Gaming in college

Going off to college next yewr and can't decide if I should spend money on a gaming laptop that will be thick and heavy or just get a normal lightweight and get a Wii and all the good titles. If I was to go down the Wii route recommend me some good Wii and GameCube games that are fun for a crowd or just for one.

You'd be better off spending money on learning how to tie knots then buy some rope in order to put your newfound skills to the test and create a noose.

Gaming laptops are a meme.

First off, you're paying 50% more for for something that only has 60% of the power of an equivalently priced desktop. You're also going to be at the mercy of the laptop manufacturer for all your drivers, and they always, ALWAYS discontinue that shit and stop updating drivers at about 6 months to a year after the laptop was made. This leaves you at a very bad place when you want to play something new that requires an updated graphics driver. You can't just grab the ones off the nvidia website.

These things always constantly overheat because they've crammed all that hardware into a tiny ass space with next to no proper ventilation. Also, if anything breaks, you have to toss the entire machine. The only thing upgradeable/replaceable in a laptop is the memory and HD (and maybe the screen if you can salvage one from a similar model).

You'd be better off getting a normal computer with a Wii or whatever console/portable handheld instead.

I can already tie a noose. And I am an eagle scout
Pic related

get a cheap laptop and build a $600 desktop

Thanks I built my own PC a few years back but obviously it's hard to get a desktop in a freshman dorm. Thanks for the imput

Considered that but the college I'm going to has small droms

Assuming you're going to a college with a mixed demographic and assuming that you'll be living in a dorm I would personally go for the gaming laptop. Shit gets stolen and rooms can be easily broken into unless you're going to a top tier college.

The two colleges I'm thinking about are pretty safe, not completely clean but both are known for having polite good students. One is St. Mary's of Maryland and the other is Saint Michaels of Vermont

Gaming laptops are probably better if you're gonna be also using your laptop for classes. Gaming desktops are cheaper but then you have to manage the tower (even if it's, like, mini-itx sized), cables, peripherals, monitor, etc.

If you have a laptop then you've only got a charging cable, mouse, and headphones to keep track of. All of these can be easily packed and the laptop itself can be quickly unhooked so you can take it to classes. Especially good if you can't trust your room-mates for shit or are limited on desk space (which would make a dedicated terminal bulky).

Desktops are cheaper, but unless you know where you're gonna be able to put it/store it, go with laptop.

get the laptop
hell if the laptops good enough you could probably just emulate those wii/gamecube games

Any recommendations for a lift weight cheap mid to low tier gaming laptop. The only things I really want is an ssd, 8gb of ddr4 ram and something even as low as a gtx960m. As long as it's less than an inch wide and is under 6lbs I can manage

I was considering the Dell Inspiron 7000 new gaming but idk if it's good for the price

There's a specific kind I know a bunch of people I have classes with have that's pretty good but I can't remember it to save my life. Look in the $1200 (new) price range for stuff released at least a year ago to see what you would like, then see if you can get it for cheaper on craigslist or ebay or something (like $900).

That price is keeping in mind this'll probably be the device you use for the next four years.

here's the solution i used, but it required bunk beds:
>take bottom bunk
>put desktop tower on its side
>slide under bed
>tape a shitty $20 monitor to underside of top bunk
>tape cord to wall to prevent hanging
>put a box or something by the bed for the mouse to go on
>keyboard on lap/chest
>lay in bed, look up at monitor, use pc as usual

Dont get a giant laptop unless you want to bring it to your lectures/labs and look like a massive fag

That's what I'm trying to avoid

Would it be a good idea to bring your console and hook it up to a TV in the dorm room?
Is college internet typically fast enough for online games?

It's meh, I don't plan on playing too much online stuff. I will probably play Skyrim, some party games and some other RPG type games

what's your budget?

Preferably 1000 max no more than 1200