Why are graphic cards so expensive

Why are graphic cards so expensive.

5 years ago. Maximum was 500$. What's going on. When will it be affordable.

When you get a job and stop being poor

Why not buy a card from 5 years ago?

You can get a very respectable graphics card for $250 and a respectable processor for an additional $250

I have a good paying job. Are you ok paying 1000$ for the latest gfx card?

machine leari=ning meme%^

What's the max for a graphics card?

I have over 12k in savings, could I build a top of the line PC with that?

I am talking about High End Gfx card 5 years ago were 500$ now they are 1000$

I paid £390 for a gtx 1070. I don't know where you are looking but it sounds like they are ripping people of massively.

You could build four with that money

In Canada, it's worse. A 1080 Ti cost 1099$ plus tax (15%) = 1300 CAD. What the hell.

>tfw you play old crap and dont worry about the latest GPUs

Bump.

TOP of the line in terms of performance is 2K. including an SSD, 1080, and an unnecessary I7 that won't benefit you in any games.

People who spend more than that are actual idiots, stay away from GAMING branded ram, dumb over the top cases and mechanical keyboards over 100$

900's had amazing price to performance ratio, 970 was especially good. For some reason 1070 had a massive price hike, over 100€ extra price over 970's. Which is why I haven't bothered to upgrade.

What is your pc building build you suggest.

>needing a $500 grayfix card

For what fucking reason? A 1060 paired with an i5 runs everything at 60 or close to 60fps maxed at 1080p. 4K is a meme.

1060 is wasting your money. 4k is real. 1080p is 5 years old

Even a ghetto ass $80 660gtx of ebay will get you 30fps with modest settings on the latest games.

I'm not going to spoonfeed you, go on PC part picker and get a GTX 1080, 16GB of RAM if you pick DDR4 make sure your mobo supports it, an I5 or I7 (Any from the last few years they all perform the fucking same) 6000 series recommended though, a 600W power supply (Not a shit one, you can decide what is shit and what isnt by googling the one you pick, and even 600W is overkill) ANY motherboard that isn't shit that has the same CPU socket as the one you pick (It will show it when you select it) ANY optical drive (If you need one)

Then proceed to play older games because they are better.

this

>5 years ago. Maximum was 500$.
15 years ago, maybe
you don't need to buy the flagship model, or day of release

this is my ancient computer, should I just get a GTX 1060 or do I need to update anything else?

As long as you keep buying overpriced models blindly, they will exist

That CPU is pushing it.

But you need a new motherboard to get anything decent.

Buy the 1060 first, see how games perform and if it's not enough find a CPU/MOBO combo deal.

if I were you I'd save money to build a brand new PC with a more powerful and recent CPU

>45nm technology

outch

PC has:
Ports of console games
Nothing worth mentioning in 2017
Monopolies on computer parts, so they charge ridiculous amounts
Retail priced games that are digital only, and infested with DRM

I dropped Steam and PC gaming years ago. It seemed like one huge scam.

>tfw 1360x768

YES GOY, PAY $500+ FOR DIMINISHING QUALITY RETURNS.

Kill yourself. 1080p is fine. 4K will become trivial to render in time and the jump will be nice, but it's not worth paying out the ass for now.

Is this real? What happened to Canada? Did their faux Frenchies win?

Get a new motherboard/CPU nigga

using a 970 at 2560x1080 is pretty cozy. Came from an iGPU hp laptop so I'm used to big jumps when upgrading. Anything before 2nd gen Volta feels premature, would love to feel that 3440x1440 144hz at more affordable prices

Paid 400 bucks for GTX 980 and it runs everything modern smoothly. The prices are pretty much the same, except you don't have to buy the best performing card to play all games available.

1440p looks a lot nicer and 120fps is the same. both also give you an edge in shooters. pushing 120fps in 1440p is really hard for nearly all cards

The fastest single GPUs you could buy in 2012 were the GTX 680 and the HD 7970. Both cost around $500.

2013 is when Nvidia released the first $700 and $1000 GPUs, but idiots bought them anyway.

i'm earning above national average... which totals to 750$ per month.

bloody 1080 costs about 700$ over here.

750 before or after taxes? Because if thats the national average, you must live in eastern Europe or something.

Just bought an used oc'd 960 for 90 euros, literally no reason to buy them new anymore.

Canada has had a few French-Canadian PMs. That's not the problem. The problem is simply Trudeau.

It's so retarded how CPUs are used. Rendering 3d, making videos or digital painting? 8 cores can go up to max.

Playing AAA game of the year with millions in budget? One core does 100% of the work and the rest are ignored.

I live in Europe and lately I've been embarrassed to tell people I'm Canadian. Trudeau is turning the country into a laughing stock.

Step it up to a Socket 1150 mobo and cpu. You should be able to find those relatively cheap. Hell, I just bought a mobo and i5 4960k for like 150 booms for a friend...

Pretty funny how all modern games run without problems on this rig, yet sometimes Toon Boom Animate Pro 2 crashes just because the scene I animate is so complex it makes my system hiccup.

And Toon Boom is vector-based too so its not the filesizes which are the problem either.

I'm just about to pull the trigger on a Ryzen 1600x and GTX 1050 ti setup. Anything obviously wrong with this?

>5 years ago max was 500$

Are you dumb as fuck? GTX 690 was 1000$, GTX 780ti was 680$, TITANS are always over 1000$.

You do NOT have to pay over 500$ for a good card, especially now. The 1060 or 1070 are fantastic cards for under 500$.

(I'm not up to date with AMD but I'm sure they have even better deals).

Agreed, but it seems to be universal between almost all games, you can't just say it's shitty AAA devs even though they are shitty either way.

