So how fucked are the western video game world when Microsoft inevitably pull out of the console race?

So how fucked are the western video game world when Microsoft inevitably pull out of the console race?

Other urls found in this thread:

vgchartz.com/articles_media/images/january-2017-sales-5-2.png
worldometers.info/computers/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Very.
Sony pretty much has a monopoly on AAA games then and can sell games at any price they want.

Why don't MS just start a couple of 1st party studios, and the hire talent from other studios?

western video games are already fucked beyond repair

okay so when you make a sign, the signifier could tell us where it came from. the signified is the meaning, but the signifier is the actual conic element. sign equals signifier divided by signified, so to not have a signifier, is like being completely paralinguistic without the linguistic part

Sony is next on line, not Microsoft OP. Nintendo and Microsoft have mountains of money but sony is on the verge of bankrupcy since forever. Sony will go and the golden age of vidya will truly start.

like this picture doesn't have a signified, so it has to be interpreted several times over until it actually comes close to contextual meaning

but you can't blame people for inaccuracy

Proof of them pulling out?

This isn't the 90s anymore, Microsoft are no longer invincible.

Big corporations still buy Windows and support for their machines.

And every OEM pc is still delivered with Windows.

How has that changed?

Do you have any proof to back this statement up?

Microsoft and Nintendo financially pretty much invincible. Sony on the other hand is always on the red.

I see this meme popping up more and more. I'm not sure I get it.
Most popular games worldwide are western developed games. Persona and Zelda dont have anywhere near the numbers CS:GO, Overmeme, LOL, WOW, DOTA2 have .
Can someone spoon feed me on this new meme?

Microsoft could make like seven more Xboxes that sell exactly 0 units and they'd STILL be in the black because of Windows. They're not going anywhere.

Sony on the other hand is probably going to downsize pretty heavily with their TV, movie and phone sections of business crashing and burning so hard. Only things for Sony that are actually good are insurance and games.

Why are you acting like it would be a bad thing?

Sony is dying.

No one buys Sony gear like in the 90's/start 2000.
You don't buy a Sony walkman if you need music, you have a smartphone. And while we're at smartphones, do you know anyone with a Sony smartphone?
Tv's and hifi equipment is not dominated by Sony either.

The only thing still selling is their Playstation brand. And they still have to close offices around the world.

How is M$ in any kind of danger?
They sell Windows, they sell Office subscriptions. The Xbox brand is going strong as a whole compared to what they post in it.

they are because the majority of business for them comes from enterprise where they have a monopoly

MS are the biggest company in the world, and largest producers of software. they have assets of a quarter of a TRILLION or some shit. They're not going anywhere.

Not really. It just fucks Sony and Nintendo because the only reason Korea and China companies aren't in the console market is Microsoft as they need to keep MS sweet for their Laptop/Tablet businesses and low cost OEM's. MS departs, Samsung and LG are going to spend monstrous amounts of money replacing them with cheaper, faster hardware and signing exclusives left and right.

Also less reasons for MS to spend in game development so all the tools will get fucked. You know MS Visual Studio is a core component of the Switch and PS4 SDK? You know it has been getting gaming based enhancements since MS entered the business? MS leaving would stagnate dev tools and Open Source wouldn't have a target to catch up and surpass even when MS open sourced VS themselves. Then you have the middleware tools like Havok and Simplygon that everyone uses will stagnate and be shut down.

Sure, Sony fans would celebrate, but the development backlash would fuck Japan so bad it would more than likely take out Sony and Nintendo as well as it will drive development expenses up so high to replace all the tools they use from Microsoft or at least get open source ones up to standard.

PC Gaming wouldn't escape either. Gaming support starts stagnating in Windows OS. Valve is barely willing to invest in Linux and the accessibility of PC gaming gets lost. So PC Gaming starts devolving back to the pre-2007 Dark Ages.

Seriously, if MS announced they were leaving gaming. Sony and Nintendo would shit a brick and immediately be sending in negotiators begging them to reconsider because If MS goes. That bubble protecting them from Samsung and LG is gone.

