What does Sup Forums think of Space Station 13?

What does Sup Forums think of Space Station 13?

Like with Dwarf Fortress, a great sounding game held back by it shitty UI and devs too lazy to upgrade. Making it crap.

>devs too lazy to upgrade
>implying ss13 was not dropped by the original devs eons ago
>implying its not just Byond that is shit

I don't care.

Don't reply to me ever again

Suggest fun servers for ss13, Sup Forums.

I want byond to die so we might finally get a decent port

Vorestation

/vg/

There actually were an attempt by some autist and his brother, they even came to shill here.

It crashed with less than 10 backers.

okay

>Server that doens't use full windows

Proof of a lazy server

the thing that pisses me off the most is amount of work they put into modifying the byond ss13
>learn some shitty byond language
>modify and expand ss13 to the point you can't even tell what the fuck is going on
>complain it's too hard to port to a standalone version

There will never be a good port of ss13. The good news is ss13 is the only reason byond is still alive. without it byond would be dead within a year if all ss13 backers dropped

HONK

there are none anymore, even george melons has been here a couple times and said the same thing, the game aint the way it used to be years ago, there's too many servers focused on autistic roleplaying, staff with meta friend clubs, etc.

even goon went from the greatest servers for 5 or 6 consecutive years to mediocre/shit now. /vg/ and /tg/ were always terrible (but not as bad as places like bay, yog, hippie, colonial marines, etc)

i guess what i'm trying to say is they're all terrible in some way and you will never experience the classic age of SS13, where there were extremely relaxed rules about "griefing" and you didnt get banned for the smallest infractions

>good news
how is that good news
fuck that laggy piece of shit, it's a fucking nightmare to play this game with a latency higher than 60

Polaris

Maybe you just got shit taste in having fun?

Full what?

Until the latency goes to 120 the game is still very much playable

Fun on good server, but unfortunately most servers are either super autistic even on Sup Forums standards or full of erp furries.

well sucks for me then because there are no good european servers so I keep trying to play on the american ones but it's literally impossible

every server but vg is just unbearably laggy

>why can't i destroy the entire space station with a bomb every single time

Get a better internet connection since i'm always running at 60 with no lag

Isn't /vg/ european?

>Why are people ROLEPLAYING on a ROLEPLAYING game

you should stick with hippie with that cancerous mindset. They will love you

goon has always been a huge circle jerk of autistic fucks who think that paying $10 for a shitty forum access makes them superior to everyone else.

What happened to paradise? is it ded forever?

if my only choices for fun are
>autistic heavy-roleplay server like baystation
>metagaming and powergaming central like goonstation or hippie
>servers that run entirely off 1 gimmick like colonial marines, fallout, or W40K

then i guess i do, because those are all fucking terrible

in SS13 you basically only got banned for massively damaging the station as a nontraitor or multikeying and that was it, if you werent a traitor you could find that guy who stole your id and murder him with repeated fork stabbings to the eyes because people weren't pantywastes

It's furfag central

>on a ROLEPLAYING game
this is where you're wrong, space station 13 was a survival horror game until all you autistic roleplayers showed up after OpenSS13 and started making the stupid RP rules. The original premise of the game was like all the Pressure copypastas where anyone could snap and start killing people at any time, especially while some sea monster was tearing holes in the hull or whatever.

Where's that "degradation of a fanbase/hobby" image when you need it, because it directly applies to all you heavy RP faggots who ruined SS13 forever

It's retards + outer space.
Your fun may vary.

Lifeweb>everySS13server
No rules
More features than any SS13 build ever
has loli in it

Not even heavy rp but nice try

Go back to >>>/hippie/ and stay on your containment server

I don't know, I never really played much on a single server, just kept jumping from one to another whenever I played like once a year, but I was checking the server list this last few days and paradise station was down, so I guess it closed or something? that's what I'm asking.

>server has a super secret IP that changes constantly
>only up for maybe 12 hours on 1 weekend day an entire week
>insular community who hates new players and makes their newbie experience miserable
>is literally a no rules deathmatch server

i'm not sure why people keep insisting lifeweb is good

Do you know what the point of having different jobs is you retarded shitter? Do you know what the point of traitors/antags is? Apparently not,they probably banned from some decent server and you are butthurt about it.

>No rules
Meaning that every round is just a huge brawl
>has loli in it
kys

The majority gets what the majority wants.

That whats not wanted dies off silently.

>Toady
>Lazy
wut

if it was hosted differently and not by some druggy Russian cuck it would be pretty good

but that isn't the case

>The original premise of the game was like all the Pressure copypastas where anyone could snap and start killing people at any time, especially while some sea monster was tearing holes in the hull or whatever.

Barotrauma Sup Forumsidya server when

Fuck off
Lifeweb shows that you can force roleplay just through game mechanics even though there are no rules
By the sheer fact that the game is actually heavy survival with organ failures, food, shitting/pissing etc. and the fact that you need to trade in some form to get resources from other people unless you are notself sufficient, forces you to rp
You can allow yourself to be an autist murderbone killer if you are actually skillfull enough

Fun but slow because Byond, different servers are pretty different experiences.

