How Far Cry 5 Could Make A Serious Political Statement...Or Get It Very, Very Wrong

gamespot.com/articles/how-far-cry-5-could-make-a-serious-political-state/1100-6450378/

Pretty interesting read. But here's the gist if you don't have time.

>The key to Far Cry 5's success, at least in portraying a modern-day separatist portion of America, is dependent on how it frames both Eden's Gate and your place in Hope County. If there is depth to the cult's members and compelling exploration of how and why a cult takes hold--and if there's an opportunity for introspection into the role of government and violence against radical groups and individuals--then Far Cry 5 can be seriously impactful. But if it's just you versus the crazies of a cult, it will be a bombastic shooter that oversimplifies a political reality in the US, and that serves no one.

Thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JnCed-hb53E
moddb.com/mods/the-stanley-parable
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>shill thread

>if it has layered, sympathetic villains, it'll be good
Insightful.

why does a shooter need that though

original Far Cry's villains were flat as cardboard, and it's still by far the best Far Cry game

Not going to read because I know for a fact that Ubisoft will fuck it up

Really? Many would contend 3 is where the series became truly great, because they gave us Vaas, a villain with some real depth.

>how it could make a serious political statement

I don't understand why liberals still think the rest of America is concerned about ANYTHING they say at this point after they've cried wolf too many times

>a political reality in the US

?

Okay I hve a question: who the fuck deemed video games the flagship for this political push? Why are video games so heavily scrutinized with this shit?

The only thing I can assume is it lets literal who's pretend they're more important than they really are. But am I wrong in that?

The only good far cry was 2

I doubt you can make a good political or social commentary in a game that in the end revolves around a convinently isolated , big ass area in which a group of mischievous mercenaries or crazy folks are slaughtered by a one man army who can heal himself by cracking his thumb or taking self-made drugs a billion times.

The commentry in FC3 of "Jason loosing his fucking mind" because in the end, we can find violence enjoyable in the darkest pits of our morbid, twisted selfs, worked very well because gameplay aided this feeling by making you progressively more powerful and capable of taking damage and rampage everyone that got in your nearby vecinity.

Even if FC5 had interesting commentary of any topic, if the gameplay contrasts it or overshadows it, the whole point is lost. It's like a GTA-like game telling a story of a man who wants to leave the crime world behind him but you can make him drive over enough people in the streets that would make the Nice attacks look like daily family picnic.

Video games are hugely influential on young minds. That's why it's important for them to send the right political message.

Jesus I love religious cults and twisted fantasies in modern day America. The last time I felt great about a vidya setting in modern day America was when Foley was telling me to defend Burger Town.

Why do they have to get all fucking political with this shit? It's not going to be some in-depth story about BLM it's just going to be you choosing between fucking crazy cultists or the townspeople. Chris Rock said it best when he asked why can't people be fucking crazy anymore. Everyone has to be diagnosed with some shit that muddies everything up, just make the dude insane, his followers insane, the hero neutral

If they do it right, it could be a neat story about the weird shit that goes down in small town rural America where people can go unchecked. If it wasn't a cult, it could be a cabal run by a corrupt sheriff, letting all kinds of stuff happen for "the good of the community." The story is the same and it happens all over the country.

If they fumble it, well, you still get to shoot some religious weirdos.

follow the money

>It's like a GTA-like game telling a story of a man who wants to leave the crime world behind him but you can make him drive over enough people in the streets that would make the Nice attacks look like daily family picnic.
What do you mean a GTA-like game? Isn't that literally GTA4 you just described?

I just want to shoot niggers.

Too bad, you will shoot white people and you will like it.

Or it's a videogame and you shouldn't read in to it as political message too much

>what are mods

It is, which is why I don't get any stupid faggot on here that calls it the best in the series.

Nonexistent on Sup Forums.

Hopefully the next game takes place in Europe and we can take on a radicalized mosque

I want female enemies, it's boring to shoot the same 3 models of guys from start to finish.

The first one was good as a game, having a good villain is nothing when outside of some missions the game consist of doing the same tasks over and over again on a huge boring map.

From what I'm seen, the villains are somehow "Conservative" looking, and you kill Hillbilies, but these are also Hillbillies who take arms to fight the bad guys.

Basically, they fight them in the name of true religion, family, defence of the country/community, and shit like that, and not because they are racists.

If you want your vidya to have a political message, do so with tact and subtlety.

Some of the Cult's members are black.

>I want female enemies
This, in WoW you had a 50/50 split on every humanoid faction, and it caused no problem.