Do you know the reason for this?, why is so hard to utilize other cores?

I'd recommend a cheaper cpu and higher-tier gpu

Get a 1060, you will not regret it.

yes, nobody is forcing you to play at 240 fps 4k

I bought a GTX970 from a guy 2 years ago for less than $200 because you people told everyone it was a memecard and only sperglords use them.

Been happy with it ever since. Fite me.

Get RX580 8GB or 1060 6GB, whichever is cheaper

A RX 470 is enough for anything today, unless you want to play everything on "ultra" which is normally a meme setting that doesn't actually do anything except eating fps. You can play pretty much everything at 60@1080 or even 1440p for some good downsampling with high settings.

Why does my speecy show this instead of proper specs?

Because you need to synchronise data betweenall cores and that gives you some performance at the cost of latency and exponential programmingdifficulty.

What about460 for 1080p stable 60fps? Medium settings?

I built my PC like one or two years ago....

Gtx 970, i7 4790k, 16gb cl9 ram

And I get 25-30 FPS in S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl... with settings on medium and at 720p resolution (using a tv as monitor). And it's a freaking 2007 game!

The card was a good bang for the buck at the time, but there's no way you can run games maxed at 1080p.

I tried ARMA 2 as well, and same thing. Around 30 FPS in 720p, with minimum settings this time. I don't think it's my ram or CPU, since I took the best at the time to work with video editing and photoshop.

tl;dr seems to be that it takes more time to code. Say you want to calculate the paths for 500 soldier AIs when given an order. The smart way would be to have a system that spaces the dispatching between a bunch of threads spaced in time to not have a shitload of power needed all at once. This takes time to code so you just go 500 times -> GoTo and voila. Product launched.

Yea, the games are obviously defaulting to your integrated GPU.

States have their own minimum wages. New York is 10 I think

Because nowadays the discrepancy between resolutions is so great. If 1080p and 4k displays are both relevant in the market, you can be damn sure gpu companies will sell "enthusiast" hardware to those willing to buy.

I think it would. Most benchmarks show the 460 pull ~40fps in games at high/ultra settings, so it seems likely that tweaking the settings would get you 60fps. At the $100 msrp, the 1050 is better most of the time, though

prebuilt or laptop

Willone work well with i5 2400?

>One core does 100% of the work and the rest are ignored
Multi-threading has been a thing for a decade now, user. I honestly don't know a single modern AAA that doesn't utilize more than 1 core.

If you're still at 1080p mid range cards are perfectly fine for high settings 60 FPS

Nope. That's what I thought, but it's not the case.

And all drivers are up-to-date.

What's your GPU usage look like while playing?

t. Retard

As of September 2016, the average wage for Canadian employees was $952 a week – or just under $50,000 a year.

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average American worker got paid $24.57 per hour in December, or $850.12 per week.

It would work, but keep in mind that the i5 2400 is a 6 year old processor, so not the best performer by today's standards

sure they'll use it, but a wide majority of games will have the first core do all the work with 2nd and 3rd doing like 5% or something retarded like that

Care to elaborate?

I don't know. I'll have to check. But I see/hear the card starting to spin when I run the game, since I have a window in my case.

This. Don't need a Titan ExTreme 5000 for Oblivion or Fallout New Vegas.

8800 Ultras went for $830+ back in 2007...

>shit cpu so you have also replace your:
>shit ram
>shit mobo
>also shit resolution so shit screen
>no SSD

>1070 are fantastic cards for under 500$.
it was, now 1080 cost almost the same for 30% more performance

This.
People complaining about GPUs being expensive today have no idea what they're talking about, $180 GPUs nowadays can play games well at 1440p, meanwhile the 8800 Ultra was getting performance like pic related.

4k meme plus 144hz non-meme plus a shitty economy

>since I have a window in my case.

underage fag who knows nothing about pc and only want to show his epeen retard detected. I hope your gpu will burn your home down redditor tard ;)

I think that console finally got better than PC for gaming. For example, you can get an Xbox Scorpio for like 300$, and it runs at 4k 60FPS.

To achieve that, you would probably need like a quad-sli titan Xp... which would need a mobo that can handle 4 way sli... and a good cooler so it doesn't melt with that heat...

All this for 4k 60fps... with no AA and shadows on low.

Worth it, or not?

>5 years ago. Maximum was 500$
wat
Still using my 970 meme card 3.5 and it maxes out the newest shit

lol

Download MSI Afterburner m8.

>phenom II
>ddr3 1066
>literal foxconn motherboard

save up for an entire system and don't buy a premade, practically any mid-high-end GPU is wasted on your system, sorry user

>5 years ago maximun was 500€
good joke , when i got mine in 2008 maximun was 4000€

>$460 meme dollars for an entry GPU

canada was a mistake

Does it work with a Gigabyte gtx 970, or only with MSI cards?

ur paying for a better quality experience. Which is why it's gonna cost more.

Throw the AMD fags against the walls.

It works with every modern GPU.

Modern and old

RX480 is not an entry GPU you ignorant leaf, an entry GPU would be along the lines of a 1050.

Just don't buy the expensive cards?
High end is still 300-500 dollars too, the >500 dollar cards are the top end shit that only ultra HD users need

I still use my 7950 to game @1080p, and the processor and RAM is what bottlenecks that build.

A 1060 is cheap and is more than enough for the pleb.

Nvidia has a Monopoly right now on very well performing low power consuming cards, that's why their shit is so over priced.

t. Retard

Just get one thats a couple years old. You don't need to have the latest one when 99% of the games even on the market will run fine on it. Shit drops in price so fast, especially technology as it's being puked out onto the masses at an alarming rate.

Calm down, man