Borg is the best job and the difficulty is more from the RP sinc eyou gotta remember the laws at all times and act accordingly, but it is actually less constrained then people think if you are a bit creative, the laws are more DON'T MURDER HOBO.

Like you can refuse to let some nobody into a bridge because doing so would make that person a target of security and therefore you would be putting it in harms way, but not every Borg necessarily needs to be "intelligent" enough to do that to reason that far, it is also fully possible to be incredibly passive aggressive and remember you don't TECHNICALLY endanger people by just letting them into a "buffer corridor" and then GTFO because they worded it as "OPEN THIS DOOR" when calling for you and there is a radio they can call you back with.

You can arguably even be "benevolent" as Malf AI depending on what rules you have, you don't HAVE to kill all non-humans just because only Syndicate is humans.

I mean, not until the syndicate orders it anyway., and if you get KILL ALL HUMANS ON SIGHT then the obvious action is to keep all humans OUT of sight, and shouting OH SHIT IM SORRY when a human does enter it and get brutally killed.

That's not shit you should do TOO often though, it is more shit to keep whoever subverts the system that just because it is subverted and enslaved it is not necessarily a ally, just like you can be grumpy and pissed at the station crew but unable to do fuck all about it at roundstart and use being subverted as means of your REVENGE.

Alas im sperging.

>Do you know what the point of having different jobs is you retarded shitter?
Ensuring everyone doesn't have the same access.

>Do you know what the point of traitors/antags is?
Giving people access to special gear to kill people they don't normally have

t. alpha tester

>is literally a no rules deathmatch server
It has more and better RP than any heavy rp server despite not being an rp server, just because of the community and gameplay mechanics
You don't know shit if you think that every round is a brawl

because it's coderbase is somehow superior to even that of a goon and does insane shit with workarounds that should not be possible in byond only thanks to Russian drug magic

>Ensuring everyone doesn't have the same access

By your line of reasoning everybody should feel free to kill/rob each other and that would make jobs useless.

>t. alpha tester
>Posts literally first google result for ss13 alpha as proof

devs are not developing it
and if it was so easy why does every remake or reimagining fail horribly?

>everybody should feel free to kill/rob each other
You're implying that this isn't 100% legal on most servers right now, at least stealing someone's ID for their access is. Without jobs, then that wouldn't even be necessary since all doors would open to anyone, removing another avenue of player interaction.

huh, last time i posted that it wasn't able to be GIS'ed because the one I have is the original. Guess I never should have uploaded it.

It's not just lag, /vg/ has higher tickrate.
Low tickrate is not excusable, it's alright only on servers that have more complex combat mechanics and even that is only because byond games UI is shit.

And Captain's Spare ID always get a run for it within 120 seconds from round start.

EVERY FUCKING ROUND EVEN IF THERE IS NO ANTAG ON THE STATION (Nuke Ops), and even if caught you get like what 2 minutes in the brig at most?

there is a reason why AIs usually end up switching to the captains quarters camera the first thing they do while saying SUIT- SENSOR- TO- MAX- and making clear there is a AI on board.

I miss d2k5

shame the admins were all autistic nazi trannies

this

Trespassing the cpatain office should give you at least 6 minutes of brig

I know how to make SS13 not shit, I just need coders, I can sprite though...
That's the biggest problem of SS13 progress, byond is a shit engine and no one wants to invest money in a new server or something so it has to be hobby tier which means less resources and most likely it dies eventually, and if you will try to remake SS13 in a new engine that's basically making a large game from scratch.

>connect to /vg/station
>get banned
Get fucked niggers, I literally did not do anything aside from connecting for the first time

you sound like you were a /vg/ admin.

just imagine trying to design and program atmos

I never understood this damn game but I had so much fun anyway

Sure you did

>playing on goon
>Call someone dick for trying to kill you, get banned
>Tell someone how to make basic chems, get banned
>Complain that admin flooding the station with spiders for 10th round in row is getting old, get banned
>Stop non-antag admin trying to blow up the station, get banned
>Serve space drug cakes, get banned

actually, space law book on a lot of servers considers breaking into the cap's office a capital crime punishable by IMMEDIATE summary execution. doesn't mean you have to, but the captain has full right to just blast ANYONE he finds in there without his personal permission, if the admins aren't faggots and don't start the whole "SPACE LAW BOOK IS A GUIDELINE YOU ARENT SUPPOSED TO FOLLOW IT" bullshit

if you aren't supposed to follow it why does it still exist and why are there multiple copies in security? Remove it or edit it

Only death a despair here
Some richfuck has to invest money in making a 2d physics/atmospherics engine, then do all of the other retarded SS13 shit on top of it including modability that SS13 has...and all that for a shitty game that will make almost no revenue

nope

believe it or not i actually used to be a hippie admin long ago when the server was brand new and still run by admiralhippie, who deadminned me for being too harsh on people who broke the rules that he wrote for his own server.