>Has a Higher share price than when Gates was in charge in the 90's
>Worth more than it ever was with Gates in charge

Don't be stupid, user

>Seriously, if MS announced they were leaving gaming. Sony and Nintendo would shit a brick and immediately be sending in negotiators begging them to reconsider because If MS goes. That bubble protecting them from Samsung and LG is gone.

Then shouldn't they share some exclusives with MS, and not make every jap dev be so phobic about releasing multiplats like Nier and games like that on the Xbone?
Or are they not aware of this fact themselves?

I'm just sick of exclusives. How glorious would it be if instead of spending $400 on a console you just pop in a $400 gramfix card into the PC you already own, and all games are available for it?

Nintendo and Sony both have fun exclusives, but IMO it's not worth buying two seperate pieces of hardware that are inferior to what a PC can do just to play them.

I just wanna play vidya games mang

This. All games(besides nintento shit) will be on PC and xbox will just be steam box kind of thing.

>No exclusives
>Abysmal sales
Gee I wonder..

They don't need to. They don't need to baby them and unlike Sup Forums, know that xbox is doing fine in revenue and profit and it benefits them, especially since MS didn't dick move them and is releasing Minecraft on their consoles. If MS don't get those weeb games, it's on MS and MS has to take steps to rectify that.

At the minute, MS has never been more invested in gaming and for Sony and Nintendo to the point where gaming's becoming a huge feature in Microsoft's advertising and their new services have a lot of gaming features never mind a lot of their acquisitions like Havok, Beam and Simplygon being gaming and VR related, that's great because they have a 1st party competitor who they know, who they can predict and who they can co-exist with with technology and middleware tools instead of having to hodgepodge their own tools (Especially Visual Studio as that is integeral to game dev in all spaces now). Meanwhile if MS exist in the console space. The bigger hardware manufacturers like LG, Samsung or even some of the software companies in China like Tencent who have sniffed around the idea of a console, won't fuck with Microsoft's space because they rely on Microsoft a lot for OEM licensing on their products and enterprise tools. Samsung won't fuck with that, LG won't fuck with that, Tencent sure as fuck won't.

That's why it's a bubble and Sony, Valve and Nintendo would be worried as fuck if MS left because it would leave them open to competition and start driving up costs. It's not an ideal situation at all.

The years between 94 and 2001 when there were no western consoles on the market were coincidentally the golden days of PC gaming.

It's funnier when the only reason PC had a golden era was because of Windows 95 making PC Gaming accessible and making it easier for developers to justify PC development.

Dude, why do you go autistic rambling about phones?

much better off. Microsoft single handedly stunted the growth of the industry throughout the 360 generation with their business model.

>microsoft dissolves xbox
>microsoft starts restricting PC gaming even more and forces you to use their shitty gaming apps
>everyone gets sick of it and moves to linux
>linux becomes master race platform

count me in

Not just that. The technology had improved to the point where PC was vastly ahead of consoles, allowing new genres and new comfortable ways of playing. It wasn't like that in SNES days.

lol why would they do that
the xbox is fine and people still playing
>PCbros are this delusional
sorry but people just dont want to play in modded or hacked lobbies all the time

Yeah I agree with It was also impacted by the birth of real 3d acceleration cards.
Things like the early voodoo and nvidia cards really pushed it.

western videogames are not fucked. consoles are.

thats why microsoft will pull out at one point.
consoles in general are dead.
pc becoming easier to use. consoles want to have more functions and gimmicks but suck because of lame hardware.

only borderline brain amputee dumbfucks still struggle with building a pc and give you the most retarded arguments why consoles still shine.

also eastern console games are overrated. botw is just getting all these glwong reviews because of nostalgia blindness and mainstream journalists fanboypandaing.

