Silent Protagonists

This is a worthless gimmick and nobody actually enjoys it when it happens.

okay

t. Todd Howard

>bioshock

then look at
>bioshock infinite

hmmm?

Then why do so many games with silent protagonists end up being great games long after theyre released?

Caim
Any vn protagonist
Mc kun

>witty retort every five seconds from link

they're good in spite of having silent protags

the silent protag thing is a retarded meme and it doesn't actually improve the game you're making

>not talking can't improve something

Look at samurai jack.
Best scenes are those without dialogue

It improves the immersion you mong

What does he cry when I fuck him so hard?

no it doesn't

Now I really want to see Link being followed around by a classic Link hallucination that taunts him to kill himself.

WELL EXCUSE ME PRINCESS

Narrator: "Adol promptly called OP a faggot."

I actually like it. If there's dialogue options to pick from anyway, let me just imagine what the character's voice is like and pick the options.

no it's stupid and so are you

Okay but that doesn't change that I think it's cool.

There's a market in stupid people too.

This.

YOU are the character, or whoever you make it.

As long as there are dialog options, the character is not silent.

Unless it's some meme like GTAO and every other ingame person makes a meme about how mute you are.

With current tech limitation, I prefer "silent" PC - once we get a proper voice synthetization where you will be able to pick your voice for your character and tone for each and every dialog option, then it's different story.

You keep using the word "meme" but it does not mean what you think it means

Just a heads up, 'meme' is not synonymous with 'joke'. You don't have to try so hard to fit in.

Link speaks when spoken to

>silent protagonist
>suddenly speaks during the final blow
Nothing more hype.

Speaking of trying hard...

Doesn't necessarily detract from the game tho

>botw link
>silent protagonist
Sure, you never hear him speak, but hus personality bleeds though the dialog choices if you actually pay attention to them. Not to mention Zelda's diary.

I feel upset when someone tries to direct how I should feel in when playing a video game.
When my views don't fall in line with the character's I get upset.
I like to commentate while playing at times.
I like to swear at characters who piss me off.
I hate when the protagonist is being used to push an agenda.
Let me decide who the bad guy is, let me create my own opinions independent of the story line.
I don't like to be shoe horned into hurrr durrr muh feels.
I don't sympathize with a character that isn't purely me.

BoTW Link has the most personality out of any other Link due to his dialogue options and how characters talk about him.
Excluding cutscenes, he's super emotionless in those.

This

KOTOR still had the best dialogue of any RPG I've played, and that's largely because I had a great diversity of speech choices and was able to easily self-insert.

>When my views don't fall in line with the character's I get upset.
This

Fucking SOMA, man. That game made me almost stop playing beacuse I couldn't associate with the protagonist whatsoever