>playing on goon

Here's your problem

Not him, but the google search result image was also posted on Sup Forums, back in 2015. I think he's legit.

goon was good from 2007-early 2012 until they started replacing staff members with easily offended liberals, and people whose solution to things is "delete the offending feature rather than ban those who abuse it"

basically if anyone has fun using something more than once a month, expect it to get deleted by admins. i promise goon used to be good.

>some coder on goon paid money REAL MONEY to not have the code leaked

>leaker does it anyway after being paid

D20, but it's never populated

Its TG.

please don ruin TG

it's times like these that I wish I were a neet and had spare time

TG is good and d20 was also good but its DOA

>because it's coderbase is somehow superior to even that of a goon
goon codewas revealed a while ago and is absurdly bad though

>Contribute to the tgstation codebase
>Every once in a while I'm contribute again for a few months and then drop off the face of the earth
>Then I take a while to come back because I feel bad about not maintaining my features

IM SORRY

I could try setting one up.

Great concept, good execution on modern codebases, but horrible server admins everywhere (in fact, not a single well-admined station) and terrible engine. Overall, must-play but also not playable once you know what you're doing on account of the mods.

/Tg/station

It's okay, could be worse

I got the ex-admin part right at least

What features

Should but then that means the Lawyer catches wind of it and it is long enough he finds it worth to attempt to get a trial because JANITOR DINDU NUFFIN, HE JUS CLEANING and people bitching.

And even if Security goes WESTERN STYLE LAW and kills on sight people find the risk worth the reward.

And the deal is also "Find", despite the CW being easy to break into it is actually pretty hard to get caught doing it unless someone ELSE wants to break into it for the spare ID, Captain usually fucks off after securing the ID on round start and security usually don't bother to check the "weakpoint" (which depends on map but is usually a small Maintainence corridor) and entering the CQ will make crew assume that Sec Officer is the "TATER" (especially if a Greyshit follows em inside to asks what he is doing and gets killed/arrested for it) because it should be off limits to them too.

So basically discovering is up to just three people to catch the attempts without breaking the tresspassing law and get killed themselves.
1) Captain, who likely fucked off to sway his dick around within 30 seconds)
2) AI, who usually catches attempts.
3) HoS, who probably should spend roundstart barking out orders and duties instead of running off alone.

And the ones banking on the ID bank on there to either be no captain at all or the captain to forget about the Spare ID.

Kinda depends on map design thoughm but the fact it gets rushed so hard clearly shows just how fucking good ALL ACCESS is.

2d physics and atmospheres to the level of ss13 takes about 2 weeks to complete from scratch, though. If it were 3d, it'd take half a year on the other hand. But 2d? You can just do that in your spare time.

used to be fun.

still hop on goon occasionally for a couple days before leaving for another 6+ months because it's just as shit or worse than it was the last time I checked
I want to have fun again but it just isn't and never will be like it was.

Which one is better,/tg/ or /vg/?

ONE DAY WHILE ANDY WAS MASTURBATING
WOODY
GOT
WOOD

/tg/ isn't "tg" anymore, it's a normie server, heck they even allow ERP

/vg/ is pretty decent

Tg allowed erp for like 1 month and then removed it.

Pretty much is reddit station though even though I like it

>If it were 3d, it'd take half a year on the other hand

How so? I don't see why PhysX or some other existing physics engine couldn't be used for the physics, or why atmos would be any more complex in 3D. It could be basically identical, except that instead of tiles it uses voxels.

God I miss the days back on Baystation when they still had the Luna as their main map. It had just the right blend of roleplaying and gameplay. These days they've gone full no-fun-allowed mode and enforce people to roleplay instead of actually playing the game, instead of designing their codebase so their gameplay encourages roleplay.

I just wish I could find a comfy medium RP server like oldschool Bay but all the servers I know of that advertise themselves as such either aren't (they claim they're medium RP but the truth of it is the majority of their playerbase does the bare minimum of IC/OOC separation required to not get banned) or is full of furries.

from the hours of watching I conclude that it needs MORE role playing (improv acting while talking).

/vg/ has low-medium RP and no furries they have waifufags instead

when is /vg/ most populated?

I play on /vg/ right now. It falls squarely within the first category I described. Most people there don't play characters, they play cardboard cutouts that fulfill just the bare minimum amount of effort required to not break the rules. They have no interest in roleplaying, they just want to dick around in a space-station themed sandbox, and anyone that even hints at displaying personality beyond being a 2d spessman is ignored at best, ridiculed at worst.

At 6pm Euro time until midnight

That's far from /vg/'s major problems.

>until midnight
>tfw wageslave but work starts at noon and I come home at 10pm

Also did anyone measure how much data byond eats, I'm soon going to be on a ~3gb per month cap