The image in this post is pretty stupid, and I'm not even a Muslim

YOURE ASKING TOO MUCH

>They go farcry 2 where it'd various opposing cults fighting each other and tearing apart hope county in the process
My body is ready

Knowing Far Cry developers, they CAN make the villains look likeable.
Why is everyone forgetting this.

>we could just have a fun game
>instead people force their political shit and agendas into everything they see
This is why most western games are a joke.

> they gave us Vaas
You mean dangled right in front of us until they replaced him with another boring, cardboard cut-out villain?

Nothings likeable about a psycho cultleader you nerd

I'm fucking sick of game "journalists" bringing their political views into everything like I give a fuck. Here's an idea how about you become an actual fucking journalist rather than a holier than thou glorified product reviewer?

Shit makes me sick.

If you consider video games to be art, or at least, an artistic/cultural industry, then you can use them to make a political/poetic/whatever reflection.

However, given the state of the industry right now and how utterly low-effort/SJWed the indie and artsy scene is (with a few good exceptions, like pic related), this isn't going to happen.

>political reality in the US
>rednecks driving around in pickup trucks with LMGs mounted in the back

You misspelled sandniggers in the middle east instead of rednecks in the US.

You fucking SJW cockroach.

Well the antagonist is named Ronald Clump so I'm pretty sure they will get it right.

Pagan Min did nothing wrong
youtube.com/watch?v=JnCed-hb53E

>Crying alt-snowflakes

I honestly don't get what people see in Vaas.

>2017
>playing MSG's (main stream games)

>Its choice of a US setting--as opposed to the "exotic" locations in previous Far Cry games--seems acutely prescient, primed and ready to make a statement about the country

See, were not the only ones who noticed the potential political message of this game. Now you all can stop blaming Sup Forums for being paranoid

This.

Goddamn, I fucking loved this shit.

Nah, he's named Joseph Seed

Get it ? Seed

Only way to make something non-political is to avoid any statements
And you can only do that by making it very barebones

>Vaas
>a villain with some real depth

That's what people say, and it's a meme.

He doesn't have depth - he's just not boring. And standards for side characters and antagonists in video games are so low that we'll take anything even mildly entertaining and prop it up as being well written.

Shit sucks.

>How Far Cry 5 Could Make A Serious Political Statement...Or Get It Very, Very Wrong
Or simply neither because it's will be so sanitized because it's your average Hollywood movie with protagonist being the good guy because he is the protagonist and the antagonist being the bad guy because he is an antagonist except in a video game format...

>It's OK if it criticises a third world country
>It's disgusting if it criticises muh LAND OF THE FREE

Honestly I think a far cry set in the middle east where you are some lowly Arab trying to fight terrorists would be cool. Muslims would probably bomb them for making that game though.

>sending his army out killing, looting and raping
>giving his lieutenants authority to do whatever the fuck they pleased (like torturing people)
>"he did nothing wrong"

Are you stupid?

I was wary about a Christian cult being the villain when it was leaked, but seeing the actual reveal made me feel a shit load better at it. Plus its Ubisoft, any "political" themes with how they are portraying this will be very very shallow/almost non-existent.

>what is a hyperbole

If there was nothing likeable about them, they wouldn't have a cult.

I'm not sure if I agree with their outlook. What I'm hoping for is something like Handmaid's Tale (more the book than show, but whatever) where the entire premise is just people taking their religious doctrine at face value, regardless of any societal changes which have progressed our views on certain topics (slavery, women's rights, etc.)

Keeping it simple, I think, will make the cult a lot more effective and easy to portray. Maybe have individuals who have their own goals but I think religious fundamentalism is all we really need for a motivation for the majority of members.

I know, right ? I hate it when people are trashing "le indy sjw vidya game" because it can creates some very good games, or if you don't consider them games, experiences.

All it takes is effort. The problem with most indie games is that they are not polished at all.

It's Ubisoft, a notoriously social-justice friendly company. They're going to hamfist their own ideological horseshit in, and it'll be every bit as vaccuous as they are.

you seriously need another marketing thread?

Montana isn't actually a war-torn shithole like Somalia or London

So...Nothing wrong?

and which is "the right polotical message"? who will decide it? your progresist friends?

Stop involving games in politics you fucking cunts. When will Kim finally decide to fucking nuke you?

>Pagan Min did nothing wrong
>To you, personally

He wasn't a good guy, had people tortured, murdered and mentally broken for his own amusement (fucking Noore, Jesus) and was overall a fucking monster.

But yeah, I couldn't help but feel like I wanted to have some side story where you can choose to bro op with him because he was always so positive towards you throughout the game.

>Gone Home is released
>rightfully derided as a shitty walking simulator

>a month later, The Stanley Parable comes out
>Sup Forums can't stop talking about how it's the greatest walking simulator ever

Sometimes I forget how stupid everyone here likes to act.

