Redpill me on this franchise

Redpill me on this franchise

Masterpiece or artificial difficulty?
Skip the second one which is shat on on Sup Forums?
Mods necessary?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2wLHbKPRgUM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Artificial difficulty held up by bad controls and bad camera angles.

They are literally akin to playing the first Resident Evil games with enemies that are sped up and damage sponges.

git gud

bloodborne > demon's souls > dark souls 3 > dark souls 1

DeS, DaS and BB are all modern masterpieces.
DaS2 has a lot of great ideas but had a rough development cycle. There's a lot of blatantly unfinished levels. Scholar and the DLC make it worth a few playthroughs.
DaS3 is a huge step back in every regard.

Not an argument, friend.

the only damage sponge enemies in the entire dark souls series are ancient dragon in ds2 and currently midir+gael in ds3

bloodborne is the bastion of damage sponge bosses

not near as good as half of Sup Forums says it is but also not near as bad as the other half like says. a somewhat unintuitive game that tells the player very little gameplay and lore wise with decent combat and very shit enemy placement that only serves to punish first time players.

they would have to be hard in the first place

Or maybe thats the point of the game. To make sure you're careful and don't just rush in, and to also bring challenge. Stop being a casual jesus

No its pretty good. DS2 was definitely fucked when it came out. They fixed it a bit and its not bad but some parts are still not fun at all.

Still I think you will enjoy the series op. If you like a good challenge.

Miyazaki tier
DaS > BB > DaS3 > DeS

Other guys tier
DaS2 > nioh > LotF

Miyazaki brought fewer new ideas to the table as the series progressed but the games got less janky overall. The extreme ends of the jank-idea spectrum are not as good as the compromise between the two. Play DaS and BB and move on from the series.

Other devs has tried to make their own version of a souls game to varied success. It's worth mentioning however that these game brought more new ideas to the formula than miyazaki did with his later games.

Also, "redpill" is a meme from the matrix generally used to imply alternative realities and has been used to degenerate people's trust in information and truth. Because of that I have actually failed by respond to your post OP. Because I told you the reality of things.

I wish it was more like bloodborne

>walk through fog gate
>instantly eaten by dogs
>walk through forest.
>shot by off screen hydra
>walk into room
>get fucked by a caster you couldn't possibly see
>anor londo archers
right im sure absolutely none of thee got you the first time. the enemy placement is specifically set up to be unfair to the player first time through, no amount of caution is going to prevent cheap deaths
>inb4 "I beat the whole game in one life first try
while masturbating"

Play them all you filthy casual

Dark Souls Trilogy when??

Play DeS, DaS and BB

Ignore the other two

>instantly eaten by dogs
dont remember this moment
>shot by off screen hydra
you hear him shooting and when you turn to the right you can see giant balls flying at you.
>get fucked by a caster you couldn't possibly see
the church? didn't even know he was up there until I ascended the stairs. then i killed him with no problem. if you're talking about seathe's area, then yeah it was shit a shit area but all you have to do is be careful
>anor londo archers
I went up the right side and stayed my distance. when he was reloading his bow I just attacked him, then backed off. rinse and repeat. didnt even touch the archer on the left

oh fuck you're talking about the capra demon. I just rolled to the stairs and killed the dogs when they came up them because the AI made them go up one at a time. I then used the stairs as a way to kite the boss

cool anime picture

get the game of the year edition on sale

The most satisfying games ever made

>Masterpiece or artificial difficulty?
That's a big spectrum. Instead of opposite extremes, how about "Does a lot of interesting design choices, but is unpolished and doesn't always work out."

>Skip the second one which is shat on on Sup Forums?
Some people shit on it. Other people say it's the best in the series. Why do you care? Form your own opinion. What if you really like it?

>Mods necessary
DSfix is probably necessary. You can do the usual ENB and texture improvements if you want.

>I played vidya my whole life
>I best at vidya
>Beat Bloodborne
>I'm king of vidya
>Never played a Dark Souls game before
>Finally get around to playing Dark Souls 3
>Realize I suck at vidya

Good game though.

Damage sponges are often a lazy way to up the difficulty but they're still valid in my opinion. It forces you to have endurance and not make mistakes, because your health and heals have to last longer.

I think people are too spoiled by Zelda "find the obvious weak point and hit it three times" stuff.

A mediocre arpg made 'difficult' by bad design choices such as jumpscare enemies and traps that will one hit you the first time, respawning enemies every time you use a bonfire etc.

