people just happen to get lucky without having a lot of talent.

>demon king (female)

Well, perhaps that's because they don't have a fucking girlfriend/boyfriend/kids/whatever that needs to use the shower/bath too?
If you're alone you can more easily spend more time taking showers and baths. And if you're alone you are more likely to feel lonely.

don't turn your hobby into your job

I have depression and my showers are pretty much in and out within 2 minutes. This study is fucking bullshit.

>hot baths
Why would you did this? I imagine that you'll be sweating all over again as soon as you leave the bath.

>people are lonely
>don't have significant other
>no outlet for sexual needs
>masturbate in shower
>this takes time
Wow, lonely people tale longer showers. Who know?

This.
If you did this you'll lose your hobby.

How do you decide to make video games when you know Sup Forums shits on western indie all fucking day?

Game dev is not a safe vital investment. Do like said and pursue it as a hobby. You'll also find your career in the medical field might provide you some damn good financial backbone for covering those hurdles in your first commercial project.

As far as the market is concerned, now's better than never. Indies still haven't saturated the market to the point where it's become a highly critical concern. The worst that's happened so far is Greenlight being replaced due to quality control on Steam not properly controlling the influx of new games, though that was probably for the better anyway.

Honestly, don't worry about the market. Make the game you want to make, it's the only way it'll be good. Don't go into it for money, do it for love. After all, the easiest demographic to target is the demographic like yourself; they're a bunch you'll definitely know how to connect with.

If you're not Japanese or don't have plan to move there might as well continue with your med school, chasing your childhood dream is a good thing but make sure you have proper preparation before doing so, it'll be extremly hurt if you fail to achieve your dream since it takes your time too.

>asking 4chins about life advice
>oy vey

Life is pointless anyway do whatever senpai

Don't OP. Finish your school, get stable job, make games in spare time. Or start make game in your spare time now. Going indie is your best bet. Joining studio means you work according to their design not yours.

It really depends on the person.
Yes, in a lot of cases people like the idea of working with their hobby, but will find that it's not at all like actually doing their hobby for fun and be discouraged.
However, some people will find that they love approaching their hobby from a new angle, to dive deeper into what makes their hobby fun, and they will appreciate their hobby even more now that they have a better understanding of it.

But it also depends on what exactly you're doing and how.
If you like video games you might like writing dialogue for characters, designing new characters or levels, planning out balance or gameplay changes, creating AI or music, etc. On the other hand, having a job as a game-tester could suck the life out of you.

Majority of people use their hobby for distraction from their tiring & boring job.
If they make their hobby as their job, they have nowhere to go when they finally got tired.

Bioware's founders are doctors too. Check out the great games they've made like Mass Effect:Andromeda

Like I said, it depends on the person.
I agree that a lot of people, perhaps even most of them, would feel like that. But remember that some people do love working with stuff they enjoy in their spare time.
Musicians love listening to music. Film makers are interested in new film releases. Board game creators love experiencing new mechanics in other board games. And so on.
No, it's not for everyone. I personally love vidya and couldn't see myself working seriously with it. I love it as a hobby, not as something I'd be forced to do. I don't care for coding or creating content.
But I think it's worth trying, or at least thinking about. Some people can make their hobby into a job and be capable of enjoying both.