>literally can't even sell a thousand consoles a week in eastern markets while switch and ps4 selling like hotcakes
>being crushed by ps4 in west
>fine
sure thing, buddy. I doubt xbox will be going under anytime soon but they're certainly hurting compared to before

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
>pcbros still this delusional
FUCKING GET IT NOT EVERYONE WANTS TO PLAY IN A FUCKING PC YOU RETARDED CUNT
CONSOLES WILL ALWAYS EXIST UNTIL VR, UNTIL THEN THE XBOX AND PS WILL BE HERE FUCKING PCFAGGOT

>crushed
North America is Xbox territory tho Mexico and US main console is the xbox I dunno about Canada tho

If only there were some other platform you could play western games on, like a multipurpose machine that did more than just run video games too. Oh, how convenient it would be to browse AND play at the same time.

xbox needs more ultra kawaii child rape anime games to be successful in japan

>what is PC

we dont need that shit only
FFVII remake is a must have tho I hope phil dont fuck around

>NOT EVERYONE WANTS TO PLAY IN A FUCKING PC
take your ritalin capslock kiddie

how is it important or different on what platform you play as long as you get solid games?

you know you can hook a pc to your tv and play with controller right?

in4 pcs are expencive
they are not this has been debunked 1000s of times

vgchartz.com/articles_media/images/january-2017-sales-5-2.png

>xbox territory

idiots want the marketing hype and brandname.
they dont care for actually good hardware and games.
they just want the stuff thats popular and everybody knows.

people just want to plug and play
thats it we all need to Download shit to play so thats not a factor, or building a PC its not hard there are plenty of tutorial videos but y'all need to get this
NOT EVERYONE WANTS TO PLAY ON A PC
enough with this "pc or die" meme shit bro both X1 and PS4 runs game fine so whats the deal with the PC besides graphics??

Samsung makes things other than phones, user. Like Laptops and Tablets. They have already dabbled in gaming products including a gaming Laptop and Tablet (Both running W10). If there was space in the console and gaming services market, they would be entering because it's a highly profitable market if you enter with a long term mindset.

That's why I mentioned them. They are the biggest threat to Sony. Microsoft pulls out. Samsung immediately dives in to carve as much profit as they can before dev tools stagnate because of Microsoft's departure or they start paying MS for their upkeep exclusively to their SDK.

Its about what's most convenient. But you PC guys have your mouse so far up your own add you spend all this energy try to convince people that just don't care about what you're saying is better in PC. Its all video games, it's all meaningless.

In the event that you're miraculously not just baiting, why would you not want to play on a PC? What do you have against it on such a fundamental level?

You do realize you gotta install/download all ps4/xbone games now day 1 patches etc. right?

If you just want to plug in and play get a 3DS

>NOT EVERYONE WANTS TO PLAY ON A PC
how is that an important point if its not hard to build a pc and it does the same?
is it really just about brandnames and getting the most dumbed down shit that has the most advertising?

Xbox one sold shit compared to PS4 but it still sold more than 360. So yeah, they're fine

because I have a shitty laptop and all the games I want are in the Xbox one so I wont bother with something else I mean like this user said if anything I would get a PS4 because I already have a wiiu

if its meaningless why defend consoles? if videogames are your hobby why not listen to somebody that tells you where to have your games not run like shit?

>microsoft pulls out of the console race
>releasing a new console in 2017
what did he mean by this?

How long yall been saying Sony is done? Ive heard this for years and nothing has happened. I guess its wishful thinking on the part of Nintendo and Xbox fanboys.

Because PC cucks don't actually play any games.

If you're that invested in video games, wouldn't you get a PC to play the PC exclusives rather than the 2-3 PS4 exclusives worth playing aside from the multiplat console games you already play(ed)?

PC too m8 if you want to play you have to dl shit
so thats not a factor

This. Modern consoles are a joke. They fucked up the best thing they had going for them. No reason to buy a modern console unless you don't want to build a pc(which is easy as fuck) or you want exclusives

I don't see how this is a bad thing

MS wants to go toe to toe with Steam and if that means merging Xbox with PC gaming, that's fine lol

also a lot of people hook up mouse keyboards and external harddrives to their consoles or they get other extra fancy and expencive peripherals.
at this point you might as well just go pc.

Such a retard

What PC exclusives?

How and document your findings

they dont even have exclusives that are noteable different from what you can get on pc.
it just comes down to advertising and people are getting hooked on a brand.

you might think thats an argument but in reallity it just shows that you are uninformed.

I'm not arguing.

60 million PS4s sold
30 million XB1s sold

Yeah, you're completely wrong..