If you're looking for a challenging game grab MHFU cheap. Superior in every way

>he died to the hydra

Scrub. Also the Anor Londo archers shouldn't surprise you

I thought that the whole point of dark souls was that you are put in a very unfair and disadvantaged position and have to fight your way to the end over and over until you make it and realize you turned into a paranoid crazy hobo that peeks around every corner and shoots every chest he finds.
I thought the point was to fuck you over so much that in the end you turned so paranoid that to the eyes of someone that never played you act like a madman

Then there is ng++ and you end up steamrolling everything wich kind of killed the point for me

If ive never played a Dark Souls game is Dark Souls 3 a good place to start?

It's legitimately the best series of the past decade bar none. The number of playstyles, the sense of discovery and the atmosphere are top notch. Combat is perfect for what it is, putting the focus on the enemies. The game isn't hard, and there are few to know cheap moments.

This series revitalized my interest in vidya. I was about to sell my consoles when I played this and now I can't get enough.

Play all of em in whatever order. You can start with 3 since it's currently the most active

>Daily reminder that if you summoned any NPC or friend to help you in your first playthrough you haven't played the game properly

You don't know "artificial difficulty" until you've played Bloodborne.
No, do not skip the second one, make up your own fucking mind you goddamn baby.
There are no mods and you don't need them, the only game that needed mods was DS1 to fix the resolution and the multiplayer.

Literally everything about this post is incorrect.

Fuck off.

git gud

/thread
You're literally missing half the challenge and experience getting help from anyone.

I played DS1 loved it, so much so I haven't bothered with the sequels because there's no need.

>damage sponges
>there's like 3 enemies in all of DS1 that can't be killed in a single hit

>Walk through fog gate
>instantly eaten by dogs
There's one moment in the first game that does this, and you removed all context from it. It's meant to be a boss battle that conveys a moment of urgency, and forces you to think quick.
Also, don't lie, the dogs didn't kill you, Capra did, which is again, the point, the dogs are the bait. It's one of the fuck "Oh fuck what the fuck do I do" moments in the game (unless you're a scrub who just runs into situations blind).

Skip the entire series and play Armored Core instead

>He didn't beat the whole game in one life with his feet while juggling and getting his dick sucked

or dont fight him at all till your super overleveled, first time i played the first capra demon i saw was guarding the entrance to the demon ruins.

Staying healed up and keeping your shield raised solves all of those except the capra demon fight, which is pretty bullshit the first time but I think it's a pretty interesting challenge once you understand what you're faced with.

>says DS is a masterpeice
>complains that there's a lot of blatantly unfinished levels in ds2
>it's almost as if you didn't play DS

this pretty much if you summon you play the wrong.

>Masterpiece
Mostly
>artificial difficulty
In some places
>Skip the second one which is shat on on Sup Forums?
Yes
>Mods necessary?
No

I used to get summoned for bosses I struggled with solo to help some people out who wanted to just continue with the game, though if I ever encountered someone entering a fog gate and then a cutscene commenced (meaning they hadn't even faced the boss before) I used to just wait outside and let them do it solo, spamming the 'Very Good' stone.

Got so much hate mail from faggots who don't even try.

a guy did a video on jewtube about how some bosses and enemies in 3 are actually unfair, like in sully, the startup animation for 3 different attacks is the same, which makes dodging/blocking a guessing games, he also demonstrated how some attacks are as fast as 9 fps, while average reaction time is about 12

Dark Souls was never meant to have sequels, other than story you can see how the sequels are running out of ideas mechanically. Other than a few exceptions the way things are changed up is by literally adjusting the number of things in the game, there may be more enemies, multi enemy bosses, more boss phases and they mix and match these to try and keep the game fresh, however they have clearly hit a brick wall at this point as to what they can do.

>Redpill me

Dark Souls and Bloodborne are absolute masterpieces, each in their own way
Dark Souls 3 is a solid and fun game, but not very original
2 is alright, but dissapointing compared to the others
haven't played demon's

link?

>shit unfunny Sup Forums memes

youtube.com/watch?v=2wLHbKPRgUM

30 min mark

also, it's 15 frames reaction time, but in 60 fps

you're a douchebag

>Masterpiece
Not by a long shot. It definitely has its flaws, and they're big ones at that. The whole game is pretty but pretty uninspired.

>uninspired
Are you talking about the whole series?