I just want a game with a charlie manson tier villain please, that's all.

And American flyover states have the COMFIEST SETTING.

please.

I don't buy Ubisoft games but looking at the butt hurt makes it worth it. The marketing sure worked at getting those Sup Forumsfags mad

>more human-inflicted deaths in Montana than Somalia(relatively)
>Montana isn't a war-torn shithole
yeah nah
actually all of the USA is a war-torn shithole if we're going by statistics compared to Iraq or Somalia or London

Wel if it's anything like the recent Farcry games, the villain will be interesting and the people you are supposed to side with will boring jackasses.

>The image in this post is pretty stupid
Explain.

TSP doesn't pretend to be anything else than a walksim. It's a walksim that makes you think.

>Bad ending: You take over the cult
>Personal Jesus plays over credits

Wow. A game about killing people who participate in an evil, violent sect of their religion who perform forced conversions and kill those who don't comply.
Obviously this is something white Americans do.

Stanley Parable was much older than Gone Home, plus from what I saw people had different expectations from Gone Home. They thought the house was gonna be haunted and there was a mystery afoot. That wasn't the case.

>TSP doesn't pretend to be anything else than a walksim
>if it doesn't pretend it's not shit, it's not shit

Amazing logic.

>It's a walksim that makes you think

If you're missing half your fucking brain, I guess.

Muslim countries in the 1950-70 were WAY less religious than they are now. You can thank the Cold War for fanaticism.

100% this.

Those are some dope ass uniforms in the bottom right.

It's a fucking Ubisoft game, it's not going to actually tackle issues of racism, christian fundamentalism, or anything of consequence in a way that a more serious medium would. Expect tons of articles complaining about it the way they complained about Deus Ex: Mankind Divided not actually addressing discrimination to their liking.

>Stanley Parable was much older than Gone Home

>Gone Home released in August 2013
>Stanley Parable released in October 2013

So what definition of 'older' are you using here?

>not 2 with the jackal

seriously, the audio interviews with him you find throughout the game did a great job fleshing out his motivation and its one of the few times I actually sided with the antagonist's charisma

I liked how when it came down to it, Far Cry 2 didn't have a central villain and ultimately nothing you do as a murdering machine changes the situation. Which makes it much more impactful

Vaas was a good villain, while he wasn't particularly complex or compelling he was perfectly crafted as the characters the players loved to hate

>But if it's just you versus the crazies of a cult, it will be a bombastic shooter that oversimplifies a political reality in the US, and that serves no one.
Except people who want to play a fun game...

...I don't get it, actually.

Because one is an excuse of a "game" that didn't even want to tell a story, just a shitty political statement
Stanley Parable had more to its presentation and story. It wasn't made as an excuse to say something.

Here's those low standards in action

>he wasn't particularly complex or compelling
>but he was a good villain!

>All walksims are utterely shit
If you say so. And also TSP provides a good commentary on choice and linear/non-linear writing, actually, showing the advantages/disadvantages of either of them. It's something you usually see more in literature than vidya, though.

>progresist
I hope you didn't think this is a real word.

>So what definition of 'older' are you using here?

moddb.com/mods/the-stanley-parable

Older.

you know by the time I got to the final act and realized every single person, aside from the african warlord turn preacher, was an asshole and using me, I appreciated that Pagan Min was the only honest motherfucker in the entire country.

Anyone expecting any deep from a FC game where the focus is being a Michael Bay action character is gonna be sorely disappointed.

France should worry about getting their shit to fucking gather to standing on their soap box and lecturing the world about racism while Paris burns.

he did rule with an iron fist but at least he kept things in order before the golden path decided to fuck shit up, and even if you didn't like the way he ruled he would have given the country over to you so you could rule however you wanted

a videogame isn't a purely narrative experience mate
as long as the other elements are good a videogame does not need to match the standards of literature, just like books don't need to match the interactivity standards of videogames

get them while they are young
polarize the old
divide and conquer

>Montana has a 0.4% black population and all of those niggers prob live in the few cities.
>Far Cry 5 takes place in rural Montana and has several niggers in it, but no asians or natives.

Thank you canada

>Far Cry 5 can be seriously impactful
For fuck sakes, it's just a fucking game. Did GTA make all the nogs reflect on their criminal ways? Did Bully change the social interactions of kids in school?

Fuck off.

He helped bury your mother's ashes.

But that's a shitty excuse. I bet Nazi Germany was a great place to live, as long as you toed the line and never fucked up, ever.

>even if you didn't like the way he ruled he would have given the country over to you so you could rule however you wanted

Sure, but that didn't make anything he did up to that point ok.