Did you even read the comment chain? His point was that consoles aren't plug n play anymore. They lost one of their biggest selling points

Not defending just letting you know how much time you waste trying to explain the benefits most people don't care about. Its a part time for most not a hobby. Like is tv a hobby? I have a friend that always tells me to watch trailer park boys. I just don't care for the humor or lack there of in my opinion. So why would I take advice from user spewing mustard shit on an image board. Your opinion just like your life means nothing to me.

old picture but you get the point

well then get of the internet when other peoples opinions are so worthless?

>Cheaters
>Empty lobbies
>uneven playing field with kbm vs controller

PC is good for niche situations and Blizzard games

I like console exclusives but I really wish I didn't have to deal with trash hardware

Way too old

Yeah, they're fine now but the gap will only widen if they don't get their shit together.

Sup Forums is Nintendoland and Pirates Cove.

Your opinion of what I should do on the internet carries no weight over here. have a (You) for that grade school reply

they are still more plug and play than the PC, also we all need Internet so thats not a factor anymore sad but true

50 million computers sold this year
worldometers.info/computers/

Yeah, you're completely wrong..

I didn't know I was already part of the PC master race.

maybe a 1/4 of those will be a gaming PC
most of the people use them to work something you PCfag probably dont know what that is

you have this on consoles too. including blizzard games except wow

lagswitch console mouse adapters etc.

another point for pc. it does stuff a console just can't and you probably need one anyway so why not game on it and buy shitty extra hardware?

1. That makes no sense. Plug n Play is a binary. There aren't varying levels. A platform is either plug n play or it's not; modern consoles are NOT
2. You're wrong. Modern consoles have mandatory updates while you can block updates on PC which means you can get to gaming faster.
3. You don't need internet to play singleplayer games so no internet is not mandatory

not as much of a problem if you compare with the PC

Not really much of a difference since Nintendo will still be around. Mircosoft is not even a threat to Sony anymore since they are focusing on themselves and how to compete with PC. It'd pretty much be the same. It would probably affect PC more than consoles since I am certain Microsoft will sell their games exclusively on the Windows store. And they might keep the pay to play our games online fee. Really a win-lose scenario for PC.

still a very minor problem in general.

I dont need super rig to use Word Excel tbqh faam
>plug and play
>plug console on tv
>dl all the updates
>play
PC
>find parts
>plug parts
>install drivers
>download games from steam

No more 40 million dollar games filled with bugs and facial animations. Everyone will be indie Dev tier: games will either be SJW pixel shit and/or have good gameplay. The Jap devs will then ride, setting the standard, as usual, for what a video game should be.

Saved.

This is what I'm worried about. If microsoft can't continue fucking up xbox, they'll just fuck up PC gaming. Everyone! to the linux boats! the ship is sinking!

comes down to the west beeing plaqued with political correctness.
that shit is cancer

PC exclusives rarely meet the quality of console exclusives. Say I want to have a Gears or Uncharted TPS experience I can't get on consoles. What it's actually up to those standards fun action/adventure on PC exclusively? Serious question. I know AAA is a meme to most here but what does PC do in genres found on consoles better?

fucking kek that's not what plug n play means, you goddamn idiot. It means you literally put the game in the console and are immediately met with a start screen. No downloading updates. No fucking with anything.

not to mention you can buy a pre built PC and skip half the steps you listed for PC

>you can buy a pre built PC

KYS

Not even close to 1/4th of computers sold are gaming computers.

fuck off, faggot. The guy I was replying to can't put a simple PC together which is why he's complaining. I built my PC

>tfw I bought XO as my multiplat machine and will buy PS4 just for exclusives to not let sony win by that much difference

why are these games so highly praised in the firstplace? it all comes down to marketing hype
wich the pc as an open platform naturaly doesn't have. you watch it on tv and you fall for the advertising and next thing is you want to buy it. why?
gears is on pc now by the way and more and more are coming.
the highly praised games like gta 5 and nier automat are on pc. darksouls, witcher 3 is on pc and I could go on and on.
also note that exclusives is an anti consumer concept in the first place. why do you even want to support that?
its basicaly holding games hostage on shitty hardware and hyping them in the heavens so you feel the need to buy that stuff?